Teddy - He can't tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
    Elite QBs have clout and aren’t expected to risk an entire season on a tackle. You seem to be ignorant of that fact.
    Don't call me ignorant dude (or any similar facsimile).We know that QBs need to be protected, hence the ridiculous roughing calls at times, and in my opinion, biased towards the so called elite. But starting QBs are few, count 'em, 32 at one time, and no team wants their starter to get hurt. It's all relevant, your best QB is your starter (if healthy), even if he is not in the same GOAT conversation as some. If you are the lowest team or the best, you do not want to lose your starting QB.

Do I get that a Brady is worth more healthy than a Flacco? Of course. But do I think teams who have a starting QB who is less talented than a Brady expect that player to take much more in the way of physical risks? Not if that is their #1 starter, no matter how good he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by justabroncosfan View Post
      One thing about this infamous play that I don't think has been mentioned, is in Darius Slay's post conference interview after that game he mentioned he spoke with Teddy after the game and joked and asked Teddy, "Why didn't you tackle me?" and Teddy said, according to Slay, "Slay, you know I can't tackle you."

I know football is just a game, but that lighthearted response irked me. "Slay, you know I can't tackle you." Really? You can't tackle him why?
      Teddy's comment irked me as well.
      Teddy may not have been able to tackle Slay, but his attempt could have put other Broncos in a better position to tackle Slay.
      Fangio lost me for not benching Teddy this upcoming week because it sets a poor example for other players who care about winning.
      I'd prefer Fangio bench Teddy; fire himself, and take Shurmur with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I'll agree on what the title said.....Teddy can't tackle.

I wish he had shown much more effort but he didn't. And it does matter that many QBs have looked foolish over the years, pretending to get involved but shying away. I've shown some clips. But apparently folks think we can't mention Brady or almost anyone else but Bridgewater. I get it. The best QBs have to be protected. But lesser QBs are not exactly chopped liver. And in this case it wasn't bad throw....our RB fumbled it on a key play. And I ask again, where were the other 10 guys, given the return took a while to get going?

I will continue to believe it was the so called silver bullet (that doesn't exist) for those who can't wait to rid ourselves of Mr. Bridgewater. I still respect all that he's been through. It takes guts and perseverance to suffer a damaging injury just after 2 good years into your career, in the most important position in sports. Just when you were being acknowledged for your performances, and for the future you would likely have.

And it took him close to 2 years to recover, and who knows how long after to trust his body. I still flinch a little if someone/something hits my once fully broken leg. That occurred about 40 years ago.

I hope Teddy wins this weekend. And as I have expressed elsewhere, if he does not do well this week, we gotta look at playing Lock. In fairness, if he does well but we lose, it's not quite the same take that I have, given the decision-makers have kept him this long.
        You are more level-headed then most Bronco fans (myself included), I can appreciate that, however I respectfully disagree sometimes with your overtly positive spin on this particular play. Weirdly enough, I do enjoy your overtly positive attitude with regard to the Broncos seasons prospects even if the optimism seems ill-founded in my opinion.

With that said, I saw your posts showing Tom Brady shirking away from tackling. You might have shown others qb's, but I forget the other evidence you provided in your post to back up your post. I did a quick youtube search and found a highlight of Peyton Manning after having multiple surgeries on his neck attempting a dive tackle after the running back fumbled.

I'll add the link below to the Peyton Manning play I'm mentioning. Then below that is a link to Teddy's play.

Peyton's tackle...

Bridgewater's "tackle"....

Comment

One thing about this infamous play that I don't think has been mentioned, is in Darius Slay's post conference interview after that game he mentioned he spoke with Teddy after the game and joked and asked Teddy, "Why didn't you tackle me?" and Teddy said, according to Slay, "Slay, you know I can't tackle you."

I know football is just a game, but that lighthearted response irked me. "Slay, you know I can't tackle you." Really? You can't tackle him why?
          Did you think, just maybe, it was a between buddy kinda joke. Slay joked you said. If people over analyze, they can lose a lot of sleep.

I am not sure about it, but there is that possibility. The locker room chatter. Surprised Slay mentioned it publicly.

Comment

Did you think, just maybe, it was a between buddy kinda joke. Slay joked you said. If people over analyze, they can lose a lot of sleep.

I am not sure about it, but there is that possibility. The locker room chatter. Surprised Slay mentioned it publicly.
            It was locker room chatter. That's why Teddy is esteemed by his football peers. He's easy going and always smiling. He's easy to like.

But where is the competitive spirit?

I think Teddy lacks that.

Comment

You are more level-headed then most Bronco fans (myself included), I can appreciate that, however I respectfully disagree sometimes with your overtly positive spin on this particular play. Weirdly enough, I do enjoy your overtly positive attitude with regard to the Broncos seasons prospects even if the optimism seems ill-founded in my opinion.

With that said, I saw your posts showing Tom Brady shirking away from tackling. You might have shown others qb's, but I forget the other evidence you provided in your post to back up your post. I did a quick youtube search and found a highlight of Peyton Manning after having multiple surgeries on his neck attempting a dive tackle after the running back fumbled.

I'll add the link below to the Peyton Manning play I'm mentioning. Then below that is a link to Teddy's play.

Peyton's tackle...

Bridgewater's "tackle"....

Shoot, I can't open the video, but I can find Manning's attempt on my own.

To be sure, I would not normally defend any QB this much. But the bashing and piling on does not sit well. As I told folks, it took me a minute to find at least 2 Brady "attempts", and lets be clear, they were pretty weak. I showed a Romo gif, where it looks like he hurt himself as he tried to get out of the way. I also showed Cam Newton bounce away from a fumble, against a certain SB Champion team. Remember? SB 50. That was for me one of the worst efforts in history, given the significance of the game, when it occurred, and how close he was to recovering. The SB was on the line!

I stopped looking for more videos because I have seen few responses, so why bother keep posting them? I am not knocking the positive folks here, because I strongly believe they want no part of the negativity in parts of the Broncos fanbase.

But, I have accepted the fact it was a terrible effort, and I would be ok if Lock started. I am not one sided. just defending the guy from what I would call excessiveness. I also have been very up front that I wanted a different QB than we have this year. But I don't whine about it every week.

Finally, I accept that we may not go very far this year, but I am still pumped about what may come in '22.
              Last edited by CanDB; 11-24-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

To be sure, I would not normally defend any QB this much. But the bashing and piling on does not sit well. As I told folks, it took me a minute to find at least 2 Brady "attempts", and lets be clear, they were pretty weak. I showed a Romo gif, where it looks like he hurt himself as he tried to get out of the way. I also showed Cam Newton, bounce away from a fumble, against a certain SB Champion team. Remember? That was for me one of the worst efforts in history, given the significance of the game, when it occurred, and how close he was to recovering. The SB was on the line!

I stopped looking for more videos because I have seen few responses, so why bother keep posting them? I am not knocking the positive folks here, because I strongly believe they want no part of the negativity in parts of the Broncos fanbase.

But, I have accepted the fact it was a terrible effort, and I would be ok if Lock started. I am not one sided. just defending the guy from what I would call excessiveness. I also have been very up front that I wanted a different QB than we have this year. But I don't whine about it every week.

Finally, I accept that we may not go very far this year, but I am still pumped about what may come in '22.
                Yea. the videos aren't able to be opened. I saw that too. NFL proprietary rights I guess. My bad.

Keep being positive. While I think your optimism is unfounded, I enjoy seeing your takes. No one (including myself) is defending Teddy, and you provide arguments against fans being vehement that Teddy made the wrong decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                  Elite QBs have clout and aren’t expected to risk an entire season on a tackle. You seem to be ignorant of that fact.
                  They might get a pass, but Peyton Manning would make a tackle or at least assist in making the tackle.

Brady will try to get in the way.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                  Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

Yea. the videos aren't able to be opened. I saw that too. NFL proprietary rights I guess. My bad.

Keep being positive. While I think your optimism is unfounded, I enjoy seeing your takes. No one (including myself) is defending Teddy, and you provide arguments against fans being vehement that Teddy made the wrong decision.
                    Thank you! And in these few posts I have learned a lot about you. Good stuff.

If I am being honest (haha, I always think that's a funny thing to say....why, do I lie some times??!!), I was never big on wearing those pretty coloured glasses, or drink the so called juice, but I would not be optimistic if I did not see some hope beyond this season. I'll admit it, I have grumbled about the last 5 or so years, and the time we had/wasted to acquire a top 10 QB, and to have built a strong Oline. At least that part's coming on better. And when the anger here was aimed towards Elway, I saw the logic for being concerned, but I also wanted him to step aside, stay in the organization, but find someone to make his life much better....and that appears to be Paton. Do I know for sure he's the right person? No I don't. But what I read and what I have witnessed in some aspects, gives me some hope. Therefore after 5 or 6 years of underperforming, I am looking forward to what may be (good)....and yes, the offseason is less than a few months away! That's when the FAs and Draft and trades become an adventure.

But you can see it, this place is laced with "fire this guy", "fire that guy", "get rid of the cheerleaders" (oh wait, that's toooo far!!). And I get the frustration and the disappointment. I do. But I for one am trying to see past it. And though I am not convinced we are making the playoffs, hey, why not wait to see if it happens? Stranger things.....as they say.

Anyway, thanks for the time. Hey, I may battle alone at times, but I am ok taking a few hits. As long as folks are prepared to interact just like you just did, it can be valuable and informative. There are members (and I just recently exchanged pms with one of them) who I've battled with often, but as I confided, sometimes I wonder where he gets all the good data, and even worse, great arguments!! With folks like him, on certain days it can feel like you've entered the ring with a fighter who was at the top of their game!!

But in saying this, even in fun, we could all probably do better if we listened more and realized that some points from others are really solid!

Finally, it's old news, but some of my early "confrontations" here turned into good relations ever since. So whenever you go to battle, as we say, do not be surprised to end up with a new pal.

Comment

To be sure, I would not normally defend any QB this much. But the bashing and piling on does not sit well. As I told folks, it took me a minute to find at least 2 Brady "attempts", and lets be clear, they were pretty weak. I showed a Romo gif, where it looks like he hurt himself as he tried to get out of the way. I also showed Cam Newton bounce away from a fumble, against a certain SB Champion team. Remember? SB 50. That was for me one of the worst efforts in history, given the significance of the game, when it occurred, and how close he was to recovering. The SB was on the line!

You know what, Dude (?), just keep being positive. I have a pretty deep admiration for it. I tend to keep my mouth shut when things are going well. Call it a superstition (kinda like not talking to a pitcher during a no-hitter), so a positive voice is a refreshing change of pace... And, BTW, you're not wrong. the reaction to the non-tackle is a little ridiculous. I'm never going to say he should be a starter in this league, and, yes, he should have attempted a tackle. But, overall, anybody who is honest knows that game was over, and an attempt would have been pure theater. That said, we should be evaluating Lock from here on out.
                      Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncojuan View Post

You know what, Dude (?), just keep being positive. I have a pretty deep admiration for it. I tend to keep my mouth shut when things are going well. Call it a superstition (kinda like not talking to a pitcher during a no-hitter), so a positive voice is a refreshing change of pace... And, BTW, you're not wrong. the reaction to the non-tackle is a little ridiculous. I'm never going to say he should be a starter in this league, and, yes, he should have attempted a tackle. But, overall, anybody who is honest knows that game was over, and an attempt would have been pure theater. That said, we should be evaluating Lock from here on out.
                        No, that play happened at the end of the 3rd qtr. If Teddy would have helped tackle it gives the defense a chance to make a stop. It was only 20-13 at that point with the entire 4th qtr to play. Hold to a FG or get a turnover. Even with a FG you have a better chance to tie the game being down 23-13.

Quarterbacks have to lead and Bridgewater failed big on that play. Once again, saying the game was over at that point provides cover for Teddy. The entire 4th qtr was left. But once he threw in the towel on that non-tackle his lack of action told the rest of the team to quit.

Comment

• “The game was over at that point”

Teams losing at the end of the 3rd qtr should forfeit and walk off the field.

Literally that’s the take.

Comment

Fans being vehement he made the wrong decision?

No, it was the wrong decision.
                            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by broncojuan View Post

Thanks mate! A refreshing post on this fine USA Thanksgiving!!

Have a good one and don't ever let the "noise" here, or anywhere, bother you. Some will do their best to try to make us not feel as happy, but it doesn't work. Happy wins! Positivity works!

Comment

• OK....because it's a big day in The USA, I had to throw in this Broncos memory. One that depicts a great day in our history, and shows what a real lack of effort by a QB means. One with HUGE consequences!

Click image for larger version  Name:	cam-newton-fumble-gif.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	8385701

This is where the term critical thinking comes into play....the big picture. Being able to differentiate levels of significance.

Last edited by CanDB; 11-25-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X