It's got to be personal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's got to be personal

I might be crazy, but to me it's pretty clear at this point that Fangio just does not like Drew Lock, and it must be personal. Going back to 2019 when Vic straight up refused to activate him, and then refused to start him over Allen once he was activated. Then to this year when they brought in T2Y and gave him Lock's starting spot despite the fact that T2Y did nothing to supplant him. Not to mention that Teddy should not have started against Cleveland last week (for health reasons), and this week Lock should get the nod just to try to give the team a jump start.

I would love to know why, but the bottom line is it's kinda of petty coming from a 60+ year old "man."
    Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

How does Fangio not like Lock, when he was part of the staff that drafted him to the Denver Broncos in the first place? Lock was injured, that’s why Allen started. As soon as he was healthy enough to practice for a couple weeks, he was activated off of IR… and he started. This man came off of a significant thumb injury, do you think it would be smart to throw him into the deep end right away?

Lock had 13 games last year to prove himself. A traditional, defensive-minded coach like Fangio obviously hates when his offense goes 3-and-out or turns the ball over constantly, forcing his defense to stay out on the field and give up scores. Paton consulted with the coaches and brought in Teddy as a contrasting option in play style to Lock for competition. Obviously, we’re seeing how the results are similar because we’re still going three and out, we’re still turning the ball over, and we’re still losing. BUT, Teddy beat him in the competition over the summer through the weeks and weeks of training camp practices, team meetings, situational execution, and preseason games. If we’re going solely off of what we saw in the preseason games, I would have told you that Lock should have started— but somehow the veteran who came in just this April, re-learned Shurmur’s playbook, and had to establish himself on a new team beat out the incumbent who already knew the playbook and played in this system last year, while already having existing chemistry and familiarity with his teammates and coaches. Call it Fangio trying to save his job, sure. But if Lock was clearly better in the competition, why isn’t he starting?

I don’t think it’s petty, I think it stems from a coaching perspective or philosophy that inherently favors the safer option in Bridgewater so much more than the volatile Lock. Unfortunately, we are seeing how Fangio is failing this team and he absolutely should be shown the door at the end of the year. Perhaps our disappointing head coach thinks that our backup QB is simply not good enough to start for this team… which doesn’t necessarily imply that such a QB is actually “good” and this is just a personal vendetta— maybe, just maybe, our backup QB is just not cut out for the job based on his performance in his 18-game sample size and what he showed this summer and in preparations for games this year. Not a single trade rumor emerged once Lock was named the backup, I’m sure if Fangio hated Lock so much he would’ve gladly parted with him for any crumb of draft capital he could get for the QB— but unfortunately, no trade winds picked up nor did any serious offers gain traction. Maybe the league doesn’t think highly of Lock either.

How indicting is it on both Fangio and Lock that a hobbled 70% Teddy Bridgewater got the nod over the fully healthy, eager backup who was supposedly “close” in the competition? Is it possible to have both a HC that can’t make good decisions and a backup QB that is too much of an offensive liability to start over someone who was very clearly hurt? I don’t know. Just my two cents.

Comment

Broncos has not had many successful young QBs, and if we look at Lock vs, Siemian, Osweiler, Tebow and Cutler whom are the relatively recent ones, Siemian and Osweiler had an ability to learn under Kubiak, Tebow was very different during the 2010 McDaniels system, the regular play time under Fox and the time where is was do whatever you can come up with late game play. He also showed progression in the understanding of the game, and learned from mistakes. The commonality between Lock and Cutler is that like bad Cutler, Drew does not learn from mistakes and gets a high from a great play in a loosing game, and good Lock cannot hold a candle to good Cutler.

I could imagine Lock being great under Kubiak - but he is a sinking ship and refuse to man the pumps. Teddy by contrast does man the pumps, and bad Teddy is a lot better than bad Lock and the good alter egos do not really lend a lot of benefit to Lock

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
        How does Fangio not like Lock, when he was part of the staff that drafted him to the Denver Broncos in the first place? Lock was injured, that’s why Allen started. As soon as he was healthy enough to practice for a couple weeks, he was activated off of IR… and he started. This man came off of a significant thumb injury, do you think it would be smart to throw him into the deep end right away?

Lock had 13 games last year to prove himself. A traditional, defensive-minded coach like Fangio obviously hates when his offense goes 3-and-out or turns the ball over constantly, forcing his defense to stay out on the field and give up scores. Paton consulted with the coaches and brought in Teddy as a contrasting option in play style to Lock for competition. Obviously, we’re seeing how the results are similar because we’re still going three and out, we’re still turning the ball over, and we’re still losing. BUT, Teddy beat him in the competition over the summer through the weeks and weeks of training camp practices, team meetings, situational execution, and preseason games. If we’re going solely off of what we saw in the preseason games, I would have told you that Lock should have started— but somehow the veteran who came in just this April, re-learned Shurmur’s playbook, and had to establish himself on a new team beat out the incumbent who already knew the playbook and played in this system last year, while already having existing chemistry and familiarity with his teammates and coaches. Call it Fangio trying to save his job, sure. But if Lock was clearly better in the competition, why isn’t he starting?

I don’t think it’s petty, I think it stems from a coaching perspective or philosophy that inherently favors the safer option in Bridgewater so much more than the volatile Lock. Unfortunately, we are seeing how Fangio is failing this team and he absolutely should be shown the door at the end of the year. Perhaps our disappointing head coach thinks that our backup QB is simply not good enough to start for this team… which doesn’t necessarily imply that such a QB is actually “good” and this is just a personal vendetta— maybe, just maybe, our backup QB is just not cut out for the job based on his performance in his 18-game sample size and what he showed this summer and in preparations for games this year. Not a single trade rumor emerged once Lock was named the backup, I’m sure if Fangio hated Lock so much he would’ve gladly parted with him for any crumb of draft capital he could get for the QB— but unfortunately, no trade winds picked up nor did any serious offers gain traction. Maybe the league doesn’t think highly of Lock either.

How indicting is it on both Fangio and Lock that a hobbled 70% Teddy Bridgewater got the nod over the fully healthy, eager backup who was supposedly “close” in the competition? Is it possible to have both a HC that can’t make good decisions and a backup QB that is too much of an offensive liability to start over someone who was very clearly hurt? I don’t know. Just my two cents.
        Just cause he was part of the staff, doesn’t mean he drafted him.John Elway drafted Lock and didn’t care whether Fangio wanted Lock or not. Elway has the final say so,not Fangio.
        Also, traditional defensive minded coach doesn’t like a rookie QB. They want the tired old vet that will play it safe not make mistakes and let the defense win the game.
        Last edited by Locutus; 10-29-2021, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
          Broncos has not had many successful young QBs, and if we look at Lock vs, Siemian, Osweiler, Tebow and Cutler whom are the relatively recent ones, Siemian and Osweiler had an ability to learn under Kubiak, Tebow was very different during the 2010 McDaniels system, the regular play time under Fox and the time where is was do whatever you can come up with late game play. He also showed progression in the understanding of the game, and learned from mistakes. The commonality between Lock and Cutler is that like bad Cutler, Drew does not learn from mistakes and gets a high from a great play in a loosing game, and good Lock cannot hold a candle to good Cutler.

I could imagine Lock being great under Kubiak - but he is a sinking ship and refuse to man the pumps. Teddy by contrast does man the pumps, and bad Teddy is a lot better than bad Lock and the good alter egos do not really lend a lot of benefit to Lock
          Teddy’s the one that is sinking the ship.Teddy isn’t the better one, he’s the one that Fangio thought would make less mistakes. Fangio is looking for Teddy to do what he thought Flaccid would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post

Teddy’s the one that is sinking the ship.Teddy isn’t the better one, he’s the one that Fangio thought would make less mistakes. Fangio is looking for Teddy to do what he thought Flaccid would do.
            Teddy is a very limited QB. It is why he is playing for his 4th team in 7 years of being a QB in the NFL.

There is a serious question as to why Teddy was picked to be the starter I agree. Ok we past that the coached picked Teddy to be the starter. At that point it was on the coaches to run an offense that plays to the Qbs strengths and limits plays to his weakness.

Our offense right now seems to feature all the reasons Teddy is on his 4th NFL team. Deep and medium passes with little run game. Our offense has decided Teddy is going to be a franchise QB that is going to carry the offense. EXACTLY what is known he can not do.
            Lets Ride!

Comment

Something smells fishy in the Mountains with the QB situation in Denver. Lock may be a Punk, spoiled, entitled kid, (maybe not) BUT, He has some talent and it's a shame the coaches couldn't get him to the next level.
              I think in the right situation, with the right coaching staff with a strong O-line, we would see a Different Drew Lock?

Comment

Alternative theory: Drew Lock isn’t a good quarterback. How did he do in the Baltimore game to prove he should be the starter?

Comment

It might be personal with Shurmur.

Comment

I don't see it as personal, but I'm quite ok with letting Lock take over to see what he's got. Shoot, he'd have all his weapons back, so no excuses. Let him be the starter, and if he succeeds, great news! But if he does not impress, it seals the deal going forward, that a QB HAS TO BE the priority this offseason. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Comment

Put him in, run some no huddle...we're a 1982 offense right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DEN4EVER
                        Waaaah, poor lock waaaaaahhhh.

It's not fair.
                        Hes a better QB
                        The coaches just dont like him
                        His ceiling is higher
                        He has a bigger arm
                        Injuries
                        New scheme
                        new coaches
                        4-1 record as a rookie
                        Covid season
                        If he has.... great coaching, all star backs, and all pro oLine, lots of weapons outside he'd be great. ( as if any QB wouldnt be great with all pros across the bored on O )

waaaaaaahhh

Did I miss anything?
                        Any other excuses as to why dude has amounted to a bag of chips and a 20oz of pop?
                        Getting sick of hearing about the damn guy, and all the lame retreaded excuses his supporters offer.

As much as I dont want to see him. Get the guy on the damn field so he can throw and fumble the game away, so ONCE AGAIN we can see hes not a starter. (He hasn't even proved to be a good back up) So as a fan base we can rid ourselves of this hypothetical high ceiling guy, that never puts it together and freaking move on. Dudes just another bust, in a LONG line of Drafted Denver QBs that never panned out.

Dude lost his job, and appears to be pouting on the sidelines instead of honing his craft, and getting better. He should be reviewing game film, talking to coaches, and checking with Teddy when they come off the field.
                        Instead he sits on the bench, by himself looking like hes uninterested in the game.( that should tell you all you need to know about the guy )

I'm over it. Bench teddy, play lock so he can " ball out " and land us another top 10 draft pick and we can be done.
                        You're right, Dude. We should definitely stick with Teddy and his career year since his best makes us a contender. You are also correct that Drew should be attempting to improve, and busting his hump for a coaching staff that clearly wrote him off before anything was proven, and gave away his job to a player that never did anything to earn the job. He should probably start by asking T2Y how he can overlook the deep, open, receiver and hit that 3 yard check down on third and 9.
                        Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

One has to wonder why a healthy Lock wasn’t a better option than an injured Bridgewater.

It kinda shows that Fangio lied when he said they have two quarterbacks that can win. Even if they do, he obviously doesn’t believe it.

I give Lock a pass for the Ravens game. I don’t think he’s a guy that can come off the bench and win. I think he needs a full week of practice as the starter to be able to win.

Since they have given up on Lock, they might as well try to trade him for draft capital.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                            One has to wonder why a healthy Lock wasn’t a better option than an injured Bridgewater.

It kinda shows that Fangio lied when he said they have two quarterbacks that can win. Even if they do, he obviously doesn’t believe it.

I give Lock a pass for the Ravens game. I don’t think he’s a guy that can come off the bench and win. I think he needs a full week of practice as the starter to be able to win.

Since they have given up on Lock, they might as well try to trade him for draft capital.
                            He was probably worth more before they told the rest of the NFL they'd rather have Teddy Bridgewater. If somebody trades significant capital (anything more than a 4th, I'd wager) for Lock, they're basically saying that the Broncos suck. The good news is that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't suck. The Panthers tried telling the Jets they suck, and apparently they also suck. One thing we do know. It sucks to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

He was probably worth more before they told the rest of the NFL they'd rather have Teddy Bridgewater. If somebody trades significant capital (anything more than a 4th, I'd wager) for Lock, they're basically saying that the Broncos suck. The good news is that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't suck. The Panthers tried telling the Jets they suck, and apparently they also suck. One thing we do know. It sucks to suck.

Comment

Working...
                              X