Calling On Javonte Williams!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling On Javonte Williams!!

Looks like Gordon will not play against KC. There is good news however. It's time for Javonte to carry the load, and what better time?!!

We drafted this talent in the 2nd round, and teams like Miami were apparently ticked that we moved up to select him. He is a powerful dude, utilizing 220 pounds to roll over defenders. He is one tough player to get down, because he is compact and solid, and once moving forward does not seem to go down without a lot of resistance. So far he has 568 yards rushing in a dual role, with a very positive 4.9 yards per carry. He also has 193 yards receiving, so this guy can stay on the field most of the night as far as I'm concerned. Of course we need some RB support, and it's time our backup talent really earns their money......I am sure they will be ready.

Most of us agree that the run game and D are key to winning tomorrow. Though it is still incumbent that The Broncos throw enough to move the sticks while keeping KC off guard. I would be fine with close to 200 yards in the air if it supports the run game as it should. Regardless, this game is Javonte's game to show the football world that he is the future of The Broncos, and he can deliver! I am sure he will be extremely motivated, because he wants the ball.

Of course I expect our Oline and support blocking to put on a show, by giving him some lanes. I too believe they will be motivated, because Oliners love to be "offensive" and will gladly accept the challenge of forcing the issue to KC. Our guys have some serious work to do, and will only be too happy in getting the opportunity. In your face football, served up Broncos style!

If Williams carries for 100 yards plus, catches a few passes, and scores at least 1 TD, I love our chances!

Team game...YES, but showcase our back for the future night - ABSOLUTELY!!

Hmmm...

Broncos' Mike Boone: Likely headed for No. 2 role

Boone is expected to serve as the Broncos' No. 2 running back behind Javonte Williams in Sunday's game against the Chiefs with Melvin Gordon (hip/shoulder) listed as doubtful for the contest, Kyle Newman of The Denver Post reports.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...for-no-2-role/

I wonder if they call up Demarea Crockett from the PS?
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
      Hmmm...

Broncos' Mike Boone: Likely headed for No. 2 role

Boone is expected to serve as the Broncos' No. 2 running back behind Javonte Williams in Sunday's game against the Chiefs with Melvin Gordon (hip/shoulder) listed as doubtful for the contest, Kyle Newman of The Denver Post reports.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...for-no-2-role/

I wonder if they call up Demarea Crockett from the PS?
      I accept the fact our backup will not be a stud, but if Boone can step in, add a variation to what Javonte brings, it should be fine. Hey, when Henry plays, I typically forget who his backup is. Tomorrow is Javonte, D, some effective passing and special teams. Whatever Boone or whoever add to the platter will be a bonus.

Boone has had some decent numbers with The Vikes:

2019 - 273 yard / 5.6 yds per carry
      2020- not much yardage but 5.4 yds per carry

Remember, behind Cook is Mattison, so Boone's yardage was down. But the yards per carry are good, no matter what the role.

For me, it's Javonte all night long, with pit stops. He's young and powerful. He's our Henry tomorrow.
      Last edited by CanDB; 12-04-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

They should never have signed Gordon to begin with. Drunk driving fumble machine.
        Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

As much as I really like Williams and dislike Gordon's bad timing fumbles I also recognize how good it is to have a two back system. Gordon is productive just makes bad timing fumbles.

Hope we take this opportunity to get more from Williams. Make him more of a featured back. Would also like to see more of Boone. He has been here long enough this is a chance for him to show off his skills.

Really hope Shurmur does not see this as another opportunity to be a pass happy offense against a defense that has been playing pretty good lately. KC has allowed less than 10 points twice in the last 4 games and the other two games were 14 and 17 pts. They had two weeks to prepare. This is not the time for Shurmur to rely on things we do not do very well.

We are the 21st ranked passing offense, 7 teams have given up more sacks than us and only a handful of QBs hold on to the ball longer than Teddy.

This is the kind of game where we run the ball 35+ times.

I have some hope after we got the run TD on 3rd and goal from the 9 that maybe the coaching is seeing what we are good at and has some faith in it.
          Lets Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I accept the fact our backup will not be a stud, but if Boone can step in, add a variation to what Javonte brings, it should be fine. Hey, when Henry plays, I typically forget who his backup is. Tomorrow is Javonte, D, some effective passing and special teams. Whatever Boone or whoever add to the platter will be a bonus.

Boone has had some decent numbers with The Vikes:

2019 - 273 yard / 5.6 yds per carry
            2020- not much yardage but 5.4 yds per carry

Remember, behind Cook is Mattison, so Boone's yardage was down. But the yards per carry are good, no matter what the role.

For me, it's Javonte all night long, with pit stops. He's young and powerful. He's our Henry tomorrow.
            I just wonder how effective Boone will be and my impression of Crockett is that he's closer to Williams' style of play. Crockett seems like a power running, straight ahead kind of guy.without a lot of wiggle and just a little shiftiness. Boone seems more like a scatback, change of pace kind of guy. If Williams has a drive where he carries the Offense for a 70+ yard drive then I'd feel better about a guy like Crockett going in to give him a breather. I don't know though. I could barely find any video of Boone when I looked.

Comment

I'm having visions of CJ Anderson plowing for yardage and getting us into the Red Zone only for Hillman to go in and get stuffed.

Comment

He’s been running great this year. Very strong, rarely goes down on first contact. The more carries Williams gets, the better it is for our offense.

Kind of wary about it this week though. Playing against Mahomes, Shurmur might get pass happy and start to ignore Williams. Especially if the Chiefs start scoring early and often. If Bridgewater has to get into a shootout with Mahomes, that’s a battle we very likely lose. Need to keep it close and keep feeding Williams all game long.
                Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                  He’s been running great this year. Very strong, rarely goes down on first contact. The more carries Williams gets, the better it is for our offense.

Kind of wary about it this week though. Playing against Mahomes, Shurmur might get pass happy and start to ignore Williams. Especially if the Chiefs start scoring early and often. If Bridgewater has to get into a shootout with Mahomes, that’s a battle we very likely lose. Need to keep it close and keep feeding Williams all game long.
                  I understand. That brings up one other key aspect of the game, for me. When reviewing some of our losses, we seemed pretty weak on opening drive D. Our D is good these days, so it might be a moot point, but we were allowing teams to score TDs right away, and that certainly does not bode well for a team like ours offensively. So though it does not all come down to first drives, I think we will be in a much better situation if we score first. Whether we score right from the kickoff or we stop them and score, it will be important. It will keep us right on track with our game plan, plus it may force a turnover early.

Go Williams!!

Comment

I've been waiting for this all year....not for Gordon to get hurt but to just see Williams as the guy. I want to see how dynamic he can be with a full workload

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

I kinda think we need to pass more. Our WRs don't have a ton of confidence right now because they aren't getting any opportunities. Primarily Sutton who has 7 catches for 95 yards TOTAL in the last 4 games!!!! He is a mismatch against most all defenses and TB can't get him the ball???

I actually expect a coming out type game for Sutton. Williams will have his opportunities on the ground and through the air and he'll be as good as advertised. We NEED to get our other mismatch weapons going. Fant is another guy who can dominate the middle of the field. If we had a quality starting QB (and a quality play caller) we'd have one of the leagues best offenses

Comment

For sure we Do have talented Offensive players. Big part going forward will be the game plans devised to utilize their talent. Winner takes the top spot in the AFC West. Go Broncos.

Comment

I'm confident that Pookie can handle RB1 duties and gash KC's defense all night long on SNF. If Shurmur copies his gameplan last season against KC and heavily leans on gap-blocking schemes to spring open the run game-- Pookie will dominate. Still not super confident in the rookie on zone runs, since his vision is still raw and he needs a bit more patience behind the LOS. Keep it simple, have Meinerz pull to clear a running lane-- and let 33 do the rest. I'm predicting a big game for Williams.

Also excited to see Boone get his first carries too. He flashed some explosiveness in the brief time he saw the field for Minnesota, so perhaps he can bring a bit of a change of pace from Williams' bruising style.

Also not surprised, but slightly disappointed that a thread dedicated to Williams and discussion about him has one of the first replies complaining about Gordon. Can't go a minute without negativity on here, can't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                            As much as I really like Williams and dislike Gordon's bad timing fumbles I also recognize how good it is to have a two back system. Gordon is productive just makes bad timing fumbles.

Hope we take this opportunity to get more from Williams. Make him more of a featured back. Would also like to see more of Boone. He has been here long enough this is a chance for him to show off his skills.

Really hope Shurmur does not see this as another opportunity to be a pass happy offense against a defense that has been playing pretty good lately. KC has allowed less than 10 points twice in the last 4 games and the other two games were 14 and 17 pts. They had two weeks to prepare. This is not the time for Shurmur to rely on things we do not do very well.

We are the 21st ranked passing offense, 7 teams have given up more sacks than us and only a handful of QBs hold on to the ball longer than Teddy.

This is the kind of game where we run the ball 35+ times.

I have some hope after we got the run TD on 3rd and goal from the 9 that maybe the coaching is seeing what we are good at and has some faith in it.
                            I would love for us to consider Isiah Spiller in the 2nd. It wouldn't be a prototypical Lightning/Thunder duality of RB, but it would give us a solid 3 down back with very few flaws(aside from 4.3-4.4 speed) and that BEAST we currently have in Pookie.
                            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                              I'm confident that Pookie can handle RB1 duties and gash KC's defense all night long on SNF. If Shurmur copies his gameplan last season against KC and heavily leans on gap-blocking schemes to spring open the run game-- Pookie will dominate. Still not super confident in the rookie on zone runs, since his vision is still raw and he needs a bit more patience behind the LOS. Keep it simple, have Meinerz pull to clear a running lane-- and let 33 do the rest. I'm predicting a big game for Williams.

Also excited to see Boone get his first carries too. He flashed some explosiveness in the brief time he saw the field for Minnesota, so perhaps he can bring a bit of a change of pace from Williams' bruising style.

Also not surprised, but slightly disappointed that a thread dedicated to Williams and discussion about him has one of the first replies complaining about Gordon. Can't go a minute without negativity on here, can't we?
                              I'm with ya. Great post!
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X