Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

On paper, the Broncos improved at the quarterback position. What happens if they still suck? Will people still be happy about the trade?

What about winning 10 games but not making the playoffs? Will the trade still be worth it?

For what they gave up, expectations are created. Not everyone is going to give Paton Brownie points for trying.

At what point does the trade not seem worth it?
    Only Wilson's play, because that's what we traded for. Anything else is foolish.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Nah. This is where you are making your mistake. Acquiring Russell Wilson upgraded the QB position. Significantly. It is reasonable to expect a significantly improved level of play from the position. It is reasonable to assume that this significantly improved level of play will lead to increased production and efficiency from our Offense. It is also reasonable to assume that this improved Offense will help us play more complimentary football, which means that this should benefit our Defense and possibly our Special Teams. Anything beyond that is pure speculation. It's fun, but it's still just speculation. Using that speculation as a guide for determining the worth of this trade is foolish. The bottom line is that George Paton has used some valuable to assets to make up for the failures of his predecessors to properly address the QB position. Doing it this way can appear costly, but sometimes that's what happens after an institutional failure as meaningful as we've been through. Time to enjoy some football for a change.
      Originally posted by listopencil View Post

No, that doesn't really make any sense at all. The trade resulted in the Broncos immediately acquiring a franchise QB. The results of that substantial upgrade remain to be seen but it was an upgrade that had to be done, and it falls right in line with Paton going for the closest to a 'sure thing' as possible. That's what he does.
      Improved, or even significantly improved play would be what to expect from acquiring Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick. If that’s what you’re expecting (your words above), Wilson is more in line with a player like Ryan.

I’m not surprised by how many accolades and high praise fans will heap on Wilson while downplaying expectations. Sounds like you want an out if he doesn’t deliver results commensurate with the label “franchise quarterback”.

Comment

• Here is the rarity in a year where he missed 3 games and played hurt for several more he was still
        top 5 in passer rating
        top 11 in TDs
        top 2 in td/int ratio
        top 5 in YPA
        1st in Tds per attempt

All while only being 25th in attempts.

All that in a run-first system with the 26th ranked pass blocking oline, 28th ranked defense

No imagine what he will do with a better pass blocking oline and in a system built for him

It happened only once in his career and then only because Lynch got hurt and came back just in time for the playoffs and a return to run at all cost, and only for about 9 games. But here is what he got

again only 483 attempts well under other top QBs
        4024 yards
        8.3 ypa
        34 tds
        8 ints
        110 passer
        68% complt
        553 yards rushing
        1 td
        Oh and his best Wr was Baldwin who would not have started on most teams

Last edited by Deandc; 05-23-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

On paper, the Broncos improved at the quarterback position. What happens if they still suck? Will people still be happy about the trade?

What about winning 10 games but not making the playoffs? Will the trade still be worth it?

For what they gave up, expectations are created. Not everyone is going to give Paton Brownie points for trying.

At what point does the trade not seem worth it?
          For me, it will be if Russ isn't signed to an extension or the team looks to replace him in the next few years.

Comment

Only Wilson's play, because that's what we traded for. Anything else is foolish.
            When you trade for a quarterback, you trade for results not individual play.

It’s the same when you sign a free agent quarterback to a big deal. I’m sure there a many Vikings fans who wish they never heard the name Kirk Cousins.

Your response sounds like something someone looking to make excuses for Wilson would say, the same way people make excuses for Rodgers.

If the results don’t manifest themselves in a way that makes the Broncos championship contenders, the trade might be considered a failure by many. It won’t necessarily be Wilson’s fault, but he will be the focus of the anger right along with Paton and possibly Hackett.
            Last edited by broncolee; 05-23-2022, 06:23 PM.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

It’s the same when you sign a free agent quarterback to a big deal. I’m sure there a many Vikings fans who wish they never heard the name Kirk Cousins.

Your response sounds like something someone looking to make excuses for Wilson the same way people make excuses for Rodgers.

If the results don’t manifest themselves in a way that makes the Broncos championship contenders, the trade might be considered a failure by many. It won’t necessarily be Wilson’s fault, but he will be the focus of the anger right along with Paton and possibly Hackett.
              Again

First a winning season
              Then Playoffs
              then SB

Walk before you run

New QB, new Coaching, and a New system do take some time.

We have already seen some pluses Ie hey we have a lot of national games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Improved, or even significantly improved play would be what to expect from acquiring Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick. If that’s what you’re expecting (your words above), Wilson is more in line with a player like Ryan.

I’m not surprised by how many accolades and high praise fans will heap on Wilson while downplaying expectations. Sounds like you want an out if he doesn’t deliver results commensurate with the label “franchise quarterback”.
                No, and no. Once again, we got what we traded for.

Comment

Your response sounds like something someone looking to make excuses for Wilson would say, the same way people make excuses for Rodgers.

My response is a reflection of my realistic attitude towards the situation. We got what we traded for.

Comment

• Here is the reality. No matter what happens some will not be happy. We could win 3 straight SBs with Wilson and some would not be happy. Some in here have already made his height an issue so that tells yoy alot.

All that said, the FACTS are we are still better at QB now then we were.

Comment

My response is a reflection of my realistic attitude towards the situation. We got what we traded for.
                      If all the Broncos did was trade for Wilson so they could say he’s on their team, they gave up way too much.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• If he plays well for 4 or 5 years it will be worth it for me, if he doesn't, it won't be in my opinion. But it doesn't matter, because it's a done deal.
                        I am optimistic things will be good!

Comment

If all the Broncos did was trade for Wilson so they could say he’s on their team, they gave up way too much.
                          That isn't what I said, though, is it? If you're going to mischaracterize then there really is no reason to continue the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                            If he plays well for 4 or 5 years it will be worth it for me, if he doesn't, it won't be in my opinion. But it doesn't matter, because it's a done deal.
                            I am optimistic things will be good!

The difficult time with Russ is a year off when the negotiations for his contract extension will be in full steam-ahead mode. If you haven't heard, his agent is a full-time MLB agent that has been championing a fully guaranteed contract for the past decade like the one Deshaun Watson got from CLE. And Russ will likely not settle for less than being the highest paid QB in the league.

It's going to be expensive. High risk, high reward? Time will tell.
                            "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

• Just to give you an idea of how petty and stupid most Hawks fans are they want him to do what he has been doing the last 2 years.

First the year before he was injured so 2 years ago they were 12-4

That said his avg over the last 2 years keep in mind he missed 3 games
                              66.8 Complt% - 3rd in the nfl
                              32 tds -9th in the nfl
                              9 ints - 95th in the nfl thats good
                              3.55 td/int- 3rd in the nfl
                              104 passer - this would be 3rd in the NFL
                              7.8 ypa- 5th in the nfl
                              3600 yards 18th in the nfl
                              479 attempts So way less than the other top Qbs in fact 20th in the NFL

348 rushing yards
                              2 tds

Comment

• Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post

The difficult time with Russ is a year off when the negotiations for his contract extension will be in full steam-ahead mode. If you haven't heard, his agent is a full-time MLB agent that has been championing a fully guaranteed contract for the past decade like the one Deshaun Watson got from CLE. And Russ will likely not settle for less than being the highest paid QB in the league.

It's going to be expensive. High risk, high reward? Time will tell.
                                5/250 million, 250 guaranteed?

Comment

Working...
                                X