Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undefeated when Gordon and Williams get double digit carries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listopencil
    replied
    So what if we get Williams 20+ carries? Do we still win?

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

It is kind of a dumb stat that people focus so much on. "when this team has X amount of rushing attempts their record is blah blah". You can probably look at the winning % of the team with the most carries and its probably lopsided by quite a bit. Even teams that are not great at running the ball will try run out the clock and pile up those rushing attempts.

I do think we need to be better about commiting to the run though. Shurmur going pass heavy cause we are down by 10 in the 2nd quarter isnt a recipe for success. Teddy will never be able to take over a game and put up 500 yds and 5 tds. This offense doesnt have a quarterback to put up any sort of competitive passing game and our offensive line is way better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Just keep running the ball with williams and gordon, limit the amount of passing attempts that we have until we get a good qb.
    Also pretty dumb when people focus just on the QB

Even when Seattle had Wilson after he showed he can be a franchise QB they were one of the top rushing attempt teams for a couple years because they realized even WITH a good Qb passing the ball is a team effort in football. Need to have the pass protection. Need to have guys who can get open and even with all of that need a team that can work together to make it happen.

Some times it is about knowing what skills the team has. What is the team good at and what is the team bad at.

It is dumb to pass a lot when the team as a whole is not good as passing.

It is also dumb to pass a lot against a defense tearing up the passing game.

This year we have done both. IMO there are games that would have been different this year if our offensive coaching not only was more committed to the run on game day but also more committed to the run in how the offense was designed and how we practiced.

When we commit to the running we win because we have a team that can win that way. Right now our passing skills are not very good. It includes the QB but it is not limited to just the QB imo.
    Last edited by Hadez; 12-04-2021, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied

didnt exactly mean the 500 yds and 5 tds to be taken literally. I meant his stats at best are still pretty modest. 250 yds/2 tds/0 int seems to be his ceiling statistically speaking. Think he has only thrown for 3 tds once or twice in his career. I know he did once this year but he also had 3 int in that game.
    Teddy isnt capable of a shootout, so any game where our running game and defense has a rough game will most likely end in a loss.
    Lol... no worries Starbroncs, I recognized the hyperbole, and agree with your general point...TB would rarely win in a shootout, but I think his ceiling is a bit higher than you suggest. With improved line play and an established running game, wich we should 100% leverage, TB can get us competitive.

Many teams have won the superbowl with average or efficient QB play.

If we want a gunslinger, what's Fitzmagic up to these days?

Personally I'd rather TB puts up a phil simms type performance (apologies for opening old wounds) than a 400 yd 4td 3 int Fitz effort.... but then I'm a bit dull myself.

Leave a comment:

• Starbroncs
    replied
    Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Agreed TB will likely never pass for 500+ yds and 5+ TD's in a game. If you look up the 500 club you will see this feat has only been accomplished 8 times in history of professional football.... but in each case the QB was on the winning team... I just love that kind of correlation

didnt exactly mean the 500 yds and 5 tds to be taken literally. I meant his stats at best are still pretty modest. 250 yds/2 tds/0 int seems to be his ceiling statistically speaking. Think he has only thrown for 3 tds once or twice in his career. I know he did once this year but he also had 3 int in that game.
    Teddy isnt capable of a shootout, so any game where our running game and defense has a rough game will most likely end in a loss.

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied

It is kind of a dumb stat that people focus so much on. "when this team has X amount of rushing attempts their record is blah blah". You can probably look at the winning % of the team with the most carries and its probably lopsided by quite a bit. Even teams that are not great at running the ball will try run out the clock and pile up those rushing attempts.

I do think we need to be better about commiting to the run though. Shurmur going pass heavy cause we are down by 10 in the 2nd quarter isnt a recipe for success. Teddy will never be able to take over a game and put up 500 yds and 5 tds. This offense doesnt have a quarterback to put up any sort of competitive passing game and our offensive line is way better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Just keep running the ball with williams and gordon, limit the amount of passing attempts that we have until we get a good qb.
    Agreed TB will likely never pass for 500+ yds and 5+ TD's in a game. If you look up the 500 club you will see this feat has only been accomplished 8 times in history of professional football.... but in each case the QB was on the winning team... I just love that kind of correlation

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    I hope this helps:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos are set to welcome back a key piece of their offensive line. Denver activated tackle Garett Bolles from the Reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced on Thursday. The Broncos also placed tackle Calvin Anderson on injured reserve. The Broncos received a roster exemption for Bolles, which means he will not immediately count against the team's 53-man roster. Bolles was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Nov. 22 and missed the Broncos' Week 12 win over the Chargers. He also missed Weeks 9 and 10 with an ankle injury.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...-calvin-anders

Leave a comment:

• Starbroncs
    replied
    Did we win these games because we had more rushing attempts (double digit for both Gordon and Williams) or rush more because we were ahead at half time in all of these wins?

Just an observation/question

For the record I love our running game right now. OL know where they are going and have to be less reactive, both the ball carriers run hard and we keep our defense fresh... I don't care if we adopt a really run-heavy offense for now and then just challenge teams to stop us.

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied
    Why do we have to bash one player to lift up another... why is this a thing?

Clearly the topic of the thread was that we are undefeated when BOTH RBs have double digit carries. We need both Williams and Gordon. They keep each other fresh and have complementary skill-sets. We know Gordon has a history of fumbling, but he only has 2 through 11 games-- which is not too bad for him. Gordon is our shifty, quick back with excellent vision and decisiveness. Williams is our bruising back that gashes defenses and moves the chains with his physicality. Both are solid in pass protection and as receivers.

Leave a comment:

• Zanataki
    replied
    I'd be fine with teddy sticking around and maybe stealing away Tua.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Careful boys.....running the ball and winning games is a recipe for a second contract for Mr. Teddy 2 gloves next year.
    Oh no! Winning games?! How horrible!

Leave a comment:

• skeeter01
    replied
    Careful boys.....running the ball and winning games is a recipe for a second contract for Mr. Teddy 2 gloves next year.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I agree. I know many times over the years I have seen pass happy teams turn into run heavy teams Nov/Dec and get into the playoffs. Part of it is because of bad weather but part of it is because that is how a team controls the game.

IMO a 30+ rushing attempt game is how we will beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead.
    I'm with ya!

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Double digit rushing attempts each from Javonte and Melvin means a minimum of twenty rushing attempts per game, but most likely thirty plus. That's at the run end range of balanced, and into run heavy territory like the Dallas and Chargers games. Denver has the personnel to do that from 11/12 personnel formations.

Within a balanced/heavy rushing attack are other areas of balance. Seems like Denver uses a bit more zone stepped blocks than angle. Against the Chargers, QB was under a fair amount in the second half, but not sure how that breaks down on the season, so far.

Being able to run effectively from 11 and 12 personnel formations opens up PAP which should be at least half the passing attempts IMO.

This type of offense combined with solid D and good kicking game is good to have going into December/January.
    I agree. I know many times over the years I have seen pass happy teams turn into run heavy teams Nov/Dec and get into the playoffs. Part of it is because of bad weather but part of it is because that is how a team controls the game.

IMO a 30+ rushing attempt game is how we will beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Did we win these games because we had more rushing attempts (double digit for both Gordon and Williams) or rush more because we were ahead at half time in all of these wins?

Just an observation/question

For the record I love our running game right now. OL know where they are going and have to be less reactive, both the ball carriers run hard and we keep our defense fresh... I don't care if we adopt a really run-heavy offense for now and then just challenge teams to stop us.
    It is a good point that I wonder myself.

I think we are winning because we run the ball.

Think what it comes down to is doing what we are good at and avoiding what we are bad at.

Great example last game was the 3rd and goal from the 9 yard line. That is a passing down almost all the time. We run the ball and score a TD. Part because that is what we good at and part because it caught the opposing defense off guard. They were in full on pass defense and one block lead to a clear running lane for the RB.

We can make the playoffs relying on the run game. Our OL (including our back ups who been playing) are looking good in the run game. We have two good RBs. Gordon may have issues with ball security but he is effective. Williams is a 3 down RB. Alternating the RBs has been working and keeps them both fresh as they play a very physical position.

Passing...well it seems just about every time the QB drops back it is a struggle. We need to fix that but it is not going to get fixed this season.

Leave a comment:

• Carffather
    replied
    Originally posted by famicommander View Post
    Every time Gordon touches the ball I'm worried it's going to end up on the turf. Williams should be getting 60-75% of the carries.
    More like 85-90%

Leave a comment:

Working...
X