Yac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yac

Hey gang, I'm trying to find reliable YAC stats, to see how good our receivers are doing once they get the ball in their hands. I wonder if it is not a small part of the reason we are not capitalizing on 3rd downs. I do think TB is throwing to receivers short of the chains, so that's part of the problem. And I wonder if our receivers are running good enough routes to ensure first down completions.

One YAC report I saw had our top guys (Patrick and Fant) tied for 55th for YAC/reception. Is that any indicator of a receiver issue? Maybe not. But it could suggest our guys are not as dynamic after catch than many other teams.

Anyway...just food for thought. I am cool if you find stats that even refute what I just posted.

The WRs, TEs and even RBs are talented enough to be contributing more.

IMO the top issue is the playcalling and ability to design creative plays to get players open in space to be able to take advantage of those skills. Rarely do you see players catching the ball at full speed and a lane to run in. Bridgewater does not catch them in stride, he throws to the point of catch and it is either broken up or receiver is tackled immediately.

The other issue is the lack of any competitive instincts and arm strength by Bridgewater. The defenses are designed to allow Bridgewater to take the check down or easy throw. Compare it to an NBA player that shoots 15% from 3pt range, press everyone else and leave that guy open.

Any of the tighter window throws are less likely to be taken by Bridgewater because he knows it is a more risky throw. Think of 3rd and long from the 20 yard line. Why not throw it over the marker or challenge in the end zone? Most QBs do. Does McManus need that extra 5 yds for a FG? It is just Bridgewater’s nature and to some extent the coaching.
    FR Tim
    All-Time Great
    Last edited by FR Tim; 11-18-2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Sometimes defenses are simply trying to take away yac. This is probably especially true on 3rd and 4th down against offenses that try to rely on yac.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl
      Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        Sometimes defenses are simply trying to take away yac. This is probably especially true on 3rd and 4th down against offenses that try to rely on yac.
        Interesting..and raises another question.. do we throw more on 3rd and 4th downs than league average? I assume yards to go also plays a factor in how soft a defense plays... someone much smarter than me will I'm sure have deconvoluted the data

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Interesting..and raises another question.. do we throw more on 3rd and 4th downs than league average? I assume yards to go also plays a factor in how soft a defense plays... someone much smarter than me will I'm sure have deconvoluted the data
          Might be a good topic to discuss further. Of course a basic factor for me is securing the first down without YAC, if on a 4th down play. Some receivers cut routes short and can be limited. In our case, and I will not defend him, TB is throwing a lot of 3rd down passes short of the yardsticks, so unless a receiver is in motion on the catch, it can be restrictive.

Comment

Working...
          X