Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Again, missing the point of the post to which you refer. Of course that loss was a team loss. Russell threw the interception. The play call could have been better. The defense could have played better. Game and Clock management by Pete Carroll could have been better.

Maybe I just hate the SeaChicks more than I do the Patriots. The SeaChicks did used to be division rivals. On top of that, I'm not a Russell Wilson fan. Maybe people around here hate the Patriots more. All of that might be affecting opinions about that game.

It's not just about the play call. Execution matters. Wilson failed to properly execute that throw. Cris Carter gave the explanation.
    Execution does matter, but Wilson executed the play just fine. The failure to execute on that play fell on the up receiver who failed to get to his spot to run Butler out of the play. By getting stuck in place against Browner he wasn’t able to force Browner into the path to prevent Butler from taking the best and only angle to stop the play. Also the WR who was trying to catch it short armed it a bit trying to body catch it and allowed himself to get rocked back by Butler as the pass reached them. If he extends his arms and catches with his hands like every WR is taught, he likely gets his hands on the ball first and at worst it’s knocked out.

To me, based on how much ground/balance the WR lost, he wasn’t expecting contact, which is why ultimately the failure to execute on the play goes to the up WR (Kearse I believe) who got stonewalled by Browner. Because if he pushes him even a yard further than he did, Butler is running right into Browner.

About the only thing Wilson could’ve done was throw it behind his WR and hoped he adjusted, but that isn’t the play design and that’s such a quick design/read, it’s bordering on impossible to expect him to read that that quickly.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 05-19-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Execution does matter, but Wilson executed the play just fine. The failure to execute on that play fell on the up receiver who failed to get to his spot to run Butler out of the play. By getting stuck in place against Browner he wasn’t able to force Browner into the path to prevent Butler from taking the best and only angle to stop the play. Also the WR who was trying to catch it short armed it a bit trying to body catch it and allowed himself to get rocked back by Butler as the pass reached them. If he extends his arms and catches with his hands like every WR is taught, he likely gets his hands on the ball first and at worst it’s knocked out.

To me, based on how much ground/balance the WR lost, he wasn’t expecting contact, which is why ultimately the failure to execute on the play goes to the up WR (Kearse I believe) who got stonewalled by Browner. Because if he pushes him even a yard further than he did, Butler is running right into Browner.

About the only thing Wilson could’ve done was throw it behind his WR and hoped he adjusted, but that isn’t the play design and that’s such a quick design/read, it’s bordering on impossible to expect him to read that that quickly.
      Whoop there it is. Great breakdown.!! Also interestingly exactly what Moss and other said

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I think most would agree it was a questionable call.....and I won't go down that slope otherwise someone might report me for getting off track.

But the call was questionable, the play was apparently reliable, and the defender/D was all over it, and made a spectacular interception.

We wouldn't be talking about Russ' pass had the right guy got the ball.
        Or if the number 1 defense in the league could hold a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go

Comment

• Originally posted by Deandc View Post

Actually, PC said they had run that play a lot during the season. everything else you said is right. What they needed to call was a rollout and let Wilson run, Throw or throw it away. Not lock him into a timing pattern where he has to throw to a spot, using their number 5 Wr who had never run the play before and not to Browners side.

FYI Ne said they had been practicing against that play all week leading up to the game.
          We’ve been assured Wilson is elite. Odd he can’t be expected to execute a timing pass to a spot.

Comment

• https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...n-2022-outlook

“I like Denver,” Aikman said via conference call. “I expect them to have a good season, and a big part of that, of course, is because of Russell Wilson."

It didn't stop there as the Hall-of-Fame quarterback turned broadcaster put his finger on part of what makes Wilson such a reliable bet for the Broncos.

"The guy has just won," Aikman said. "He’s taken all but a couple teams to the postseason. I think he’s had one losing season. That was last year... I think the guy is a winner, and I think he’s going to win in Denver.”

"He got hit a lot, and he was looking out of the earhole of his helmet half the time after getting up after big hits and he went right back in the huddle and went right back to work," Buck said. “All these head coaches talk about availability. No one has been more available than Russell Wilson.”

“He’s just the model of consistency,” Buck said. “You start putting his numbers up, and you realize what he’s done the first decade of his career has been sensational, and you go back to his college days, the guy just wins.”

FYI he made the all-decade team

Comment

• Originally posted by Deandc View Post

Wow, he is twisted It was not that Wilson could not play the way he was accustomed it is that he could not play the way the team was built. PC built that team to play great defense, run and throw long. Guess what. The defense went away, the run game became hit and miss. and PC never adjusted. They only won as much as they did because of Wilson. Fantaztic7, Just once I wish you would at least try to say something accurate. But you don't and once again you still have not answered the simple question is Football a team sport? I will even help you yes it is. You can have the best Qb in the world and still lose if he has no support.

FYI Wilson does not need an Elite Defense he doe snot a decent one again 2015-2021 avg rank 18th. Sorry, that is not even avg.

I have posted his stats during the time period and they are exceptional. It makes the fact obvious Wilson was not the problem.

Oh and guess what since Rodgers made it to the Sb in 2010 he has not been back. In fact, since then he is 7-9

Drew Brees had a stretch of 7 years with no Sb appearance where he went 5-7

Josh Allen is 3-3 and has not even made an SB yet

It takes a team to get to and win in the playoffs, that seems to be something you just don't understand

So basically what we have is Facts against hate.

Originally posted by Deandc View Post

Or if the number 1 defense in the league could hold a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go
              “They only won as much as they did because of Wilson”

When the Seahawks won it was Wilson.

When they lost it was defense.

What happened to team?

Comment

• https://clutchpoints.com/broncos-vid...er-bowl-rival/

True to form, Wilson is already locked and loaded for next season. He’s also enlisted the help of a former Super Bowl rival of his and a Broncos legend. Russell Wilson on Twitter posted a video of him and “The Sheriff” Peyton Manning breaking down film. Talk about an insane collaboration!

Can't ask for more

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

We’ve been assured Wilson is elite. Odd he can’t be expected to execute a timing pass to a spot.
                  I want to debate.....but it's just so bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I want to debate.....but it's just so bizarre.
                    You cant debate someone who thinks Russell Wilson can't excute a timing pass 🤷‍♂️
                    sigpic

Comment

• It's amazing that one poster can keep this thread going and going and going.... like the Energizer bunny.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                        It's amazing that one poster can keep this thread going and going and going.... like the Energizer bunny.
                        Fan engagement is extremely low here. I’m not surprised that I can drive engagement, but happy to help.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                          It's amazing that one poster can keep this thread going and going and going.... like the Energizer bunny.
                          Especially when the odds are, a person who would do it is someone who is ecstatic (still) that we landed Wilson, and for the first time since the SB, we have a legit shot at being a winning team, with playoff potential. A team that people are talking about, a team that is going to be watched again...and often in prime time. A team that players across the league would definitely consider being a part of.

Yeah, I could see that.

But as you say, amazingly we are reminded that Russ Wilson is not, or probably has never been, elite. And here's the part I really don't get...I still don't understand the negativity towards Wilson, who has had a great career (already), and is such a community guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

The pass was on time and on target for what the play was. Kearse was supposed to drive his defender into Lockette’s defender. It isn’t even a timing concept anyway, it’s a rub concept as the play is essentially a vapor screen. Kearse isn’t running a route, his only job is to steer his defender into the defender guarding the WR behind him and he failed to do that. There are many plays where Wilson it at fault for the playing going south, this isn’t one of them.

If you run a bubble screen to a slot WR and the outside WR fails to wall off his CB allowing him to pick it off, the QB wont be the one getting yelled at afterwards. This is the same situation.

Comment

The pass was on time and on target for what the play was. Kearse was supposed to drive his defender into Lockette’s defender. It isn’t even a timing concept anyway, it’s a rub concept as the play is essentially a vapor screen. Kearse isn’t running a route, his only job is to steer his defender into the defender guarding the WR behind him and he failed to do that. There are many plays where Wilson it at fault for the playing going south, this isn’t one of them.

If you run a bubble screen to a slot WR and the outside WR fails to wall off his CB allowing him to pick it off, the QB wont be the one getting yelled at afterwards. This is the same situation.
                              Yeah but, what about the time, I can't remember when, Wilson scrambled and only went for 2 yards?

Or do you remember when he threw that incomplete pass??

Explain that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deandc View Post

Actually, PC said they had run that play a lot during the season. everything else you said is right. What they needed to call was a rollout and let Wilson run, Throw or throw it away. Not lock him into a timing pattern where he has to throw to a spot, using their number 5 Wr who had never run the play before and not to Browners side.

FYI Ne said they had been practicing against that play all week leading up to the game.
                                Please revisit the post that I replied to, re-posted for your convenience.

Timing is part of the play. The larger issue is the excuses for Wilson. Excuse is that he can’t perform with anything other than a number 1 receiver.

When the Seahawks won it’s because Wilson is *elite*.

When the Seahawks lost the defense let him down, O-line let him down, coaches failed and/or no way to expect him to use a number 5 receiver.

What happened to elite quarterbacks elevate everyone around them? In Wilson’s case when things don’t work it’s everyone else’s fault.

Consistent pattern from those who simp for Wilson:

Wilson was responsible when they won and zero responsibility when they lost.

Last edited by Fantaztic7; 05-20-2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X