Best Defender in Broncos History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Defender in Broncos History?

Who is the Best Defender in Broncos History? For my money it is Randy Gradishar.

I know there might be some too young to remember, or some too caught up in the legend of Al Wilson being a great MLB, to know that Randy Gradishar is clearly the best defender the Broncos have had in their history.

Now I know people are going to say what about Champ, and rightfully so if Champ can continue this pace for another couple of years with the Broncos then he will hold the title as the "Best defender in Broncos history" along with the "Best CB in NFL history". But for right now that honor is bestowed upon Randy Gradishar and rightfully so, as he not only should be in the Hall of Fame, he should be talked about as one of the best ILB or MLB of all-time.

For all you Al Wilson worshipers you should know that Wilson could not hold Gradishar's jock strap when it comes to playing the MLB or ILB position. Gradishar could make every tackle in the book and he actually made them unlike Wilson. He never tried to go for the knockout blow, just the sure tackle, which would be a welcomed site from our current LB corp. Gradishar was also very good in coverage as he finished his 10-year NFL career with 20 INTs and returned them for 335 yards and 4 TDs.

Furthermore, Gradishar played in a 3-4 defensive scheme and had to shed Guards and Centers to get to the ball carrier and still made the play. That is the mark of a great player, because Gradishar didn't need 2 monsters at DT to eat up the O-Line so he could run around free, he just shed the O-Lineman himself and got to the ball carrier.

Gradishar played 10 glorious years for the Broncos, in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl 7 times including 6 straight trips from 1977 to 1983 when he retired at the top of his game. Gradishar embodied everything you wanted in a player; he was smart, hard nosed, quick, athletic, a team player, and a leader. All you need to know about how good Gradishar was is to hear legendary Ohio St. Coach Woody Hayes call Gradishar "the greatest linebacker I ever coached."

1. Gradishar
    2. Atwater
    3. Mecklenburgh
    4. Dennis Smith
    5. Tommy Jackson

Most Underrated: Tyrone Braxton

Comment

Good Call on the most underrated

Originally posted by rovolution
      1. Gradishar
      2. Atwater
      3. Mecklenburgh
      4. Dennis Smith
      5. Tommy Jackson

That was a good call on the most underrated defender in Broncos history and I would have Braxton right up there. Another one for the most Underrated would be Simon Fletcher, our all-time sacks leader and never got to a Pro Bowl, what a shame.

My Top 5 Defenders
      1. Randy Gradishar
      2. Champ Bailey
      3. Billy Thompson
      4. Rich Jackson
      5. Karl Mecklenburg

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD3430
        That was a good call on the most underrated defender in Broncos history and I would have Braxton right up there. Another one for the most Underrated would be Simon Fletcher, our all-time sacks leader and never got to a Pro Bowl, what a shame.

My Top 5 Defenders
        1. Randy Gradishar
        2. Champ Bailey
        3. Billy Thompson
        4. Rich Jackson
        5. Karl Mecklenburg
        How could i forget Champ?

Comment

Steve Atwater.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Who is the Best Defender in Broncos History? For my money it is Randy Gradishar.

I know there might be some too young to remember, or some too caught up in the legend of Al Wilson being a great MLB, to know that Randy Gradishar is clearly the best defender the Broncos have had in their history.

Now I know people are going to say what about Champ, and rightfully so if Champ can continue this pace for another couple of years with the Broncos then he will hold the title as the "Best defender in Broncos history" along with the "Best CB in NFL history". But for right now that honor is bestowed upon Randy Gradishar and rightfully so, as he not only should be in the Hall of Fame, he should be talked about as one of the best ILB or MLB of all-time.

For all you Al Wilson worshipers you should know that Wilson could not hold Gradishar's jock strap when it comes to playing the MLB or ILB position. Gradishar could make every tackle in the book and he actually made them unlike Wilson. He never tried to go for the knockout blow, just the sure tackle, which would be a welcomed site from our current LB corp. Gradishar was also very good in coverage as he finished his 10-year NFL career with 20 INTs and returned them for 335 yards and 4 TDs.

Furthermore, Gradishar played in a 3-4 defensive scheme and had to shed Guards and Centers to get to the ball carrier and still made the play. That is the mark of a great player, because Gradishar didn't need 2 monsters at DT to eat up the O-Line so he could run around free, he just shed the O-Lineman himself and got to the ball carrier.

Gradishar played 10 glorious years for the Broncos, in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl 7 times including 6 straight trips from 1977 to 1983 when he retired at the top of his game. Gradishar embodied everything you wanted in a player; he was smart, hard nosed, quick, athletic, a team player, and a leader. All you need to know about how good Gradishar was is to hear legendary Ohio St. Coach Woody Hayes call Gradishar "the greatest linebacker I ever coached."
            I love Gradishar, but I'm not sure it's necessary to take shots at our current LBs to sing his praises.
            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by rovolution
              1. Gradishar
              2. Atwater
              3. Mecklenburgh
              4. Dennis Smith
              5. Tommy Jackson

Damn fine list there. Champ would be #6 there and most likely would move up when all is said and done.
              The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Well, I think they're all just setting up Champ but for my money it would be Atwater. That guy could change a game.
                Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Champ Bailey for me.
                  XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

Also don't forget Ken Lanier, Steve Foley, Paul Smith, Rich Jackson - maybe not the best, but very good players.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

No shots to sing his praises

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
                      I love Gradishar, but I'm not sure it's necessary to take shots at our current LBs to sing his praises.
                      I am not taking shots to sing his praises, I am just saying he plays the game the way a great LB should and our current corp is falling well short of that. The missed tackles are happening too often amongst our corp now, but yet we still have people out there claiming they are the best.

Thats what this thread is about, the best defenders in Broncos history, and it there is only one right now that makes that list and his name is Champ Bailey.

Comment

Ken Lainer was a RT not a defensive player

Originally posted by Denver Native
                        Also don't forget Ken Lanier, Steve Foley, Paul Smith, Rich Jackson - maybe not the best, but very good players.
                        Ken Lainer played RT in the 80's & 90's for the Broncos, but the rest of those players are very good, but so were Simon Fletcher, Rulon Jones, Louis Wright, Lyle Alzado, Goose Gonsoulin, and Tyrone Braxton. This is nearing that list down to the single best defenders in this franchise's history, and yes it is a very tough list to make.

Comment

Ken Lainer played RT in the 80's & 90's for the Broncos, but the rest of those players are very good, but so were Simon Fletcher, Rulon Jones, Louis Wright, Lyle Alzado, Goose Gonsoulin, and Tyrone Braxton. This is nearing that list down to the single best defenders in this franchise's history, and yes it is a very tough list to make.
                          You are right about Lanier, and it was Simon Fletcher I had in mind.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Rick 'Tombstone' Jackson was a beast...

Karl Mecklenburg was the most versatile.

Comment

1. Champ
                              2. Gradishar
                              3. Tom Jackson
                              4. Dennis Smith
                              5. Louis Wright or Steve Atwalter

Comment

Working...
                              X