DEN Give Sutton $60.8M Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEN Give Sutton $60.8M Deal

Courtland Sutton, Broncos Reportedly Agree to 4-Year, $60.8M Contract Extension
    ROB GOLDBERG
    NOVEMBER 22, 2021

The Denver Broncos have agreed to a four-year extension with receiver Courtland Sutton worth up to $60.8 million, according to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

The deal features $34.9 million in guaranteed money.

Sutton was set to become a free agent after the season, the final year of his rookie deal. The 26-year-old leads the Broncos with 43 catches for 617 yards through 10 games in 2021, adding two touchdowns.

The 2018 second-round draft pick earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2019 when he finished with 72 catches for 1,112 yards and six touchdowns. A torn ACL ended his 2020 campaign after he'd played just one game, but he has bounced back strong this season.

Denver also signed fellow receiver Tim Patrick to a three-year extension Saturday, while 2020 first-round pick Jerry Jeudy is under team control through 2024.

Along with tight ends Noah Fant and Albert Okwuegbunam, the passing attack has a lot of options for Teddy Bridgewater or any other quarterback who fills the role in 2022.

One concern could be Sutton's production alongside Jeudy, even with a small sample size.

Jeudy has played only four games this season because of an ankle injury, but he has been the top option. Sutton has totaled six catches for 92 yards on 12 targets with both in the lineup.

The Broncos apparently think the two can coexist after locking down Sutton on a long-term deal.

At $15.2 million per year, Sutton will rank 14th among NFL receivers in average annual salary in 2022, per Spotrac.

Last edited by Mel B.; 11-22-2021, 02:53 PM.

Good!! Now we just need a QB

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      And the hope Sutton returns to form in year two of ACL recovery because hope is such a viable strategy.

Unnecessary signing in my opinion, but hopefully it works out better than the last time you spent money on two receivers while you had QB issues going on.

Comment

Its a good deal if he gets back to where he was.

https://i.imgur.com/YpWz9fm.jpg

Comment

I didn't want to lose Sutton or Patrick so I'm beyond happy that we have them both locked up.

Comment

And young offensive-minded HC and young creative OC.

No more old, tired, behind the times coordinators and/or HC retreads.

Comment

At least a QB that will look Sutton’s way more than once or twice a game.
              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Wow, this is great news! This has been the best bye week ever with Sutton and Patrick getting extensions. We're all set at WR and now we just need a franchise QB. Our offense will be among the best in the league, if not THE best, when we finally find our QB.
                Proud resident of Broncos Country!!!

Comment

Hopefully it attracts the likes of Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson in the off-season. Sutton, Judy, and Patrick is a formidable combo with the right guy throwing the ball.

Comment

And a competent front office , and an interior o line that doesn’t fold too easily , and offensive players that tackle when they’ve just turned the ball over , and a special teams that blocks field goal attempts , and a cheaper running back who doesn’t fumble as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

At least a QB that will look Sutton’s way more than once or twice a game.
                      That is Sutton’s fault. He runs all his routes beyond the first down marker.

Glad to see the contracts locking in key players. It is a slow process but work is being done to build some consistently.

Comment

I like the idea of signing our young core players in season before the free agency period starts. If Sutton would have hit the market he would have got 18+ per year, so I think this is excellent value if we can put all the weapons to use.
                        Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

That is Sutton’s fault. He runs all his routes beyond the first down marker.

Glad to see the contracts locking in key players. It is a slow process but work is being done to build some consistently.
                          LOL!!!

And throwing at or beyond the 1st down marker (regardless of down & distance) just isn't in our current starting QB's comfort zone.

Comment

Maybe the trick to getting a good deal for Sutton was playing Teddy.

Lock would have gotten Sutton the ball more and possibly made him unaffordable.

Now can we give the guy with upside a chance?
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                            Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

This, and the Patrick extension, is a win for both sides. Broncos sign them without having to get in a bidding war had they wait until free agency. Sutton and Patrick got paid without having to worry about making it to free agency without getting injured and it affecting the offers they would have gotten if the were injured entering free agency.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X