Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Again, missing the point of the post to which you refer. Of course that loss was a team loss. Russell threw the interception. The play call could have been better. The defense could have played better. Game and Clock management by Pete Carroll could have been better.

Maybe I just hate the SeaChicks more than I do the Patriots. The SeaChicks did used to be division rivals. On top of that, I'm not a Russell Wilson fan. Maybe people around here hate the Patriots more. All of that might be affecting opinions about that game.

It's not just about the play call. Execution matters. Wilson failed to properly execute that throw. Cris Carter gave the explanation.
    Yes Carter did but Moss and others pointed out the failed pick, the wr be slow to run the route and the fact that NE new the play. They all said the throw was were it should have been, but the WR was slow out of the break. That's what happens when you use your number 5 wr to run a route he has never run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deandc View Post

Yes Carter did but Moss and others pointed out the failed pick, the wr be slow to run the route and the fact that NE new the play. They all said the throw was were it should have been, but the WR was slow out of the break. That's what happens when you use your number 5 wr to run a route he has never run.
      Wilson confidently made the throw he had made many times before. He took full responsibility. He didn't complain he didn't like the play call, or that his receivers failed to run their routes as designed. Which would be like a Tackle missing his block and getting a QB hit. I dont think Wilson should get zero blame, QB's alway get the credit and the blame Wilson has no problem with that. That is what you want at QB a guy that takes responsibility but isnt afraid to make a mistake.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

If D knowing the play to defend is irrelevant, there would probably never be any interceptions. Try looking at the play yourself instead of just accepting Carter's opinion without question.
        The defense wouldn't have "known" what the play was prior to the ball being snapped. They were prepared for it because that was part of their pre-game preparation. If the defense "knew" that play was coming before the ball was snapped, it's likely because they were tipped off by something someone on the offense did. For all any of us know, Wilson may have done or said something that tipped off the defense to what play was coming.

I've watched that play more than once. There is nothing that my untrained eyes saw that would lead me to exonerate Wilson from blame. Without anyone saying anything about that play, I might either blame the quarterback by default or just chalk it up to great defense by Malcolm Butler. The two facts that are indisputable are that Wilson threw the interception and that no other quarterback threw an interception from that close to the end zone that season.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Russell Wilson lost that Super Bowl to the Patriots. The Seahawks did not lose that game.

If he gets the credit, he gets the blame too.
          I doubt we are all saying he did not lose that game, along with his peers, coaches, etc. Not sure he was responsible for that call, but even so, it took an incredible play to pic that off.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Russ Wilson makes The Broncos a better team, day one. So he is a big factor in our outlook going forward. He will not win anything by himself. But his presence is so important. He brings talent, experience, leadership and positivity to a team that's been below average for going on 6 years.

So for me, he gets all the good PR, because he will be key to our success. And that includes the energy he adds to his peers, knowing they have him on their team. PLUS the potential for talented Free Agents to want to be here, because of his presence, and how he will likely improve this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Miller View Post

Wilson confidently made the throw he had made many times before. He took full responsibility. He didn't complain he didn't like the play call, or that his receivers failed to run their routes as designed. Which would be like a Tackle missing his block and getting a QB hit. I dont think Wilson should get zero blame, QB's alway get the credit and the blame Wilson has no problem with that. That is what you want at QB a guy that takes responsibility but isnt afraid to make a mistake.
            SO first I agree he took responsibility, that is what he always does. he could and had made a perfect through only for it to go off the hands of the receiver and get intercepted and he still takes the blame. Also, I am not saying he is blameless. In my opinion, he should not have trusted the play call and audibled. but I can understand why he did not too, He trusted his HC.

Comment

The defense wouldn't have "known" what the play was prior to the ball being snapped. They were prepared for it because that was part of their pre-game preparation. If the defense "knew" that play was coming before the ball was snapped, it's likely because they were tipped off by something someone on the offense did. For all any of us know, Wilson may have done or said something that tipped off the defense to what play was coming.

I've watched that play more than once. There is nothing that my untrained eyes saw that would lead me to exonerate Wilson from blame. Without anyone saying anything about that play, I might either blame the quarterback by default or just chalk it up to great defense by Malcolm Butler. The two facts that are indisputable are that Wilson threw the interception and that no other quarterback threw an interception from that close to the end zone that season.
              Okay while I don't totally agree with okay the INt was thrown so, it happens.All Qbs throw INts. So it was that close. Again SO. Is there a point to all this? Doe snot seems like it. NO other QB had the number 1 defense give up a 2-score lead in under 9 minutes in the 4th qtr of an SB either. SO the whole train of thought makes no sense.

Comment

I think most would agree it was a questionable call.....and I won't go down that slope otherwise someone might report me for getting off track.

But the call was questionable, the play was apparently reliable, and the defender/D was all over it, and made a spectacular interception.

We wouldn't be talking about Russ' pass had the right guy got the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I think most would agree it was a questionable call.....and I won't go down that slope otherwise someone might report me for getting off track.

But the call was questionable, the play was apparently reliable, and the defender/D was all over it, and made a spectacular interception.

We wouldn't be talking about Russ' pass had the right guy got the ball.
                  we would not be talking about it if the number 1 defense could hold a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go.

A HUGe thing everyone forgets is Browner was on that NE team he knew this play inside. In fact, he was the one Kearse was supposed to pick but browner is bigger and came up and beat Kearse to the pick spot.

Comment

Do you think that was the first time Seattle ran that play that year? Will guarantee NE scouted every offensive snap that season. Twins with outside receiver off. The best way for a DB to defend Slant is inside leverage which is impossible in that formation.

By lining up in Spread/Gun Seattle announced a pass play. D recognized the pick/Slant right away which is evidence of scouting. Seattle had probably used that play during the season, but not against GL defense which was another error. They needed something like Wing I maybe with a lineman as Fullback to make D bite on play action.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Do you think that was the first time Seattle ran that play that year? Will guarantee NE scouted every offensive snap that season. Twins with outside receiver off. The best way for a DB to defend Slant is inside leverage which is impossible in that formation.

By lining up in Spread/Gun Seattle announced a pass play. D recognized the pick/Slant right away which is evidence of scouting. Seattle had probably used that play during the season, but not against GL defense which was another error. They needed something like Wing I maybe with a lineman as Fullback to make D bite on play action.
                      Actually, PC said they had run that play a lot during the season. everything else you said is right. What they needed to call was a rollout and let Wilson run, Throw or throw it away. Not lock him into a timing pattern where he has to throw to a spot, using their number 5 Wr who had never run the play before and not to Browners side.

FYI Ne said they had been practicing against that play all week leading up to the game.

Comment

Actually, PC said they had run that play a lot during the season. everything else you said is right. What they needed to call was a rollout and let Wilson run, Throw or throw it away. Not lock him into a timing pattern where he has to throw to a spot, using their number 5 Wr who had never run the play before and not to Browners side.

FYI Ne said they had been practicing against that play all week leading up to the game.
                        There you go. After the play was over, the broadcasters and just about everyone else criticized the play call. 2nd & G from +1 w/1 TO, Lynch in the backfield and Seattle runs pick/slant out of Spread/Gun against GL D? SMH

Comment

There you go. After the play was over, the broadcasters and just about everyone else criticized the play call. 2nd & G from +1 w/1 TO, Lynch in the backfield and Seattle runs pick/slant out of Spread/Gun against GL D? SMH
                          Exactly it was a stupid call. You took what at that time was the most dangerous QB on the move in the league and locked him into a must throw timing pattern using your number 5 WR who never ran that pattern before and then expected a much smaller Wr to block and pick a much bigger ex Seahawk who knows the play well.
                          Last edited by Deandc; 05-19-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Exactly it was a stupid call. You took what at that time was the most dangerous QB on the move in the league and locked him into a must throw timing pattern using y Play action to theour number 5 WR who never ran that pattern before and then expected a much smaller Wr to block and pick a much bigger ex Seahawk who knows the play well.
                            The ball was on the left hash. If they had been in Wing I Right, the strength of the formation would have been on the right, NE's left. Wilson could Boot left out of the play action to the right and have X Corner, Y Drag, Wing/H Hook, R Flat available with the option to run and a TO w/two more downs, if it didn't work.

Comment

• You all are right, that SB play was the dumbest move in SB history.

They should have RUN the ball.

Don't believe the hype that one poster is feeding you: Pete Carroll loved Wilson and wanted to keep him in Seattle long after their opposite approaches to the game became apparent.

PC was soft on Wilson to a fault. He was trying to set him up for the MVP by allowing him to make the last play. The MVP was awarded to the defense the year before and if Marshawn had run it in for the win, then he also would have been considered for the MVP.

I hope that Wilson is a better fit for you guys and your system but with our defense minded PC, it was a definate clash.

Comment

The ball was on the left hash. If they had been in Wing I Right, the strength of the formation would have been on the right, NE's left. Wilson could Boot left out of the play action to the right and have X Corner, Y Drag, Wing/H Hook, R Flat available with the option to run and a TO w/two more downs, if it didn't work.
                                I agree without a doubt!!1

Comment

Working...
                                X