No announcement yet.

I Am Quite OK If Lock Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, this season was over before it even started. I was never for drafting Lock when everybody was talking about taking him in the first round (the second-round flyer was fine with me), but of all the QBs on the roster he is the only one that had a chance to improve and possibly take full advantage of all the talent we have on offense. Because we, for some reason I still don’t fully understand, didn’t draft Justin Fields, I felt we needed to see once and for all what Lock could do with a proper off season.

That’s not even to say I think Lock would break through, I don’t. But I thought he and Teddy were close. They, of course, have different upsides and downsides, but plus/minus wise they are about equal, but Teddy was never going to be anything more than he is/has been. I heard an interesting stat on the Fan the other day that pretty much sums up my thoughts on Teddy (take it with a grain of salt, I have no idea where they get their stats so I couldn’t verify). Over the last three years he is top 5 in third down completion percentage, but dead last in third down conversion. His struggles on 3rd down in the preseason really bothered me.

Teddy could be a heck of a back-up mentor to a young QB, but he plays it way too safe to be a full-time starter. If we had drafted Fields I would be ok with him starting to give Fields time to learn until we were out of playoff contention, then Fields would go in.

I felt Lock should have started the season. Build his confidence against the creampuffs and see what could happen. Either way (Lock or Bridgewater) I figured we would be at least 5-5 at this point (had a win vs the Raiders not the Cowboys) no mater what, but if Lock started to fulfill his potential we could have another win or two. At this point it too late, but sure, put him in… what the heck.
    broncojuan
    Gunslinger
    Last edited by broncojuan; 11-20-2021, 01:22 PM.
    Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

I’m okay with Lock starting if they change the offensive philosophy. Run pass ratio of 60:40 and heavy play action. Pass plays where it’s 2-3 reads max to simplify things. The current offensive strategy is not designed for Lock to succeed in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Senses Fail View Post
        I’m okay with Lock starting if they change the offensive philosophy. Run pass ratio of 60:40 and heavy play action. Pass plays where it’s 2-3 reads max to simplify things. The current offensive strategy is not designed for Lock to succeed in my opinion.
        It’s not designed for anyone to succeed.

Comment

I'd like Lock to start. TB is going to lead us to around a .500 record (8-9 I think), and that leaves us short of the playoffs and not in a good draft position. Lock may lose the rest of the games, in which case we get a better shot at drafting a QB. Or he surprises almost all of us and we win the AFC West, which would be OK too. Worst case is the same at TB's best case (8-9 or thereabouts).

Comment

Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
            I'd like Lock to start. TB is going to lead us to around a .500 record (8-9 I think), and that leaves us short of the playoffs and not in a good draft position. Lock may lose the rest of the games, in which case we get a better shot at drafting a QB. Or he surprises almost all of us and we win the AFC West, which would be OK too. Worst case is the same at TB's best case (8-9 or thereabouts).
            The thing I agree with in your post is the mediocrity outcome, finishing middle of the pack. Actually it's ok to occasionally finish there, but prolonged losing and middle of the pack results are hard to accept. The lousy seasons should equate to high quality draft picks, but that card can not be played too often. And the middle of the pack, as you say, does not get you great picks nor does it give you regular season satisfaction. Again, it's ok once in a while, and especially if it comes after a really poor season. But yeah, not the place for extended visits.

Comment

I bet Lock could at least get the ball to Sutton....

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                Not so sure, I doubt Lock would have a chance if Shurmur called the play with Fant solo blocking an elite pass rusher.

Whether the safest play or not I would guess that Lock would at least risk his completion percentage by throwing past the down marker or into ( not over ) the end zone occasionally. Unless that trait has been beaten out of him to fit the Bridgewater, Siemian, Keenum, etc mold the Broncos so dearly love.

Fangio has his guy. We will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Not so sure, I doubt Lock would have a chance if Shurmur called the play with Fant solo blocking an elite pass rusher.

Whether the safest play or not I would guess that Lock would at least risk his completion percentage by throwing past the down marker or into ( not over ) the end zone occasionally. Unless that trait has been beaten out of him to fit the Bridgewater, Siemian, Keenum, etc mold the Broncos so dearly love.

Fangio has his guy. We will never know.
                  Funny.....I think it was the Thursday night game, I was watching with a buddy and it was a 3rd and 2. I looked at my friend and said...." just watch, Teddy will still throw it short of the sticks"....and yep, still short and tackled for a loss

Comment

So,,,,just a fan to fan question.

If TB starts next week and we win, are you happy?

Yes or no question.

My answer - yes. If The Broncos win, and do so over The Chargers, and keep in the hunt, yes I am happy for the team.
                    CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    Last edited by CanDB; 11-20-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      So,,,,just a fan to fan question.

If TB starts next week and we win, are you happy?

Yes or no question.

My answer - yes. If The Broncos win, and do so over The Chargers, and keep in the hunt, yes I am happy for the team.
                      I'm always happy for a Broncos win, but, if at the end of the season, we don't make the playoffs, and have no hope for the future, will you be happy then?

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncojuan View Post

I'm always happy for a Broncos win, but, if at the end of the season, we don't make the playoffs, and have no hope for the future, will you be happy then?
                        I am not sure you can compare my question to yours. I simply asked about a very finite thing...one game, our next one.

You on the other hand are talking about "the future" as if we have no control on that. There are an abundant number of things we can do in the offseason. And it will then focus on our GM and his plan of attack for that timeframe. His vision, and his roadmap to get there. And in case you are wondering about my take on QB, well, it won't include TB as the starter. That was unlikely the plan for this AND next season, and if so, I would have been completely against it.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I am not sure you can compare my question to yours. I simply asked about a very finite thing...one game, our next one.

You on the other hand are talking about "the future" as if we have no control on that. There are an abundant number of things we can do in the offseason. And it will then focus on our GM and his plan of attack for that timeframe. His vision, and his roadmap to get there. And in case you are wondering about my take on QB, well, it won't include TB as the starter. That was unlikely the plan for this AND next season, and if so, I would have been completely against it.
                          Well, maybe I misworded it. Maybe I should have said "very little hope for the future." As it stands right now, the future looks bleak. The college QB crop is not strong (I like the kid out of Pitt, but almost everybody is a project), and the likelihood of us getting a Rogers or Wilson is a long shot. Most likely Teddy will be signed to a 3-4 year deal, and we draft a project QB. Over all my small joy over a largely insignificant win will be overshadowed by the worst stretch of broncos football in more than 50 years.

sigpic

Comment

Of course I would be happy if the Broncos win. I’ll take any win any week. If they can somehow make it to the playoffs even better.

Bridgewater is who thought he would be as a player. This latest fiasco was unexpected though from such a respected player. IMO he lost a lot of respect with that decision.

The off-season and next year is an entirely different issue. Topic for another day.

Comment

Word. Forgot Sutton was even on the field.

Comment

Sure, but would Sutton even fight for the ball?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X