Paton has to go before he does more damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
    LOL, OP you are preaching from a position of insanity. Paton's been here for one year, dealing with the previous GM's mess.

To those taking the OP seriously, remember anyone can make threads on this forum, doesn't mean it's worth taking seriously.
    What have we seen as evidence that he’s the guy to fix the mess?

He thinks cornerbacks are harder to find than quarterbacks.

He traded for Teddy Bridgewater.

None of that inspires confidence in his ability to fix the problems.

That doesn’t mean he won’t. He likely has until there is a new owner to show he’s the guy to fix the team.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

What have we seen as evidence that he’s the guy to fix the mess?

He thinks cornerbacks are harder to find than quarterbacks.

He traded for Teddy Bridgewater.

None of that inspires confidence in his ability to fix the problems.

That doesn’t mean he won’t. He likely has until there is a new owner to show he’s the guy to fix the team.
      Will play Devils advocate for a second. There are more viable starting Qbs than shut down corners. For every Champ bailey there was 2-3 Big Bens. Doesn't mean QB isn't more important,

I also think hes done a good job acing his first and 2nd round picks so far. I have like Surtain and Williams so far.

The bridgewater thing is inexcusable IMHO. That to me was him going with someone he was somewhat familiar with who hopefully would not fully embarass the franchise and to be a placeholder while he got the QBOTF.

I give him a B for his performance so far. No excuses this coming year.

Comment

He needs at least 1 more year.
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
          He needs at least 1 more year.
          I agree. Denver has to at least give Paton a chance to put something together after inheriting a lot of things he wasn't allowed to change when he was hired.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            The fact that he brought in retread garbage in Bridgewater thinking he was gonna be the genius that saw something no one else did because he smarter than everyone.
            He is not a retread. He is Steady Teddy, master of the dink and dunk and flying squirrels into the endzone!!!

Comment

Paton could inspire confidence he he does something to salvage the season, or at least attempt it. For example, for Fangio to start Lock. Find out if he can flash anything and then you move on.

if his picks shine… Williams and Cooper could make him look good.

but, again, if I am spending the money to buy the team… I’m looking for my guy.

Obviously, Paton gets 1 more offseason to change the narrative…. He still may not survive when new ownership comes, because his rebuilt secondary is so bad he may have a hard time explaining his decision making to his new boss.

Still, other than a couple draft picks… the dude has a miserable start to his tenure here.

where’s that RB from MIn he gave a few mil to?

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                Paton could inspire confidence he he does something to salvage the season, or at least attempt it. For example, for Fangio to start Lock. Find out if he can flash anything and then you move on.

if his picks shine… Williams and Cooper could make him look good.

but, again, if I am spending the money to buy the team… I’m looking for my guy.

Obviously, Paton gets 1 more offseason to change the narrative…. He still may not survive when new ownership comes, because his rebuilt secondary is so bad he may have a hard time explaining his decision making to his new boss.

Still, other than a couple draft picks… the dude has a miserable start to his tenure here.

where’s that RB from MIn he gave a few mil to?
                This hypothetical owner that has bought the team has not bought this team yet. When they do, it would make sense. But it's not the reality right now and you didn't mention ownership in your first two posts of this thread at all.

PS2 has been great and possibly our best defensive player so far this season. The jury is still out on Darby, but he's scheme diverse and $10M/year for an average CB in the NFL is pretty much the standard now in the bloated free agent market. Fuller is a FA after this year, so is Callahan. Simmons was and still is the best center fielding safety in the NFL. Jackson is a free agent after this year. The secondary could look very different next year and possibly with a new scheme once Fangio is gone. No one is tied long-term except Surtain really.

Can't argue that this start has been abysmal, though.

Mike Boone was signed to be our RB2 to Gordon since free agency happens before the draft and Paton probably wasn't too keen on having our RB2 be Royce Freeman. It's not like Boone was deliberately signed because Paton somehow foresaw himself trading up for Javonte Williams over a month later. Also, Boone has been injured since the Minnesota joint practices back before the first preseason game and only JUST got healthy.

Comment

Paton gave Fuller 9 million and he’s a healthy scratch in CLE Week 7. Boone was a total waste of money, another classic example of guys bringing in “their guys” they are familiar with.

pS2 is a nice player but not worthy of his pick. Parsons is a difference maker. I, for one, don’t support any GM
                  who makes his first overall pick a CB. I build teams from the inside out. An average CB looks great if he has to cover for 2.5 seconds… a great CB is toast if no pass rush within 3.5 seconds.

paton built a 70 million dollar secondary that is a bottom 5 unit in NFL. If your philosophy is to have 70/90 million spent in defense on the back unit…. That, to me, is a recipe for failure. Again, football is simple…
                  dominate the LOS and find a QB.

Comment

The secondary is having to compensate for a completely inadequate linebacker group due to injuries. Still, the Broncos defense is #2 in points allowed at 18.1 per game - Bills are #1.

Paton needs a quarterback and new coaching staff. I’ll give him more than one season given the incompetent HC/OC he inherited.

He should have drafted Jones or Fields, but Surtain looks good so far.

Comment

Paton just brought in another Viking. Geez.

Broncos acquired DE Stephen Weatherly and a 2023 seventh-round pick from the Vikings in exchange for a 2022 seventh-round pick.

Denver needed the edge help after Von Miller was injured in Thursday night’s Week 7 loss to the Browns. Weatherly, 27, has six career sacks but none this season across 20% of the Vikings’ defensive snaps.

Comment

Paton just brought in another Viking. Geez.

Broncos acquired DE Stephen Weatherly and a 2023 seventh-round pick from the Vikings in exchange for a 2022 seventh-round pick.

Denver needed the edge help after Von Miller was injured in Thursday night’s Week 7 loss to the Browns. Weatherly, 27, has six career sacks but none this season across 20% of the Vikings’ defensive snaps.
                        I like Paton so far but I'm so sick of being Minnesota-West. Nothing will make me lose faith faster than a man who won't let go of his old job/company. It makes me question his loyalty and ability to actually perform his new job in his new location.

Comment

dominate the LOS and find a QB.
                          This. ^^^^^

Comment

Paton has a very small print on this team. Most of these players are not his. Blaming him is unreasable.

He will hire a new coaching staff soon. He will bring in more players. Each year this team will be more and more Paton.

Maybe he was not the guy some posters wanted but a GM needs least 3 years imo.
                            Lets Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              Paton has a very small print on this team. Most of these players are not his. Blaming him is unreasable.

He will hire a new coaching staff soon. He will bring in more players. Each year this team will be more and more Paton.

Maybe he was not the guy some posters wanted but a GM needs least 3 years imo.
                              Just like rookie players can flash some brilliance, Paton could at least have done something to inspire confidence. He could have not said that cornerbacks are harder to find than quarterbacks. He could have not traded for Teddy Bridgewater. He could have just stayed away from the Minnesota well all together.

That being said, he has the upcoming offseason to make major changes that can have positive results.

I also think he likely has until someone buys the team to show he knows what he’s doing.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

In the history of the NFL, how many GMs are one and dones??? I'm betting zero and rightfully so. Imo, every GM needs a minimum of 4 years to build something and see its fruit. Every GM needs a quality coach to make all his picks look good too....so let's get Paton a good coach

Comment

Working...
                                X