Hackett’s QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    If the Broncos are unable to land the marquee starting QB it is going to be another volatile season of rhetoric and QB controversy.

I have no clue of Lock is salvageable with the new system or coaching. I’m willing to accept it but not overly confident he is capable of changing the minds of so many fans that consider him a bust.

As for all the journeyman suggestions. For some reason I keep thinking of Bortles. He had success with Hackett. Might be a good vet in the room for a rookie and/ or Lock.

He is another of many floating around the league that can be signed inexpensively. Looks like he may still be under contract with the Saints. Wonder how serious they are about keeping him around. Can’t imagine it would take more then a 6th or 7th pick. If he isn’t waived.
    Right. 2017 Bortles' best season: 10-6 in sixteen starts, 60%, 3687 yards in an offense that was perfectly balanced in the regular season (50% each run/pass), 21 TDs, 13 INTs, 7 ypa. Beat the Bills and Steelers on their way to the AFCCG where they lost to the Pats 20-24. Don't forget Blake was the third guy picked in the 2014 Draft, and he is under contract to NO this year, but at what looks like league minimum. Good idea.

Hackett accomplished something in Jacksonville with Bortles. It's not outside the realm of the possible that something similar could be done with Lock. Drew might have more physical talent than Blake had then, but it's the between-the-ears processing aspect where Drew needs to connect more dots faster as well as lingering ball security issues. Some of that can be mitigated by a well devised and called, balanced offense for which Hackett has most of what he needs.

Don't be daunted by the volatility of the rhetoric during the season around here. Based on about fourteen years experience, I'd say that's pretty normal.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

You never know. Lock always had some issues with mechanics, not seeing defenders, and starting down receivers, but he always had an elite arm and could make every throw. If they decide to give him a real shot, I think it'll come down to his ability to apply what he's learned. I don't know how much we'll see guys outright schemed open like we did with Scangarello, but I think a return to that type of offense would give him that chance. An interesting analysis from his rookie year under Scangarello:

I hope everyone who sees this takes the time to watch it for a variety of reasons. You see the things that Lock struggled with in college and continued struggling with through his 2nd season. At the same time, you get a sample of what Scangarello actually brought to the table.
      It would be nice to get KJ Hamler healthy for a whole season. He only lasted three games last year, but even in Pat Shurmur's clunky offense he was always open probably because his speed commands zone. Without him, in 11 personnel with Sutton, Jeudy and Patrick, Jerry might be able to find seams the way KJ did.

Comment

You never know. Lock always had some issues with mechanics, not seeing defenders, and starting down receivers, but he always had an elite arm and could make every throw. If they decide to give him a real shot, I think it'll come down to his ability to apply what he's learned. I don't know how much we'll see guys outright schemed open like we did with Scangarello, but I think a return to that type of offense would give him that chance. An interesting analysis from his rookie year under Scangarello:

I hope everyone who sees this takes the time to watch it for a variety of reasons. You see the things that Lock struggled with in college and continued struggling with through his 2nd season. At the same time, you get a sample of what Scangarello actually brought to the table.
        If Rich Scangarello was such a amazing offensive mind as you imply here, why didn't he get even a sniff from anyone for a OC position? It would seem from what you are trying to put out there, that Rich should have went on to bigger and better things. Just curious, as you seem to think that maybe he should still be OC in Denver. I am not saying you are wrong for thinking highly of Rich, but I do find it quite interesting that no team thought highly enough of him to hand him their offense.

On Lock, I would wait and see how he fits in the system and then see which way Nate and J-O decide to go for QB. Personally, I feel Lock will win the starting job. Will be interesting to see what 3 or 4 QBs they bring in to compete with Lock for that starting job this spring and summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Are you suggesting Denver needs a QB as tall or taller than the O-Line? That's Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch territory.

Well, there's always Boot.
          Not all QBs over 6 feet can run a west coast offense but most QBs under 6 feet cannot without some kind of modification.

Comment

It would be nice to get KJ Hamler healthy for a whole season. He only lasted three games last year, but even in Pat Shurmur's clunky offense he was always open probably because his speed commands zone. Without him, in 11 personnel with Sutton, Jeudy and Patrick, Jerry might be able to find seams the way KJ did.
            Or maybe they get some insurance, because he hasn't been able to stay healthy so far. Hard to find guys that fast just chilling on the couch though.

For the record though, Rich was able to do some Shanahan-Esque things w/o KJ. I think one of the big things with Hackett has been, and likely will be his philosophy on being more run dominant which is usually beneficial to a QB as it was with Bortles.

Comment

Thanks for the link; it was very interesting. That might have been Drew's best game, so far, although there might be one or two from 2020 as well. Even though it was a good game for him, notice how many problems, concerns and flaws the scout pointed out. Drew has mechanical problems especially with his feet, but has a great arm which overcomes some of that. Makes one wonder what the result might be, if he corrected that.

In this game he was lucky several times and maybe opponents did a good job of scouting him the following year and diminished his luck. Eight of his games in 2020 were close on the scoreboard and five of those were losses, so seems like scouting him may have given opponents an edge. He didn't seem to recognize certain coverages, but he was a rookie and maybe (?) he's better at it now. He did well in Scangarello's O, Shurmur's not so much. Water under the bridge at this point. Look to the future.

Comment

• Getting Hamler back will be a big issue. How quickly he returns to previous impact and speed is important to this WR group.

Speed is something that can’t be taught. And can change a game with its impact.

Depending on how free agency and the first couple draft rounds go I would be interested in adding more to the WR room. A player like Christian Watson with the end of the 3rd or 4th perhaps? Or adding CB/ Returner Marcus Jones? Perhaps RB Jerome Ford?

Add some speed to the offensive depth. It is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

Not all QBs over 6 feet can run a west coast offense but most QBs under 6 feet cannot without some kind of modification.
                  WCO is the only one in which Russell Wilson has played and he's 104-53-1 in 158 NFL starts in the regular season plus 9-7 in the playoffs. Is he an exception to your rule?

Comment

Honestly, I had forgotten he was still a Bronco , definitely changes the offense when he's on the field. Kendall Hinton flashed a few times, Jeudy could be so much more with the right QB.

Speed Kills!
                    [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      Getting Hamler back will be a big issue. How quickly he returns to previous impact and speed is important to this WR group.

Speed is something that can’t be taught. And can change a game with its impact.

Depending on how free agency and the first couple draft rounds go I would be interested in adding more to the WR room. A player like Christian Watson with the end of the 3rd or 4th perhaps? Or adding CB/ Returner Marcus Jones? Perhaps RB Jerome Ford?

Add some speed to the offensive depth. It is needed.
                      If only we had the luxury of taking a guy like Jahan Dotson in the draft.

Comment

WCO is the only one in which Russell Wilson has played and he's 104-53-1 in 158 NFL starts in the regular season plus 9-7 in the playoffs. Is he an exception to your rule?
                        Pete Carroll had to implement some roll outs and boots but outside of that....Russell would be one of the exceptions.

Drew Brees is right at 6 feet and flourished without the boots.

Comment

Pete Carroll had to implement some roll outs and boots but outside of that....Russell would be one of the exceptions.

Drew Brees is right at 6 feet and flourished without the boots.
                          Mike Shanahan's version of WCO used Boot quite a bit as well. Hackett has referred to Outside Zone/Boot in his O.

Comment

Mike Shanahan's version of WCO used Boot quite a bit as well. Hackett has referred to Outside Zone/Boot in his O.
                            Even if he implements the OZB scheme, the short over the middle throws will need to be used a lot.

We would have to find someone mobile with a strong arm like Young, Elway, and Plummer to run it.....Oh wait, that's exactly who Shannahan had run it.

Might be the perfect offense for Lock.

Comment

Even if he implements the OZB scheme, the short over the middle throws will need to be used a lot.

We would have to find someone mobile with a strong arm like Young, Elway, and Plummer to run it.....Oh wait, that's exactly who Shannahan had run it.

Might be the perfect offense for Lock.
                              Could be. Am looking forward to seeing the new O.

Comment

Could be. Am looking forward to seeing the new O.
                                I still can't believe how Trent Green, Steve Young, and Jim Plunkett sucked in one type of scheme only to flourish in another type of scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X