No announcement yet.

I Am Quite OK If Lock Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not been a teddy fan.will not get a chance to see Drew,we have a head coach that is trying to save his job.it has been said pat is washed up.i know I feel that way.vic should have never been able to fire scangarello.not a good move to fire a guy after one year.
    I miss real Bronco football

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I sure hope he is not attached to TB beyond this season. I may be wrong, but I think his connection helped him find a QB that might get the job done this year, given he could not acquire one of the better QBs that seemed to be on the market, OR did not like something about Fields/Jones, etc. In spite of my defending TB from time to time, I certainly would be concerned if Paton sees him as anything more than a 1 year starter, and possible backup beyond. And possibly Lock did not provide him and the others a sense of comfort for one reason or another. Sometimes when you are close to individuals, you see/hear things that do not resonate properly.
      We don’t always agree, but here I completely agree with you.
      To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post

We don’t always agree, but here I completely agree with you.
        I like when folks get into some "debating" and still have the class to do what you just did. Not everyone plays that game.

Comment

I like when folks get into some "debating" and still have the class to do what you just did. Not everyone plays that game.

You too. I think the truth is at the confluence of debate and opinion so I appreciate the fact that in these boards we all get to voice our thoughts and have a hearty discussion.

To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

You know the thing I hate the most about nfl fans is that they give NO TIME for a QB to develop. Josh Allen is a case. Look at tannehill under McDaniels. Look at shurmurs track record as a OC.

Lock was hurt half the 2019 season playing with the second offense. He looked promising under scangarello. Fast forward to 2020. I heard Peyton manning say lock didn't meet with shurmur until August. Freaking August. Everything over Zoom. How the hell can you learn an offense like that? We have all seen Shurmurs play calling. He does NOT make it easy on a qb. No easy plays. No creative play calling, can't get his qb into a groove. Lock was without sutton last year and had a super young offense. What do you expect him to do with that?

Then comes this year. Teddy has looked good for the most part. If it weren't for some over thrown balls we may have won a few more games. I believe teddy is the better QB now but why did we give up on Lock after 18 games, 1 he didn't even finish cause he got hurt? Sure teddy can turn it around and play better but what are we going for this season? Playoffs? Sure teddy is probably the safest bet but if we don't care about playoffs let Drew start. He plays like crap we get a better spot. A switch might flip in him before the season is over. What if the bills gave up on Josh after 1 season? It took him two full seasons and getting a clutch WR in Diggs to get him where he is today and even then the bills aren't looking so great. I'd rather lose and have some exciting plays with interceptions than teddy's boring ass offense

Comment

QB development is as much about the coaching and play calling as it is the talent of a young player.

How does the team, system and coaches support what a young QB does well and minimize what they don’t. Compare the all in support teams like the Ravens and Cardinals gave their young QBs. Then compare to what the Broncos have chosen to do the last few years.

Going into this season the assumed direction was rely on the rushing game and use play action. Seems to me the Shurmur system chooses to throw the ball more then the expected and does little to support the oline.

Even the “ most complete QB prospect in years” in T. Lawrence is struggling, not meeting expectations, and there is discussion of the coaching staff being on the hot seat because the system they are running is not working. And that’s with full and complete buy-in to the young QB, not even close to the lack of commitment the Broncos currently have decided on.

It is perplexing trying to understand what they are thinking in Dove Valley these days.

Comment

It seems like they are incompetent and just don't know how to develop a QB.

There are some people who think they are fishermen, they buy a big boat, buy all the expensive equipment, go through all the motions and look and think they are fishermen, BUT they don't catch any fish.

​​​​​​(Because they don't know how.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dotst View Post
                  You know the thing I hate the most about nfl fans is that they give NO TIME for a QB to develop. Josh Allen is a case. Look at tannehill under McDaniels. Look at shurmurs track record as a OC.

Lock was hurt half the 2019 season playing with the second offense. He looked promising under scangarello. Fast forward to 2020. I heard Peyton manning say lock didn't meet with shurmur until August. Freaking August. Everything over Zoom. How the hell can you learn an offense like that? We have all seen Shurmurs play calling. He does NOT make it easy on a qb. No easy plays. No creative play calling, can't get his qb into a groove. Lock was without sutton last year and had a super young offense. What do you expect him to do with that?

Then comes this year. Teddy has looked good for the most part. If it weren't for some over thrown balls we may have won a few more games. I believe teddy is the better QB now but why did we give up on Lock after 18 games, 1 he didn't even finish cause he got hurt? Sure teddy can turn it around and play better but what are we going for this season? Playoffs? Sure teddy is probably the safest bet but if we don't care about playoffs let Drew start. He plays like crap we get a better spot. A switch might flip in him before the season is over. What if the bills gave up on Josh after 1 season? It took him two full seasons and getting a clutch WR in Diggs to get him where he is today and even then the bills aren't looking so great. I'd rather lose and have some exciting plays with interceptions than teddy's boring ass offense
                  Good overall post!

I was thinking the same sort of thing recently, which many of us have thought about over the years. QBs deserve time to develop, and some take longer but with good results. And though we knew Josh Allen would be ok at some point, he needed confidence/experience to get to this level. Only a few years back, in the playoffs, he was rattled. Making foolish decisions. But he had the skill/potential, which was probably why folks did not worry too much.

I agree that Lock did not have a long courtship as starter, which I also wonder about, but it may be that he has presented himself and his game in a less than positive way with the decision-makers. Maybe he has some "tendencies" or other issues that are troublesome to them. I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    It seems like they are incompetent and just don't know how to develop a QB.

There are some people who think they are fishermen, they buy a big boat, buy all the expensive equipment, go through all the motions and look and think they are fishermen, BUT they don't catch any fish.

​​​​​​(Because they don't know how.)
                    It may in part be the lack of talented QB "developers" and the lack of talented "recruiters".

Comment

If TB continues to start I will hope for the best, but honestly I don't think he should. His play isnt the reason although you could make that argument that its time to move on. I dont think it's a good message to the team to play him after what he did against the Eagles.
                      Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Lock Homers: "Drew! Why is he not in the game?"
                        Broncos Coaches: "He seems to like the bench, princess."
                        Paton: "He's active. You asked for another year. You paid for another year."
                        Lock Homers: "This is not another year. When will he play as he did?"
                        Paton: "When the sun rises in the west, sets in the east. When the seas go dry. When the mountains blow in the wind like leaves."

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                          Lock Homers: "Drew! Why is he not in the game?"
                          Broncos Coaches: "He seems to like the bench, princess."
                          Paton: "He's active. You asked for another year. You paid for another year."
                          Lock Homers: "This is not another year. When will he play as he did?"
                          Paton: "When the sun rises in the west, sets in the east. When the seas go dry. When the mountains blow in the wind like leaves."
                          Well Paton is quite the poet I see, other than he seems to be having difficulty with directions.

And to add, he also says:

"The answer my friend is blowin in the wind......" (not sure if he means North, South, East or West)

Comment

Game of Thrones reference.

As for Dylan.
                            "blowin in the wind" means all but none of those things. It is not directional or tangible. Humanity is a struggle of duality, and inescapably flawed. Striving for what it does not, and will never have. Gods of discontent.

If you say the optimist must root for playoff success this season and the next. I say to you that the optimist feels pain for a lack of the thing he believes. Belief can be in players. Drew Lock, for example. He believes in Lock, and expresses pain because Lock does not play. When he stops believing, he will feel no pain.

But I quoted Pope in another thread when I said that "hope springs eternal". It does. And now I'm rambling, and people aren't here for that.
                            Last edited by Spice 1; 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                              Game of Thrones reference.
                              Mine's Bob Dylan of course.....

Comment

This is where you and I are on different planes. We do align in terms of dissatisfaction for the last 5 or 6 seasons, including this one. But I am more hopeful about what happens after this season, though I can not prove anything, nor do I have a guaranteed QB lined up. So maybe I am being a little foolish in expecting a better fate, but I do. I sense Paton will deliver. I do believe he was kicking QB tires this past offseason, and kicking a little harder for one or two.

And this team has a number of quality players as is.

But Paton is the one this hinges on, and this team will be as good or not so good pending the decisions he makes postseason. And I am not just talking players.
                                I dont think we will be much better off at QB next season as we are now. Not because Paton sucks, or anything like that. But because this year's crop of qb's is reportedly weak. Which means any top prospects are going to be drafted long before we get to pick.

That leaves free agency or a trade. Any free agent "name" qb's, are going to be sought after by more than just us. It could well come down to a bidding war. We have cap space to work with here. We also feature an elite corps of skill players to draw interest. But an OL that isnt all that good. We can compete for a free agent, but it would be very very costly. And may not land one anyway.

That leaves a trade. IMO, the most likely route to a serious upgrade at QB. We have a bevy if quality draft picks to use here. Still, few teams are willing to trade away the kind of qb we are looking for, a guy to solidify the position for the next 5+ years.

So in the end, we are most likely going to end up with Teddy for another year, or some other journeyman that does "ok", but isnt going to be all that good.

The good news is, that the year after, 2023, is by all acounts, likely to have several top college qb prospects. We may have to suck it up and just deal with mediocre (or worse) qb's til then.

No matter what is said on this board, finding, and landing, that next franchise qb isnt easy. Despite the talk, you simply dont just "draft a guy", and have a good qb. Some posters like to make it sound as if we should be able to do that pretty much any time we want. I mean, if the people in the front office would just listen up, some of the posters here could tell them everything there is to know about how to draft, and who they should pick. And that, would solve every problem the Broncos have.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X