Not The Thread For Everyone....BUT The Season Is Not Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not The Thread For Everyone....BUT The Season Is Not Over

After 10 games, The Broncos are 1 win behind the division leader, and 1 win behind the leader of the wild card race. Not a great season so far, but certainly not out of postseason play by any means.

I see at least several tiers of AFC teams thus far - the contenders, the middle of the pack and those who are basically in the draft pick race. Middle of pack is a large group, Thus far, there are only 5 teams with more victories, along with 6 teams with 5 victories (like us). There are 7 playoff teams. Yes, there is a bit of a traffic jam in the middle, but we are at worst "in the hunt".

One could argue that we are not playoff worthy....but are the others in that pack so deserving?? I don't see too much in the way of "sure things' in that group. And I see upper tier teams playing lacklustre ball at times.

Listen, we know we have some concerns. But that team I saw last week, against Dallas, looked as good as almost any team. One can really lean into our "deficiencies" but one could also argue that if the team can get it going at the right time, it is deserving as any in the middle pack.

I am not advocating to wear the pretty coloured glasses or to drink the juice....because I am not one of those myself. But 7 games left, and I am not giving up on the chances.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    After 10 games, The Broncos are 1 win behind the division leader, and 1 win behind the leader of the wild card race. Not a great season so far, but certainly not out of postseason play by any means.

I see at least several tiers of AFC teams thus far - the contenders, the middle of the pack and those who are basically in the draft pick race. Middle of pack is a large group, Thus far, there are only 5 teams with more victories, along with 6 teams with 5 victories (like us). There are 7 playoff teams. Yes, there is a bit of a traffic jam in the middle, but we are at worst "in the hunt".

One could argue that we are not playoff worthy....but are the others in that pack so deserving?? I don't see too much in the way of "sure things' in that group. And I see upper tier teams playing lacklustre ball at times.

Listen, we know we have some concerns. But that team I saw last week, against Dallas, looked as good as almost any team. One can really lean into our "deficiencies" but one could also argue that if the team can get it going at the right time, it is deserving as any in the middle pack.

I am not advocating to wear the pretty coloured glasses or to drink the juice....because I am not one of those myself. But 7 games left, and I am not giving up on the chances.
    Don't come with positive threads when everyone here are occupied attracting fans to the Broncos/Bridgewater Doomsday Cult

Comment

Chiefs twice
      Chargers twice
      Raiders (who already embarrassed us)

All 3 beat the Eagles who just punked us yesterday.

Bengals
      Lions.

I see one more win against Detroit.

Sorry but there is no chance we win more than 6 games..unless we play a game where our opponent rests their starters. But given how close the division is, I doubt it happens.

Comment

I appreciate you trying to salvage some type of optimism for the rest of the season. Keep up the hard work!

I guess it depends on your expectations. Looking for some type of positive improvement? Or thinking potential playoff spot?

I am all for a few bright spots each week to carry through another losing season. I’ll be watching for them.

But any thoughts of playoffs should be gone. I have seen nothing that inspires me to believe they are capable of stringing together the 5-6 wins needed to earn a spot. Biggest issue I see is they have already lost to a couple teams that they are in contention with. Those tie breakers are a huge issue.

But I will be watching every week and looking for those wins. I sincerely hope they surprise me!

Comment

This team is just weird, one week they look like they couldn't beat the Texans at home, then the next week they beat the Cowboys on the road. No consistency, and no way to know what to expect from them in any week.

I think they'll mostly quit on Fangio and the season, go 2-5 down the stretch, losing to Detroit at home then beating the Chargers and Raiders on the road to finish 7-10. At least, that's what my crystal ball is telling me at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
            I appreciate you trying to salvage some type of optimism for the rest of the season. Keep up the hard work!

I guess it depends on your expectations. Looking for some type of positive improvement? Or thinking potential playoff spot?

I am all for a few bright spots each week to carry through another losing season. I’ll be watching for them.

But any thoughts of playoffs should be gone. I have seen nothing that inspires me to believe they are capable of stringing together the 5-6 wins needed to earn a spot. Biggest issue I see is they have already lost to a couple teams that they are in contention with. Those tie breakers are a huge issue.

But I will be watching every week and looking for those wins. I sincerely hope they surprise me!
            Fair enough. Believe me, it is easy to play this out as a "super guy", but I am not here pretending I am elated about our last 5 years or so. For almost every negative point by others, I have similar thoughts now and again. But not always, and not to the extent that some take this. The negativity may be warranted from time to time, but it can get old.

But just from a mathematical perspective, The Broncos are in the playoff hunt. Ten games is a fair sample. Yes, divisional games will not be easy, but I am not convinced this division is that good these days. And the conference has many so so teams. Ultimately injuries may be the truest of influencers. Lots of talent lost this year, across the league.

So though I would love us to be better, and I'd love to see what the offseason brings, I'd be lying if I thought any 5 and 5 team is out of the playoffs.

But one more thing....in spite of the folks that some want to chastise every week, where are the threads about players/others deserving of some praise? I think we can do better as a group in that regard. Any 5 and 5 team has folks who are doing a good job.
            Last edited by CanDB; 11-15-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

It is true the Broncos are .500 and still technically in the playoff hunt.

As always, I’m willing to see what happens.

My expectations were never too high and they still aren’t.

There’s always a chance for a Hollywood story, but I just don’t see it happening for this team. There’s just too much writing on the wall IMO.
              sigpic

Comment

This team is not on the level to be competing this year. We aren’t going anywhere until Shurmur is gone and probably Fangio as well. We have plenty of talent, as evidenced against the Cowboys, but so far the coaching just hasn’t been able to mesh it all together. This year isn’t about the playoffs anymore. That’s a pipe dream.
                Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

[QUOTE=Megalodon30;n8384474]This team is not on the level to be competing this year. We aren’t going anywhere until Shurmur is gone and probably Fangio as well. We have plenty of talent, as evidenced against the Cowboys, but so far the coaching just hasn’t been able to mesh it all together. This year isn’t about the playoffs anymore. That’s a pipe dream.[/QUOTE]

But very mathematically possible. Unless of course you believe so strongly in those other teams in the pack. And if you don't, I would not give them a pass.

Comment

If you're just looking at the won/loss record, they have a chance to win the division, but if you look at the inconsistency and lack of leadership you can clearly see the season is over for the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by Narco View Post
                      If you're just looking at the won/loss record, they have a chance to win the division, but if you look at the inconsistency and lack of leadership you can clearly see the season is over for the Broncos.
                      Exactly! I could see this team beat KC and then lose to Detroit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Seriously ? Denver can compete with KC and LAC even LV has a better QB.

Yesterdays game exposed the lack of urgency and commitment to win. Many did not have their hearts in it. does anyone here think Teddy can helicopter into the end zone for the Win ?

I understand injuries are the big Unknown, just as one can blame Luck/ bad luck, Ref;s and bad calls. BUT other teams seem to overcome this.

2 weeks to prepare for the next Home game, divisional Chargers come to town. Hopefully they elect not to vacation, rest and practice should be on the agenda.
                        Let's not embarrass ourselves again.

This team is very young and all we can hope for is this being a good Life Lesson here.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

This team has the talent to compete with anyone.

IMO, that level of talent does not extend to the coaching staff.

If we had a good staff, I would be all aboard with the optimism. Our skill players are, as a group, among the best units in the league. Defensively we have quality players on every level, except maybe linebacker due in large part to injuries.

Our special teams are truly bad though, and have been for years. How McMahon has kept his job is a complete mystery. I prefer to shut the sound off on the tv, and listen to Logan on the radio. It has been noted...repeatedly...the teams *want* us to try and return the ball. Now, why do you think teams would actuallly prefer an attempt to return a kickoff, instead of a touchback? Seriously, we are *that* bad on special teams.

QB.....we have issues. No secret. Teddy's no effort performance this last week just highlights that. Folks say they get that his "attempt" to make that tackle looks bad .....well, it doesnt just look bad. IT WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE. Teddy's play this year has been good at times, mediocre much of the time...and really bad at times. Far too little of the former, and far too much of the other two. In short...his positive production isnt near good enough to make up for all the "almost" plays he makes. Lock.....well, he is so incredibly inconsistent, that it makes Teddy the better choice. Our qb room is among the worst in the league IMO.

To sum, IMO, the coaching staff, the qb play, and the performance (if you want to call it that) of the special teams is nowhere...NOWHERE...near playoff capable. I truly think this coaching staff holds us back.

Many of us, are negative, because the team's performance has not been exactly glowingly positive. Despite having a good solid core group of players, on both sides of the ball.

And it all starts at the top. Or in our case, lack of, due to the ownership situation.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

This team has the talent to compete with anyone.

IMO, that level of talent does not extend to the coaching staff.

If we had a good staff, I would be all aboard with the optimism. Our skill players are, as a group, among the best units in the league. Defensively we have quality players on every level, except maybe linebacker due in large part to injuries.

Our special teams are truly bad though, and have been for years. How McMahon has kept his job is a complete mystery. I prefer to shut the sound off on the tv, and listen to Logan on the radio. It has been noted...repeatedly...the teams *want* us to try and return the ball. Now, why do you think teams would actuallly prefer an attempt to return a kickoff, instead of a touchback? Seriously, we are *that* bad on special teams.

QB.....we have issues. No secret. Teddy's no effort performance this last week just highlights that. Folks say they get that his "attempt" to make that tackle looks bad .....well, it doesnt just look bad. IT WAS FREAKING HORRIBLE. Teddy's play this year has been good at times, mediocre much of the time...and really bad at times. Far too little of the former, and far too much of the other two. In short...his positive production isnt near good enough to make up for all the "almost" plays he makes. Lock.....well, he is so incredibly inconsistent, that it makes Teddy the better choice. Our qb room is among the worst in the league IMO.

To sum, IMO, the coaching staff, the qb play, and the performance (if you want to call it that) of the special teams is nowhere...NOWHERE...near playoff capable. I truly think this coaching staff holds us back.

Many of us, are negative, because the team's performance has not been exactly glowingly positive. Despite having a good solid core group of players, on both sides of the ball.

And it all starts at the top. Or in our case, lack of, due to the ownership situation.
                            I think that's what makes me so mad. This isn't a bad team. Not by a long shot. We miss the fine tuning that comes from accountability, i.e. as you said, having an owner.

Comment

We have been a bad team for quite a while. Looks like we made the jump up to mediocre. We definitely have a shot at winning some more games this year to keep the mediocrity going.
                              Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X