New HC Coach Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

I understand he's a freak coach. He's just an example, you look at any successful defensive minded coach, they all do it. Meanwhile the ones who didn't succeed, Fangio and Vance for Denver for example, they seemed to just not say a word when it came to offensive play calling.
    It would be nice to find that next freak of a HC to patrol the sidelines of Denver.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I agree IB. Belichick is clearly a hands on Defensive coach, as you will sometimes see him leading a group discussion on the sidelines, particularly in big or close games. But he too spent a lot of time with Brady, in his office, going over Offense, even though he has a very competent OC. Now part of it was his ability to translate Brady's strategy with the D they were about to play. But no doubt, he knows O. And I am quite sure that if things were getting tense, he'd debate with McDaniels, based on his knowledge of both sides of the ball.
      I always thought Marty Schottenheimer was a great coach to build a football team, but he never had any success in the post season

Marty Schottenheimer - Wikipedia

He had success everywhere he went. Cleveland, Chiefs, Skins, and San Diego. He just couldn't get over that hump.

He left a huge coaching tree though.

*****Schottenheimer holding the 2011 UFL Championship following the Destroyers' win over Las Vegas.

In March 2011, the Virginia Destroyers hired Schottenheimer to be their first head coach and general manager, at the age of 67.[51] In order to lure Schottenheimer to the Destroyers, league majority owner William Hambrecht personally guaranteed he would pay Schottenheimer's $1.1 million salary for the eight-game season.[52] He led the Destroyers to a 4–1 record in the shortened 2011 regular season, earning a playoff berth with home-field advantage in his first season. Schottenheimer's efforts earned him the 2011 United Football League Coach of the Year award.[53] His starting running back, Dominic Rhodes, was also named the MVP of the 2011 UFL season.[54]

On October 21, 2011, the Virginia Destroyers derailed the two-time defending UFL Champion Las Vegas Locomotives 17–3 in the 2011 UFL Championship Game at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex. It was Schottenheimer's first championship as a coach.[55]

Schottenheimer abruptly resigned from the Destroyers shortly before the 2012 season
      BroncoBreeder
      Captain
      Last edited by BroncoBreeder; 01-13-2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

I agree with you but I also want to point out that Bill Belichick is a freak of a Head Coach. The guy thoroughly understands O/D/ST. Probably one of the preeminent football minds of our generation.
        Belichick believes in a plug and play system whereas he can plug in anybody at any position and they will perform....As long as they fit his system.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

Belichick believes in a plug and play system whereas he can plug in anybody at any position and they will perform....As long as they fit his system.
          I think he has a very clear idea of what he wants every single person on the field to do at all times. Then he puts guys out there who he thinks will do those things. It helps when he can turn to a player and say 'if you do this, this, and that then the play will work' and it does. So you go out and do what he says. If you can't or you won't then you're gone.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

Actually, he adjusts his game plans to fit the opponent and asks his players to do things that they are good at.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl
            Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

Comment

I agree with you but I also want to point out that Bill Belichick is a freak of a Head Coach. The guy thoroughly understands O/D/ST. Probably one of the preeminent football minds of our generation.
              I remember watching the videos of McVay after the Super Bowl loss. He pretty much said Belichick took him to school. It’s crazy how there is levels to this game. I say the same thing about Brady. The things he’s doing pre-snap is so effortless compared to some QBs struggle to get everyone set.

Comment

• After thinking on it I'm pretty sure Paton is going to go with Dan Quinn because of the string ties he has to him. When that happens it'll remind me of the Pat Surtain move he made because of who his father was to him, which in fact caused us to pass on Parsons who is a one man wrecking crew.

This, the Dan Quinn thing I'd this is his guy it would mean he was dead set on Quinn and I'm not so sure this line of thinking has the best interests of the Broncos going forward because there may be a candidate put there who's worthy so is he really doing his due diligence and finding a candidate or is he just smoke screening. Maybe I'm reading to much into it but the more days go on the more I get an uneasy feeling about Paton.

This is just me guessing I know nothing happened yet except the Surtain thing. Well and my uncle vic getting the can. Say what yall want about Fangio I actually liked the guy (my opinion) I'm just going to wait and see but I'm about 95% sure it's going to be Quinn. If/when I'm right this will put a thought in my mind about Paton. Wondering if he is the right GM. This is just my thought I want good things for the broncos moving forward. I think we can all agree that we have been down for a while and it's time to make the changes and come up. I just hope we have the right people in place to do that. It's all I really want at the end of the day.

:go:

Comment

• As much as I'm unsure about Quinn, he did Coach the "legion of boom" and he was a head coach, and took his team to the Super Bowl.
                  Maybe he learned something from that epic collapse in the Super Bowl with the Falcons?

(Or maybe he didn't???)

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
                    After thinking on it I'm pretty sure Paton is going to go with Dan Quinn because of the string ties he has to him. When that happens it'll remind me of the Pat Surtain move he made because of who his father was to him, which in fact caused us to pass on Parsons who is a one man wrecking crew.

This, the Dan Quinn thing I'd this is his guy it would mean he was dead set on Quinn and I'm not so sure this line of thinking has the best interests of the Broncos going forward because there may be a candidate put there who's worthy so is he really doing his due diligence and finding a candidate or is he just smoke screening. Maybe I'm reading to much into it but the more days go on the more I get an uneasy feeling about Paton.

This is just me guessing I know nothing happened yet except the Surtain thing. Well and my uncle vic getting the can. Say what yall want about Fangio I actually liked the guy (my opinion) I'm just going to wait and see but I'm about 95% sure it's going to be Quinn. If/when I'm right this will put a thought in my mind about Paton. Wondering if he is the right GM. This is just my thought I want good things for the broncos moving forward. I think we can all agree that we have been down for a while and it's time to make the changes and come up. I just hope we have the right people in place to do that. It's all I really want at the end of the day.
                    I also think Paton is leaning towards Quinn, in part because of their experience together and in part because he's the safest candidate available this year.

Quin was a hot HC candidate in 2015, and he wanted to team up with Paton then for teams that had a GM/HC opening. Paton ultimately decided to stay put in Minnesota. They did work together for 2 years in Miami, and probably still have a good relationship.

Quinn is the safest pick in this year's hiring cycle. He has HC experience and everyone just loves the guy. He and Paton would probably work well together, as a GM/HC combo. Remember "safest pick in the draft"? Paton doesn't like to take big gambles, and Quinn represents the safe choice for Paton this year. Nobody around the NFL will second guess that hire, at least not right away.

I doubt interviewing these other candidates is simply a smoke screen. Why go through all of that just to throw teams off the scent? I don't see how that benefits the Broncos. I do think they have legitimate interest in almost all of the guys they're interviewing. Besides, Quinn is a hot candidate this year, atleast 4 teams want to interview him. If he gets a better offer somewhere else the Broncos need to have other options. Plan B - right Elway?

I'm confident in Paton until he proves that I should not be. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...-george-paton/

Comment

• Just cause Quinn has ties to Paton doesn’t mean he’s the next head coach. If Paton is going the route of nepotism in choosing the HC then he should be fired right now. Nepotism is how we got worthless Shurmur.

Comment

I think he has a very clear idea of what he wants every single person on the field to do at all times. Then he puts guys out there who he thinks will do those things. It helps when he can turn to a player and say 'if you do this, this, and that then the play will work' and it does. So you go out and do what he says. If you can't or you won't then you're gone.
                        Bill Belichick's father, Steve, wrote the definitive book on football scouting. Bill Belichick is a serious student of football history. He also keeps up on recent innovations at any level of the game. He isn't an innovator. However, his knowledge and background enable him to recognize what he sees from scouting and identify its football origin. If he notices an offense derived from one in the past, he can figure out what it took to stop that in the past. He has a formula of finding an opposing offense's strength and taking it away through his defensive game plan. When attacking a defense, he instructs his OC to systematically attack the perceived weakness of that D.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                          Just cause Quinn has ties to Paton doesn’t mean he’s the next head coach. If Paton is going the route of nepotism in choosing the HC then he should be fired right now. Nepotism is how we got worthless Shurmur.
                          It's also how we got Kubiak, so sometimes it works, and it's pretty common.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

It's also how we got Kubiak, so sometimes it works, and it's pretty common.
                            Kubiak had 3 SB rings as a coach/coordinator a good track record that could be attributed him in part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post

Kubiak had 3 SB rings as a coach/coordinator a good track record that could be attributed him in part.
                              And he was Elway's close friend going back to the 1980's when they were both QB's here, and I don't believe his offense helped Manning much. The fact that Kubes brought in Wade (more nepotism) is what truly made the most impact on the team's fortune.

Hiring someone you know and trust certainly isn't grounds for dismissal as you believe, but I would agree that this shouldn't be the sole qualifier for a hire, and that fair consideration should be given to each guy on Paton's list.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• As long as we don’t end up with this guy….

His relationship with Mitch seems to resemble the Lock/Fangio relationship. Makes you wonder how much these 2 coaches really set these 2 young QBs back who CLEARLY have special tools at the QB position.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists...ubisky-divide/

Here’s where the story gets interesting. Trubisky was supposed to meet with Nagy to discuss the 2019 season once it concluded. Trubisky had notes of what he wanted to discuss about the offense. A source told The Athletic that Nagy was a no-show at the meeting and “Trubisky left his notes” where the meeting was supposed to take place.

During the offseason going into the 2020 NFL season, Trubisky did have surgery to repair his injured left shoulder. In rehab, he was working on his throwing motions.

It was reported that Trubisky’s trainer saw structural issues with his right shoulder, which was injured in the 2018 season. That could have been the root cause of his accuracy issues.

During the offseason, the Bears traded for Nick Foles to add some competition for Trubisky. Trubisky worked his entire offseason on fixing both shoulders to get ready for camp. Trubisky won the quarterback competition, but his leash was very short.

Trubisky saw the writing on the wall though. It wasn’t only Foles who would say “this offense isn’t working.” Trubisky was smart enough to know it, too. He just expressed it a different way than Foles did.

Another source told The Athletic that Trubisky would be in the middle of camp and admit that “none of this stuff is working,” and would point out the issues in the offense. Nagy and his “trust the process mindset” didn’t work. Trusting the process highlighted the same offensive issues, that Trubisky, instead of his coach, was blamed for.
                                In 2020, even at 2-0, “Matt Nagy wasn’t happy,” according to The Athletic. Trubisky made some throws that annoyed Nagy. They were considered to be situational “errors” where Nagy wanted the ball thrown somewhere else.

While watching game film of the Week 2 win against the Giants, Nagy chewed out Trubisky in front of the entire team.

The play that annoyed Nagy was a three-route concept that went to tight end, Cole Kmet. The play had Allen Robinson running an out, Darnell Mooney running a fade, and Tarik Cohen on a swing route. The play was supposed to end up with Trubisky finding the fade. Even though this drive ended up in a passing touchdown to Mooney, Nagy was annoyed.

Robinson was open and instead of hitting him, Trubisky went to Kmet.

Nagy proceeded to “chastise” Trubisky, calling him “uncoachable” and not throwing the ball to the right receiver. This reportedly bummed Trubisky out and bummed out his teammates. Foles stated that “Mitch was really liked by his teammates.” This could have been the turning point that turned the locker room against Nagy.

Comment

Working...
                                X