Paton has to go before he does more damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paton has to go before he does more damage

I don’t want to see what Patton might do to this roster if he gets another offseason to make decisions.

patton must follow fangio, the coaches, the QBs and the OL right out the door.

As a fan since 1977.... how to have any faith if Patton gets another shot to build this roster.

He backed down and caved and gave Von the $

He signed Darby and gave Simmons a contract as if he was an impact player.
    Good. Solid. Not difference-maker.

He built highest-cost secondary in NFL

He fixated on PS2 over QB or Parsons

He ignored ILB, DL, OL, QB

He set his sights on Teddy, as if this was 2015.

I, for one, done want to see what he has in store for an encore.

Comment

First of all, it’s Paton.

I am not impressed by his choice of quarterback or first round draft pick.

That’s not to say Surtain isn’t worthy, the Broncos needed Micah Parsons more.

I wanted Lock to get a real chance to start. That clearly wasn’t the plan by Paton or the coaches.

If they were going to give up on Lock, they should have drafted Fields or Jones.

They never should have traded for Bridgewater.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl
      Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

I'm going to hold out on this one.

Paton went and got guys that Fangio wanted for his defense. He traded for Teddy and got some more help for Shurmur.

Now we are seeing a total and absolute failure on both sides of the football from a talent and schematic standpoint. Our coaches are getting embarrassingly outcoached.

Guess what? Paton gave this staff a chance with the players he brought in, also going with a low-risk, low-ceiling QB. Now that we've lost 4 straight and our coaching staff has been utterly exposed, Paton will have the BLUEPRINT to fix this football team.

Consider this year a diagnostic year for Paton. An outside perspective that was hired with the existing staff still in place. Paton will get to clean house next year and rebuild the roster from the ground up with Von, Jackson, Fuller, Callahan, Johnson, Jewell, Teddy, Gordon, Sutton, Patrick, and Massie all being free agents too.

Paton wasn't going to miraculously fix the problems our team inherently had with scheme, health, and talent just in the first year alone. We had a good team on paper, but after seven weeks it's clear that this team is BAD. Paton will get the opportunity to start this over, truly.
        https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

Paton went and got guys that Fangio wanted for his defense. He traded for Teddy and got some more help for Shurmur.

Now we are seeing a total and absolute failure on both sides of the football from a talent and schematic standpoint. Our coaches are getting embarrassingly outcoached.

Guess what? Paton gave this staff a chance with the players he brought in, also going with a low-risk, low-ceiling QB. Now that we've lost 4 straight and our coaching staff has been utterly exposed, Paton will have the BLUEPRINT to fix this football team.

Consider this year a diagnostic year for Paton. An outside perspective that was hired with the existing staff still in place. Paton will get to clean house next year and rebuild the roster from the ground up with Von, Jackson, Fuller, Callahan, Johnson, Jewell, Teddy, Gordon, Sutton, Patrick, and Massie all being free agents too.

Paton wasn't going to miraculously fix the problems our team inherently had with scheme, health, and talent just in the first year alone. We had a good team on paper, but after seven weeks it's clear that this team is BAD. Paton will get the opportunity to start this over, truly.
          Good post.
          firing everyone, and itll just be the same crap we've been watching the past 5 years, only worse.( Can you imagine
          At some point, you need continuity. Recycling GM, and coaches and QBs each year will have you picking top 3 indefinitely. Look at the browns since 99'
          20years of bottom feeding is where were headed if that's what we're going to do. I'm okay with giving Patton another year, IF he removes this staff, and cleanses the culture.

If the team isnt clicking by the Bye week. Then I'd purge this staff, bench teddy, start lock, draft oline high, sign Rodgers, and probably move Von.( in good faith so he comes back and retires a bronco )
          :goz::helmet::helmet::helmet::goz:

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

I endorse this message. Excellent take.
            sigpic

Comment

I for one can’t throw Paton to the wolves just yet. I thought he had a solid rookie season.

1- Yes he paid Von. Von showed he still had stuff left in the tank. Most of all he was a centerpiece for our locker room. Paying him was the right choice at the time. No rookie GM pops in out of nowhere and doesn’t resign your current franchise player and fan favorite.

2- Yes he invested a ton in the secondary. But at the time it was needed (and widely seen in a positive light) that he boosted our depleted secondary with two quality starters in Darby and Fuller. One of them with a working history with our HC. It’s not Paton’s fault that both are playing themself out of work.

3- I think Paton did everything he could to show that Lock had a chance to be the guy. No successful franchise’s GM overruns the coaching decisions. This is real life, not madden. He gave Lock (and Fangio) the opportunity. It’s not his fault that both failed to seize the moment.

4- If you must bash Paton for not choosing Fields over PS2, then fine. Only time will tell. But I tell you. The next 2-3 years and PS2 will be the Champ Bailey of his time. We’ll have corner locked down and won’t have to deal with any more Bouye’s, Fuller’s, or Darby’s.

Its way too early to judge GP. This coming offseason will be completely different. He played the respectful professional coming in for year 1.. It’s time to see some blood now.

Comment

Disagree. Paton passing on fields seems to be his best move so far. That guy has been hot garbage.

Ps2 is playing well IMHO too. CB and TE are some of the hardest rookie positions and hes doing a good job.

He inherited a ton of crap on this roster too.

Javonte is a huge bright spot. We moved up to draft him. So far both his 1st and 2nd round picks seem solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                  Disagree. Paton passing on fields seems to be his best move so far. That guy has been hot garbage.

Ps2 is playing well IMHO too. CB and TE are some of the hardest rookie positions and hes doing a good job.

He inherited a ton of crap on this roster too.

Javonte is a huge bright spot. We moved up to draft him. So far both his 1st and 2nd round picks seem solid.
                  Add in the lame duck coaching staff he inherited.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                    That guy has been hot garbage.
                    This is a lie. Fields has not been hot garbage.

Stop trying to use stats alone to evaluate players, especially quarterbacks.

That being said, Paton might have done Fields a favor by not sticking him with the hot garbage of a Broncos coaching staff.

Once the Bears realize Nagy is the wrong coach, Fields might turn into a superstar. He might eventually become that despite Nagy.

I doubt Paton gets fired after one season, but I’m not impressed by him so far.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                    Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

This is a lie. Fields has not been hot garbage.

Stop trying to use stats alone to evaluate players, especially quarterbacks.

That being said, Paton might have done Fields a favor by not sticking him with the hot garbage of a Broncos coaching staff.

Once the Bears realize Nagy is the wrong coach, Fields might turn into a superstar. He might eventually become that despite Nagy.

I doubt Paton gets fired after one season, but I’m not impressed by him so far.
                      How can you possibly defend what fields has done so far? Fields has been complete trash He makes 1 or two plays a game. I am not saying he wont develop, but so far I have seen nothing that tells me that hes gonna be "the guy" for chicago.

Comment

Excellent points all around.

my biggest concern: Secondary was Patton’s very first order of business. He said so himself, basically, by his actions.

He overpays for an average CB for n Darby;
                        He treated Simmons like he was worthy of big $;
                        He brought back K-Jax and signed Fuller;
                        Spent a top 10 pick on a CB! (Lol!)

it’s the highest paid unit in NFL and has been the biggest disappointment of the season, by far!

is this fixing the secondary?

His biggest reason for drafting PS2 was he liked his dad! For the record, pick to me was Micah Parsons. I prefer to build my rosters from the inside out. When I control the LOS, I look for WR, TE, CB.

How’s the RB he brought over from Minny?

I would like to hear a positive to give me hope here.
                        Last edited by fraguela09; 10-22-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

my biggest concern: Secondary was Patton’s very first order of business. He said so himself, basically, by his actions.

it’s the highest paid unit in NFL and has been the biggest disappointment of the season, by far!

His biggest reason for drafting PS2 was he liked his dad! For the record, pick to me was Micah Parsons. I prefer to build my rosters from the inside out. When I control the LOS, I look for WR, TE, CB.

Positive.... Positive... Yeah, I got nothin.

I think he looked at the secondary, looked at the AFC-W, (sadly) bowed to the Denver DC er Head coach, and knew most of those players wouldn't be here next year. Granted, the Simmons $$ is beginning to look like a mistake. By next year. I think Jackson and Fuller will be gone. I expect he might try and move Darby's contract or Callahan or maybe even Simmons. If there is a regime change, hopefully, then I expect the defense to be 70% different. Maybe more.

I've always hated the previous team connection trend (Fangio/Bears, Paton/Vikings) etc. Is Boone even active? I haven't heard his name. Dumb signing.

I really like Surtain, considering the above issues, but certainly Parsons would have provided more value/need. As would Devin Bush over Noah Fant (I'm still bitter).
                          Last edited by Broncos1963; 10-22-2021, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

Is it Paton or Fangio though? Of all the criticism towards Fangio, what bothers me the most is the performance of the secondary. This is supposed to be Fangio's specialty and IMO we have good players there.

The positive for Paton is he signed all those guys to short term contracts and we have a lot of flexibility and cap space, and we'll probably get decent compensatory picks for our FAs that leave.

As far as addressing the QB situation, looking at every "new" QB for teams, including rookies and FAs, and the only one that looks good is Matthew Stafford and maybe Mac Jones. It's possible a rookie or two will improve but so far none of them have impressed early like Herbert, Burrow or Kyler Murray. This reminds me of blackjack and you're holding 16 and the dealer is showing a 10. Chances are, if you hit or stay you'll probably lose either way. It's possible there just weren't any real improvements at QB available this year.

It's also possible Paton was leaving the options open for a Rodgers and/or Watson trade as his priority, and neither worked out.

Comment

I'm all for change and wanting some heads to roll here but Paton deserves more than just one year.

Comment

Working...
                              X