Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Can you please quote a few of these posts directly? I want to double-check the context of these posts.

I do know an opponent of the trade that claims D.J. Jones and Eyioma Uwazurike are totally valueless and not even worthy of their inclusion in the trade. I even mentioned this to said opponent and they still refuse to even recognize their existence but we got DJ with the cap space we saved with Shelby and we spent the 4th we got in the trade on Uwazurike.

PS. I also told the opponent that I though Fant's fair market trade value was about a 3rd. Not sure how that translates into "meaningless"?
    Not wasting time pulling quotes for something you’ve already formed an opinion of trade value. In multiple posts fans dismissed the impact of sending Fant as part of the trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

tell that to the Giants (Beckham jr), Bears (Robinson), Panthers (DJ Moore), Commanders (McLaurin), Cowboys (all their WRs without Dak), Bengals (AJ Green years), Browns (Landry & Beckham), Texans (Andre Johnson years).....

Top QB play is a necessity for continuous success and chances at championships....that's just fact. Thankfully we have that now
      Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

Drew/Teddy had a well rounded group last year....how'd that turn out? Hamler wouldn't have made the difference
      The comment was that Hamler wouldn’t have made a difference that season. That would be like saying it didn’t matter at all that Jeudy was out for multiple games because the Broncos didn’t have a top quarterback.

You’re literally arguing that the Broncos should have benched a 2nd round pick (46th) as a healthy scratch the entire season because they didn’t have a “Top QB”. Imagine a head coach saying, “We have Teddy/Drew so no reason to play Hamler”.

Making a difference and winning a championship are two different things in an argument. Hamler can make a difference for an offense. No team would bench a talented receiver because they don’t have a “top quarterback” on the field.

Comment

tell that to the Giants (Beckham jr), Bears (Robinson), Panthers (DJ Moore), Commanders (McLaurin), Cowboys (all their WRs without Dak), Bengals (AJ Green years), Browns (Landry & Beckham), Texans (Andre Johnson years).....

Top QB play is a necessity for continuous success and chances at championships....that's just fact. Thankfully we have that now
        Correct. You can count on 1 hand the number of teams who had avg Qbs but great WRs that did anything in the playoffs. The fact is you need a great QB to have a real chance period. We have one now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

The comment was that Hamler wouldn’t have made a difference that season. That would be like saying it didn’t matter at all that Jeudy was out for multiple games because the Broncos didn’t have a top quarterback.

You’re literally arguing that the Broncos should have benched a 2nd round pick (46th) as a healthy scratch the entire season because they didn’t have a “Top QB”. Imagine a head coach saying, “We have Teddy/Drew so no reason to play Hamler”.

Making a difference and winning a championship are two different things in an argument. Hamler can make a difference for an offense. No team would bench a talented receiver because they don’t have a “top quarterback” on the field.
          No, I'm saying the QBs Denver had on the roster were so bad that it wouldn't have mattered if Hamler was active last season. Their talent isn't good enough to utilize the weapons at their disposal.

Sure Lock can occasionally hit a deep pass, so could Keenum. That doesn't mean they have what it takes between the ears. Wilson is elite, I don't care that you think he's too short or has lost a handful of playoff games. HE'S GETTING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

That's all we can ask for in our starting QB, get us there!! Let the coaches figure out how to out chess the other coaches. Wilson has the talent to put everything together unlike any other QB we rostered over the last 6 years. I would have been happy giving up more to get him. We now have legitimate superbowl shot and your mad about that????? Who cares what we gave up. This league is all about winning and the Seahawks will not be doing that now without Wilson

Comment

No, I'm saying the QBs Denver had on the roster were so bad that it wouldn't have mattered if Hamler was active last season. Their talent isn't good enough to utilize the weapons at their disposal.

Sure Lock can occasionally hit a deep pass, so could Keenum. That doesn't mean they have what it takes between the ears. Wilson is elite, I don't care that you think he's too short or has lost a handful of playoff games. HE'S GETTING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

That's all we can ask for in our starting QB, get us there!! Let the coaches figure out how to out chess the other coaches. Wilson has the talent to put everything together unlike any other QB we rostered over the last 6 years. I would have been happy giving up more to get him. We now have legitimate superbowl shot and your mad about that????? Who cares what we gave up. This league is all about winning and the Seahawks will not be doing that now without Wilson
            No, you said Hamler wouldn’t have made a difference.

The Broncos lost 5 games by an average of 3.8 points last season. Having Hamler the entire season gives the offense a weapon to draw a safety over the top or risk 1:1 and get burned deep. That alone improves your entire receiving group.

Broncos win 3 of 5 of those close games and you’re looking at 10-7 and likely in the playoffs. There is no legitimate argument Hamler wouldn’t have made a difference in the offense.

Comment

Also, tell that to the Seahawks who had DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett last season with Russell Wilson. How did that work out last season with arguably one of the top three wide receiver tandems and Russell Wilson?

Comment

• This thread has gone off the rails a little bit. Can't we just wait and see is Russell Wilson has a decent year and the Broncos have a winning record, and we make the playoffs hopefully.

I think we're going to play some winning football.

There's no reason to bash Russell Wilson just yet.
                Let him prove himself, before we call out the Lynch mob .

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                  This thread has gone off the rails a little bit. Can't we just wait and see is Russell Wilson has a decent year and the Broncos have a winning record, and we make the playoffs hopefully.

The Lynch mob will just want to run the ball and blame the play call when the quarterback throws an interception.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

The Lynch mob will just want to run the ball and blame the play call when the quarterback throws an interception.
                    I think if they would have ran the ball, Russell Wilson would have went back to back, beating Peyton Manning, and then Tom Brady, back to back.

And, I don't think anybody would be questioning his ability as a quarterback in the NFL, or if he was "elite" or not.
                    And he probably wouldn't have been traded to the Broncos.
                    I never liked Russell Wilson, he actually bugged me a little bit after beating us in the Super bowl, but I really think we are very fortunate to have him on our team.

RFW IS A DENVER BRONCO!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Merely improving would be what fans would expect from a mid-tier, slightly above average quarterback. If the Broncos traded a mid round pick for Matt Ryan expecting improvement would be fine. The draft capital traded was easily enough to move into position to trade for the best quarterback prospect next year or the following. The roster last year was a few dropped passes, 2-3 interceptions and a couple of fumbles in key moments with Bridgewater/Lock.

Low expectations of merely improving translate to Wilson being a mid-tier quarterback.
                      No, that doesn't really make any sense at all. The trade resulted in the Broncos immediately acquiring a franchise QB. The results of that substantial upgrade remain to be seen but it was an upgrade that had to be done, and it falls right in line with Paton going for the closest to a 'sure thing' as possible. That's what he does.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

No, that doesn't really make any sense at all. The trade resulted in the Broncos immediately acquiring a franchise QB. The results of that substantial upgrade remain to be seen but it was an upgrade that had to be done, and it falls right in line with Paton going for the closest to a 'sure thing' as possible. That's what he does.
                        On paper, the Broncos improved at the quarterback position. What happens if they still suck? Will people still be happy about the trade?

What about winning 10 games but not making the playoffs? Will the trade still be worth it?

For what they gave up, expectations are created. Not everyone is going to give Paton Brownie points for trying.

At what point does the trade not seem worth it?
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

This thread has gone off the rails a little bit. Can't we just wait and see is Russell Wilson has a decent year and the Broncos have a winning record, and we make the playoffs hopefully.

Agreed.

Lets just say, based on his credentials, 2 SB games (nearly won both), energy, community spirit, AND what most experts agree....The Broncos are a team to watch, I am not sure why all the debate. He's not perfect, of course.

Can't wait to watch our games, especially all those prime timers!

Comment

I think if they would have ran the ball, Russell Wilson would have went back to back, beating Peyton Manning, and then Tom Brady, back to back.

And, I don't think anybody would be questioning his ability as a quarterback in the NFL, or if he was "elite" or not.
                            And he probably wouldn't have been traded to the Broncos.
                            I never liked Russell Wilson, he actually bugged me a little bit after beating us in the Super bowl, but I really think we are very fortunate to have him on our team.

RFW IS A DENVER BRONCO!!!!

It would not have mattered if they won the 2nd SB or not. You need to understand when he came into the league most experts said he would not even be back up. He proved them wrong. experts don't like being wrong. Add to that there is a bias, just look at this board, about Qbs under 6 foot. No matter how well he plays that bias will always exist. Look at the Black Qb for years there was a bias about that, now while it is still there with some it is far better. People have a predisposition about things or a bias, and it's hard to change it. And before anyone say anything I am not just speaking from what I read or watch but from my own experiences. There are biases about alot. I have been knocked on for being a Vet, for being Hispanic, for being old, etc etc. The talk of the sub-6 foot QB is a bais that has existed for a long time, it will take a long time to get over.

Example 2017
                            Wilson accounted for over 85% of the total yards and over 95% of the total tds. In fact every TD but 1. He was the leading rusher. They had a winning record but missed the playoffs. Their defense was ranked 26th, run game minus Wilson 28th. Yet, some fans blamed Wilson. Even though he did something no other QB has ever done. Why did some fans blame him?

That was the narrative.

Meanwhile when someone on that board posted the same stats but said it was a 6 foot 3 Qb those same fans wanted to trade for him.

I see some of that here as well. One of the first negatives I saw was he is too short.

The reality is if he can get the job done that's all that matters. And even in his worst year, he was better than anyone Denver has had since Manning.

We will see. For me first, step a winning record. Next Playoffs.

People need to remember unlike Manning, Brady, and Stafford not only is Wilson coming to a new team, but they have a totally new coaching staff and system.

I expect barring injuries a winning record and maybe the playoffs. that is what success means this year.
                            Last edited by Peanut; 05-23-2022, 02:05 PM. Reason: Deleted sentence

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

On paper, the Broncos improved at the quarterback position. What happens if they still suck? Will people still be happy about the trade?

What about winning 10 games but not making the playoffs? Will the trade still be worth it?

For what they gave up, expectations are created. Not everyone is going to give Paton Brownie points for trying.

At what point does the trade not seem worth it?
                              I don't know, maybe it's time to sit back and relax, and watch this all unfold. I see merit in critiquing what is clearly an issue....like us not having much in the way of a QB for years. But for me, Paton made the deal most of us were hoping he would make, and here we are, with a quality starting QB. Not sure why all the wondering.

What if a meteor is coming towards us? Or our water supply all goes bad? And what to do if those aliens decide to get aggressive?

So many questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

agreed 110%

Every few days I take a look at this thread. Sometimes I do not understand what the arguments are.

Wilson is not just the best Qb we have had since not making the playoffs. That is clear. MASSIVE UPGRADE!

I think it would be easy to make a case he is the best Qb we have had INCLUDING our 2015 SB Run year.

I personally would have given more to Sea to get Wilson. We got a good deal imo
                                There are three phases to fielding a football team at any level: 1) get football players; 2) coach football players; and, 3) play football games.

Phase one is basically over. There will be a few subtractions and additions with slight possibility of another high profile acquisition. The ninety players Denver is taking to TC will pretty much be the group from which the regular season roster and practice squad will emerge.

Over a third of the TC roster is new including Russell Wilson. Only a handful of coaches remain from last year's staff, and many of this year's haven't worked together before. Consequently we don't have a clear idea of what we'll see on the field and, due to the newness, the future is the most appropriate focus of our attention.

The getting of the football players is a fait accompli at this point. Tearing the roster apart and micro-analyzing it with a critical eye at this point is akin to shouting into a whole gale wind. It is what it is. Some like it; some don't; and, some can hardly wait to see the guys in action. Count me in the last group.

Last edited by samparnell; 05-23-2022, 12:55 PM. Reason: clarification
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X