Pat Shurmur was awful today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Removed the option? Any good coach would have done something to either let the clock run or force an time out to prevent the other team from scoring.

We just got done with a 8 plays (5 pass, 3 run) that gained 26 yards and the only successful drive so far had more runs (4) than passes (1). If like you say the run game was taken off the table anyone with a bit of common sense who was paying attention to the game would realize no way were we going to have a successful drive so priority one should have been killing the clock so the Ravens do not score at the end of the half.

Or maybe you are right...maybe at the end of the half we should have thought FINALLY we will get a handle on this pass rush that is killing us and have a successful drive by passing the ball....
    Scoring to get your team within one score is the priority, especially with ample time. Only a coach with a losing mindset believes your offense can’t be successful on any drive regardless of what happened to that point.

Using your argument they should have forfeited the game after the first half:

”They didn’t play well at the end of the first half - game over…”

If you don’t believe the offense can score based on a previous drive just quit the game. That’s literally your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by SocoBronco View Post

This is the style of play that loses games. If you’re not aggressive, you’re just not in it as far as I’m concerned. Fangio being content at ends of halves shows absolutely no aggressiveness whatsoever. What kind of team leadership is that? No disrespect here to all those that are backing up Fangio not calling timeout, but seriously where has the attacking mentality gone? Regardless of what the offense was or was not going to do before the half ended, it is still unacceptable in my eyes that the timeout was not called in order to try and score before the half ended. Not calling a timeout is an example of a scared team. Scared to give the opponent more time if you fail. The mindset of this team should be one that does not accept failure, and that is why the coaching staff needs to go. Everyone backing up Fangio not calling a timeout is literally admitting that the coaching staff has faults and, once again, is playing scared to lose. This is completely unacceptable, and not a true virtue of a winning team.
      💯

The argument is basically, “Fangio didn’t want to give the Ravens time to score.”

Now it’s fine for the coach to tell the team he doesn’t believe in the offense and defense.

Letting the clock burn removed the chance to still be able to run the ball. Start with a good run play on first down opens an easier chance to get a first down. Build on the first down, etc. McManus has plenty of leg for a long FG.

Put some belief in your team they can succeed on the next drive regardless of what happened. Fangio threw the surrender flag.

Total lack of confidence by Fangio and Shurmur. That’s a reflection on them - losing mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

💯

The argument is basically, “Fangio didn’t want to give the Ravens time to score.”

Now it’s fine for the coach to tell the team he doesn’t believe in the offense and defense.

Letting the clock burn removed the chance to still be able to run the ball. Start with a good run play on first down opens an easier chance to get a first down. Build on the first down, etc. McManus has plenty of leg for a long FG.

Put some belief in your team they can succeed on the next drive regardless of what happened. Fangio threw the surrender flag.

Total lack of confidence by Fangio and Shurmur. That’s a reflection on them - losing mindset.
        Very true. I’m surprised that this call isn’t being talked about more as it is a true example of the mindset of Broncos leadership. That team completely sees that lack of confidence from the coaching staff and I believe that was a catalyst to the dismal second half performance.

Paton’s Vikings were not overtly and predictably conservative like this team is. They scored as much as they were able to do. Time continues to tell how he handles issues like this, but I have to believe that he won’t put up with the lackluster coaching. I really do believe it’s a young coach’s league, and Paton needs to focus on bringing in unpredictability and an attacking mentality with a young coach soon.

Comment

Coaches with a losing mindset let a clock burn down at the end of the first half. No fight in Fangio or Shurmur.

Comment

Originally posted by SocoBronco View Post

Very true. I’m surprised that this call isn’t being talked about more as it is a true example of the mindset of Broncos leadership. That team completely sees that lack of confidence from the coaching staff and I believe that was a catalyst to the dismal second half performance.

Paton’s Vikings were not overtly and predictably conservative like this team is. They scored as much as they were able to do. Time continues to tell how he handles issues like this, but I have to believe that he won’t put up with the lackluster coaching. I really do believe it’s a young coach’s league, and Paton needs to focus on bringing in unpredictability and an attacking mentality with a young coach soon.
            The thing about Fangio is that this wasn’t the first time. If this were the first time it could be chalked up to inexperience. This is his third season.

We’ll see how the team responds.

Comment

Poor Pat, he probably went back to 2006, and dusted off an old game plan he felt would work against their DC. He didn’t realize he had entire second half tape from last week to see what works against BAL, as DET had 3 drives where Ravens couldn’t stop them.

i don’t think he understands concept of using TEs over the middle, or having RBs run a wheel route.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                Poor Pat, he probably went back to 2006, and dusted off an old game plan he felt would work against their DC. He didn’t realize he had entire second half tape from last week to see what works against BAL, as DET had 3 drives where Ravens couldn’t stop them.

i don’t think he understands concept of using TEs over the middle, or having RBs run a wheel route.
                I expected far more TE & RB routes in shallow/medium, center of the field. But, I hadn't thought about it until your post - I don't remember a lot of seam routes or targets between the hashmarks this year. Am I forgetting or is this another shurmer thing? Seems like missed opportunities, considering all of Denver's TEs can run.

Comment

Shurmur had every reason in the book to not abandon the run in the second half.

A) he basically abandoned it in the 2nd quarter and we ended up down 17-7 by halftime
                  B) he had two backup guards starting who are stronger in the run game than in the passing game (for now)
                  C) his two headed monster running back tandem was averaging 6+ yards a carry
                  D) your starting QB just went out at halftime with a concussion and your backup, who had been a starter but had lost his position, was fixing to start the second half with 0 reps with the Starters this week
                  E) your two fastest, most agile WRs were injured (one for the season) and you can no longer go over the top as easily with their speed gone
                  F) this allowed their DBs to play up more and anticipate shorter routes
                  G) had he stuck with the run, he may have forced the safeties to come up more to help stop the run, giving us more one on one opportunities for the deep 50/50 balls for Sutton and Patrick

Shurmur panicked. I don’t know why, but that is the only way to explain what happened.

If we go to a 1-3 Pittsburgh and play poorly again (circa 2019, 2020), and we are not force feeding our RBs the ball and letting Lock throw out of the play action boot legs, I feel this season is lost. I know I shouldn’t be so negative so early on, but people are who they are. I love Fangio’s defense, but this will be a repeating record if we can’t take care of the Steelers. We’ve got to be better.
                  Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                  Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                  Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Was the new addition, Moore?, not ready? It seems they could have told him in the huddle, "go deep!" Some kind of speed diversion might have helped. It surely couldn't have hurt. Sutton doesn't have the jets and simply doesn't look right to me.

Comment

Broncos have the fastest TE tandem in the league and they are rarely used. Plus they are halfway decent at blocking the run. Have no idea why they aren't using them more
                      Manning to Thomas ev'ry day, all day.

Comment

Pat Shurmur needs to be shown the door. He has two elite tightends and we rarely see them on the field together. Heck, experiment and put all three (including Saubert) in together and see what happens since 3-4 wide receiver formations are clearly not working. Why he stopped running the ball is another case perhaps the X-Files can solve.

Comment

Between the awful playcalling, the refusal to go for it on a few 4th downs where we needed to go for it, and the refs refusing to throw flags against Baltimore, this game was just a disaster, and the sad part is, had we been more aggressive in playcalling, we could have won this game. We were never out of this game until the last 7 minutes. Pat needs to go, I can't watch his offense anymore.

Comment

He's been terrible all year. Broncos fans are so drunk on success because we haven't seen it in so long.

My favorite part was him nearly crying about how if the coaches get praise, it's because the players executed.

The Broncos won their playoffs. Got too close to the sun and got burned. Now for the Icarus fall
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I blame Elway - after all he hired Fangio who in turn hired Shurmur.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                                I blame Elway - after all he hired Fangio who in turn hired Shurmur.
                                I want Wrinkles back....
                                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                                X