POLL: Who do you want for HC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great minds!

Once we started this discussion I also went directly to that article. Not keen on some of their choices, because I believe those players were destined to be starters. But it was interesting none the less.

Comment

• Update on the MHR poll with 7K votes from "How would you rank the Broncos’ 10 candidates for head coach?" —rankings with which I do not agree BTW — Lions DC Aaron Glenn is #2??? Seriously?

Who do you want the Broncos to hire as head coach?
      • 11% Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy (775 votes)
      • 15% Cowboys DC Dan Quinn (1036 votes)
      • 52% Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett (3679 votes)
      • 0% Eagles DC Jonathon Gannon (14 votes)
      • 2% Pats iLB coach Jerod Mayo (121 votes)
      • 11% Cowboys OC Kellen Moore (809 votes)
      • 5% Rams OC Kevin O’Connell (322 votes)
      • 1% Lions DC Aaron Glenn (72 votes)
      • 1% Packers QB coach Luke Getsy (76 votes)
      • 2% Bengals OC Brian Callahan (168 votes)
      7072 votes total

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post
        Update on the MHR poll with 7K votes from "How would you rank the Broncos’ 10 candidates for head coach?" —rankings with which I do not agree BTW — Lions DC Aaron Glenn is #2??? Seriously?

Who do you want the Broncos to hire as head coach?
        • 11% Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy (775 votes)
        • 15% Cowboys DC Dan Quinn (1036 votes)
        • 52% Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett (3679 votes)
        • 0% Eagles DC Jonathon Gannon (14 votes)
        • 2% Pats iLB coach Jerod Mayo (121 votes)
        • 11% Cowboys OC Kellen Moore (809 votes)
        • 5% Rams OC Kevin O’Connell (322 votes)
        • 1% Lions DC Aaron Glenn (72 votes)
        • 1% Packers QB coach Luke Getsy (76 votes)
        • 2% Bengals OC Brian Callahan (168 votes)
        7072 votes total
        That says a lot about who folks want here. Hackett has a significant lead! I would have expected 2 or 3 of the others to be within much closer range.

I may be wrong but I believe a lot of folks like Rodgers in Denver, and think/hope he is influenced by the decision. I am one who would be happy with it. Doesn't mean I am close to right, but the 37% gap is huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

That says a lot about who folks want here. Hackett has a significant lead! I would have expected 2 or 3 of the others to be within much closer range.

I may be wrong but I believe a lot of folks like Rodgers in Denver, and think/hope he is influenced by the decision. I am one who would be happy with it. Doesn't mean I am close to right, but the 37% gap is huge.
          They are hoping Rodgers follows him here.....I'm willing to bet that if Rodgers was out of the equation, Hackett would be in the top 3.
          Last edited by BroncoBreeder; 01-22-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

They are hoping Rodgers follows him here.....I'm willing to bet that if Rodgers was out of the equation, Hackett would be in the top 3.
            It seems very likely it's the Rodgers' factor. By saying you think he would still be top 3 minus Rodgers, tells me you think he is a good candidate on his own merit. Which is very important.

Comment

Yeah, I think you're right. A 2022 QB poll done there a few months ago had Rodgers as the lead option (Drew Lock was a close second at the time) so there's a hope persisting among us that he will lead us back to the Promised Land. Paton has to know that this is a huge gamble because Aaron could physically decline at any time now or choose to retire and there goes the draft capital we paid to get him. If we go the veteran route I like Wilson a little better, while drafting a QB is my top preference. Paton did well in finding talent in the last draft so perhaps his team can identify an option with elite potential in this next one. It still both galls and amazes me how KC's draft team identified Mahomes (when no one else thought he was so special) and traded up to get him. Something like this needs to happen for us.
              Last edited by L.M.; 01-22-2022, 08:05 AM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Yeah, I think you're right. A 2022 QB poll done there a few months ago had Rodgers as the lead option (Drew Lock was a close second at the time) so there's a hope persisting among us that he will lead us back to the Promised Land. Paton has to know that this is a huge gamble because Aaron could physically decline at any time now or choose to retire and there goes the draft capital we paid to get him. If we go the veteran route I like Wilson a little better, while drafting a QB is my top preference. Paton did well in finding talent in the last draft so perhaps his team can identify an option with elite potential in this next one. It still both galls and amazes me how KC's draft team identified Mahomes (when no one else thought he was so special) and traded up to get him. Something like this needs to happen for us.
                Yes, Rodgers is a gamble on various fronts, in terms of possibility, duration, price (salary and trade capital). But it appears there are more goofs like me in that fanbase of voters than I thought! I do think Wilson is the more conservative but respected approach, and I just am not clear on his motivation, in terms of if and where Denver fits in his favs.

The mocks so far show us drafting QBs, but less than half of the time, based on my limited research. But I see that Daniel Jeremiah's recent mock has us taking Pickett. Regardless, before the draft we will know a lot more about our situation than now of course. I do like the idea of drafting a stud, but the hit rate is not as good as one would wish, and there's often another year or more to factor in. But yeah, wouldn't it be wonderful if we hit a home run in the draft. A Mahomes or a Herbert or Burrow or one of the other almost instant successes.

I sort of kid elsewhere that many fans here are tired of anything that even smells a little "retread", because we fell for that solution too many times. And the less than wonderful QB draft picks. To the point of almost expecting a long term winner and nothing less. That attitude was not nearly as prevalent a few years ago, but the losing takes a toll. So Paton has a tall order...find a seriously good solution at QB or don't come back. I support him, but yeah, his road is not without bumps ahead and some sharp turns. Because what he might have done if he was The GM here 5 years ago is not going to appease a large % of the fanbase this time around. But he has to confidently make the decisions based on his information/support/experience, not on what folks like me think.

Comment

• I'm starting to lean towards Brian Callahan. Bring in Callahan at HC and Pep Hamilton or Ken Dorsey as OC/QBs coach. Keep Azzanni as WR, Modkins as RB, Munchack and Kuper OL.

Then try to keep most of the defensive staff together. Promote Herring to DC and keep Kollar, Pagano, Parker and Beake in the same rolls.

​​​​​​If you are asking why Herring then check out his resume. I think he's ready for the shot at DC and keeping most of the defensive staff in place would be good for the young players who overachieved last year specifically the LBs. Browning, Cooper, Griffith.

Comment

Yes, Rodgers is a gamble on various fronts, in terms of possibility, duration, price (salary and trade capital). But it appears there are more goofs like me in that fanbase of voters than I thought! I do think Wilson is the more conservative but respected approach, and I just am not clear on his motivation, in terms of if and where Denver fits in his favs.

The mocks so far show us drafting QBs, but less than half of the time, based on my limited research. But I see that Daniel Jeremiah's recent mock has us taking Pickett. Regardless, before the draft we will know a lot more about our situation than now of course. I do like the idea of drafting a stud, but the hit rate is not as good as one would wish, and there's often another year or more to factor in. But yeah, wouldn't it be wonderful if we hit a home run in the draft. A Mahomes or a Herbert or Burrow or one of the other almost instant successes.

I sort of kid elsewhere that many fans here are tired of anything that even smells a little "retread", because we fell for that solution too many times. And the less than wonderful QB draft picks. To the point of almost expecting a long term winner and nothing less. That attitude was not nearly as prevalent a few years ago, but the losing takes a toll. So Paton has a tall order...find a seriously good solution at QB or don't come back. I support him, but yeah, his road is not without bumps ahead and some sharp turns. Because what he might have done if he was The GM here 5 years ago is not going to appease a large % of the fanbase this time around. But he has to confidently make the decisions based on his information/support/experience, not on what folks like me think.
                    We got lucky with Manning because he was coming back from a neck injury and nobody knew what they were getting.....It worked out great.

With Rodgers and Wilson, the gamble is much less and will costs us dearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

We got lucky with Manning because he was coming back from a neck injury and nobody knew what they were getting.....It worked out great.

With Rodgers and Wilson, the gamble is much less and will costs us dearly.
                      There was certainly risk with Manning. It was a gamble. Reports, correct or not, stated that he could get badly hurt. Just think of how Elway had to live with that thought until we actually saw Manning get hit hard. It did in fact affect his play, as we saw in the cold weather.

Almost every decision made has some risk. Risk/reward is always a factor in the game, and in life. I always say it, those who can more accurately gauge risk/reward on every decision they make will likely do very well. Not to say a low risk endeavour can never turn into a 100% problem.

But I will always respect Elway for his handling and negotiation of the Manning signing. Similarly, I believe Tampa Bay did a great job assessing the value of Brady, at his age, and after some less than stellar years. The visionaries see things many of us don't, but what makes a visionary even more impressive, is one who has to make the decision. Therefore I appreciate the situation Paton is in, and I have a lot of confidence in him. Not saying his decision will impress me. But hey, we fans have our rights too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allen C View Post
                        I'm starting to lean towards Brian Callahan. Bring in Callahan at HC and Pep Hamilton or Ken Dorsey as OC/QBs coach. Keep Azzanni as WR, Modkins as RB, Munchack and Kuper OL.

Then try to keep most of the defensive staff together. Promote Herring to DC and keep Kollar, Pagano, Parker and Beake in the same rolls.

​​​​​​If you are asking why Herring then check out his resume. I think he's ready for the shot at DC and keeping most of the defensive staff in place would be good for the young players who overachieved last year specifically the LBs. Browning, Cooper, Griffith.
                        I’ve been pushing Callahan as a HC for a month now but he’ll likely bring his own staff.

Comment

There was certainly risk with Manning. It was a gamble. Reports, correct or not, stated that he could get badly hurt. Just think of how Elway had to live with that thought until we actually saw Manning get hit hard. It did in fact affect his play, as we saw in the cold weather.

Almost every decision made has some risk. Risk/reward is always a factor in the game, and in life. I always say it, those who can more accurately gauge risk/reward on every decision they make will likely do very well. Not to say a low risk endeavour can never turn into a 100% problem.

But I will always respect Elway for his handling and negotiation of the Manning signing. Similarly, I believe Tampa Bay did a great job assessing the value of Brady, at his age, and after some less than stellar years. The visionaries see things many of us don't, but what makes a visionary even more impressive, is one who has to make the decision. Therefore I appreciate the situation Paton is in, and I have a lot of confidence in him. Not saying his decision will impress me. But hey, we fans have our rights too.

The situations with Brady and Manning are different because they were free agents. A luxury the current Broncos don’t have.

Broncos trading for any of the most mentioned QBs costs valuable draft assets they Broncos need to improve the overall team. Then still have to pay them which will take up a large portion of the available cap space and limit the ability to revamp the roster in free agency too. Risky decision.

Going to be interesting to see how the Broncos deal with this QB issue. No doubt it is the number one question they have been asked by every one of the candidates. How they answer the question may chase some candidates away.

The new Bronco HC is going to have a tough job trying to change the losing culture into a winning one. Whether that is relying on a vet or a developing rookie has a real impact on that decision to take up the challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allen C View Post
                            I'm starting to lean towards Brian Callahan. Bring in Callahan at HC and Pep Hamilton or Ken Dorsey as OC/QBs coach. Keep Azzanni as WR, Modkins as RB, Munchack and Kuper OL.

How about making the effort to retain Ed Donatell who is the current DC?

Do you have any ideas about how to find a good STs Coordinator?
                            Last edited by samparnell; 01-22-2022, 09:59 AM. Reason: extra ?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Bieniemy or Hacket would be happy with either. Just say no to o Dan Quinn.
                              sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

The situations with Brady and Manning are different because they were free agents. A luxury the current Broncos don’t have.

Broncos trading for any of the most mentioned QBs costs valuable draft assets they Broncos need to improve the overall team. Then still have to pay them which will take up a large portion of the available cap space and limit the ability to revamp the roster in free agency too. Risky decision.

Going to be interesting to see how the Broncos deal with this QB issue. No doubt it is the number one question they have been asked by every one of the candidates. How they answer the question may chase some candidates away.

The new Bronco HC is going to have a tough job trying to change the losing culture into a winning one. Whether that is relying on a vet or a developing rookie has a real impact on that decision to take up the challenge.
                                Reality is, they are most likely going to ride with Lock and a Callahan/offense minded coach next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X