POLL: Who do you want for HC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoStampede View Post

The more I read about Hackett the more I like him. I am skeptical of his resume outside of GB and his non-playcalling role there, but I'll admit that there is a lot to like about Hackett. Besides, there are no perfect candidates, you've got pros and cons with all of them.
    His track record outside of GB is what matters. He doesn’t even call the plays in GB,

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Absolutely. QB being the hardest. In my mind it will go one of 3 ways.

1. “The Big Three” vet QBs (Wilson, Rogers, Watson). I’d personally have varied enthusiasm depending on who, but it would make for instant contention. I think this is the least likely scenario, but most attractive.

2. Mediocre/bridge vet QB (JimmyG/Cousins/Minshew). This is my least favorite option. Sure, any one of those guys is an upgrade, but it would represent the same strategy I’ve watched play out for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, I also think this is the most likely outcome.

3. Rookie QB (Pickett/Corral/Willis,etc). This is my favorite option, but lower probability. I suppose we could see a mix between this and the bridge vet scenario. I’m just to the point where I’d rather commit to a QB instead of creating another turnstile at QB. If you’re gonna go get a QB, just commit.

It’s going to be fun watching it play out.
      I prefer drafting and developing a rookie under a great OC and/or offensive HC as well, but Paton and his draft staff may determine that the rookie QB options in this draft aren't worth the ninth pick or the cost of a move up to get one of the best ones. So I agree that #2 is likely if they opt to wait a year for a stronger QB draft class. And, if that choice doesn't pan out and we have another losing season (we play a tough NFC West next year) then a new owner could hit the grand reset on all of this.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post

I prefer drafting and developing a rookie under a great OC and/or offensive HC as well, but Paton and his draft staff may determine that the rookie QB options in this draft aren't worth the ninth pick or the cost of a move up to get one of the best ones. So I agree that #2 is likely if they opt to wait a year for a stronger QB draft class. And, if that choice doesn't pan out and we have another losing season (we play a tough NFC West next year) then a new owner could hit the grand reset on all of this.
        That is a real possibility. It will be interesting watching it pan out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post
          His track record outside of GB is what matters. He doesn’t even call the plays in GB,
          Yep, and that's a big con on his resume...his OC history looks very Shurmur-esque.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Absolutely. QB being the hardest. In my mind it will go one of 3 ways.

1. “The Big Three” vet QBs (Wilson, Rogers, Watson). I’d personally have varied enthusiasm depending on who, but it would make for instant contention. I think this is the least likely scenario, but most attractive.

2. Mediocre/bridge vet QB (JimmyG/Cousins/Minshew). This is my least favorite option. Sure, any one of those guys is an upgrade, but it would represent the same strategy I’ve watched play out for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, I also think this is the most likely outcome.

3. Rookie QB (Pickett/Corral/Willis,etc). This is my favorite option, but lower probability. I suppose we could see a mix between this and the bridge vet scenario. I’m just to the point where I’d rather commit to a QB instead of creating another turnstile at QB. If you’re gonna go get a QB, just commit.

It’s going to be fun watching it play out.
            The #2 option is they roll with Lock another year.
            1. Jimmy G. Needs to be released or traded for. He’s also not going to sign a one year deal.
            2.Cousins isn’t going to sign a one year deal either.
            3. Minshew?! He’s collecting a check. He sucks. Bringing him on will get Paton fired.
            if they decide to wait until the next year to get a QB, they are not going to overpay for some useless retread. They already have a QB on contract.

Comment

Definitely Hackett with Getsy as OC. Then get a guy like Zimmer to run the defense.

Comment

The #2 option is they roll with Lock another year.
                1. Jimmy G. Needs to be released or traded for. He’s also not going to sign a one year deal.
                2.Cousins isn’t going to sign a one year deal either.
                3. Minshew?! He’s collecting a check. He sucks. Bringing him on will get Paton fired.
                if they decide to wait until the next year to get a QB, they are not going to overpay for some useless retread. They already have a QB on contract.
                I personally wouldn’t be opposed to Lock getting a shot with a decent coaching staff. I’d honestly be more interested in watching Lock another year over another retread vet. It will be fun to watch it all unfold.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                  Definitely Hackett with Getsy as OC. Then get a guy like Zimmer to run the defense.
                  Why would Getsey leave GB to follow Hackett. When he could be GBs OC. He make it a lot further career wise following LaFluers coattails.

Comment

Why would Getsey leave GB to follow Hackett. When he could be GBs OC. He make it a lot further career wise following LaFluers coattails.
                    Plus, the longer he coaches a HOF QB, the better his resume will look. Adam Gase style…
                    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Also, Denver just finished interviewing Getsy for the HC position. Doubt he comes to Denver as OC, when he got turned down for HC.
                      https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...coordinator-lu

Comment

Think Paton is in the process of hiring a Head Coach first, not an Offensive, Defensive or Special Teams Coordinator. He knows more about how this team is built than anyone, and what it would take to radically restructure it to accommodate new systems. That concern may inform the Head Coach search process. Head Coaches need to be concerned with the whole team and not micromanaging their coordinators. Assembling the best staff may be as important as the leadership qualities Paton seeks.

George S. Patton, Jr. said, "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          Think Paton is in the process of hiring a Head Coach first, not an Offensive, Defensive or Special Teams Coordinator. He knows more about how this team is built than anyone, and what it would take to radically restructure it to accommodate new systems. That concern may inform the Head Coach search process. Head Coaches need to be concerned with the whole team and not micromanaging their coordinators. Assembling the best staff may be as important as the leadership qualities Paton seeks.

George S. Patton, Jr. said, "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
                          I don’t necessarily disagree with you,but needing a QB/developing a QB is going to play a huge part in who they choose. It’s not as if we have a Matt Ryan @QB and need a HC to steady the ship. The elephant in the room is offense/QB. Their talking points aside, QB/offense is going to have a big impact on their decision making. It’s a given any HC candidate is going to have to run the whole thing not just offense or defense.

Comment

Also, Denver just finished interviewing Getsy for the HC position. Doubt he comes to Denver as OC, when he got turned down for HC.
                            https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...coordinator-lu
                            I must have missed but where does it say he got turned down?

Why wouldnt come here and be an oc?

Hackett would be hired to be the hc, not a coordinator so why would his time as an oc even matter?

Sam is correct. The question is can he be a leader? Does he have the right staff in mind who he trusts to run the offense/defense and that can develop their players
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Brian Callahan worked with three QBs in the playoffs this year.....Carr, Stafford, and Burrow (from scratch)

"Callahan, love him to death. Gosh, he helped me so much when he was the quarterback coach here," Carr said.
                              "Just sitting in his office talking about go balls or talking about this coverage or this trajectory of a throw and just studying that with him and becoming a better player. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a really, really good football coach.”

"Brian Callahan is going to be a top-flight quarterbacks coach, offensive coordinator, maybe head coach like his dad (Bill) at some point in the near future," Peyton Manning 2019

Under Callahan, Stafford led Detroit to a pair of 9-7 seasons, including directing a series of fourth-quarter comebacks to lift the Lions to the playoffs in 2016. The seasons were two of Stafford’s best across the board statistically.

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

I must have missed but where does it say he got turned down?

Why wouldnt come here and be an oc?

Hackett would be hired to be the hc, not a coordinator so why would his time as an oc even matter?

Sam is correct. The question is can he be a leader? Does he have the right staff in mind who he trusts to run the offense/defense and that can develop their players
                                Do you think we going to have all the candidates coach for us in some compacity? Nothing for Getsy gain by coming to Denver. Would he want to be OC in GB under Lafluer or in Denver with Hackett? Do you think Paton is going to hire Hackett who never has called plays that will bring Getsy in as OC, who by which also didn’t call plays either?

Comment

Working...
                                X