Teddy - He can't tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

That’s the thing about Bridgewater - the defense has shut down the opponent nearly completely. Take the pick six out and the Broncos offense had 21 points. Herbert threw another pick in the end zone and they missed a FG. We’re looking at a 24-21 loss without those INTs by Surtain and the missed FG. It’s good to have a great defensive game however look at the loss to Philly - if another team’s offense gets going the game is out of reach because Bridgewater’s production is limited.

Not to mention he’l seems fragile.

Yeah....he was a bit gimpy after a defender had a free pass to hit him from behind, at pretty much full speed. Lets add fragile to the list of cons.....which keeps growing around here.

Many analysts are saluting him today, but not some of you folks. Never going to happen is it?

So I will ask, is Stafford also a bad QB? Did you read the stat, only one of 11 QBs since 1950 to throw a pick-6 in the 3 straight games....in this case 3 straight losses. And Lamar must be a bad QB, because he threw 3 in one quarter last night, and a 4th. But in his case, he has a good team to save his butt, and Cleveland does not exactly "rock". But I suppose he gets a pass too, because they did not lose? I mean. lets not forget to blame TB for every loss while we're at it.
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-29-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Yeah....he was a bit gimpy after a defender had a free pass to hit him from behind, at pretty much full speed. Lets add fragile to the list of cons.....which keeps growing around here.

Many analysts are saluting him today, but not some of you folks. Never going to happen is it?

So I will ask, is Stafford also a bad QB? Did you read the stat, only one of 11 QBs since 1950 to throw a pick-6 in the 3 straight games....in this case 3 straight losses. And Lamar must be a bad QB, because he threw 3 in one quarter last night, and a 4th. But in his case, he has a good team to save his butt, and Cleveland does not exactly "rock". But I suppose he gets a pass too, because they did not lose? I mean. lets not forget to blame TB for every loss while we're at it.
      Lamar went up another level based on his post game comments - flat out owned his mistakes. He described what he said to his teammates as he hit his chest and told them “It’s on me”.

The difference with Lamar is that he didn’t quit on his team in the game like Teddy when he took a pass against Slay. Lamar kept fighting and owned his mistakes. No need to come back to say the “right things” like Teddy.

Comment

Lamar went up another level based on his post game comments - flat out owned his mistakes. He described what he said to his teammates as he hit his chest and told them “It’s on me”.

The difference with Lamar is that he didn’t quit on his team in the game like Teddy when he took a pass against Slay. Lamar kept fighting and owned his mistakes. No need to come back to say the “right things” like Teddy.
        Furthermore, Lamar won that game despite four INTs. If Bridgewater lined up 100 times in that situation with that pass rush he couldn’t make the play Lamar did to score the winning TD.

Comment

Thought we changed the subject a little, as in bad picks. No comment on Stafford's performance by the way? But we seem to always circle back.

10 years from now....

"boy, that Bridgewater sure messed up on that tackle...."

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

This whole "bad interception" argument is so weak. Very few interceptions are anything but bad. Hail Mary's. Receiver messes up. Defensive player makes incredible play. But somehow Teddy's are bad. I would suggest folks watch every interception thrown this season, and in past seasons if you are bored, and tell me you did not see a bunch of bad passes by QBs not named Bridgewater.

Holy cow, Lamar threw 4 yesterday, but luckily for him, his team bailed him out. It happens. But to try to articulate that a player who throws few pics, throws bad pics, is quite the leap.

Plus the fact that turnovers are often given a cost to a team, in an average points measurement. It's not a perfect science, but it does suggest that interceptions and fumbles lost have a way of biting you in the butt. So the more you throw, the more likely they cost you.
            Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Though my previous post will likely be ignored by some, I will repeat, as it sheds some perspective (in my support for you and others here who see it the same)

Stafford has thrown a pick-6 in each of his last 3 games.....ALL LOSSES. Those losses took them from 7 and 1 to 7 and 4. I would suggest those picks had real consequences.

Given what they did/paid to acquire him, I would also suggest those picks are worse than any group of TB's this season.

Word of advice LT, stats that support Bridgewater are not welcome here.
            Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Thought we changed the subject a little, as in bad picks. No comment on Stafford's performance by the way? But we seem to always circle back.

10 years from now....

"boy, that Bridgewater sure messed up on that tackle...."
            The Stafford bad picks argument is fine.

Comment

• What is our goal for the Broncos? Mine is to win playoff games.

Teddy been in the NFL since 2014. Started 61 games. Been to playoffs once and lost. He did have 70% completion on 146 yards so obviously he is a good QB at 70% completion even tho he failed to crack 150 yards or win the playoff game right?

Teddy can win when the running game and defense carries him. He can win when the opposing team does not play their best game. When he is needed to play NFL level QB to beat an opposing team playing their A or B game he consistently fails. Just as consistent as he is at getting high completion percentage and losing.

75% of his 16 losses the last two years Teddy has gotten to 60% completion or better. 7 of those loses he got to 69% completion or better. One loss he got to 82%. We can take away the game he got knocked out but that is actually one of the few games he did not manage to get to 50% and right now it is helping him in this comparison.

I get how some people can hang their hat on high completion percentage and maybe meaning something but in Teddy's case it does not translate to football wins.

Winning is what this is all about. Winning regular season games and eventually winning playoff games.

If people are happy with completion percentage as their end goal I guess they happy with Teddy,
              Lets Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                What is our goal for the Broncos? Mine is to win playoff games.

Teddy been in the NFL since 2014. Started 61 games. Been to playoffs once and lost. He did have 70% completion on 146 yards so obviously he is a good QB at 70% completion even tho he failed to crack 150 yards or win the playoff game right?

Teddy can win when the running game and defense carries him. He can win when the opposing team does not play their best game. When he is needed to play NFL level QB to beat an opposing team playing their A or B game he consistently fails. Just as consistent as he is at getting high completion percentage and losing.

75% of his 16 losses the last two years Teddy has gotten to 60% completion or better. 7 of those loses he got to 69% completion or better. One loss he got to 82%. We can take away the game he got knocked out but that is actually one of the few games he did not manage to get to 50% and right now it is helping him in this comparison.

I get how some people can hang their hat on high completion percentage and maybe meaning something but in Teddy's case it does not translate to football wins.

Winning is what this is all about. Winning regular season games and eventually winning playoff games.

If people are happy with completion percentage as their end goal I guess they happy with Teddy,
                Perfect example of this was the Chargers game. It took the defense shutting LA down, pick six, missed FG and another INT in the end zone to scratch out a win. It took Herbert having his worst day along with Gordon/Williams combining for ~150 yards. Happy for the win. To your points the issue with Teddy, besides total lack of leadership on the failed tackle, is that he hasn’t shown he’s good enough to help the Broncos if the rest of the team isn’t perfect.

Comment

Is anyone saying he's the future though? He is the best QB on the team as of now....no doubt. I think everyone wants the Broncos to upgrade in the off season. But right now, he's who we got under center.

Comment

My goal for the Broncos from year to year. If we're in playoff mode (e.g. made playoffs previous year or years) then I want playoff wins and as many as possible. If we missed the playoffs the previous year, I want to get back to the playoffs. If we had a losing season, I want at least a winning season, but would be even happier with playoffs.

Yes, Teddy's had one playoff appearance, and it was a loss. It's worth noting he was a second year player that year and they got 11 wins. That's not too horrible.

61 games is less than 4 years starting. It's probably enough to say we've seen enough of Teddy to have a pretty good read on his ability as a QB, but I would argue it's a bit too little to assume that since he's 0-1 in the playoffs, he's incapable of winning a playoff game.

I don't think anyone is saying that Teddy is great because of his completion percentage. In fact, I don't think anyone is even arguing that Teddy is great.

Those of us who are defending Teddy to an extent are arguing against the idea that he's horrible.

Teddy is a middle of the pack NFL QB. Not great, not horrible. He's not going to drag the team on his back like Peyton Manning, but there's few QBs that actually do that.

Teddy's completion %, combined with every other aspect of his play, and the play of those around him, has led this team to 6 wins. There's 11 teams that have done better thus far this year. So... yes. It does translate to football wins.

Does that mean he's perfect? No.

Does that mean he's done it alone? No.

Is anyone saying these things about him? No.

What some of us are saying, is that the Teddy is horrible narrative is just... misleading at best.

14 QBs will make the playoffs this year.

Generally speaking, I would say the top 5-10 QBs in the league at any time are in the really good to great range.

The QBs in the 10-20 range are in the average to pretty good range.

Teddy has a few stats that put him in the top 10, but for the most part he's in the 10-20 range. He's an average QB.

I'm not asking anyone to like him, or be ok with him being our QB even. You can hate him and wish he'd never come here... that's fine.

I just get tired of hearing he's horrible. He's not horrible. He's decent, and sometimes pretty good. His worst stat right now is his sacks, and despite the fact that he's having a pretty decent season, it seems likely that he'd be having an even better one if our OL was in better shape. Not to mention the other injuries to our team, given that we lead the league in Salary cap on IR.

Heck, now that I think about it, we started winning again when we got Jeudy back. Imagine if we hadn't lost him and Hamler... maybe we get a few more wins and are in a wildcard slot right now.

Anyway... to summarize... I don't think anyone is arguing Teddy is a top-10 QB. It would just be nice to be able to have real conversations about our team without it always being about how horrible Teddy is, when he is actually pretty decent, and a part of the reason we're in the playoff hunt. I think most fans absolutely want to find a guy who is a top-10 guy, long term.

That's not going to happen in the coming weeks. But you know what could? We could make the playoffs for the first time in a minute. We're actually playing meaningful games in December, and some of us are happy for it. In part, that's despite Teddy's play. In part, it's also because of Teddy's play.

Comment

My very first goal for The Broncos:

1) Beat KC - huge implications!
                      2) I could mention each game afterward but that would be overly detailed goal setting. But the goal I will list is the same for every team each year...

MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. The preferred goal is to win the division, for more than one reason.

3) Win playoff games, one by one.

So I prefer "making the playoffs" as a solid goal before your goal of winning playoff games. For me that's the next step. Because I believe "making the playoffs" is a worthy achievement, and a stepping stone to what comes after. No playoffs, no win playoff games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Is anyone saying he's the future though? He is the best QB on the team as of now....no doubt. I think everyone wants the Broncos to upgrade in the off season. But right now, he's who we got under center.
                        This post pretty much sums it up, the FO seems to be making the right moves and as we set right now, we control our destiny for a change. If the Oline can keep Teddy clean, we are going to make noise in December.

The old "Defense wins Championships" approach worked the last time so...

Side note: Go watch Russel Wilson in last night's game, makes Teddy look pretty good.

[sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

My goal for the Broncos from year to year. If we're in playoff mode (e.g. made playoffs previous year or years) then I want playoff wins and as many as possible. If we missed the playoffs the previous year, I want to get back to the playoffs. If we had a losing season, I want at least a winning season, but would be even happier with playoffs.

Yes, Teddy's had one playoff appearance, and it was a loss. It's worth noting he was a second year player that year and they got 11 wins. That's not too horrible.

61 games is less than 4 years starting. It's probably enough to say we've seen enough of Teddy to have a pretty good read on his ability as a QB, but I would argue it's a bit too little to assume that since he's 0-1 in the playoffs, he's incapable of winning a playoff game.

I don't think anyone is saying that Teddy is great because of his completion percentage. In fact, I don't think anyone is even arguing that Teddy is great.

Those of us who are defending Teddy to an extent are arguing against the idea that he's horrible.

Teddy is a middle of the pack NFL QB. Not great, not horrible. He's not going to drag the team on his back like Peyton Manning, but there's few QBs that actually do that.

Teddy's completion %, combined with every other aspect of his play, and the play of those around him, has led this team to 6 wins. There's 11 teams that have done better thus far this year. So... yes. It does translate to football wins.

What some of us are saying, is that the Teddy is horrible narrative is just... misleading at best.

Generally speaking, I would say the top 5-10 QBs in the league at any time are in the really good to great range.

Teddy has a few stats that put him in the top 10, but for the most part he's in the 10-20 range. He's an average QB.

I'm not asking anyone to like him, or be ok with him being our QB even. You can hate him and wish he'd never come here... that's fine.

I just get tired of hearing he's horrible. He's not horrible. He's decent, and sometimes pretty good. His worst stat right now is his sacks, and despite the fact that he's having a pretty decent season, it seems likely that he'd be having an even better one if our OL was in better shape. Not to mention the other injuries to our team, given that we lead the league in Salary cap on IR.

Heck, now that I think about it, we started winning again when we got Jeudy back. Imagine if we hadn't lost him and Hamler... maybe we get a few more wins and are in a wildcard slot right now.

Anyway... to summarize... I don't think anyone is arguing Teddy is a top-10 QB. It would just be nice to be able to have real conversations about our team without it always being about how horrible Teddy is, when he is actually pretty decent, and a part of the reason we're in the playoff hunt. I think most fans absolutely want to find a guy who is a top-10 guy, long term.

That's not going to happen in the coming weeks. But you know what could? We could make the playoffs for the first time in a minute. We're actually playing meaningful games in December, and some of us are happy for it. In part, that's despite Teddy's play. In part, it's also because of Teddy's play.
                          Nice post. We can complain all we want about Teddy, but he's the best QB we've got right now. Nobody is making the argument he is elite, but some are certainly acting like he's one of the worst QBs in the league (ala Lock 2020).

If we can upgrade in the offseason I think most of us would be down with that. There's always the "lunatic fringe" (good song btw) out there that wont like anything the Broncos do, but most fans are reasonable and have common sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

I personally would rather see Rypien. Teddy's ceiling is pretty much known and it is low.. I do think it is clear we will win more with Teddy than Lock.
                            Lets Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

His worst staf is his time to throw. 4 qbs with over 220 attempts slower then he is. Teddy real close to slowest in the NFL.

not being able to make quick decisions is going to kill this young offense and we should expect more from from a vet since 2014.

hard for a young ol and struggling passing game to get past that
                              Lets Ride!

Comment

Lets get just a relatively resonable evaluation of Teddy!
                                For the past 5 seasons we have lived with QBs that could not deliver wins even when defense and running game played well. We have lived with atrocious QB play under VJ and Fangio, except some ray of light during Keenums year where we had a few good weeks, a couple of good weeks with Siemian, a couple of good weeks with Lock in 2019 but aside from that Teddy is the only QB that has been able to not loose the games and to develop the receivers....
                                Teddy might be a Brian Griese kind of QB, but that is "elite" compared to anything we have seen from the Broncos for a while, and it is pretty unusual during Elway's later tenure to experience winning oiver good teams.
                                People keep talking about how angry that they are that we don't have Justin Fields throwing INTs and loosing games, and though no one really wanted Mac Jones the 20:20 hindsight experts are here now.
                                We are in the best situation we have been in since 2016 so the hate for Teddy is bizarre. No one missed Brian Griese when he was replaced by Jake Plummer, and few will miss Teddy if someone better comes along, but right now he deserves our support and hope for slaying dragons!

Comment

Working...
                                X