Bench Teddy and Start Brett Rypien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Teddy wanted to start and didn’t know when Brees would retire, plus they were strapped to the cap because of Brees so not only would they have to hamper the team even more to resign him as a backup, Teddy had no intention of going back. They couldn’t have him no matter how bad they wanted him, which they clearly did or else they wouldn’t have given up a 3rd round pick for them. And Sean Payton seems to know a thing or two about how to maximize a QB’s ability.

Carolina could have kept him, they opted to go with Sam Darnold. So far both QBs have had a similar story this year. 3-0 against subpar teams to start the season and 0-2 the last 2 games although Darnold’s propensity to turn the ball over is starting to rear its head again. It’ll take at least the rest of the season before we know really know if Carolina was right to pay our starting QB for the season for a 6th round pick. As it stands right now, it seems like it was a lateral move for them. Although I do think Teddy would at least be 4-1 with them right now.
    Put the right contract in front of a player and they’ll stay. If he was the guy for the future of NO they could have made the moves to structure a deal to get Teddy to stay.

As for Carolina they opted to part ways because Teddy didn’t show them enough. If he had played well they wouldn’t have needed to consider Darnold. That doesn’t mean Teddy can’t play well the rest of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by 86rocco View Post

Which two look the part to you?
      Corral and willis
      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

As for starting Rypien that’s very unlikely unless Bridgewater is injured again and Lock has another disastrous outing.

Rypien wouldn’t be worse than Teddy - I haven’t seen anything from Teddy that Rypien can’t do. However the Broncos brought in Teddy and they’re not going to change quarterbacks after a couple of losses.

Fans will elevate a player once they don the uniform. This is the case with Bridgewater. What he couldn’t do before will change because you know, “Broncos”.

Bridgewater is a very likable guy and journeyman veteran. He came back from a horrific injury and I have massive respect for him - tough guy. I had the Broncos at 9-8 with a 1-2 game swing. The team is trending to 8-9 or 7-10 as they looked unprepared to play in back to back games. Lot of football to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Corral and willis
          Good deal, was just hoping no one is on the Rattler bandwagon anymore. Not that you ever were but living in Oklahoma he was all the hype locally and some nationally but something isn’t there right now with his mental game. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near the Broncos unless significant maturing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Put the right contract in front of a player and they’ll stay. If he was the guy for the future of NO they could have made the moves to structure a deal to get Teddy to stay.

As for Carolina they opted to part ways because Teddy didn’t show them enough. If he had played well they wouldn’t have needed to consider Darnold. That doesn’t mean Teddy can’t play well the rest of this season.
            Not all players, Teddy wanted to start and rightfully so and at the time, Brees had no timeline. Similar thing happened to us with Osweiler and Peyton actually retired, but there was no amount of money we could’ve given him that offseason to make stay.

Teddy didn’t show them enough, it doesn’t mean they were right to give up on him after a season. They may very well be looking for a new QB this offseason too if that’s their approach to the situation because Darnold isn’t really looking that much better with Carolina than he did with the Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              I highly doubt there's another Denver QB who could match Teddy's rate of 106.1 (same as Mahomes), yards/attempt of 7.9 (same as Brady), completion % of 69.8 (better than majority of QBs), and have but 1 interception, to date. His 7 TDs (Lamar has 8) are on the low side, but we do have a run game.

Stay the course with Teddy, unless he falters, or we are out of it.
              I did not want to repeat the stats so I quoted myself. TB's stats are fine.

Lets not forget, it takes an entire organization to win games. From the top brass down, from the decision makers to the folks who get the job done. It's not just about the QB, or in this case, a seasoned pro who is doing a pretty good job.

If The Broncos built this year's team thinking that Teddy or Drew was going to be a pro bowler, I'd be surprised. I believe they were hoping for good production from whoever started (even Rypien), but saw positives in the D, in the run game, and in various aspects of the game. For The Broncos to be in the hunt, it was not based solely on superior QBing, because that would have been unrealistic. We are not a Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Brady, Rogers team.

Injuries have been an issue again, though I stay away from that wherever I can, because other teams have dealt with big issues as well. But overall, we are who we are. So far that's a fairly strong D, a roughly average QB, and some nice weapons. Whether the GM and company have made the right decisions is hard to gauge, and whether our coaches / coordinators have performed at their best has been challenged by many.

Team game.....

Comment

Not all players, Teddy wanted to start and rightfully so and at the time, Brees had no timeline. Similar thing happened to us with Osweiler and Peyton actually retired, but there was no amount of money we could’ve given him that offseason to make stay.

Teddy didn’t show them enough, it doesn’t mean they were right to give up on him after a season. They may very well be looking for a new QB this offseason too if that’s their approach to the situation because Darnold isn’t really looking that much better with Carolina than he did with the Jets.
                Different scenario with Osweiler as he was big mad at being benched. We don’t know because Elway didn’t even attempt to beat the offer by Houston - why should they as he wasn’t proven at that point.

Teddy didn’t give Carolina any confidence to keep him. He’s an average at best quarterback and has the opportunity to make a career in Denver. We’ll see how he responds vs Raiders.

Comment

He’s an average at best quarterback
                  This is my issue, where does this come from? Because the prevailing thought that comes with this statement is that’s all he’ll ever be. Yet people feel differently about guys like Darnold and Winston. Teddy is only going into his 4th year starting, same as Darnold, and less than Winston, but a lot of people think those 2 can still be developed and Teddy is who he is. It doesn’t matter that Teddy has been in the league 8 seasons, as generally QBs won’t get better by not playing. And I know people can’t be thinking this because of perceived physical limitations, because we’ve seen many QBs with similar limitations have good to all time great careers.

Comment

This is my issue, where does this come from? Because the prevailing thought that comes with this statement is that’s all he’ll ever be. Yet people feel differently about guys like Darnold and Winston. Teddy is only going into his 4th year starting, same as Darnold, and less than Winston, but a lot of people think those 2 can still be developed and Teddy is who he is. It doesn’t matter that Teddy has been in the league 8 seasons, as generally QBs won’t get better by not playing. And I know people can’t be thinking this because of perceived physical limitations, because we’ve seen many QBs with similar limitations have good to all time great careers.
                    Well, to kinda answer your question, you only have to look to Minnesota. If they believed Teddy was more than just a back up, why not keep him instead of giving Cousins a ridiculous deal? They saw him in practices and games to know whether or not they should keep him.

In his career so far, he has been replaced by Darnold twice.

He gets a pass for what happened in New Orleans because Brees came back for another year.
                    Last edited by broncolee; 10-15-2021, 03:21 PM.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                    Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

Where is the evidence he’ll be better than average? That’s what he’s been thus far.

Can he be better? Sure anything is possible.

Comment

This is my issue, where does this come from?
                        Watching him play QB.

Comment

Where is the evidence he’ll be better than average? That’s what he’s been thus far.

Can he be better? Sure anything is possible.

People said that about josh Allen his first couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                            People said that about josh Allen his first couple years.
                            They were wrong.

Allen had been in the league for a short time. Teddy has been around for 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Well, to kinda answer your question, you only have to look to Minnesota. If they believed Teddy was more than just a back up, why not keep him instead giving Cousins a ridiculous deal? They saw him in practices and games to know whether or not they should keep him.

In his career so far, he has been replaced by Darnold twice.

He gets a pass for what happened in New Orleans because Brees came back for another year.
                              He was coming off an injury that could’ve ended his career. The Vikings had no real idea other than a handful of reps he got as their third string QB as he was working his way back nearly 2 years later. That’s a leap of faith no coaching staff is willing to take especially when they had just made it to the championship game with Case Keenum, who at that point was a career backup. They were looking for a QB to get them over the hump, not take a chance hoping Teddy would still be on the same career progression he was on 2 years prior.

And again in New York, Darnold had just been drafted and they were determined to start him for better or worse. Teddy outplayed him in camp and in the preseason, that’s why he was traded for a 3rd round pick, which is astounding given all the questions around Teddy at the time and the extremely limited sample size since the injury. If the Jets kept him, there would’ve been pressure to start him very early into the season and as bad as the Jets were at developing Darnold, they at least managed to avoid killing his confidence early by benching him.

Fast forward to this season and Teddy looks to have improved his game while Darnold is still the same 1:1 TD:Turnover QB he’s always been (11 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4 fumbles). Meanwhile Teddy looks to be improving from what he did in New Orleans in his 5 starts there. 9 TDs to 2 picks in New Orleans, 7 TDs to 1 pick here (and yes it was a horrific INT any way you look at it) while also throwing for nearly 80 more yards a game here. The only reason there’s a difference in the record is the absolutely horrific game plans we’ve put out the past 2 weeks.

Comment

He was coming off an injury that could’ve ended his career. The Vikings had no real idea other than a handful of reps he got as their third string QB as he was working his way back nearly 2 years later. That’s a leap of faith no coaching staff is willing to take especially when they had just made it to the championship game with Case Keenum, who at that point was a career backup. They were looking for a QB to get them over the hump, not take a chance hoping Teddy would still be on the same career progression he was on 2 years prior.

And again in New York, Darnold had just been drafted and they were determined to start him for better or worse. Teddy outplayed him in camp and in the preseason, that’s why he was traded for a 3rd round pick, which is astounding given all the questions around Teddy at the time and the extremely limited sample size since the injury. If the Jets kept him, there would’ve been pressure to start him very early into the season and as bad as the Jets were at developing Darnold, they at least managed to avoid killing his confidence early by benching him.

Fast forward to this season and Teddy looks to have improved his game while Darnold is still the same 1:1 TD:Turnover QB he’s always been (11 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4 fumbles). Meanwhile Teddy looks to be improving from what he did in New Orleans in his 5 starts there. 9 TDs to 2 picks in New Orleans, 7 TDs to 1 pick here (and yes it was a horrific INT any way you look at it) while also throwing for nearly 80 more yards a game here. The only reason there’s a difference in the record is the absolutely horrific game plans we’ve put out the past 2 weeks.
                                Now do Carolina vs New Orleans.

Comment

Working...
                                X