Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Won Again Today!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Let's go Broncos!

    Win this one for SRA!

    Seriously though, there's a bit of a flukeyness to the outcome this week, and this team just gets harder and harder to peg.

    Nobody was overly shocked by the 3-0 start, and similarly, the 0-4 slide, sadly. Really should have been able to pull at least one win in that 4 game stretch, but it's over and done.

    Even with the Cowboys coming out flat, our play was impressive though. It wasn't just that we trapped them, but we trounced them in the process. Our run blocking was amazing, and our LB crew looks entirely different from a few weeks ago (I didn't get to see much of the Wash game).

    We now have as many wins as we did in the entirety of last season, and while that's a low bar, it's still something I think is worth being happy with. There are exactly two teams in the AFC with more wins than we have. There's 4 others with a half game lead on us because they had their bye and we haven't yet.

    That means we are squarely in the thick of the playoff hunt.

    We all still have doubts with good reason, but our fate is in our hands. If we continue to play like we did Sunday, we have a decent shot at the playoffs.

    At the start of the season, or even after our first three wins or our next four losses... if I told you that through 9 weeks, we'd have a winning record, be a half game out of the division lead and in the thick of the playoff hunt... would that not be exciting and good news?

    Did you know we still have the #2 scoring D in the league?

    :

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      Let's go Broncos!

      Win this one for SRA!

      Seriously though, there's a bit of a flukeyness to the outcome this week, and this team just gets harder and harder to peg.

      Nobody was overly shocked by the 3-0 start, and similarly, the 0-4 slide, sadly. Really should have been able to pull at least one win in that 4 game stretch, but it's over and done.

      Even with the Cowboys coming out flat, our play was impressive though. It wasn't just that we trapped them, but we trounced them in the process. Our run blocking was amazing, and our LB crew looks entirely different from a few weeks ago (I didn't get to see much of the Wash game).

      We now have as many wins as we did in the entirety of last season, and while that's a low bar, it's still something I think is worth being happy with. There are exactly two teams in the AFC with more wins than we have. There's 4 others with a half game lead on us because they had their bye and we haven't yet.

      That means we are squarely in the thick of the playoff hunt.

      We all still have doubts with good reason, but our fate is in our hands. If we continue to play like we did Sunday, we have a decent shot at the playoffs.

      At the start of the season, or even after our first three wins or our next four losses... if I told you that through 9 weeks, we'd have a winning record, be a half game out of the division lead and in the thick of the playoff hunt... would that not be exciting and good news?

      Did you know we still have the #2 scoring D in the league?

      :
      Appreciate the game dedication.

      Honestly, what we saw against Dallas was what has made this year so frustrating. The potential was their but for some reason they just fumbled along. Got away with it for weeks 1-3, then it caught up the following 4 weeks.

      As fun as Sunday was, I was also thinking "Where has this been all year?" I didn't expect dominant performances every week like Sunday but we could have won at least 2 or 3 of the 4 we lost had we played and coached the way we did. How did we do that to Dallas yet couldn't against Case Keenum and the Browns a few weeks ago?

      But, whatever, it is what it is and we can't change it. Just have to move on to next week and hope we keep it going against Philly.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by sra84 View Post

        Appreciate the game dedication.

        Honestly, what we saw against Dallas was what has made this year so frustrating. The potential was their but for some reason they just fumbled along. Got away with it for weeks 1-3, then it caught up the following 4 weeks.

        As fun as Sunday was, I was also thinking "Where has this been all year?" I didn't expect dominant performances every week like Sunday but we could have won at least 2 or 3 of the 4 we lost had we played and coached the way we did. How did we do that to Dallas yet couldn't against Case Keenum and the Browns a few weeks ago?

        But, whatever, it is what it is and we can't change it. Just have to move on to next week and hope we keep it going against Philly.
        As for the Case Keenum piece. We played them on the road on the Thursday night. Then, turned a 10 day mini bye into full prep for Dallas. Couple that with Dallas probably sleeping on Denver and we trounced them.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

          As for the Case Keenum piece. We played them on the road on the Thursday night. Then, turned a 10 day mini bye into full prep for Dallas. Couple that with Dallas probably sleeping on Denver and we trounced them.
          We played Washington after Cleveland.

          And we lost because our offense was poor. Defense only gave up 17 points.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by sra84 View Post

            We played Washington after Cleveland.

            And we lost because our offense was poor. Defense only gave up 17 points.
            A big part of that loss was that the defense got trucked by a 3rd string fisherman and Case Keenum.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by broncolee View Post

              A big part of that loss was that the defense got trucked by a 3rd string fisherman and Case Keenum.
              As bad as that was, we still only gave up 17 points. The offense is still the reason we lost to Cleveland. Teddy throwing the interception in the red zone was brutal.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

                W I D E open?

                Nope. I believe the Chiefs will get back to winning again and win the AFC West by 2-4 games.
                With all the issues the Raiders are having and injuries we have I wouldn't doubt it. They're not as good as the last two years though.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by sra84 View Post

                  Appreciate the game dedication.

                  Honestly, what we saw against Dallas was what has made this year so frustrating. The potential was their but for some reason they just fumbled along. Got away with it for weeks 1-3, then it caught up the following 4 weeks.

                  As fun as Sunday was, I was also thinking "Where has this been all year?" I didn't expect dominant performances every week like Sunday but we could have won at least 2 or 3 of the 4 we lost had we played and coached the way we did. How did we do that to Dallas yet couldn't against Case Keenum and the Browns a few weeks ago?

                  But, whatever, it is what it is and we can't change it. Just have to move on to next week and hope we keep it going against Philly.
                  The Browns game was infuriating.

                  Looking back, I honestly don't know how we held them to just 17 points. I remember watching and just feeling like we couldn't do anything on D to stop them with the shell of our LB corps out there. Maybe it was because of WHO was killing us. TOP was hard against us in that game. The best thing about our win last week to me was that the D seemed to find itself again and didn't look hapless out there.

                  Obviously NONE of us expects to go up 30 on contending teams week in and week out. Obviously Dallas came out flat, but even when good teams lose games they shouldn't because they come out flat... it doesn't generally look like that.

                  We also came out and played pretty much to our best level, and showed what our true potential is when we have a good game plan and execute it.

                  This has been a very crazy season around the entire league, and I honestly don't know what to expect out of anyone moving forward. I don't know if I've ever seen so many upsets all go down at the same time. Red Zone was going nuts. (I love that I can get Red Zone on Hulu now! Dropped DirectTV a few years ago, only had them for the Ticket)

                  I honestly think that losing Hamler and Jeudy at the same time was a bigger detriment to this team than we wanted to admit at the time (not that it excuses some really bad outings). Having Jeudy back seems to have helped to open some things back up.

                  The Oline looked like a different beast than it had in a minute too though... and I had just about given up any hope for this last week when I heard Bolles was out.

                  We have 5 division games still on the schedule and we can complete our NFC sweep this week and hopefully go into our bye with a great mindset and really come out firing against the Chargers. (Wish KC didn't get us right after their bye though... that's not going to help things...)

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                    The Browns game was infuriating.

                    Looking back, I honestly don't know how we held them to just 17 points. I remember watching and just feeling like we couldn't do anything on D to stop them with the shell of our LB corps out there. Maybe it was because of WHO was killing us. TOP was hard against us in that game. The best thing about our win last week to me was that the D seemed to find itself again and didn't look hapless out there.

                    Obviously NONE of us expects to go up 30 on contending teams week in and week out. Obviously Dallas came out flat, but even when good teams lose games they shouldn't because they come out flat... it doesn't generally look like that.

                    We also came out and played pretty much to our best level, and showed what our true potential is when we have a good game plan and execute it.

                    This has been a very crazy season around the entire league, and I honestly don't know what to expect out of anyone moving forward. I don't know if I've ever seen so many upsets all go down at the same time. Red Zone was going nuts. (I love that I can get Red Zone on Hulu now! Dropped DirectTV a few years ago, only had them for the Ticket)

                    I honestly think that losing Hamler and Jeudy at the same time was a bigger detriment to this team than we wanted to admit at the time (not that it excuses some really bad outings). Having Jeudy back seems to have helped to open some things back up.

                    The Oline looked like a different beast than it had in a minute too though... and I had just about given up any hope for this last week when I heard Bolles was out.

                    We have 5 division games still on the schedule and we can complete our NFC sweep this week and hopefully go into our bye with a great mindset and really come out firing against the Chargers. (Wish KC didn't get us right after their bye though... that's not going to help things...)
                    Of course they did. 59% of the play calls were runs.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                      Of course they did. 59% of the play calls were runs.
                      And I'd 100% support continuing this trend.

                      We need to either stop the opponents from getting out in front of us, or hide the scoreboard from Shurmur though to keep it up.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I don't think it's a coincidence that Javonte Williams' career high number of carries in a single game and arguably the Broncos' most impressive win of the season so far happened in the same game.

                        If he had more than 4 carries vs the Browns, that one might have turned out differently.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                          And I'd 100% support continuing this trend.

                          We need to either stop the opponents from getting out in front of us, or hide the scoreboard from Shurmur though to keep it up.
                          Who do you think called those plays?
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                            Who do you think called those plays?
                            Shurmur.

                            And I trust him to continue to do so if we are in the lead by the end of the first quarter. I trust him a bit less if we let the opponent out in front by even a bit.

                            Do you not feel like we've gotten away from the running game at times, and perhaps a bit too early?

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

                              Shurmur.

                              And I trust him to continue to do so if we are in the lead by the end of the first quarter. I trust him a bit less if we let the opponent out in front by even a bit.

                              Do you not feel like we've gotten away from the running game at times, and perhaps a bit too early?
                              You may or may not recall that I have always been a proponent of building the O-Line in order to run a balanced offense with a commitment to a viable rushing attack with plenty of PAP. That is why it was such a pleasure for me to watch the Broncos play that style of offense at Dallas.

                              Don't know how much of a student of football history you are, but there are a lot of different ways to run the ball. Regardless of style, a viable rushing attack requires commitment which means patience.

                              Of the Wing-T, some used to say it's like novocaine; it takes time, but it always works. Some people freak out when a run play gains little or no yards. Some want to hit the panic button and start throwing the ball on every down. Just look at the game day thread.

                              One thing I haven't seen in a long time is a series based rushing attack. That is possible when an offense has a bread and butter run play they practice against all alignments and use every game. Consistent execution can force D to make adjustments to stop it. There are companion plays run from the same formation which attack the adjustments.

                              Sure, I've been disappointed at the lack of commitment to the rushing attack and playing a balanced offense. Maybe Fangio and Munchak have persuaded Shurmur to channel his inner O-Lineman. Fangio knows that no decent defense wants the opponent to run on them and will adjust to stop it. Munchak knows that running effectively (especially using angle blocking) is the best way to beat up on the opposing D.

                              If half the plays are run and half the pass attempts are off of play action, three fourths of the plays look like runs to the defensive front. Many, if not most, of the rushing attempts at Dallas came from 11 personnel formations. That's a recipe for a viable, balanced attack.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Sam - You and I are on the same side on this one. The Wing-T is before my time, but I love the Novocaine quote.

                                I am absolutely all about having 3/4 of the plays look like runs.

                                My comment was simply meant to imply that I hope we can continue the commitment to the run, even if we're down by a bit. Until the clock is absolutely working against us and we don't have time to run, we need to continue to run. It's easy to run when you lead by two digit scores. It's more difficult to stay committed when down by a touchdown or more. Just need to not panic too early, which it has felt like we have at times.

                                Let me ask you, because you do have better knowledge on this stuff... I think I someone mention that Stink was commenting that we were using a different style of run blocking compared to how we had been previously. Is that something you noticed, and could you elaborate on anything we may have done differently besides just staying committed to the run?

                                It was particularly impressive given how beat up our line is/was, IMO... The RBs looked great out there and they were finding and hitting holes well, but we really seemed to be getting those holes on a much more consistent basis, and again, despite being well into our depth chart.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X