Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 starting QB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Truly pathetic letting all of our very talented receivers go to waste with the crap we have at QB. I have about 5 percent faith that we can draft and develop the right qb unless we pick top 1/2 which will never happen.
    And the rest out there in the league is crap unless you get a Wilson which will never happen.
    To me there is only one guy and no one wants to talk about it.
    Otherwise we continue with the mediocrity of being 7-10 or 8-9 every year.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by sra84 View Post
      We take one of these quarterbacks in the first or second round of the draft next year, we're setting ourselves back another 3 or 4 years.

      This QB class stinks.
      Watch some game tape of Pickett. I felt the same way as you a couple months ago but Pickett has really impressed me with his progression this year.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Allen C View Post

        Watch some game tape of Pickett. I felt the same way as you a couple months ago but Pickett has really impressed me with his progression this year.
        I have watched Pickett as I have all of these quarterbacks. Pickett is a mid round prospect. He's also a one year wonder.

        People look too much at traits and potential but they ignore, or just don't see and acknowledge, what they are as a quarterback. They don't just watch them play and make the connections of how they play and how it would translate in the NFL. That's how we got stuck with guys like Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock. People looked at traits and potential but ignored what they were as a quarterback and failed to make the evaluation of how their play would translate into the NFL.

        I've said I'm ok taking a quarterback in this draft, as long as it's in the 3rd round or later. These prospects are more bust than boom, their floors are much lower than their ceilings are higher. And I'm not passing up a legit OT, ILB or Pass Rusher in the first 2 rounds for one of those quarterbacks.

        We passed on a real franchise quarterback prospect in Fields, a real impact linebacker in Parsons and a legit OT in Slater for a cornerback who couldn't cover a 6'1" 160 lbs receiver in Devonta Smith.

        If Paton takes a quarterback before the third round, he needs to be fired because it will be clear he doesn't know how to evaluate quarterbacks.
        Last edited by sra84; 11-15-2021, 01:39 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
          2022 QB

          1.) Rodgers (ALL IN!!!)

          2.) Willson

          3.) Watson

          4.) Rookie QB
          ^^^^

          this!!!!

          Comment


          • #20
            I hate to be that guy, but I think its going to be Bridgewater...unless the coaches can convert him to Safety in the offseason, his tackling skills are something.

            I just think its going to be Teddy because I doubt Paton trades up for a QB in the first round, and I don't think there are going to be better free agents available or trades we can make. Unfortunately I think we're going to be stuck with Teddy - hes going to be cheap and the best available option for us.

            This isnt really based on anything besides a hunch. I sure do hope Im wrong.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Allen C View Post

              Watch some game tape of Pickett. I felt the same way as you a couple months ago but Pickett has really impressed me with his progression this year.
              He should have progressed, it’s what his 6th year?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

                He should have progressed, it’s what his 6th year?
                He will be 24 next June.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by sra84 View Post

                  I have watched Pickett as I have all of these quarterbacks. Pickett is a mid round prospect. He's also a one year wonder.

                  People look too much at traits and potential but they ignore, or just don't see and acknowledge, what they are as a quarterback. They don't just watch them play and make the connections of how they play and how it would translate in the NFL. That's how we got stuck with guys like Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock. People looked at traits and potential but ignored what they were as a quarterback and failed to make the evaluation of how their play would translate into the NFL.

                  I've said I'm ok taking a quarterback in this draft, as long as it's in the 3rd round or later. These prospects are more bust than boom, their floors are much lower than their ceilings are higher. And I'm not passing up a legit OT, ILB or Pass Rusher in the first 2 rounds for one of those quarterbacks.

                  We passed on a real franchise quarterback prospect in Fields, a real impact linebacker in Parsons and a legit OT in Slater for a cornerback who couldn't cover a 6'1" 160 lbs receiver in Devonta Smith.

                  If Paton takes a quarterback before the third round, he needs to be fired because it will be clear he doesn't know how to evaluate quarterbacks.
                  He covered that Heisman trophy winning WR well every time they were matched up including on that play.

                  Joe Burrow was a one year wonder, Kyler Murray was a one year wonder, Justin Fields had 1 great year in terms of TDs, Mac Jones 1 year wonder.

                  Chances are Kenny Pickett wins the Heisman and ends up the 1st QB selected.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

                    He should have progressed, it’s what his 6th year?
                    Old Bill Parcells rule of thumb, don't draft a QB unless he has 4 years starting experience

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Allen C View Post

                      He covered that Heisman trophy winning WR well every time they were matched up including on that play.

                      Joe Burrow was a one year wonder, Kyler Murray was a one year wonder, Justin Fields had 1 great year in terms of TDs, Mac Jones 1 year wonder.

                      Chances are Kenny Pickett wins the Heisman and ends up the 1st QB selected.
                      Fields had 2 great years. Again it's more than stats, traits and potential. He carried that Ohio State team in 2019 and 2020.

                      Look at what LSU was before, during and after Burrow. LSU always had talent but they were a middling team in the SEC. It wasn't until Burrow that they exploded into the championship race. Now that Burrow is gone, LSU is a middling team again.

                      Was never big on Murray. I don't think he can hold up for long because of his size and style of play.

                      Wasn't big on Mac Jones either. He is a limited quarterback who benefited from the all world talent around him.

                      And I wasn't high on Zach Wilson either. I felt he was way over rated, like Pickett is now.

                      And Surtain is not worth what having Fields, Parsons or Slater would have meant to us. Surtain is ok but he is not nor will ever be an elite shut down cornerback. Sunday proved that. He was shielded at Alabama by the dominant front 7 the Tide has year after year. Much like the Alabama quarterbacks, I'm not really buying an Alabama cornerback as a shut down corner because they are rarely tested because the Tide's front 7 makes it easy for the secondary.
                      Last edited by sra84; 11-16-2021, 12:08 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Bottom line, it was a mistake to take Surtain over the other players I mentioned and it will be an even bigger mistake to take a quarterback in either the first or second round of the draft next year. Just like it was a mistake to bring in Bridgewater instead of just rolling with Lock if we weren't going to seriously address the quarterback position this past off-season. Simple as that.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by sra84 View Post

                          Fields had 2 great years. Again it's more than stats, traits and potential. He carried that Ohio State team in 2019 and 2020.

                          Look at what LSU was before, during and after Burrow. LSU always had talent but they were a middling team in the SEC. It wasn't until Burrow that they exploded into the championship race. Now that Burrow is gone, LSU is a middling team again.


                          Was never big on Murray. I don't think he can hold up for long because of his size and style of play.

                          Wasn't big on Mac Jones either. He is a limited quarterback who benefited from the all world talent around him.

                          And I wasn't high on Zach Wilson either. I felt he was way over rated, like Pickett is now.

                          And Surtain is not worth what having Fields, Parsons or Slater would have meant to us. Surtain is ok but he is not nor will ever be an elite shut down cornerback. Sunday proved that. He was shielded at Alabama by the dominant front 7 the Tide has year after year. Much like the Alabama quarterbacks, I'm not really buying an Alabama cornerback as a shut down corner because they are rarely tested because the Tide's front 7 makes it easy for the secondary.
                          I gotta ask though, when was the last time Pitt was this good? 12 years ago?

                          I'm with you on Fields, Parsons, and Slater, but bro, there's more to Pickett's game than stats. Paton just attended the Pickett/Howell game, and honestly, I can see both being better than Drew Lock. I feel the same way about Corral and Willis, and guess who attended the Ole Miss/Liberty game? Would I rather have Fields or Aaron Rodgers? Hell yeah, but we're not getting Fields, and we're probably not getting Rodgers either.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

                            I gotta ask though, when was the last time Pitt was this good? 12 years ago?

                            I'm with you on Fields, Parsons, and Slater, but bro, there's more to Pickett's game than stats. Paton just attended the Pickett/Howell game, and honestly, I can see both being better than Drew Lock. I feel the same way about Corral and Willis, and guess who attended the Ole Miss/Liberty game? Would I rather have Fields or Aaron Rodgers? Hell yeah, but we're not getting Fields, and we're probably not getting Rodgers either.
                            Yep. I feel like if we don't draft a QB then it will be another year of Teddy or someone like Trubisky or Marriota. Honestly we should have went after Trubisky in FA and seen what he could do with these WRs on a 1 year deal.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

                              I gotta ask though, when was the last time Pitt was this good? 12 years ago?

                              I'm with you on Fields, Parsons, and Slater, but bro, there's more to Pickett's game than stats. Paton just attended the Pickett/Howell game, and honestly, I can see both being better than Drew Lock. I feel the same way about Corral and Willis, and guess who attended the Ole Miss/Liberty game? Would I rather have Fields or Aaron Rodgers? Hell yeah, but we're not getting Fields, and we're probably not getting Rodgers either.
                              Fields has been pretty bad this year, I'm really not sure why so many are still hung up on him? He might end up being a great QB, but right now he's not, and I feel like a lot of fans talking about how we should have drafted Fields would be compelling about us drafting him right now if we had.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

                                Fields has been pretty bad this year, I'm really not sure why so many are still hung up on him? He might end up being a great QB, but right now he's not, and I feel like a lot of fans talking about how we should have drafted Fields would be compelling about us drafting him right now if we had.
                                I've covered it a million times in here. Yes he's looked bad in an offense with a bad offensive line and downfield, late developing routes. He has to learn how to see things faster and take what the defense gives him, because the downfield stuff is what he loved to sit in the pocket and do a Ohio State. Go watch the second half of the Steelers game. Get him under center, and get him on the move. As far as where he needs work, I think he'll pick it up, and he'll only improve. If he had gone to the Patriots and McDaniels I highly, highly doubt you'd be able to come in here and talk about how bad he looks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X