Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paton Should Stay And Do More Positive Damage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paton Should Stay And Do More Positive Damage!!

When Paton arrived, the word was he was an astute personnel guy. We needed exactly that, given we had made some dubious draft / FA choices for some time, particularly in the realm of QB/Oline. The line has improved though, and even if not one of the top tier groups, still moving in the right direction. And though I am an Elway fan, I felt like he needed some Exec help. He will always be a Broncos icon.

So Paton kicked tires on QBs in the offseason, and did not draft one. He did bring Bridgewater here, which seemed like a temporary measure, pending the duel with Lock. This is the one position we all have an opinion about, and will likely have for months to come....and even beyond. Yesterday however, it appears like Lock will no longer be the starter of this team. And it's good that he stepped in, because we do have folks wondering why he is not the starter. Not saying he has a 0% chance, but it's pretty low. As for TB, well, lets finish the season, and expect a new face, next year.

People did not love the Surtain pick, but it looks like a winner thus far. Not all high picks turn out. Not all high picks look like pro bowlers. This kid, like the pick or not, is a keeper and potential stud, who will help anchor this Dbackfield for many years.

Paton made a deal recently, which looked to many as a "rebuild" transaction. You know, seller mentality. However since Von got traded The D has played very well! And we got a 2nd and a 3rd rounder, which now looks like a steal!! This was a case of addition by subtraction, but then you got to add the draft picks to the math to appreciate the true value. Apparently he and our coaches felt good about the group we had defensively, and so far it looks like they were right on the money. This is called sound management, and calculated risk taking. I am sure the idea of trading a Broncos hero and future Hall Of Famer took a lot of time. effort and analysis. But so far I call it a steal of a deal.

So with this in mind, lets try to have a place for positive Paton strategy and maneuvers. Maybe I am only following the happy trail of his effort, but if he continues with these positive transactions I am quite ok with what's to come. And now that more of us realize that Lock is not the future, I feel confident that a new face will lead this team, sooner than later. And if coaching changes need take place, I feel like Paton will do the right thing.
    CanDB
    Football Immortal
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-29-2021, 09:24 AM.

You a real fun guy (alternate spelling = fungi)
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      You a real fun guy (alternate spelling = fungi)
      Yeah, I have been compared to various molds before!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Yeah, I have been compared to various molds before!!
        After you, the mould was broken ... I think.
        samparnell
        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
        Last edited by samparnell; 11-29-2021, 11:21 AM.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Dropping down a rung or two grammatically when i wander to american sites as usual , Ian Eagle is Iron Eagle , Graham Glasgow sounds like someone from the far east and moulds is now molds , you’ve got to be different haven't you.

Comment

He’s done well so far. Had to move a lot of pieces this year with all the injuries we’ve had and he’s made some good moves. We’ve had a revolving door on the o-line and at LBer and it’s starting to look like we have some decent pieces to have us contending at least for the division. Hopefully Paton can keep making moves to make Denver even better.
            Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

His draft class was all over the place yesterday making huge plays!

His two midseason additions in Young and Weatherly both contributing as well.
              sigpic

Comment

So we had 4 rookies on D yesterday. Lets just say, given the results, Paton and group made some really good choices in the draft! Plus that Williams kid, who will soon be our go to RB.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                  His draft class was all over the place yesterday making huge plays!

His two midseason additions in Young and Weatherly both contributing as well.
                  I was just about to praise young I love that guy's passion. I'm surprised the rams parted with him that seems like a great get on our part. Don't even get me started woth Williams I mean an old fav of mine was TD and this Williams kid is unbelievable. Every time he touches the ball something dynamic is soon to follow. We needed a big time RB and I feel we have one in this guy.

He signed Patrick and Sutton to extensions and didn't break the bank with either one. Add in the fact he has bolstered the secondary with Surtain who will be a cornerstone CB for years. I mean I don't see whats not to like about him so far. He has turned the ship in the right direction so far and I wanna see where we end up when we are full speed ahead. He's definitely earned my trust so far so great job Paton!!! 👏

Sadly the truth about his tenure and unfairly is going to be what he does with the QB spot. If that isn't solved he'll undoubtedly start to get criticized by fans. So far though I trust Paton and glad he waited so long to come to us when he could have been a GM for other teams.
                  :go:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    So we had 4 rookies on D yesterday. Lets just say, given the results, Paton and group made some really good choices in the draft! Plus that Williams kid, who will soon be our go to RB.
                    Meinerz is also looking really good. On his radio show Tyler Polumbus compared Meinerz to Glasgow. Polumbus said Glasgow was always in the right place but didn't move people. He said Meinerz was more likely to get beat quickly than Glasgow but that Meinerz has the ability to move players 3-4 yards, something which he said not many OL in the NFL can do.

Williams with Meinerz blocking has created some impressive plays for us. Here's to the "Pookey and the Belly Show" for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Meinerz is also looking really good. On his radio show Tyler Polumbus compared Meinerz to Glasgow. Polumbus said Glasgow was always in the right place but didn't move people. He said Meinerz was more likely to get beat quickly than Glasgow but that Meinerz has the ability to move players 3-4 yards, something which he said not many OL in the NFL can do.

Williams with Meinerz blocking has created some impressive plays for us. Here's to the "Pookey and the Belly Show" for years to come.
                      Good stuff. I think when the smoke clears at the end of the season, no matter how it ends, we will realize that our future has many nice pieces in place, and that a number of our young guys got some excellent experience, and yes, while proving themselves on the "pretty big" stage.

Comment

Baron Browning is also quietly looking like an awesome steal in the third round.

One thing I'll say I think we've been able to handle injuries better this season. I have nothing to back this up but I think there is a big part of being a GM that Paton seems to be really good at. Finding the guys off the street during the season to fill holes. Most of us probably focus on the Draft and Free Agency and rightly so it is a large part of building a team. But it certainly doesn't stop there. While Elway showed some really good instincts some of the time, when he missed on a pick/signing or guys got hurt it seemed like our season was just done. I don't think Elway had as good a feel on the in season adjustments and signings teams need to make. Nothing against Elway, I thought his talent evaluation for the most part was really good, but he just wasn't as practiced in keeping the revolving door of talent going through the season as guys wear down and get hurt. Paton as an Assistant in Minnesota was probably on top of that responsibility and has more experience doing that well and I think that more than anything is why we're sitting here with a chance to take the division lead with a win over the Chiefs.
                        A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post

I was just about to praise young I love that guy's passion. I'm surprised the rams parted with him that seems like a great get on our part. Don't even get me started woth Williams I mean an old fav of mine was TD and this Williams kid is unbelievable. Every time he touches the ball something dynamic is soon to follow. We needed a big time RB and I feel we have one in this guy.

He signed Patrick and Sutton to extensions and didn't break the bank with either one. Add in the fact he has bolstered the secondary with Surtain who will be a cornerstone CB for years. I mean I don't see whats not to like about him so far. He has turned the ship in the right direction so far and I wanna see where we end up when we are full speed ahead. He's definitely earned my trust so far so great job Paton!!! 👏

Sadly the truth about his tenure and unfairly is going to be what he does with the QB spot. If that isn't solved he'll undoubtedly start to get criticized by fans. So far though I trust Paton and glad he waited so long to come to us when he could have been a GM for other teams.
                          If he drafts Qb's like he drafts CB, RB, ILB, and G then I can wait. He didn't like any Qb's in the 1st more than Surtain so he must have something he looks for in a QB he will pull the trigger on.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
                            Baron Browning is also quietly looking like an awesome steal in the third round.

One thing I'll say I think we've been able to handle injuries better this season. I have nothing to back this up but I think there is a big part of being a GM that Paton seems to be really good at. Finding the guys off the street during the season to fill holes. Most of us probably focus on the Draft and Free Agency and rightly so it is a large part of building a team. But it certainly doesn't stop there. While Elway showed some really good instincts some of the time, when he missed on a pick/signing or guys got hurt it seemed like our season was just done. I don't think Elway had as good a feel on the in season adjustments and signings teams need to make. Nothing against Elway, I thought his talent evaluation for the most part was really good, but he just wasn't as practiced in keeping the revolving door of talent going through the season as guys wear down and get hurt. Paton as an Assistant in Minnesota was probably on top of that responsibility and has more experience doing that well and I think that more than anything is why we're sitting here with a chance to take the division lead with a win over the Chiefs.
                            Last time we had a linebacker who could stick with running backs it was Danny Trevethan , Browning is a bigger , faster and more athletic version ( that play where he jumped up and deflected a pass 😍)!
                            He was robbed of a sack to on that ticky tack PI on Darby.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                              If he drafts Qb's like he drafts CB, RB, ILB, and G then I can wait. He didn't like any Qb's in the 1st more than Surtain so he must have something he looks for in a QB he will pull the trigger on.
                              Was he wrong? Outside of Mac Jones, who from this past draft is off the boards looking like a franchise guy? And would Mac Jones look how he looks with Shurmur and Fangio? Jones does have the man who will go down as one of the best 5 coaches in the game's history. And Jones is the only one people in sports media viewed as pro ready. I think Paton has to be smart enough to know who his coaches are. I know a few here love them some Justin Fields and think he would have excelled in Denver. But with our bad OC and a history of being bad at developing QBs, it was safer to draft elsewhere.

I think Paton is a guy who wants a pro ready QB that you can plug into an offense and know what you're gonna get for the most part. This is why I wouldn't be surprised if Denver trades for Matt Ryan in the off season and draft Carson Strong(Or Desmond Ridder/Pickett if Paton decides to trade up). I also wouldn't be surprised if a call is made to Seattle, as it's being rumored Wilson is considering a change of location.
                              InsaneBlaze23
                              The ArchAngel
                              Last edited by InsaneBlaze23; 11-29-2021, 07:00 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X