The 2021 QB Crow thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

I say this as a general comment - the fan base has to remember this is a roster and coaching staff built by Elway, minus a few exceptions. It’s not going to turnaround anytime soon. It’s going to take bringing in a quality coaching staff and 2-3 years of solid drafts (could be accelerated with some free agent moves). Most importantly the roster needs a quarterback - I think most can agree on this point. Possibly drafting a quarterback and building the staff around that guy.

Elway gets credit for bringing another championship to Denver and subsequently destroying a once great franchise. This team is irrelevant despite the window dressing of a 3-2 record.
    The problem is, so far, with Paton they’ve continued to make same mistakes as previous years. Hopefully, next year things will start to change, as he gets to pick a coaching staff who will get to pick a QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

The problem is, so far, with Paton they’ve continued to make same mistakes as previous years. Hopefully, next year things will start to change, as he gets to pick a coaching staff who will get to pick a QB.
      It’s hard to turn things around quickly, although it seems he is trying the same failed strategy as Elway. Maybe he’s giving Fangio the respect as a veteran coach with a year to prove himself. If this team goes into 5-6 game losing streak it will be time to fire Fangio and Shurmur in the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

All those changes are needed. Just hope the fan base is ready for such a huge structural rebuild and all the inconsistent play and por results that come with it.

New coaching staff equates to a couple years of bringing in “ his players” to fit the new systems. It likely means expensive vets ( Miller? ) are leaving. Goi g to be a bumpy ride, I fully expect many Bronco fans to be just as disgruntled as they are today.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

All those changes are needed. Just hope the fan base is ready for such a huge structural rebuild and all the inconsistent play and por results that come with it.

New coaching staff equates to a couple years of bringing in “ his players” to fit the new systems. It likely means expensive vets ( Miller? ) are leaving. Goi g to be a bumpy ride, I fully expect many Bronco fans to be just as disgruntled as they are today.
          Tell that to the chargers
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

It should have started happening years ago. Von should have been traded in 2017.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I don’t think a full rebuild is needed, but they have to find a QB and competent coaching staff. They go with another “vet bridge” and glorified DC, expect more of the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

It should have started happening years ago. Von should have been traded in 2017.
                100% Von should have been traded.

Comment

If the Saints saw Teddy as a viable replacement for Brees they would have structured a contract to keep him.

Let’s say it wasn’t possible to keep Teddy with the Saints, even though it was. Take Carolina - they could have negotiated a long term deal with Teddy. Instead they moved to get Sam Darnold, who struggled in New York.

Bridgewater is a mediocre journeyman and everyone knows that. People just want to believe the Broncos made a good move to bring him to Denver. That’s what fans do.
                  Look, what you’re saying would make sense if that’s really what happened… Carolina already had Teddy under contract for 3 years, $63M when they signed him in 2020– meaning they already negotiated a multi-year deal with him in the first place. They saw a chance to take a flier on Darnold and dealt Teddy to us. We struck out on Stafford, Watson (thankfully), and Rodgers was always going to be unlikely at the time. Paton always maintained he wanted “competition” for Lock, and he ended up doing the most unsexy thing by bringing Teddy in, instead of drafting Fields or Jones later that same week. Turns out the “competition” beat out the incumbent and that’s who our starting QB is. Turns out the “competition” happens to still be in the elite tier of efficiency, EPA per play, and CPOE. If that’s what a mediocre journeyman does, sign me up. I understand Teddy’s reputation, I really do. I just happen to think he can have a good year at QB with us. That’s my opinion and I try my best to back it up with film and analytics. Do we need to be way better on 3rd down and in the red-zone? Absolutely. Does that fall on Teddy’s shoulders to improve upon as well? Absolutely.
                  https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Tell that to the chargers
                    They hit on their QB for their system. Wonder how MIA is feeling about Tua?

We can compare draft hits and misses all day long. You can cherry pick the successes, I can cherry pick the failures.

Doesn’t change the situation for the Broncos this season and into the future.

If Paton chooses the change up the coaching and draft a QB, so be it. But likely going to be some growing pains for a season or two as the figure it out. Rarely do the rookie QBs excel out of the gates. Especially with new coaches too.

My only hope is that when Paton chooses to make drastic changes, he does so boldly. Change the organizational desire to be safe and mediocre. Be bold enough to hire and more importantly support some innovative coaches and let them build around a QB they believe in. Examples would be BAL or ARZ.

My point is there are no guarantees that any plan works. Especially year one. Look no further than JAX. They drafted a proclaimed “generational QB” and are still struggling. Sometimes even great plans fall apart. Bronco fans have to be prepared for the reality of their desires and the team decisions.

Sorry, but the Broncos do not have a Divine Right to success. At the moment, they are just another bad team finding ways to lose. That starts at the top and cascades down to the players. Going to be interesting to see how they change it.

Comment

They hit on their QB for their system. Wonder how MIA is feeling about Tua?

We can compare draft hits and misses all day long. You can cherry pick the successes, I can cherry pick the failures.

Doesn’t change the situation for the Broncos this season and into the future.

If Paton chooses the change up the coaching and draft a QB, so be it. But likely going to be some growing pains for a season or two as the figure it out. Rarely do the rookie QBs excel out of the gates. Especially with new coaches too.

My only hope is that when Paton chooses to make drastic changes, he does so boldly. Change the organizational desire to be safe and mediocre. Be bold enough to hire and more importantly support some innovative coaches and let them build around a QB they believe in. Examples would be BAL or ARZ.

My point is there are no guarantees that any plan works. Especially year one. Look no further than JAX. They drafted a proclaimed “generational QB” and are still struggling. Sometimes even great plans fall apart. Bronco fans have to be prepared for the reality of their desires and the team decisions.

Sorry, but the Broncos do not have a Divine Right to success. At the moment, they are just another bad team finding ways to lose. That starts at the top and cascades down to the players. Going to be interesting to see how they change it.
                      I don't give a crap about starting over. We should have been done that. Trying to keep this ship up is the problem. Bust it up start over fresh....getting a Qb that is drafted. And not already on this team
                      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• I've said it before and I'll say it again...I don't have much belief in Paton solving our quarterback problem. All the years he was in Minnesota, what great quarterback did he help bring in aside from Brett Favre at the end of his career?

Bridgewater was a bust (still is). Overpaid for an average Kirk Cousins. Drafted Christian Ponder. It's a list of quarterbacks that are as putrid as the one's we've had in Denver.

And, sorry, but I don't think next year's class offers a franchise quarterback. The best may be Matt Corral but he shouldn't be drafted until the third round. All the others shouldn't be taken until day 3 of the draft. Of course, teams will do the same thing, make the same mistakes and draft these guys in first round. I just hope Paton doesn't.

Rodgers? No thanks. Too old and cost too much.

Watson? Only if he's cleared of all accusations.

Wilson? Don't think Seattle will trade him.

I can see us being in a bad way at quarterback for another year or two, at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                          Look, what you’re saying would make sense if that’s really what happened… Carolina already had Teddy under contract for 3 years, $63M when they signed him in 2020– meaning they already negotiated a multi-year deal with him in the first place. They saw a chance to take a flier on Darnold and dealt Teddy to us. We struck out on Stafford, Watson (thankfully), and Rodgers was always going to be unlikely at the time. Paton always maintained he wanted “competition” for Lock, and he ended up doing the most unsexy thing by bringing Teddy in, instead of drafting Fields or Jones later that same week. Turns out the “competition” beat out the incumbent and that’s who our starting QB is. Turns out the “competition” happens to still be in the elite tier of efficiency, EPA per play, and CPOE. If that’s what a mediocre journeyman does, sign me up. I understand Teddy’s reputation, I really do. I just happen to think he can have a good year at QB with us. That’s my opinion and I try my best to back it up with film and analytics. Do we need to be way better on 3rd down and in the red-zone? Absolutely. Does that fall on Teddy’s shoulders to improve upon as well? Absolutely.
                          The Panthers were desperate for a QB when they signed Teddy. The “Multi-Year” contract was only done to spread his $15 mil signing bonus over three years. It was basically a 1 year deal. They were desperate like the Broncos are every year for a QB.

Bridgewater was 4-11 as a starter and struggled to finish off drives and deliver in clutch situations at the end of games - sounds familiar to the game we saw yesterday. His struggles led to the Panthers making a move for Darnold. If Teddy’s great efficiency meant anything they would have kept him.

Fans can throw out efficiency to prop up Teddy, but he’s mediocre and everyone knows that, especially the teams who didn’t retain him.

Comment

The Panthers were desperate for a QB when they signed Teddy. The “Multi-Year” contract was only done to spread his $15 mil signing bonus over three years. It was basically a 1 year deal. They were desperate like the Broncos are every year for a QB.

Bridgewater was 4-11 as a starter and struggled to finish off drives and deliver in clutch situations at the end of games - sounds familiar to the game we saw yesterday. His struggles led to the Panthers making a move for Darnold. If Teddy’s great efficiency meant anything they would have kept him.

Fans can throw out efficiency to prop up Teddy, but he’s mediocre and everyone knows that, especially the teams who didn’t retain him.

This is what I was saying at the Start lol Teddy is no Starter in This League Back Up at Best. I actually think if Denver really wants to win they should start Brett can't be any worse then what you are getting out of Teddy and what is that 15 yards passing per Quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

This is what I was saying at the Start lol Teddy is no Starter in This League Back Up at Best. I actually think if Denver really wants to win they should start Brett can't be any worse then what you are getting out of Teddy and what is that 15 yards passing per Quarter.
                              I agree. I’m not critical of Teddy because I’m pushing for Lock, although a case could be made to give him every chance by having him as the starter. Rypien would not be worse than Teddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                                A good year with Teddy is 8-8, 9-7. That’s who he is, that’s who you are signing up for. The issue people have with this is that the front office failed to bring in something better than that. After years of this same, mediocre approach we get this.

That is not only not good enough, it’s unacceptable.
                                To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Working...
                                X