No announcement yet.

Thank goodness we gave up on Lock after 1.5 seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s impossible to develop a QB when you make a QB and OC change almost every year.

IMO, they had an opportunity to go with a new philosophy and commit to a QB/OC combo with Lock/Scangs. I certainly can’t guarantee that combo would have worked out, but it’s more about the philosophy and direction of the organization.

Alas, we opted for the mediocre vet QB and curmudgeon coach strategy. It’s a tired approach that I, as a fan, have become extremely exhausted with. It yields the same result and it makes it hard to get excited about the QB and coaching staff because it always feels like a lame duck situation.

As for Lock specifically, it just feels like his opportunity here has passed. Had the organization decided to commit to him and Scangs, who knows, perhaps he and the offense could have grown together. Perhaps not - we’ll never really know. For me, it’s more about the philosophy and strategy employed by this organization. You can’t really move into the future if you constantly employ an old school approach that doesn’t work (unless you miraculously land a HOF level vet QB).

Bottom line for me is it is time to do away with this strategy and move into the modern era. I’m praying for a hot shot modern offensive minded coach and a new, shiny QB of his choice. We’ll see how it all turns out.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
      It’s impossible to develop a QB when you make a QB and OC change almost every year.

IMO, they had an opportunity to go with a new philosophy and commit to a QB/OC combo with Lock/Scangs. I certainly can’t guarantee that combo would have worked out, but it’s more about the philosophy and direction of the organization.

Alas, we opted for the mediocre vet QB and curmudgeon coach strategy. It’s a tired approach that I, as a fan, have become extremely exhausted with. It yields the same result and it makes it hard to get excited about the QB and coaching staff because it always feels like a lame duck situation.

As for Lock specifically, it just feels like his opportunity here has passed. Had the organization decided to commit to him and Scangs, who knows, perhaps he and the offense could have grown together. Perhaps not - we’ll never really know. For me, it’s more about the philosophy and strategy employed by this organization. You can’t really move into the future if you constantly employ an old school approach that doesn’t work (unless you miraculously land a HOF level vet QB).

Bottom line for me is it is time to do away with this strategy and move into the modern era. I’m praying for a hot shot modern offensive minded coach and a new, shiny QB of his choice. We’ll see how it all turns out.
      I'm with you on most of this except the Lock thing. I DO believe he would have had some success.

Fangio wanted his oc in Shurmur, and he wanted his QB in Bridgewater because he's a veteran and was sold the lie that Bridgewater is a good leader and takes care of the ball.

The old man got bamboozled.

I honestly believe if Wrinkles hadn't been shown the door because of Fangios ego, we'd be seeing a different story on offense. I truly do believe that

Comment

• Teddy doesn’t turn the ball over and doesn’t get TDs. Most of his stats come in garbage time. He throws high percentage throws majority of time. His stats always have looked decent. Lock throw deep a lot which is part of why his completion percentage was lower. But in the end I only care about the score board. Teddy does not score more points than a 2nd year player with little training camps and experience. Teddy tried to shut me up with 1 nice pass every 3 games but regresses to trash for the next 2 games. It’s loo late for Lock now. All you can do is try to boost his trade value at this point. But the old man won’t do that since he is fighting for his job.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I'm with you on most of this except the Lock thing. I DO believe he would have had some success.

Fangio wanted his oc in Shurmur, and he wanted his QB in Bridgewater because he's a veteran and was sold the lie that Bridgewater is a good leader and takes care of the ball.

The old man got bamboozled.

I honestly believe if Wrinkles hadn't been shown the door because of Fangios ego, we'd be seeing a different story on offense. I truly do believe that
          I do think that Lock/Scangs looked very promising. I would have much rather seem that play out. It would have at least been more entertaining. Unfortunately, we got stuck with a curmudgeon OC and lame duck vet QB because we have a curmudgeon HC who works for an organization stuck in decades passed.

I’m really hoping we see a paradigm shift this offseason.
          sigpic

Comment

• We went into the season with the purpose of saving Vics job. That’s all you really need to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripleD View Post
              Not.

Now we still don't know what we have in him, but have proven why Bridgewater is on his 5th NFL team in 7 seasons.

Lock won the preseason BTW. Fight me
              Lock is still a work in progress. He has been around for 3 seasons now but he has 18 starts and approx 640 pass attempts if we include sacks.

Right now I would rather see Lock start. Teddy is hot garbage. Just Vic and his staff know they need to make the playoffs and they not willing to risk it on a QB who is still learning.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I want lock bc I know he will turn the ball over probably even more than Teddy and take more sack.
                Lock had one of the lowest percentages of being sacked in the NFL when he started. Teddy may well lead the league in that category. Yes, Lock also threw more interceptions 8n 2020.
                CheyennePress
                Starter
                Last edited by CheyennePress; 11-21-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Lock is like this new thing that is untested and full of potential…. Until you watch him play…then you realize he’s a bust that isn’t the answer. We gave up on him because he sucks, should have been traded in the off-season but he was a cheap backup that no one else wanted. We know who he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheyennePress View Post

Year 2: Baker Mayfield
                    • Completion percentage: 59.4%
                    • 22 TD / 21 INT
                    • Record: 6-10
                    Year 3: Baker Mayfield
                    • Completion percentage: 62.8%
                    • 26 TD / 8 INT
                    • Record: 11-5

Year 2: Drew Lock
                    • Completion percentage: 57.4%
                    • 16 TD / 15 INT
                    • Record: 4-9
                    Year 3: Drew Lock
                    • We give up. No one knows.

Some people use the Josh Allen comparison. Yes, he only completed 52% and 58%, respectively, of his passes in year 1 and 2. I like Baker better because he and Lock had some of the same problems. Just know that if year 3 Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen played for the Broncos, they'd be sitting on the bench right now in favor of Teddy Bridgewater. That's just how Denver rolls.

I am trying not to make this a dump on Teddy. I don't think he has the arm strength to ever truly be more than "eh." That said, no one would have done that well getting hit 17 times and getting sacked 5 times like Bridgewater did against the Raiders. I give the Raiders some credit, and Maxx Crosby loves him some Teddy.
                    I just wish we had an OC or Head Coach that was a QB guy that could help Drew.heck a decent QB coach.i got a feeling we'll never know.not here in Denver
                    I miss real Bronco football

Comment

• Coaching matters,Baker Mayfield was a bust until they got the right coaching. Granted Baker still isn’t elite(too short and slow) but good coaching turned Mayfield into a solid QB. Can you imagine what good coaching could do for Lock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                        Coaching matters,Baker Mayfield was a bust until they got the right coaching. Granted Baker still isn’t elite(too short and slow) but good coaching turned Mayfield into a solid QB. Can you imagine what good coaching could do for Lock?
                        Correlation or causation?

Comment

Coaching matters,Baker Mayfield was a bust until they got the right coaching. Granted Baker still isn’t elite(too short and slow) but good coaching turned Mayfield into a solid QB. Can you imagine what good coaching could do for Lock?
                          As someone who has watched the NFL for decades since the 80s I can tell you coaching matters.

While I am not 100% sure coaching can help Lock I am 100% the current coaching is holding the offense back.

What McVay did for the Rams is a great example. I do not know how good Lock can be but I think it is likely he would be better with better coaching.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Good coaching goes hand in hand with the concept of putting a player in the best position to succeed. Does that sound like Shurmur?

Another example of “ good coaching” is with the Cardinals. Imagine losing Murray and having to rely on Colt McCoy… and he succeeds!

As much as I would like to have that franchise QB in place, I would just as much like to have some confidence the Broncos have creative, quality OC leading an established offensive system.

Worrying about QB development is putting the cart before the horse IMO

Comment

• Lock is the only one who had a come from behind wins. Teddy can’t to crap.

Comment

No doubt about it, we need look no farther than our own back yard. Just look what Shanny was building Cutler into, and what happened to him under Lovie Smith and Ron Turner... Instant regression.

Very rarely does a great QB develop without the right coach and situation. Any other team in the league and Neither Joe Montana or Tom Brady become all timers. Off the top of my head, the only exceptions that come to mind are Elway (who was held back by Reeves) and Manning (who was pretty much his own offensive coordinator from day one).
                                Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X