Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
    Interesting thread.

I agree that you build from the inside out, but not necessarily starting at QB. I offer you Dan Marino and Andrew Luck as examples... and for sure there are a few more recent examples, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Deshawn Watson... all top drawer quarterbacks but not yet successful.
    ibuild the O line first,
    The problem with not starting with the quarterback is that you can be just good enough to not suck enough to get the quarterback.

That being said, I have no problem with either of the extensions at WR.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl
    Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

• The Cowboys are a different team with their OL woes.

Comment

• Vic is on his way out and something interesting ...

Do you think we pass on Josh Allen with a offensive minded HC? Do we pass on a QB this year with a offensive minded HC?

Do we maybe make a trade to get one of the successful QBs since PM retired if we have an offensive minded coach instead of VJ and Vic? It took the Chiefs 2 1st rounds (one being pick 27) and a 3rd round to get number 10 pick to draft Mahomes. We had pick 20.

Maybe getting a QB (and developing the QB) starts with what kind of HC we pick.
        Last edited by Hadez; 11-24-2021, 06:37 AM.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Broncos news: Denver GM breaks silence on signing big-name QB in 2022 (clutchpoints.com)

This is not a guarantee of any sort commentary, but this part sounds at least remotely positive:

The Denver Broncos and general manager George Paton made the news recently when they agreed to contract extensions with wide receivers Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick. Those moves, as well as the Von Miller trade, prompted reporters to question Broncos’ general manager George Paton on his 2022 NFL offseason plan. Paton offered a response, though likely not the one reporters were hoping for.

If that’s not classic coach/general manager speak! But, no one would expect George Paton or the Broncos to release their NFL offseason plan for all to see. That would just be silly.

However, it is interesting that Paton noted the Broncos have “the resources to do whatever we want.” Paton isn’t specifically saying that the Broncos are going to make a splash, but the fact that he didn’t completely rule out the possibility is noteworthy.

~~~~~~~

We have loads of cap space and some nice draft picks (maybe more to come). And it does sound cool when The GM mentions it.

Comment

• I posted this in the Lock thread wanted it to be here in the Paton thread as well. IMO the Sutton and Patrick deals are very good now that the numbers are out.

Both got really good deals considering their path. Patrick is a guy who has been around the NFL and struggled to make teams. Sutton had great promise two years ago but missed all of 2020 and has not really tore it up this year yet he is getting paid like he is WR 1.

Patrick got 11.5 million guaranteed at signing. Contract Notes:
            • $11.5M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary + 2022 roster bonus)
            Sutton got 18 mil guaranteed at signing. Contract Notes:
            • $18M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary + 2022 roster bonus)

The Broncos can cut ties with either contract after the 2022 season and save a lot of cap space if need. If we keep them Patrick will have a cap hit in 2023 of 9.25 mil and 10.75 mil in 2024. From 2023 to 2025 Sutton will have cap hits of 15.7 mil, 14.2 mil and 15.2 mil. If we keep them they get paid good money considering their path so far.

Personally I think there is a chance both players could have gotten better on the free agent market. There is also some trains of thought that so many good WRs come out of the draft year in and year out why pay a WR big money in free agency. Personally I think the elite QBs and good offensive minds would have looked at both of these WRs and wanted them.

Paton did good on these deals. Not only to get these guys on team friendly deals but also to try and keep some consistency on offense so maybe we can improve.

IMO we are going into the offseason with questions on offense at Qb, RB, TE and some where on the OL. RT for sure maybe other areas we will see. On WR now we are good.
            Last edited by Hadez; 11-28-2021, 09:01 AM.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Can we change the title of this thread? I know we still looking for a qb but this may be the best draft class we had in a while.

PS2 a big game and looking good this year
              Williams looking like a 3 down stud rb
              The Belly been mauling defenders and is savage in the run game
              Browning looking like one of the best ILB we have had in a while
              Sterns on the field less than 20% of the def snaps but making his presence known
              Cooper has contributed since Von traded

Comment

• Between Paton, Fangio, Donatell and the defensive coaching staff, they have completely rebuilt the Inside Backer position mid-season with a trade and a Rookie. Don't know if I've seen that done as effectively as Denver has.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Between Paton, Fangio, Donatell and the defensive coaching staff, they have completely rebuilt the Inside Backer position mid-season with a trade and a Rookie. Don't know if I've seen that done as effectively as Denver has.
                  This is one of the most impressive things about this season, IMO.

It really felt like we were lost on D after getting into depth at LB... as a constantly cautiously optimistic fan... watching the Browns backups run over our backups was where my faith for the season began to falter.

Feels like a distant memory now of a different team (almost). The D has re-found its identity, and the staff involved definitely deserves credit for that.

Big test this week (ok, feels like every week pretty much).
                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic
                  Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

• Was anyone talking about a great job by Paton, Fangio and Donatell after the Eagles rushed for 216 yards just two Sundays ago?

Comment

• Browning looked incredible yesterday, as he did against DAL. Wow. If he melees that up. Credit PS2 for making those INTs, even if they were gifts. He didn’t drop it and he took it to the house!

paton can improve roster spots 20-53…. Can he improve the top 20 tho?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                        Was anyone talking about a great job by Paton, Fangio and Donatell after the Eagles rushed for 216 yards just two Sundays ago?
                        I feel that's more on the coaches. I mean we have the same talent as we did two weeks ago so I feel like you can't deny that the roster has improved under Paton. We've already won more games than we did all of last year with 6 more to go. I feel we have a better run game. I feel we are better in the secondary. Qb slightly better but not much and I like our OL we have some great depth on this OL so all in all it's looking a little better all around. I for one like the moves he's done so far.
                        :go:

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post

I feel that's more on the coaches. I mean we have the same talent as we did two weeks ago so I feel like you can't deny that the roster has improved under Paton. We've already won more games than we did all of last year with 6 more to go. I feel we have a better run game. I feel we are better in the secondary. Qb slightly better but not much and I like our OL we have some great depth on this OL so all in all it's looking a little better all around. I for one like the moves he's done so far.
                          Surtain was a good pick if we weren’t in position to draft Mack Jones. Williams looks like a good pick - over time it will depend on how long he can play. Not sure about the O-line play - Broncos are near worst with sacks allowed (how many of those are on the line and/or Bridgewater would take more analysis). The moves certainly aren’t bad in isolation until accounting for the fact that we could have drafted Jones (similar to when we missed on Josh Allen). Bridgewater would have been a good signing as a veteran backup developing a guy like Jones.

Comment

Surtain was a good pick if we weren’t in position to draft Mack Jones. Williams looks like a good pick - over time it will depend on how long he can play. Not sure about the O-line play - Broncos are near worst with sacks allowed (how many of those are on the line and/or Bridgewater would take more analysis). The moves certainly aren’t bad in isolation until accounting for the fact that we could have drafted Jones (similar to when we missed on Josh Allen). Bridgewater would have been a good signing as a veteran backup developing a guy like Jones.
                            Our OL would look better if the qb got rid of the ball faster. Tb is almost at the bottom of the NFL in terms of time to throw. Last week it was 31 qbs better ... 29 if we take out the 90 and 110 attempt guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                              Browning looked incredible yesterday, as he did against DAL. Wow. If he melees that up. Credit PS2 for making those INTs, even if they were gifts. He didn’t drop it and he took it to the house!

paton can improve roster spots 20-53…. Can he improve the top 20 tho?
                              He is a rookie and makes mistakes. His missed tackle on 4th down allowed the Chargers to convert. The more he plays the better he will get.

Been a while since a ILB had me this excited.

Comment

Was anyone talking about a great job by Paton, Fangio and Donatell after the Eagles rushed for 216 yards just two Sundays ago?
                                How would you characterize Philly's rushing attack?
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X