Not The Thread For Everyone....BUT The Season Is Not Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GMTD View Post
    Let's face it. Our division isn't very good. So much fanfare about the AFC West in the past couple of seasons and how it was going to dominate the rest and yet what do we have?

The best team at the moment (KC) has won 6 and lost 4. Hardly inspiring. The worst has won 5 and lost 5. Not a great deal different. In fact just a single game different.

Anyone looking at the table right now and making a prediction that any one if the 4 teans in it ​​​​cannot make the playoffs is guessing. We have just as much of a chance to do so as anyone else - especially as 5 of our remaining 7 games are against others in this underwhelming division.

So as the OP said, the season is not over. In fact it's far from over.
    Yes and KC has Dallas this week. Could easily be loss #5. I would call that a 50/50 game based on what I know. Say they lose and then we come out of the bye ready. We could be 6 and 5 and they could be 6 and 6. It's not out of the question.

It ain't over. It's not going to be easy....but again, we're not Detroit, Houston, The Jets, Jags or some other down and outers.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

But just know, not that it matters, those who spread negativity are not making this place better. In time it can dilute the interesting dialogue, and anything good that would normally be discussed. We are missing out on good posters, who have had enough of the noise, and prefer to either sit back or go elsewhere, to talk about interesting topics. We lose that aspect on this board.
      I took a sabbattical from these boards for an extended time just for that reason. I get the negativity, even agree with some of it. But the constant, non stop over the top negativity gets old.
      sigpic

Comment

I had the Broncos at 9-8 with a 2 game swing. Looks like the swing to the downside with 7-10 as the best case.

Fangio pushed back on making changes - sticking with Teddy, leaving Gordon as the starter, and refuses to fire Shurmur or McMahon. He talks about making coaching improvements but nothing improves.

Fangio is an embarrassment to the franchise. Hopefully he’s gone by end of season. I wouldn’t mind another blowout loss at home in hopes he can be fired sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Good to chat pal. Like your views on the season, and I really don't think it's a stretch.

I am a bit more positive about Paton than you. And in honesty, I do not know enough quite yet. But I can imagine it being difficult to come here and shake it up overnight. That's why his next offseason will define him much better for me. He did well in the draft, though I was not into a CB that early. But a thumbs up for Surtain and Williams, and that's only 2 of the possible talents to rise in the future.

I was not enthralled by acquiring TB, given I wanted a better option, but I did think the CBs would be more productive. I think many of us did. The weird thing about Lindsay was how many folks here were good to see him go. Seemed like yesterday that folks loved him on this board.

As for TB, tune in next season. I doubt Paton keeps him, and if he does, he's the backup. Believe me, if Paton likes him that much, then both you and I won't be impressed.
          Yeah, I'm a positive guy and I enjoy chatting with others who aren't negative all the time. If there is an issue, I'll point it out and discuss it (see my thoughts on Paton and Bridgewater). I'll be honest in my assessment but I also look for progress in the team and I like to call out guys who are playing well. I love this team and if there is anything to be positive about, I'll find it and talk about it. I legitimately want every single player and coach on our team to succeed. I'm not a Bridgewater fan by any means but I desperately WANT him to succeed. I want our coaches to succeed. If all those guys succeed, it means we're winning games. I'd rather win games than have my personal opinions validated when the team loses. I'm dying to be wrong about Bridgewater but I'm not. His history is well-documented and there is a reason that 4 other teams decided not to keep him. There are alot of positive things happening with this team and I love to talk about those things. There are alot of players stepping up and contributing more than I thought they would. Other players are becoming team leaders and playing consistently well. This team will very soon be one of the league's best teams. Our biggest needs are getting a QB, some more help in coverage, and another run-stopper. This team can still make this a very successful season and every opportunity is still in front of them. I'm excited for the last 7 games!
          Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

Comment

A lot of the negativity stems from the fact that the Broncos traded for Teddy Bridgewater and gave him the starting job. The competition between him and Lock was lip service. As soon as Teddy was acquired it was obvious he was going to be the starter. Paton knew him from his days in Minnesota and Fangio is trying to save his job.

A lot of us figured it would likely be another down year but their was hope that there was still an outside chance Drew could have improved and maybe be a good quarterback. We all knew what Teddy was and knew that he wasn't a long term solution. And passing on a potential quarterback prospect in Fields (and Jones for some) just made the frustrations worse.

If the Broncos had just given Lock this year, even without bringing in another quarterback via trade, free agency or draft, and tried to see if Lock had any chance at being a good quarterback, I don't think the negativity would have been as much as it is.

I admit that I've been more negative this year. And it's because of the reason I stated. Admittedly, I was never a believer in Lock but I felt he should have had this year to prove himself if we weren't going to draft a quarterback or bring in a quarterback who was a clear upgrade. But when we acquired Teddy and he was named the starter, the optimism for a possibility that Drew could be something went out the window.

And given that the Broncos aren't making a switch at QB given Teddy's struggles, to either give Lock an opportunity or just to shake things up and maybe create a spark, is just making the effects of another lackluster season more frustrating. I don't think it's unreasonable to say we've seen enough of Teddy to say he won't get the job done. Not saying Lock will for sure, but, it's worth trying.

And Teddy's lack of attempt at tackling Slay on the fumble was pretty much the last straw for many of us.

Throw in bad play calling and the fact McMahon is still our special teams coach and that's just more gas on the fire.

I can assure you that none of us want to be down on this team. I was actually very happy watching the game at Dallas. I thought for a moment that we finally figured it out.
            Last edited by sra84; 11-18-2021, 02:10 AM.

Comment

For me, an absolute pre-requisite in any game is to bring it... Maximum effort, every game, ever quarter, every down.

If skill levels, play calling and general game management are not up to scratch, then so be it.. just keep working to improve.

It's completely unacceptable to give up on any play,

Maximum effort = Maximum support.
              Galaxy Quest.

My 5 cents.

Go broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

I can assure you that none of us want to be down on this team. I was actually very happy watching the game at Dallas. I thought for a moment that we finally figured it out.
                I honestly think that its true that in the long term, almost no Broncos fans want to see us fail.

However, on a week to week basis, or for the current season, there are a decent to large number of posters that would like to see the Broncos fail because either they would rather be right than have the team win, or because they would rather get a top draft pick.

Both of these motivations are very off-putting.

This isn't true of all negative posters, but I would say probably for a majority at this point. I don't put you in with that group, and I appreciate the conversations I've had with you and a few others that I disagree with this year.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                  A lot of the negativity stems from the fact that the Broncos traded for Teddy Bridgewater and gave him the starting job. The competition between him and Lock was lip service. As soon as Teddy was acquired it was obvious he was going to be the starter. Paton knew him from his days in Minnesota and Fangio is trying to save his job.

A lot of us figured it would likely be another down year but their was hope that there was still an outside chance Drew could have improved and maybe be a good quarterback. We all knew what Teddy was and knew that he wasn't a long term solution. And passing on a potential quarterback prospect in Fields (and Jones for some) just made the frustrations worse.

If the Broncos had just given Lock this year, even without bringing in another quarterback via trade, free agency or draft, and tried to see if Lock had any chance at being a good quarterback, I don't think the negativity would have been as much as it is.

I admit that I've been more negative this year. And it's because of the reason I stated. Admittedly, I was never a believer in Lock but I felt he should have had this year to prove himself if we weren't going to draft a quarterback or bring in a quarterback who was a clear upgrade. But when we acquired Teddy and he was named the starter, the optimism for a possibility that Drew could be something went out the window.

And given that the Broncos aren't making a switch at QB given Teddy's struggles, to either give Lock an opportunity or just to shake things up and maybe create a spark, is just making the effects of another lackluster season more frustrating. I don't think it's unreasonable to say we've seen enough of Teddy to say he won't get the job done. Not saying Lock will for sure, but, it's worth trying.

And Teddy's lack of attempt at tackling Slay on the fumble was pretty much the last straw for many of us.

Throw in bad play calling and the fact McMahon is still our special teams coach and that's just more gas on the fire.

This is exactly where I am coming from as well. I never wanted Teddy as the Starter and we all know that Drew beat out Teddy is the Preseason and Drew should of been giving the chance to start over Teddy as Teddy is just a mere Back Up QB. However the coaches refuse to make any changes so I am just going to finish and watch the rest of what started out to be hopeful and now is just dreadful knowing that no changes will be made until after this Season is over and trust me it is already over they just do not know it yet. That Dallas game gave us false hope just how good this team could be and that Philly game at Home just showed us just how bad this team is. I want all of the everybody in the Denver Organization to get back to winning ways or at least be competitive and try something I am just not seeing this year. So you can lump me in the negative crowd however I am not cheering for a better draft pick and I am not cheering this team to ever lose and the losses hurt me 2 and I am no way grandstanding to just prove I am right I just wish this team would pull it together however with this disfunction starting at the Top I just do not see it this Year.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

This is exactly where I am coming from as well. I never wanted Teddy as the Starter and we all know that Drew beat out Teddy is the Preseason and Drew should of been giving the chance to start over Teddy as Teddy is just a mere Back Up QB. However the coaches refuse to make any changes so I am just going to finish and watch the rest of what started out to be hopeful and now is just dreadful knowing that no changes will be made until after this Season is over and trust me it is already over they just do not know it yet. That Dallas game gave us false hope just how good this team could be and that Philly game at Home just showed us just how bad this team is. I want all of the everybody in the Denver Organization to get back to winning ways or at least be competitive and try something I am just not seeing this year. So you can lump me in the negative crowd however I am not cheering for a better draft pick and I am not cheering this team to ever lose and the losses hurt me 2 and I am no way grandstanding to just prove I am right I just wish this team would pull it together however with this disfunction starting at the Top I just do not see it this Year.
                    Very well written. Thank you for your honesty and insight.

Comment

I feel like complaining about OUR teams inability to consistently win games in this 2021 season is, a peak into insanity. The whole league is playing the same crazy up and down football. Regardless of which broncos any fan wants to see, or thinks can change the outcomes of the game, the whole league is an inconsistent mess in line with the current state of the Denver broncos.

We have 1 less win than all but 1 AFC division leader including ours.... the broncos beat the cowboys handily, then lose to the eagles like chumps both after barely beating the skins.

The Bucs just got beat by 10 points by the Skins, the Jags beat the Bills 2 weeks ago, the Jets beat the titans and the Bengals, the Dolphins just beat down the Ravens, the giants beat the Raiders and embarrassed the Panthers.

Its just too crazy a year to really get upset especially when we have equaled the win total from last season and are 1.5 games out of the division lead. Last season, this team was 3-7 right now while the division leader was 8-1.

its amazing that in week 11 the broncos actually control their own destiny. Don't get me wrong, we'll only win 8-9 games probably but if something clicked or we got hella lucky, we could win the division and a WC birth could be had at 9-8. Just being relevant to the playoff picture is nice and an improvement from the past 4 seasons.

"Any given Sunday" means more this season than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

I honestly think that its true that in the long term, almost no Broncos fans want to see us fail.

However, on a week to week basis, or for the current season, there are a decent to large number of posters that would like to see the Broncos fail because either they would rather be right than have the team win, or because they would rather get a top draft pick.

Both of these motivations are very off-putting.

This isn't true of all negative posters, but I would say probably for a majority at this point. I don't put you in with that group, and I appreciate the conversations I've had with you and a few others that I disagree with this year.
                        Thanks.

I admit I get frustrated and post out of anger and annoyance sometimes and can get a little carried away. Definitely in regards to the coaches and the quarterbacks. I even admit I have been very critical of Surtain for giving up the touchdown to Smith. Perhaps too critical. For me, it's just years of frustration with the way things have gone with this team and it kinda all came to a boiling point.

I'm trying to work on it.....

Last edited by sra84; 11-18-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post
                          I feel like complaining about OUR teams inability to consistently win games in this 2021 season is, a peak into insanity. The whole league is playing the same crazy up and down football. Regardless of which broncos any fan wants to see, or thinks can change the outcomes of the game, the whole league is an inconsistent mess in line with the current state of the Denver broncos.

We have 1 less win than all but 1 AFC division leader including ours.... the broncos beat the cowboys handily, then lose to the eagles like chumps both after barely beating the skins.

The Bucs just got beat by 10 points by the Skins, the Jags beat the Bills 2 weeks ago, the Jets beat the titans and the Bengals, the Dolphins just beat down the Ravens, the giants beat the Raiders and embarrassed the Panthers.

Its just too crazy a year to really get upset especially when we have equaled the win total from last season and are 1.5 games out of the division lead. Last season, this team was 3-7 right now while the division leader was 8-1.

its amazing that in week 11 the broncos actually control their own destiny. Don't get me wrong, we'll only win 8-9 games probably but if something clicked or we got hella lucky, we could win the division and a WC birth could be had at 9-8. Just being relevant to the playoff picture is nice and an improvement from the past 4 seasons.

"Any given Sunday" means more this season than ever.

WoW A Great Post Thank You.

Comment

There are so many great posts on this thread that I can't even begin to call out all of the great comments. I, too, get frustrated watching the games because I know what this team is capable of and I know how much talent we have. I'm grateful we're still in a position to compete for the division title or a wild card spot. By week 11 the last few years, we've already started talking about next season so I appreciate that this season still matters. We're all spoiled here. This is one of the league's most successful and consistent franchises so 5-6 straight years of misery isn't something we've ever experienced and it's hard for us because of how much we love this team. But in my opinion, we need to remember that last part.....how much we love this team. I try to remember that these guys are people just like me with friends and families. I think it would be hard for me to be great at my job if I had to read every day about how much people think I suck at my job. We think because they make alot of money that they aren't bothered by that kind of thing but I think they are. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to criticize poor performance and call it out. It's fine to discuss where we can be better and how we need to improve. I just think it can get overwhelming if that's ALL people talk about. I've posted negative things about Bridgewater and Paton. I stand by my opinions but I will also say again that I desperately hope both of them succeed because it means we'll be winning games. I'd rather win than be right. I suppose if I want to see more positive conversations then I need to participate in the ones that are on this board and start new ones myself!
                            Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snowman33 View Post
                              There are so many great posts on this thread that I can't even begin to call out all of the great comments. I, too, get frustrated watching the games because I know what this team is capable of and I know how much talent we have. I'm grateful we're still in a position to compete for the division title or a wild card spot. By week 11 the last few years, we've already started talking about next season so I appreciate that this season still matters. We're all spoiled here. This is one of the league's most successful and consistent franchises so 5-6 straight years of misery isn't something we've ever experienced and it's hard for us because of how much we love this team. But in my opinion, we need to remember that last part.....how much we love this team. I try to remember that these guys are people just like me with friends and families. I think it would be hard for me to be great at my job if I had to read every day about how much people think I suck at my job. We think because they make alot of money that they aren't bothered by that kind of thing but I think they are. Don't get me wrong, it's fine to criticize poor performance and call it out. It's fine to discuss where we can be better and how we need to improve. I just think it can get overwhelming if that's ALL people talk about. I've posted negative things about Bridgewater and Paton. I stand by my opinions but I will also say again that I desperately hope both of them succeed because it means we'll be winning games. I'd rather win than be right. I suppose if I want to see more positive conversations then I need to participate in the ones that are on this board and start new ones myself!

WoW A Great Post Very Insightful And Positive !!

Comment

Originally posted by snowman33 View Post
                                Good stuff. Hey, that's all I am asking of folks. I get the disappointment and the frustration, but if we let it take over everything it becomes a bit of a monster. Whereas, if we debate the issues, even be critical at times, BUT also emphasize the positives (and there are many good stories to be told), we can at least keep this place enjoyable and maybe even optimistic.

By defending and maybe praising players, even coaches/coordinators/management, when they deserve it, it is not a crime. If it is warranted. And in my opinion, a 5 and 5 team can not be just about negatives. Not possible. 5 victories in The NFL is based on good things. It is often stated that winning in The NFL is not easy. So for me, 5 wins after 10 games has got to have good news stories. And there are. I posted the Simmons thread because we are very fortunate to have one of the very best Safeties in the game....and a great guy as well.

For several years all some folks did was bash Bolles, and could not wait for his next hold. Low and behold, amidst all the noise, Bolles becomes an All flippin Pro left tackle!!!!! Do folks know how big a deal that was?! All Pro tackles are typically well established, year after year selections. How did this "awful" LT suddenly become recognized by the league for his great play? How did so many of us miss the relatively quick transition he made. IMO, it's because so many were stirring up the pot, well beyond it needed stirring.

I can list (via new threads) a whole lot of good stories about this team/organization. And maybe I will continue to do so. I will continue to expect better of the team, and I will not accept weak performance. But as of now, I am cautiously excited about the long term. Of course it will be dependent on Paton and company to do the right things this offseason. That will be the real legacy of his administration. I am betting on him and the others to succeed. Fingers crossed of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X