Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undefeated when Gordon and Williams get double digit carries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undefeated when Gordon and Williams get double digit carries.

Herd it brought up on Broncos Country Tonight. When Gordon and Williams get double digit carries we are 5-0. It was said a penalty took away a carry from Williams against Wash or it would be 6-0.

Not only do we have the talent to run but it seems the OL feeds off it. Both Belly and Flemming looked savage in the run game. Risner said in a post game presser after hammering Dallas this is the kind of game the OL feeds on.

It is also punishing to the opposing defense specially in Denver.

Imagine actually building an offense around this strength of the team.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

I saw an article online saying that we may get Bolles and Massie back for this next game. If so, maybe we can run to the outside again. That would be nice.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
      I saw an article online saying that we may get Bolles and Massie back for this next game. If so, maybe we can run to the outside again. That would be nice.
      KC's defense seems to be waking up so it couldn't happen at a better time.

Offense needs some creativity as chemistry builds, surprise the other team's defense for a change.
      [sigpic

Comment

Every time Gordon touches the ball I'm worried it's going to end up on the turf. Williams should be getting 60-75% of the carries.
        Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          Herd it brought up on Broncos Country Tonight. When Gordon and Williams get double digit carries we are 5-0. It was said a penalty took away a carry from Williams against Wash or it would be 6-0.

Not only do we have the talent to run but it seems the OL feeds off it. Both Belly and Flemming looked savage in the run game. Risner said in a post game presser after hammering Dallas this is the kind of game the OL feeds on.

It is also punishing to the opposing defense specially in Denver.

Imagine actually building an offense around this strength of the team.
          Double digit rushing attempts each from Javonte and Melvin means a minimum of twenty rushing attempts per game, but most likely thirty plus. That's at the run end range of balanced, and into run heavy territory like the Dallas and Chargers games. Denver has the personnel to do that from 11/12 personnel formations.

Within a balanced/heavy rushing attack are other areas of balance. Seems like Denver uses a bit more zone stepped blocks than angle. Against the Chargers, QB was under a fair amount in the second half, but not sure how that breaks down on the season, so far.

Being able to run effectively from 11 and 12 personnel formations opens up PAP which should be at least half the passing attempts IMO.

This type of offense combined with solid D and good kicking game is good to have going into December/January.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

This rushing tidbit is a very relevant fact, and one that may carry us deeper than some believe. Our D is looking confident. And if we can integrate a good run game each week, well, it's checking off the playoff style boxes. Of course we need a passing game, but you do not need a lot more than (or even that many) 200 yards of effective passing to compete, if those 2 other parts are clicking. Again, not there yet, not consistently as good, but we won our last SB with limited passing. But it was timely and kept opponents guessing.

If TB can up his game just enough, and our WRs/TEs can do their part, I have to be honest....this thing is far from over.

Not expecting more than we got. But a consistent game, week in week out, will at least give us a shot for a playoff game.

And as I refer to when discussing draft picks vs playoffs, the experience our players would get by making the playoffs would be a value add going forward, and along with wise drafting, may be worth more than higher draft picks.

(And I will repeat this one at various points.....tons of cap space and a nice draft package so far!!!)
            CanDB
            Football Immortal
            Last edited by CanDB; 11-30-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Did we win these games because we had more rushing attempts (double digit for both Gordon and Williams) or rush more because we were ahead at half time in all of these wins?

Just an observation/question

For the record I love our running game right now. OL know where they are going and have to be less reactive, both the ball carriers run hard and we keep our defense fresh... I don't care if we adopt a really run-heavy offense for now and then just challenge teams to stop us.
              BiscuitBronco
              Captain
              Last edited by BiscuitBronco; 12-01-2021, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                Every time Gordon touches the ball I'm worried it's going to end up on the turf. Williams should be getting 60-75% of the carries.
                More like 85-90%

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                  Did we win these games because we had more rushing attempts (double digit for both Gordon and Williams) or rush more because we were ahead at half time in all of these wins?

Just an observation/question

For the record I love our running game right now. OL know where they are going and have to be less reactive, both the ball carriers run hard and we keep our defense fresh... I don't care if we adopt a really run-heavy offense for now and then just challenge teams to stop us.
                  It is a good point that I wonder myself.

I think we are winning because we run the ball.

Think what it comes down to is doing what we are good at and avoiding what we are bad at.

Great example last game was the 3rd and goal from the 9 yard line. That is a passing down almost all the time. We run the ball and score a TD. Part because that is what we good at and part because it caught the opposing defense off guard. They were in full on pass defense and one block lead to a clear running lane for the RB.

We can make the playoffs relying on the run game. Our OL (including our back ups who been playing) are looking good in the run game. We have two good RBs. Gordon may have issues with ball security but he is effective. Williams is a 3 down RB. Alternating the RBs has been working and keeps them both fresh as they play a very physical position.

Passing...well it seems just about every time the QB drops back it is a struggle. We need to fix that but it is not going to get fixed this season.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Double digit rushing attempts each from Javonte and Melvin means a minimum of twenty rushing attempts per game, but most likely thirty plus. That's at the run end range of balanced, and into run heavy territory like the Dallas and Chargers games. Denver has the personnel to do that from 11/12 personnel formations.

Within a balanced/heavy rushing attack are other areas of balance. Seems like Denver uses a bit more zone stepped blocks than angle. Against the Chargers, QB was under a fair amount in the second half, but not sure how that breaks down on the season, so far.

Being able to run effectively from 11 and 12 personnel formations opens up PAP which should be at least half the passing attempts IMO.

This type of offense combined with solid D and good kicking game is good to have going into December/January.
                    I agree. I know many times over the years I have seen pass happy teams turn into run heavy teams Nov/Dec and get into the playoffs. Part of it is because of bad weather but part of it is because that is how a team controls the game.

IMO a 30+ rushing attempt game is how we will beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I agree. I know many times over the years I have seen pass happy teams turn into run heavy teams Nov/Dec and get into the playoffs. Part of it is because of bad weather but part of it is because that is how a team controls the game.

IMO a 30+ rushing attempt game is how we will beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead.
                      I'm with ya!
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Careful boys.....running the ball and winning games is a recipe for a second contract for Mr. Teddy 2 gloves next year.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                          Careful boys.....running the ball and winning games is a recipe for a second contract for Mr. Teddy 2 gloves next year.
                          Oh no! Winning games?! How horrible!

Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I'd be fine with teddy sticking around and maybe stealing away Tua.
                            Manning to Thomas ev'ry day, all day.

Comment

Why do we have to bash one player to lift up another... why is this a thing?

Clearly the topic of the thread was that we are undefeated when BOTH RBs have double digit carries. We need both Williams and Gordon. They keep each other fresh and have complementary skill-sets. We know Gordon has a history of fumbling, but he only has 2 through 11 games-- which is not too bad for him. Gordon is our shifty, quick back with excellent vision and decisiveness. Williams is our bruising back that gashes defenses and moves the chains with his physicality. Both are solid in pass protection and as receivers.
                              https://i.imgur.com/7Q7tpCd.png

Comment

Working...
                              X