No announcement yet.

Pat Shurmur was awful today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When he has been good? Even in the wins the play calling hasn't been good and pretty basic. We start the game with 2 successful runs and then throw 3 times in a row then punt. I had a feeling it was going to be long day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Are you talking about the time out people want Vic to call near end of 1st half? Because all that happened is Shurmur called 3 passes that were incomplete and we gave the ball back to the Ravens. Calling a time out would have just made it easier for them to score. Call a time out maybe they get a TD instead of FG.

Hard to play smart ball when the offense has decided to call it a day.
      Using a timeout would have provided the time to NOT need to pass the ball three times - run plays still available to get a drive going. It also told the offense he had zero trust in them to run the two minute offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        As bad as Shurmur was, Fangio was dismal as well. Clock management was terrible and this wasn’t the first time. He either isn’t skilled enough to help Shurmur or lacks the courage to intervene, maybe both.
        It is literally every game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltsft View Post

It is literally every game.
          Yes.

It’s one thing to take unnecessary risks with 10-15 second left backed up in your own end, but there was nearly 2 minutes left and he let clock go when they stopped the Ravens.

Comment

Using a timeout would have provided the time to NOT need to pass the ball three times - run plays still available to get a drive going. It also told the offense he had zero trust in them to run the two minute offense.
            Oh I see. You still think Shurmur would have made better play calls even tho he did not in that situation to either take time off the clock or force the Ravens to use a timeout.

Even tho everything we saw the rest of the game says Shurmur would not have done that.
            Lets Ride!

Comment

Last Year I was calling for Pat Shurmur to be Fired for his Play Calling Atrociousness and Yet again another Year and we get the same results. There is a REASON why he was fired in Cleveland and with the NY Giants as they say we have been Shurmured. I swear do any of these Teams when going through the Hiring Process ever Vet these clowns? If a Vetting was done you would of found out why he go fired from those previous jobs and he should of never been hired in the 1st place. After yesterday's game if I was the HC I would of Axed him right on the spot. 1st of all How Do You have the Audacity to Force Feed us the Fans this Baloney on How Great Teddy B is LOL. What was his passing yards in the 1st Quarter 35 Yards LOL. The 2nd Quarter 15 Yards? Pathetic is what is. How do you have a Running Game that is getting you 6 yards per carry and you only give it to them less than 13 times? This alone should be the Reason why Pat gets canned in Denver however it will not happen as us Fans want to right this Sinking Ship as Fangio is Determined to go down with the Ship taking Pat with him so we are stuck at least the Rest of this Year Sad Times Yet Again In DBC !!

Comment

Oh I see. You still think Shurmur would have made better play calls even tho he did not in that situation to either take time off the clock or force the Ravens to use a timeout.

Even tho everything we saw the rest of the game says Shurmur would not have done that.
                Up to that point Shurmur called 12 runs for Gordon and Williams, averaging 6.5 and 6.3 yards per carry. It’s not a matter of thinking that was possible - he used the run up to that point. When Fangio let the clock burn, he removed the option of the run from Shurmur.

Comment

Up to that point Shurmur called 12 runs for Gordon and Williams, averaging 6.5 and 6.3 yards per carry. It’s not a matter of thinking that was possible - he used the run up to that point. When Fangio let the clock burn, he removed the option of the run from Shurmur.
                  Did letting the clock burn also remove Shurmur's option to run for the entire second half? Only like 5 rushing attempts in the second half, with the backup QB in. SMDH.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post

Did letting the clock burn also remove Shurmur's option to run for the entire second half? Only like 5 rushing attempts in the second half, with the backup QB in. SMDH.
                    Not sure why he mostly abandoned the run in the 2nd half - I think they only had 4 runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post
                      This game was bad from top to bottom. Offensive play calling was embarrassingly bad. Defensive conservative scheme was horrible. Neither coach adjusted. At all.

Player execution was also bad. Except for the following who caught my eye: Simmons, both RBs, and Caden Sterns (nice).

All that said, I'm chalking it up as one game, for now. On this coaching staff, I've wobbled between meh to very strong dislike. I'm really looking forward to next week. It might say everything about this team.
                      Simmons? He had a very poor game. As for Shurmur, IMO he didn't use the RB's enough but he did try to get the TE's involved. The first two pass plays Fant let one go through his hands and Albert O did the same. Albert let one go through his hands later wide open down the sideline. We have a sloppy offense, seven points at home and ten punts on twelve O drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Acedude View Post

Simmons? He had a very poor game. As for Shurmur, IMO he didn't use the RB's enough but he did try to get the TE's involved. The first two pass plays Fant let one go through his hands and Albert O did the same. Albert let one go through his hands later wide open down the sideline. We have a sloppy offense, seven points at home and ten punts on twelve O drives.
                        It seemed like the safeties were tasked to focus on the run. Simmons was in on a lot of those tackles, which is what caught my eye. But, if I'm wrong about assignment(very possible), then his pass defense was pretty disappointing.

I expected the RBs far more involved too, both rushing and passing. I think that could have changed the game. That drop by Albert O was crushing. I'm not a reactionary guy but that one almost pulled me out of my chair. Fant seems less focused this year to me. Oh well, bring on the stillers, I guess.

Comment

No one should be suprised at shurmurs playcalling by now. Poor coaching and poor executions leads to losses. Im not impressed with the defensive playcalling either

I agree with the poster about fant. He so far has looked pretty lacking this year.

Paton has setup the offense to be pap style but shurmur doesnt seem interested in doing that.
                          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

So if Shurmur reads this thread he might be scratching his head, saying something like, "what did I do again today that was so bad??!!"

Comment

Removed the option? Any good coach would have done something to either let the clock run or force an time out to prevent the other team from scoring.

We just got done with a 8 plays (5 pass, 3 run) that gained 26 yards and the only successful drive so far had more runs (4) than passes (1). If like you say the run game was taken off the table anyone with a bit of common sense who was paying attention to the game would realize no way were we going to have a successful drive so priority one should have been killing the clock so the Ravens do not score at the end of the half.

Or maybe you are right...maybe at the end of the half we should have thought FINALLY we will get a handle on this pass rush that is killing us and have a successful drive by passing the ball....
                              Lets Ride!

Comment

Removed the option? Any good coach would have done something to either let the clock run or force an time out to prevent the other team from scoring.

We just got done with a 8 plays (5 pass, 3 run) that gained 26 yards and the only successful drive so far had more runs (4) than passes (1). If like you say the run game was taken off the table anyone with a bit of common sense who was paying attention to the game would realize no way were we going to have a successful drive so priority one should have been killing the clock so the Ravens do not score at the end of the half.

Or maybe you are right...maybe at the end of the half we should have thought FINALLY we will get a handle on this pass rush that is killing us and have a successful drive by passing the ball....
                                This is the style of play that loses games. If you’re not aggressive, you’re just not in it as far as I’m concerned. Fangio being content at ends of halves shows absolutely no aggressiveness whatsoever. What kind of team leadership is that? No disrespect here to all those that are backing up Fangio not calling timeout, but seriously where has the attacking mentality gone? Regardless of what the offense was or was not going to do before the half ended, it is still unacceptable in my eyes that the timeout was not called in order to try and score before the half ended. Not calling a timeout is an example of a scared team. Scared to give the opponent more time if you fail. The mindset of this team should be one that does not accept failure, and that is why the coaching staff needs to go. Everyone backing up Fangio not calling a timeout is literally admitting that the coaching staff has faults and, once again, is playing scared to lose. This is completely unacceptable, and not a true virtue of a winning team.

Comment

Working...
                                X