Lets Talk About The (Good) Chances Of 6 and 4 Going Into The Bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Talk About The (Good) Chances Of 6 and 4 Going Into The Bye

I've been a bit critical since 2016, not all the time, but definitely had my concerns....and you know what, I still have some. But because I believe a change "is comin" (in terms of positive results for the next few years minimum), which translates into "I'm supporting Paton" as he gets a full lay out of the landscape, and I'm supporting the players in general, and potential improvements to come. I honestly believe that Paton's mark on this team will be much better understood by next summer. And it could likely mean that some folks will no longer be here, to play, or to help run this team.

That being said, we are in the middle of a season, one that started as hoped, tailed off, and then started to make sense again. The Dallas win spoke volumes for me. I had earlier checked it off as a loss, but boy was I wrong! It was a convincing victory, and came soon after we traded the face of the team for so many years....the SB king. The team reacted as close to perfect as imagined, sticking it to The Cowboys. Made The Cowboys look in disarray. And good for the gang, because they deserved that win, and deserve to feel good about themselves.

Now The Eagles come to town, sporting a 3 and 6 record, though looking pretty solid this past week in their 3 point loss to The Chargers. But no matter the record, I am looking for The Broncos to do the most they can do, and win 3 straight,.....even if it's a struggling team. Because after all, it's not up to us to schedule games. WE PLAY THEM. WE TRY TO WIN THEM.

I've mentioned this before, I make no apologies if we do win our 3rd straight, and go 6 and 4 before a bye week, which will help in making our team a bit healthier. I've also pointed out, if we win #6, that guarantees that no other AFC West team will have more. We win, it will be up to them to keep up their side of the ledger. The Chargers have The Vikes, which is not going to be a walk in the park, and Vegas plays KC, which means one of them will not have 6 wins. It basically says to me that The Broncos could be in a decent position going into the bye.

After bye week it's going to speed up in terms of divisional competition. The final test of this Broncos squad. 5 divisional games in the final drive. That will likely settle this season in terms of playoff hopes. Too far away to worry about. We got Philly at home on Sunday.

At this point, like most points, a win is a win is a win. And 6 and 4 sounds good to me, no matter who we play this Sunday. Not going to even let any "easy game" thoughts enter my head, because NFL games are not easy, and Philly is not coming here to lose. I expect a nice balanced attack, and a D that is out to prove once again that they can succeed, beyond the days of Mr. Miller.

My concern is Philly has a good defensive line historically and we have no depth on the offensive line. Muncheck is doing a nice job, but I’m just not sure we can hold up vs Philly. Their strength is our weakness right now.
    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

I’m going to have no expectations coming in, as I did last weekend. I just hope our players and coaches maintain the same level of urgency and fire coming into this one to go into the bye on a high note.

Hurts has been underwhelming (but still good on my fantasy team ) as a passer, but is still a decent threat as a runner. I think Fangio needs to evaluate where things went wrong against Baltimore because I could easily see Sirianni and PHI using RPOs and run action to freeze up our edge defenders again—eliminating any threat of an outside pass rush.

Philly’s defense is solid, but they shouldn’t be better than the Cowboys. But they are two different teams with two different schemes, our battered OL better be up to the task against a formidable front.
      https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL View Post
        My concern is Philly has a good defensive line historically and we have no depth on the offensive line. Muncheck is doing a nice job, but I’m just not sure we can hold up vs Philly. Their strength is our weakness right now.
        Philly is below average against the run. As long as we can establish the run as we did Sunday we will be fine.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Philly is below average against the run. As long as we can establish the run as we did Sunday we will be fine.
          Based on yardage alone, The Eagles are somewhere in the middle of the pack in pass D, so The Broncs should be able to attack them with balance as well.

Comment

There is a decent chance we can win with some of the less than impressive performance type games we have seen this year. I hope we do not see that. I hope we come out with another aggressive defensive performance and a serious commitment to the run game.

Risner had an interesting presser this week about how the game we saw against Dal is exactly the kind of offensive game the OL likes. We need another OL offensive game plan the rest of the year.

We will have a hard time beating 4 good teams in a row like we did the Cowboys ... the playoff path in case you wondering what I am talking about. Last week is the first time all year I have felt maybe we can get 1 or 2 of them and make some noise in Jan.

Btw I do not know if this is part of the OL Game Plan Risner spoke of but I really like what they doing with Jeudy and the WRs in general. It is the first time all year I saw us setting something up for future games.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I think The Broncos can be both - playoff hopefuls AND offseason change agents in terms of upgrading the team. We don't have to be just one. And while on this journey to win the division if at all possible, much good can come from it. Some players will shine even brighter. Some folks will step up and be counted. Some decisions for the offseason will become clearer. All good.

Sure, the more wins the less valuable the draft picks. BUT, you still have to choose the right players no matter where you end up selecting, and if you want more draft capital, you trade for it. And then you can trade up, if you want someone badly enough, with a package you could not offer, like before the Miller trade. Not saying those are incredibly valuable draft picks, but they are both within round three and that's darn good, especially if you spice it up with another pick or two. Who knows? Maybe by April we will not want to move up. Too early. BUT, it's great to have options.

So yes, gang, we can sit back and see where this thing goes in '21, and hopefully into the new year. And at the same time we can strategize all we want, about the offseason and all that it may bring.

Comment

We'll see how it goes. They finally had a good game against a good team. That's encouraging but it's only one game. I haven't seen anywhere near enough to make me think they could win a playoff game if they were to get there.
                Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                  We'll see how it goes. They finally had a good game against a good team. That's encouraging but it's only one game. I haven't seen anywhere near enough to make me think they could win a playoff game if they were to get there.
                  Barely getting to the playoffs is probably a good place to be if we're going to try to attract Rodgers, Wilson, etc. to migrate here next year. Most of their other options will be losing, QB-needy teams they know they need to carry on their backs. If we look like we're just an elite QB short of a Super Bowl run then we'll have the inside track on landing one of those guys.

Comment

Like others here have said, as long as we maintain the urgency and intensity on D..and have fast developing plays on O, I will be more than happy. Rather take the higher risk option on D and the lower risk on O (keep pounding the ball , and short intermediate routes for passing game to backs, TEs and JJ.
                    no problem with involving Patrick and Sutton on deeper routes- but not so often.

Comment

Just another quick question... is anyone due back from injury after the bye week?

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                        Just another quick question... is anyone due back from injury after the bye week?
                        Bradley Chubb? Michael Ojemudia, Bobby Massie, Garrett Bolles, Noah Fant, Drew Lock, Malik Reed, and
                        Pat Surtain, Mike Purcell?
                        samparnell
                        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                        Last edited by samparnell; 11-10-2021, 06:42 AM. Reason: typo
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

There is a chance the Eagles could be without their top CB Darius Slay. Eagles defense can be had in the passing game. Their linebacker situation is just as questionable as ours. Just watch what the Chargers did. They worked the underneath routs, the quick passes, had time consuming drives that ended with points.....similar to what the Broncos did against Dallas. Herbert was the fifth quarterback to have at least 80% completion against the Eagles this year.

Eagles defensive line has shown to be stout at times. Javon Hargrave has been outstanding this year for Philadelphia. We have to obviously establish the run but it may tough, especially early on.

The Eagles offense has been best when it is centered on the run game. Stop the run and contain Hurts from scrambling. WR's Devonta Smith, Quez Watkins and TE Dallas Goedert are their biggest receiving threats. Kelce is one of the best centers in the league but their offensive line is banged up. Our defensive line needs to take advantage.

Jalen Raegor can be a dangerous returner, especially on punts.
                          Last edited by sra84; 11-10-2021, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Based on yardage alone, The Eagles are somewhere in the middle of the pack in pass D, so The Broncs should be able to attack them with balance as well.
                            Yeah that’s kind of what I meant Can. But I think our offense relies on a decent to above average run game in order to establish that balance. Or else Teddy gets killed behind a suspect oline.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Yeah that’s kind of what I meant Can. But I think our offense relies on a decent to above average run game in order to establish that balance. Or else Teddy gets killed behind a suspect oline.
                              I see your point.

Comment

Working...
                              X