Bench Teddy and Start Brett Rypien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

Well they did have a TC last year, but either way he had TC this year and still sucks. What else you got?

In fairness, Teddy B is learning a new system this year, so do only certain players get the excuses?
    He didn’t suck, some would say he outplayed Bridgewater

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post

In all fairness, I think you can at the very least say Lock is a major disappointment having regressed and reverted to many of his bad habits. The fact that he was unable to establish himself as the starter versus a quarterback who was traded for a sixth round pick does not bode well. Right now, he is not a starting quarterback in this league. And he can’t shown anything that would signal he is going to be. He’s in his third year. I’ll grant you, he’s not as bad as Paxton Lynch. So maybe he doesn’t belong in the CFL, but anywhere he goes in the NFL he belongs holding a clipboard based on what he’s done so far.

The Broncos have equipped their quarterback room with a journeyman middling quarterback, a back up and a practice squad player. That’s reality. True, we have a bad OC. But to say it’s not partly about talent is missing something.
      Did he regress? No.

Comment

In all fairness, I think you can at the very least say Lock is a major disappointment having regressed and reverted to many of his bad habits. The fact that he was unable to establish himself as the starter versus a quarterback who was traded for a sixth round pick does not bode well. Right now, he is not a starting quarterback in this league. And he can’t shown anything that would signal he is going to be. He’s in his third year. I’ll grant you, he’s not as bad as Paxton Lynch. So maybe he doesn’t belong in the CFL, but anywhere he goes in the NFL he belongs holding a clipboard based on what he’s done so far.

The Broncos have equipped their quarterback room with a journeyman middling quarterback, a back up and a practice squad player. That’s reality. True, we have a bad OC. But to say it’s not partly about talent is missing something.
        I don’t have to say any of that. Lock had a QB rating over 100 in the preseason. I don’t know how good or bad Lock would look until/unless he actually plays. Maybe he learned from last year, maybe he hasn’t. Maybe he would succeed with Shurmur’s awful play calling, likely he wouldn’t. Either way, I’m not gonna say he’s regressed based on zero evidence that he has.

Lock clearly has talent. He took over a 3-8 team and finished the year 4-1 with them. With a rookie OC. A QB that doesn’t have talent doesn’t do that.

There are only 2 questions to answer in regards to Lock. A) has he matured at all from last year’s abysmal season? And B) is the current coaching staff good enough to maximize his talents so he looks like 2019 Lock rather than 2020 Lock?

We won’t get an answer until he is given the full nod to start for this team. And that isn’t happening any time soon. The coaching staff is clearly going to ride with Teddy until the season is lost. By then it won’t matter how Lock performs. But at least if he looks decent, we won’t have to waste yet another offseason QB shopping.
        Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

I don’t have to say any of that. Lock had a QB rating over 100 in the preseason. I don’t know how good or bad Lock would look until/unless he actually plays. Maybe he learned from last year, maybe he hasn’t. Maybe he would succeed with Shurmur’s awful play calling, likely he wouldn’t. Either way, I’m not gonna say he’s regressed based on zero evidence that he has.

Lock clearly has talent. He took over a 3-8 team and finished the year 4-1 with them. With a rookie OC. A QB that doesn’t have talent doesn’t do that.

There are only 2 questions to answer in regards to Lock. A) has he matured at all from last year’s abysmal season? And B) is the current coaching staff good enough to maximize his talents so he looks like 2019 Lock rather than 2020 Lock?

We won’t get an answer until he is given the full nod to start for this team. And that isn’t happening any time soon. The coaching staff is clearly going to ride with Teddy until the season is lost. By then it won’t matter how Lock performs. But at least if he looks decent, we won’t have to waste yet another offseason QB shopping.
          Lock is more talented than you or me, sure. He was a decent quarterback in a simple college system. Talent? For sure. That’s not the question. The question is good enough to be a starter in the NFL and I say he hasn’t shown anything yet that would suggest that. Do you think Lock played well enough to be a starter? Based on what?

Lock was bad last year. He didn’t play well enough in preseason to win the starting job. By all accounts Teddy won that job over him. And that’s the evidence I have, in his third year he didn’t play well enough in the team activities, in training camp and in the preseason to beat a mediocre journeyman quarterback.

You actually have no evidence for what you say. A preseason rating? Really? Please. This is all based on some belief, and what I believe to be erroneous belief, that Lock has the talent to be a starting NFL quarterback. But if you can point to anything that is evidence for that, then you’re magical.

And as much as I wish you were right (I really do) we absolutely are back hunting for a quarterback this off season because we have zero clarity at the position right now. See every quarterback debate since PFM. Your arguments sounds like all of these…Sanchez, Flacco, Keenum, Siemien, Lynch, Teddy…. Lock. Rinse and repeat. Sigh. Tiring.

To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

. But if you can point to anything that is evidence for that, then you’re magical.
            I already did and you completely ignored it.
            Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

They aren’t switching QBs at least until Jeudy is back. All these injuries gives Shurmur an excuse for why his offense isn’t executing. If the offense looks as inept with Jeudy as they have the past couple weeks, then they might consider a QB switch. But hopefully not before they give Pat his walking papers. I want to see Lock get one more chance, but not with the worst play caller in the NFL.
              Watching the Cowboys running backs get 20 yards running around the edge repeatedly while we run up the gut over and over is infuriating. A strong running game takes pressure off the QB.

I will say the team gelled in the fourth quarter the int aside.
              [sigpic

Comment

I already did and you completely ignored it.
                You mean the very small sample of play during his rookie season and a preseason stat line? I didn’t ignore it. I simply pointed out that this is dwarfed by an entire year of poor play last year and then he lost out to a middling quarterback though all of OTCs, training camp and preseason.

At this point, any belief that Lock is a starting caliber NFL quarterback would have to be based not in fact or evidence but faith and belief. And this opinion would be in a very tiny minority that doesn’t include most NFL coaches, analysts and pundits.

But don’t get me wrong. My sense is you and I are arguing different points. I think you are saying Drew should be allowed to play. I don’t have an issue with that at this point. Certainly better to do this and try to see if Lock has anything there, however unlikely, than letting one-year Teddy play out. I’m mainly being critical that this is the quarterback room the front office went with and there isn’t a bonafide starter here when they should have drafted someone.

The fact that we disagree about Lock doesn’t mean we can’t both agree this organization is colossally mismanaged at the quarterback position.
                To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Teddy didn't play marvelous Sunday no doubt. That said, we can't always wait until the 4th Quarter to open up our offense more. We got nothing significant running, we did stick to it. We set up obvious pass downs a ton. We didn't isolate Fant in what he is good at, or Williams or Gordon in the pass game. Moore can run sprints try one time to get him a mismatch too. They did throw at him one time. Rypien, Lock, Bridgewater they all have no shot if we can't win the run game as we really don't have enough WR/TE mismatches healthy. We lacked energy and focus defensively too. The NFL is too balanced to bring a B game when your A game is well above average defensively but your offense is not. Our 4th down efficiency is phenomenal still. Maybe some of those plays on 3rd down could help with that efficiency?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                    Does any sort of logic go into posts on this forum anymore? They’re not going to bench Teddy at 3-2, is this serious? Lol

Who are they going to bench him for? Lock, who was way worse last year, or Rypien, who’s barely a practice squad level QB.

They put all their eggs in the Bridgewater basket this year, for better or worse he’s the QB. We might see Lock for a few games late in season if/when things go south, but that’ll be it. There isn’t a QB savior that’s going to magically appear, Bridgewater is all we got.

So you ask does any Logic go into these Post these days and for this one I say yes. Listen Denver is still stuck on Wash Rinse Repeat with these Lame Duck QBs just like Dirtball Teddy 8 year Vet Bridgewater. Try something else to get a spark and see where it goes with Brett not Lock because we all know that Lock is not the Answer any more as Lock is just a shell now. However you can’t tell me that Teddy is better than Brett 😂 .

Comment

Don’t want Rypien anywhere near the field unless Teddy and Drew are both hospitalized.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                      Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

If Rypien was better than Teddy, he would not be the 3rd string QB and he would not have even sniffed the practice squad this year. But guess what? He did.

Starting Rypien is not some inspirational Disney movie spark that would magically raise our team's overall level of play. What can he do that Teddy or Lock can't already do? Starting someone else for the sake of starting someone else is a recipe for a good ole' tank job. He's a good QB3 for what it is worth.
                        https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

If TB is not going to start, then Lock is next up.
                          As much as I am disappointed with Lock, I still think he can play QB.
                          How good or bad he becomes, is another story. He needs 32 starts at least, to determine if he can be an NFL starter.
                          (No thanks on Brett.)
                          https://i.imgur.com/YpWz9fm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                            If Rypien was better than Teddy, he would not be the 3rd string QB and he would not have even sniffed the practice squad this year. But guess what? He did.

Starting Rypien is not some inspirational Disney movie spark that would magically raise our team's overall level of play. What can he do that Teddy or Lock can't already do? Starting someone else for the sake of starting someone else is a recipe for a good ole' tank job. He's a good QB3 for what it is worth.
                            A Good # 3 that is Better than the current # 1. Give Brett a shot it cannot hurt anymore than Teddy throwing for 15 yards per Quarter LOL .

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

A Good # 3 that is Better than the current # 1. Give Brett a shot it cannot hurt anymore than Teddy throwing for 15 yards per Quarter LOL .
                              What proof do you have that our 3rd QB is better than our current starter? Just a gut feeling?

Let's break down Teddy "15 yards per Quarter LOL" Bridgewater, shall we?

1Q:
                              1st & 10 - PENALTY
                              1st & 15 - Gordon run for 1 yard
                              2nd & 14 - Gordon run for 5 yards
                              3rd & 9 - Teddy to Patrick for 5 yards
                              PUNT
                              1st & 10 - Williams run for 2 yards
                              2nd & 8 - Williams run for -4 yards
                              3rd & 12 - Teddy to Williams for 10 yards
                              FG

Tell me, what's the problem here? Do you think Rypien does better in this play script?
                              https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

If you have an issue with Teddy’s arm, well Rypien has an even worse arm. Best case for Brett is that he eventually develops up to Teddy’s level.

Comment

Working...
                                X