I Am Quite OK If Lock Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Quite OK If Lock Starts

Now that some of the smoke has cleared, I think, and those of us take a partial break from actively showing support for Bridgewater.....I am quite ok if The Broncos give Lock the ball next week. Apparently no stats we show supporting TB, or wins we feel he was part of matter. They are either irrelevant stats to some, or the wins were easy to others, and he was not a key player in any of it. I still think he had an important role in it all, but whatever.

I know he is not an elite QB, but I knew that before the season started. Not a spoiler alert. Who didn't know that? I really liked him as a young QB in Minnie, and I was proud of him in New Orleans. He did get the Carolina gig for some apparent reasons.

Without exhausting the QB storyline in Denver, because it has been a huge part of the controversy, and the results, it is safe to say that a high % of us either expected a better vet starter, a rookie or Lock. At least for a portion of the season. TB was not high on our list of hopefuls.

OK, 5 and 5. I still say that rhymes with alive. I can go over those stats re: the standings and paint that same all true picture, that we are very much in the mix. No matter how many Broncos fans say different. It's reality. By the way, there are a lot of so so teams out there, which is not our fault. We are not in heavy duty contention mode by any stretch, but I'm sticking around, not to look for more reasons to be "hangry" (Snickers for everyone), but to see what happens. What if TB has a better 2nd half? What if Lock starts and does well? What if Williams steps it up and is one of the RBs that folks are raving about around the league? What if Jeudy or Sutton or any of our receivers start to really shine, no matter who is passing? What if our D gels and becomes exciting to watch, all on its own?

I don't feel bad that we are only one game behind the division leader.....who has its hands full this weekend, or that only one WC team has more than 5 wins. Are those fans all giving up? And don't say it's different, because it's not. The anomaly this year does not seem to be us middle of the packers, rather those few teams who can stay hot. I thought The Rams were contenders, but looked ordinary (at best) in their last two. Dallas was strong until we came along. Arizona is not as powerful as I expected minus Murray. The Packers are good, but not dominating. Tampa? How did Buffalo let The pats back into the picture?

Anyway....QBs have been this team's main issue since the SB, and even then fans were upset with Manning as starter. And until this organization buys into the process of finding a legit talent in that position, we will likely struggle for years to come.

And whoever is making our starter decision, they must be convinced that Lock should not start yet, for whatever reason(s). I am not sure I am close to convinced that he is the #1 guy. I liked the 2019 version of Lock, not so much the 2020 version. But if they start him, I'm cool with it. He might impress. He might not. And if he falters a little, and in reasonable terms, I will do my very best not to sound off about it every single chance I get.

Last edited by CanDB; 11-19-2021, 01:46 PM.

Again......silence. Oh wait, I am not supporting TB actively in this thread.

Comment

Hey Dave!

Stopping in to say I agree.

I've seen enough of Bridgewater (especially after his "tackle" attempt).

Lock may have regressed last year, but I'd still like to see him get another chance to fling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
        Hey Dave!

Stopping in to say I agree.

I've seen enough of Bridgewater (especially after his "tackle" attempt).

Lock may have regressed last year, but I'd still like to see him get another chance to fling it.
        Hey pal!

Give him the ball. Maybe give him some tape to keep it wrapped securely in Gordon's hands.

Comment

Lock is not the answer. He doesn't have the mental capacity to process fast enough and idoesnt feel pressure. Not questioning his superior arm, or his underated scrambling ability, but he is not starting material. The few games we won in late 2019 with Lock (the team going 4-1), were promising but a small sample set and Lock was not the reason we won those games.

.Teddy is getting worse. Seems to have lost confidence and gone into his shell. Simply put we don't have a starting quality QB on the roster.

there just isn't enough to go around... when you see Keenan, Flacco and Semian starting in relif, around the league it's self evident there's a dearth of available talent.

We have an elite backfield and wide receiving ciorp, some very talent TE's but no QB option on the roster will work behind our porous O-line.

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
            Lock is not the answer. He doesn't have the mental capacity to process fast enough and idoesnt feel pressure. Not questioning his superior arm, or his underated scrambling ability, but he is not starting material. The few games we won in late 2019 with Lock (the team going 4-1), were promising but a small sample set and Lock was not the reason we won those games.

.Teddy is getting worse. Seems to have lost confidence and gone into his shell. Simply put we don't have a starting quality QB on the roster.

there just isn't enough to go around... when you see Keenan, Flacco and Semian starting in relif, around the league it's self evident there's a dearth of available talent.

We have an elite backfield and wide receiving ciorp, some very talent TE's but no QB option on the roster will work behind our porous O-line.
            Many will agree with you, especially the Lock part.

As for QBs, I do agree as well, because it is the position this organization seems to have under valued for far too long. In fact I was going to do a quick study as we speak, about where our QBs have ranked over the last 6 or more seasons. I doubt any of them have been anywhere near the upper half. Maybe I am wrong.

Comment

So can I ask, do we have some agreement that starting Lock might be the right thing to do? Though he may not be the answer.

I said I'm cool with it, even though I have supported TB til now. I, like most folks, did not like his lack of effort on the Slay TD,. Why would I? Why would anyone? But it is not why you replace a QB, given the history of inept efforts by other QBs. But sure, you replace a QB when you believe either they can't get the job done, or you believe your next guy in line is more ready and able. So given the above, I might accept that Teddy is not getting the job done given how close we are to a playoff spot. But I do not know for sure that Lock is ready and able to make it happen.

But I actually want Broncos' management to make that call. Take on the job of making the switch. Take a bit of a risk. Find out for possibly the last time if Lock has a future as a starter, given the obvious need for us to find one this coming offseason. Because even if we do not replace Teddy this season, I think 99% of us know he is not the guy for next year. Maybe as a backup though.

Like I have mentioned though, if Drew starts and messes up here and there, I hope some of us are willing to lower our voices if in disappointment. We can critique of course. But lets not be bashing repetitively if it ever comes to that. Because it does get old. And as we can verify, it can decimate a quality MB to the point that good members do not want to speak out. I kept up the support, took some soft hits and accept the road I have taken. But not everyone wants to be involved when it gets messy.

So give Lock the ball. Lets hope he can progress, for our good and his own good.

Comment

I just want to boost Lock stock to trade. He should get a shot with how bad offense is.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Now that some of the smoke has cleared, I think, and those of us take a partial break from actively showing support for Bridgewater.....I am quite ok if The Broncos give Lock the ball next week. Apparently no stats we show supporting TB, or wins we feel he was part of matter. They are either irrelevant stats to some, or the wins were easy to others, and he was not a key player in any of it. I still think he had an important role in it all, but whatever.

I know he is not an elite QB, but I knew that before the season started. Not a spoiler alert. Who didn't know that? I really liked him as a young QB in Minnie, and I was proud of him in New Orleans. He did get the Carolina gig for some apparent reasons.

Without exhausting the QB storyline in Denver, because it has been a huge part of the controversy, and the results, it is safe to say that a high % of us either expected a better vet starter, a rookie or Lock. At least for a portion of the season. TB was not high on our list of hopefuls.

OK, 5 and 5. I still say that rhymes with alive. I can go over those stats re: the standings and paint that same all true picture, that we are very much in the mix. No matter how many Broncos fans say different. It's reality. By the way, there are a lot of so so teams out there, which is not our fault. We are not in heavy duty contention mode by any stretch, but I'm sticking around, not to look for more reasons to be "hangry" (Snickers for everyone), but to see what happens. What if TB has a better 2nd half? What if Lock starts and does well? What if Williams steps it up and is one of the RBs that folks are raving about around the league? What if Jeudy or Sutton or any of our receivers start to really shine, no matter who is passing? What if our D gels and becomes exciting to watch, all on its own?

I don't feel bad that we are only one game behind the division leader.....who has its hands full this weekend, or that only one WC team has more than 5 wins. Are those fans all giving up? And don't say it's different, because it's not. The anomaly this year does not seem to be us middle of the packers, rather those few teams who can stay hot. I thought The Rams were contenders, but looked ordinary (at best) in their last two. Dallas was strong until we came along. Arizona is not as powerful as I expected minus Murray. The Packers are good, but not dominating. Tampa? How did Buffalo let The pats back into the picture?

Anyway....QBs have been this team's main issue since the SB, and even then fans were upset with Manning as starter. And until this organization buys into the process of finding a legit talent in that position, we will likely struggle for years to come.

And whoever is making our starter decision, they must be convinced that Lock should not start yet, for whatever reason(s). I am not sure I am close to convinced that he is the #1 guy. I liked the 2019 version of Lock, not so much the 2020 version. But if they start him, I'm cool with it. He might impress. He might not. And if he falters a little, and in reasonable terms, I will do my very best not to sound off about it every single chance I get.

I personally dont think it would hurt either. Both qb's have their clear weaknesses...amd strengths. But they are very different players. Teddy is the "safer" option for sure, but as has been widely discussed he isnt a game changer by any means. Lock would surely turn the ball over more......but also has more "game", and is willing to lay it all out there doing the best he can. (What that "best" is, is definitely up for debate though). The one thing Lock has going for him that Teddy doesnt, is his perceived "ceiling". Honestly, he has the raw ability that Bridgewater doesnt have. Bigger arm, more mobile, and he doesnt lack for swagger. But where is that ceiling? Is it really more than what he has shown? Or is the incredibly inconsistent player all that he is, or will be? I tend to think the latter, but it is also a fair point to say he could rise above that. The coaches seem to think the worst of him, they wouldnt put him in even with Teddy playing hurt. That just screams no confidence by the coaching staff...loud and clear.

In the end, I would also be ok with playing him though. I do not honestly think we are playoff bound, even with having a real shot at it. So why not?
                  sigpic

Comment

I would prefer we start the BR. Lock had 18 starts or so…. He isn’t anything special. On top of that, he strikes me as a spoiled brat, son of a rich daddy who doesn’t want to work for anything. He screwed the team last year with that Covid nonsense. Personally, I hope DL never takes a snap again wearing a DEN uniform.

his lack of professionalism filled me with awe and wonderment. He doesn’t deserve another chance.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                      I would prefer we start the BR. Lock had 18 starts or so…. He isn’t anything special. On top of that, he strikes me as a spoiled brat, son of a rich daddy who doesn’t want to work for anything. He screwed the team last year with that Covid nonsense. Personally, I hope DL never takes a snap again wearing a DEN uniform.

his lack of professionalism filled me with awe and wonderment. He doesn’t deserve another chance.
                      I am not keen on Lock since last year, but maybe I am being too quick to judge. But I liked what I saw and what I heard from him when drafted and into year one. Last year changed things for me, and some of it was just little stuff. But when you stick behind someone and then they seem to be a different type of person, it does leave a dent. Oh yeah, and there's those pics....

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

Curious where you are getting the impression he is a “spoiled brat with a rich daddy” or his “lack of professionalism “?

I must have missed those stories. Maybe you can cite some examples.

Most of the stories I saw or heard over the off-season were relating how hard he was working on improving. Only to be told the “competition “ for QB was based on his ability to be the safe choice and be like Bridgewater. Apparently he failed at that.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Curious where you are getting the impression he is a “spoiled brat with a rich daddy” or his “lack of professionalism “?

I must have missed those stories. Maybe you can cite some examples.

Most of the stories I saw or heard over the off-season were relating how hard he was working on improving. Only to be told the “competition “ for QB was based on his ability to be the safe choice and be like Bridgewater. Apparently he failed at that.
                          father owns a bunch of dealerships. Come from wealth. All of his actions and press conferences since he arrived indicate as much. His lack of “delving into the playbook and work ethic.

Here’s Drew in his own words before this season:

“I decided that I was going to develop a plan this offseason,” Lock said. “It was going to be really long days, but it was going to be worth every single second of it because regardless of what happened, if I stayed here, I left or they brought someone in, my mindset was not going to change wherever I went. If I went somewhere or if I stayed here, I was going to be the guy. I put every single ounce in that this offseason. Being able to do that gave me zero time to listen to all of this stuff. Maybe I’ll go back one day, read and laugh about things that were being said by people who ended up being completely wrong.”

he needed this attitude after being drafted and after his rookie year. Now, too late. Goodbye!

Comment

Then there’s this from after last season:

NFL Insider Shares Rumor That Broncos Had to 'Dummy Down' Playbook for Drew Lock

In a conversation earlier this week covering the QB rumor mill, Pauline was asked what info he'd gleaned down in Mobile about Drew Lock and the Denver Broncos’ current quarterback situation. Pauline's reply included some negative buzz on Lock.
                            “I have heard everything from ‘people are not sold on Drew Lock’ to ‘people are down on Drew Lock’.... we know that Drew Lock has had flashes and had his moments. He’s also had a lot of injuries. What I found out at the Senior Bowl is the Denver Broncos had to kind of slim down the playbook, take things out of the playbook that Drew Lock can’t run… They (the Broncos’ offensive coaching staff) almost had to dummy down the playbook so Drew Lock can handle it. That’s a major concern.”

a college kid can’t understand the playbook bc he isn’t doing the professional work.
                            too busy listening the lyrics and movies to quote. Sooner he’s gone, the better. Go run daddy’s car dealerships and talk about the good old days.

Comment

Funny, that these hit pieces on Lock come out when there’s pressure to start him. Personally, I think it’s horses hit. In the preseason when TB was named starter, is when this story should have been made. Not now. If there was any truth to it, it would have been the immediate go to reason as to why TB was chosen over Lock. It would have silenced all the doubters.

Comment

Working...
                              X