X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Teddy is who we have Starting not who we really want to see. What is the worst that can happen? Brett might actually pass for more than 15 Yards per Quarter? Brett I actually think is even better than Checkdown Teddy. Teddy is at best just a Back Up QB. Oh Well What Do Us Fans Know 😂.
    Limited experience for Rypien however I haven’t seen anything from Teddy showing he’s better. If Teddy can’t do more than show up for late game stats then it’s time to give another guy a shot.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    Teddy is who we have Starting not who we really want to see. What is the worst that can happen? Brett might actually pass for more than 15 Yards per Quarter? Brett I actually think is even better than Checkdown Teddy. Teddy is at best just a Back Up QB. Oh Well What Do Us Fans Know 😂.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    I saw that too when we traded for Teddy. Didn't make me feel any better at the time since I wanted Fields pretty badly. I think what a lot of people are realizing is that Joe Brady isn't the greatest offensive mind and a lot of the way they go about preparing and practicing their gameplan is flawed. OL for Carolina is still a turnstile this year as it was last year. Again, with Darnold it was a lateral move. Trade away the safe, conservative Teddy for the aggressive, reckless Darnold-- but hope that him being only 24 and coming out of a terrible Adam Gase era will help kickstart his redemption story. I just hope both us and the Panthers figure it out offensively and I hope there is a world where we are happy with the QBs we have, no matter the reputation they had coming into our respective teams.

If Teddy fizzles out this year then I am cool with moving on. To me, he isn't a career backup or bottom-tier journeyman QB until he actually shows that he is a liability as a starter and doesn't have starter level traits. Those are labels reserved for the Chase Daniels, Blaine Gabberts, Mike Glennons, Brian Hoyers, and Jacoby Brissetts of the NFL. Those are the career backups. Those are the journeymens. If he is an average starting NFL quarterback, then at least he is average for a starting QB. Puts him at the top 16-20 in the world, not bad. I get that mediocrity is unacceptable, but sometimes when you have a roster that is constructed with so much money tied to the defense with high-level vets and the team just so happens to not quite be a dumpster fire like the Jaguars or Jets-- then the least risky option to elevate the team is a game manager QB.

When Teddy actually outright loses us games and fails to execute on a consistent basis, then the fair evaluation once a clear pattern emerges or once the season ends will be that he isn't a viable starting QB and it would be time to get a new one. It's simple as that. It's just my opinion that he isn't the problem with this football team right now. Could he play better? Of course. Could he stand to be a little more patient with his downfield reads? Of course. Could he trust his OL to protect him just a tad longer and WRs/TEs to make a play more, instead of checking down after two reads? Of course. I think there is a lot this team can improve on, and I am excited to see how Teddy fares as he settles in and develops chemistry with the offense over the course of the season. Also, Jeudy should be back around Week 8 or 9 so that will be a huge boost to our offense and it will be nice to have a WR that can generate consistent separation as opposed to our bigger, lumber guys like Sutton, Patrick, and Fant.
    Darnold is reckless, yet Teddy had almost one INT for each TD last season.

“Outright loses” gives room to always put the blame on everyone but Teddy. He played horrible last Sunday except a few minutes late in the game, then threw a pick to seal the loss.

Well, good discussion and appreciate your thoughts out into the posts. We’ll hope for things to click earlier this coming game. Bridgewater is who we have.

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Oh, if you want to do Reddit - what fans said when Teddy was traded:

“He's a T1 backup. His whole shtick is not making bad decisions and throwing the ball to the other team. After Denver realizes he's not a starter and dumps him he will have a very cushy back end of his career racking in millions as a solid backup. He deserved a shot to start but proved he won't win you games. He won't lose them either. Honestly the Bears should grabbed him.”

“Glass half empty, we only received a 6th rounder for Teddy. Glass half full, lol we actually received a 6th rounder for Teddy.”

“Saw a bunch of Broncos fans excited about his completion percentage in training camp with the check downs and was thinking to myself you won’t be when it’s 4th & 9 with the game on the line, 1:20 on the clock, only need 20 yards for field goal range….and you get a 2 yard check down. Hooray!!!”

I saw that too when we traded for Teddy. Didn't make me feel any better at the time since I wanted Fields pretty badly. I think what a lot of people are realizing is that Joe Brady isn't the greatest offensive mind and a lot of the way they go about preparing and practicing their gameplan is flawed. OL for Carolina is still a turnstile this year as it was last year. Again, with Darnold it was a lateral move. Trade away the safe, conservative Teddy for the aggressive, reckless Darnold-- but hope that him being only 24 and coming out of a terrible Adam Gase era will help kickstart his redemption story. I just hope both us and the Panthers figure it out offensively and I hope there is a world where we are happy with the QBs we have, no matter the reputation they had coming into our respective teams.

If Teddy fizzles out this year then I am cool with moving on. To me, he isn't a career backup or bottom-tier journeyman QB until he actually shows that he is a liability as a starter and doesn't have starter level traits. Those are labels reserved for the Chase Daniels, Blaine Gabberts, Mike Glennons, Brian Hoyers, and Jacoby Brissetts of the NFL. Those are the career backups. Those are the journeymens. If he is an average starting NFL quarterback, then at least he is average for a starting QB. Puts him at the top 16-20 in the world, not bad. I get that mediocrity is unacceptable, but sometimes when you have a roster that is constructed with so much money tied to the defense with high-level vets and the team just so happens to not quite be a dumpster fire like the Jaguars or Jets-- then the least risky option to elevate the team is a game manager QB.

When Teddy actually outright loses us games and fails to execute on a consistent basis, then the fair evaluation once a clear pattern emerges or once the season ends will be that he isn't a viable starting QB and it would be time to get a new one. It's simple as that. It's just my opinion that he isn't the problem with this football team right now. Could he play better? Of course. Could he stand to be a little more patient with his downfield reads? Of course. Could he trust his OL to protect him just a tad longer and WRs/TEs to make a play more, instead of checking down after two reads? Of course. I think there is a lot this team can improve on, and I am excited to see how Teddy fares as he settles in and develops chemistry with the offense over the course of the season. Also, Jeudy should be back around Week 8 or 9 so that will be a huge boost to our offense and it will be nice to have a WR that can generate consistent separation as opposed to our bigger, lumber guys like Sutton, Patrick, and Fant.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    You always find a way to bring up a strawman so it’s pointless because it’s been laid out for you in these pages and pages of posts and in multiple threads too.

After the success Teddy had replacing an injured Drew Brees, teams were willing to throw $20M/year at him. There was no way Teddy or the Saints knew if and when Brees was retiring. You don’t pay Teddy $20M or ridiculously backload his contract just to be a backup or have him as the official heir at QB. The Saints simply didn’t have cap space and when you still have your future HoF QB leading the team, you make an effort to build around him in the hopes of competing for a title. You act like NO letting Teddy walk in free agency is an indictment on Teddy. It’s a numbers game and they didn’t have the starting position available for him at the start of 2020 and didn’t know when they would because at that point Brees hadn’t showed signs of slowing down and he hadn’t sustained those brutal injuries yet.

Carolina was a bad year, no matter how you want to approach it. Rookie HC and OC. Terrible OL. McCaffrey played in 3 games. Teddy was able to support two 1,000 yard receivers in Anderson and Moore, and almost a third with Samuel. He was looking good before an injury later in the year hampered his play. He turned the ball over fairly often and the team had redzone issues. He didn’t have the athleticism or arm talent to overcome the shortcomings on their offense. So despite career-highs in almost every passing category, Carolina with a new GM in 2021 moved on from him. Fitterer wanted to start his tenure with a different QB, perhaps one that fit Joe Brady’s system more. Like beast, I view the trade for Darnold as a lateral move at best. Look what fans are saying now.
    Oh, if you want to do Reddit - what fans said when Teddy was traded:

“He's a T1 backup. His whole shtick is not making bad decisions and throwing the ball to the other team. After Denver realizes he's not a starter and dumps him he will have a very cushy back end of his career racking in millions as a solid backup. He deserved a shot to start but proved he won't win you games. He won't lose them either. Honestly the Bears should grabbed him.”

“Glass half empty, we only received a 6th rounder for Teddy. Glass half full, lol we actually received a 6th rounder for Teddy.”

“Saw a bunch of Broncos fans excited about his completion percentage in training camp with the check downs and was thinking to myself you won’t be when it’s 4th & 9 with the game on the line, 1:20 on the clock, only need 20 yards for field goal range….and you get a 2 yard check down. Hooray!!!”

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied

Now do Carolina vs New Orleans.
    You always find a way to bring up a strawman so it’s pointless because it’s been laid out for you in these pages and pages of posts and in multiple threads too.

After the success Teddy had replacing an injured Drew Brees, teams were willing to throw $20M/year at him. There was no way Teddy or the Saints knew if and when Brees was retiring. You don’t pay Teddy $20M or ridiculously backload his contract just to be a backup or have him as the official heir at QB. The Saints simply didn’t have cap space and when you still have your future HoF QB leading the team, you make an effort to build around him in the hopes of competing for a title. You act like NO letting Teddy walk in free agency is an indictment on Teddy. It’s a numbers game and they didn’t have the starting position available for him at the start of 2020 and didn’t know when they would because at that point Brees hadn’t showed signs of slowing down and he hadn’t sustained those brutal injuries yet.

Carolina was a bad year, no matter how you want to approach it. Rookie HC and OC. Terrible OL. McCaffrey played in 3 games. Teddy was able to support two 1,000 yard receivers in Anderson and Moore, and almost a third with Samuel. He was looking good before an injury later in the year hampered his play. He turned the ball over fairly often and the team had redzone issues. He didn’t have the athleticism or arm talent to overcome the shortcomings on their offense. So despite career-highs in almost every passing category, Carolina with a new GM in 2021 moved on from him. Fitterer wanted to start his tenure with a different QB, perhaps one that fit Joe Brady’s system more. Like beast, I view the trade for Darnold as a lateral move at best. Look what fans are saying now.
    Last edited by HDbroncos02; 10-15-2021, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

He was coming off an injury that could’ve ended his career. The Vikings had no real idea other than a handful of reps he got as their third string QB as he was working his way back nearly 2 years later. That’s a leap of faith no coaching staff is willing to take especially when they had just made it to the championship game with Case Keenum, who at that point was a career backup. They were looking for a QB to get them over the hump, not take a chance hoping Teddy would still be on the same career progression he was on 2 years prior.

And again in New York, Darnold had just been drafted and they were determined to start him for better or worse. Teddy outplayed him in camp and in the preseason, that’s why he was traded for a 3rd round pick, which is astounding given all the questions around Teddy at the time and the extremely limited sample size since the injury. If the Jets kept him, there would’ve been pressure to start him very early into the season and as bad as the Jets were at developing Darnold, they at least managed to avoid killing his confidence early by benching him.

Fast forward to this season and Teddy looks to have improved his game while Darnold is still the same 1:1 TD:Turnover QB he’s always been (11 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4 fumbles). Meanwhile Teddy looks to be improving from what he did in New Orleans in his 5 starts there. 9 TDs to 2 picks in New Orleans, 7 TDs to 1 pick here (and yes it was a horrific INT any way you look at it) while also throwing for nearly 80 more yards a game here. The only reason there’s a difference in the record is the absolutely horrific game plans we’ve put out the past 2 weeks.
    Now do Carolina vs New Orleans.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Well, to kinda answer your question, you only have to look to Minnesota. If they believed Teddy was more than just a back up, why not keep him instead giving Cousins a ridiculous deal? They saw him in practices and games to know whether or not they should keep him.

In his career so far, he has been replaced by Darnold twice.

He gets a pass for what happened in New Orleans because Brees came back for another year.
    He was coming off an injury that could’ve ended his career. The Vikings had no real idea other than a handful of reps he got as their third string QB as he was working his way back nearly 2 years later. That’s a leap of faith no coaching staff is willing to take especially when they had just made it to the championship game with Case Keenum, who at that point was a career backup. They were looking for a QB to get them over the hump, not take a chance hoping Teddy would still be on the same career progression he was on 2 years prior.

And again in New York, Darnold had just been drafted and they were determined to start him for better or worse. Teddy outplayed him in camp and in the preseason, that’s why he was traded for a 3rd round pick, which is astounding given all the questions around Teddy at the time and the extremely limited sample size since the injury. If the Jets kept him, there would’ve been pressure to start him very early into the season and as bad as the Jets were at developing Darnold, they at least managed to avoid killing his confidence early by benching him.

Fast forward to this season and Teddy looks to have improved his game while Darnold is still the same 1:1 TD:Turnover QB he’s always been (11 TDs, 6 INTs, and 4 fumbles). Meanwhile Teddy looks to be improving from what he did in New Orleans in his 5 starts there. 9 TDs to 2 picks in New Orleans, 7 TDs to 1 pick here (and yes it was a horrific INT any way you look at it) while also throwing for nearly 80 more yards a game here. The only reason there’s a difference in the record is the absolutely horrific game plans we’ve put out the past 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Locutus View Post
    People said that about josh Allen his first couple years.
    They were wrong.

Allen had been in the league for a short time. Teddy has been around for 8 years.

Leave a comment:

• Locutus
    replied

Where is the evidence he’ll be better than average? That’s what he’s been thus far.

Can he be better? Sure anything is possible.

People said that about josh Allen his first couple years.

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied

This is my issue, where does this come from?
    Watching him play QB.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied

This is my issue, where does this come from? Because the prevailing thought that comes with this statement is that’s all he’ll ever be. Yet people feel differently about guys like Darnold and Winston. Teddy is only going into his 4th year starting, same as Darnold, and less than Winston, but a lot of people think those 2 can still be developed and Teddy is who he is. It doesn’t matter that Teddy has been in the league 8 seasons, as generally QBs won’t get better by not playing. And I know people can’t be thinking this because of perceived physical limitations, because we’ve seen many QBs with similar limitations have good to all time great careers.
    Where is the evidence he’ll be better than average? That’s what he’s been thus far.

Can he be better? Sure anything is possible.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied

This is my issue, where does this come from? Because the prevailing thought that comes with this statement is that’s all he’ll ever be. Yet people feel differently about guys like Darnold and Winston. Teddy is only going into his 4th year starting, same as Darnold, and less than Winston, but a lot of people think those 2 can still be developed and Teddy is who he is. It doesn’t matter that Teddy has been in the league 8 seasons, as generally QBs won’t get better by not playing. And I know people can’t be thinking this because of perceived physical limitations, because we’ve seen many QBs with similar limitations have good to all time great careers.
    Well, to kinda answer your question, you only have to look to Minnesota. If they believed Teddy was more than just a back up, why not keep him instead of giving Cousins a ridiculous deal? They saw him in practices and games to know whether or not they should keep him.

In his career so far, he has been replaced by Darnold twice.

He gets a pass for what happened in New Orleans because Brees came back for another year.
    Last edited by broncolee; 10-15-2021, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    He’s an average at best quarterback

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied

Not all players, Teddy wanted to start and rightfully so and at the time, Brees had no timeline. Similar thing happened to us with Osweiler and Peyton actually retired, but there was no amount of money we could’ve given him that offseason to make stay.

Teddy didn’t show them enough, it doesn’t mean they were right to give up on him after a season. They may very well be looking for a new QB this offseason too if that’s their approach to the situation because Darnold isn’t really looking that much better with Carolina than he did with the Jets.
    Different scenario with Osweiler as he was big mad at being benched. We don’t know because Elway didn’t even attempt to beat the offer by Houston - why should they as he wasn’t proven at that point.

Teddy didn’t give Carolina any confidence to keep him. He’s an average at best quarterback and has the opportunity to make a career in Denver. We’ll see how he responds vs Raiders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X