No announcement yet.

Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting to argue about what defines a trend doesn’t change the fact that Russell Wilson hasn’t advanced past the division playoffs since 2015. Some fans like to point out the 9-7 playoff record, but the majority of those wins were early in his career with a dominant defense and running game. Since 2015 the trend is losing in the playoffs. Doesn’t matter whether you call it a trend, pattern, direction or not - he didn’t lead his team past the division round since 2015.

Pointing this out doesn’t mean he can’t get past the division playoffs.

I see a lot of comments about Wilson being elite and all the success he’s had. But when it comes to the Broncos, “He’ll make the team better and hopefully we have success”.

Shouldn’t an “elite” quarterback do a little more than just make the Broncos a little better? Trevor Siemian led the Broncos to a 9-7 season, a game or two shy of the playoffs. If an “elite” quarterback doesn’t far exceed Trevor Siemian in his first season, the trade was hardly worth it.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 07-09-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
      Not this year, but a SB appearance at the least is required in the next 4-5 years I understand the thought of not trying to get your expectations too high,but the fact is you don’t trade away all those assets, along with the mega contract that you’re going to give RW just to make the playoffs.
      You can't point and click the Super bowl championship. That's the ultimate goal, We just have to put the pieces in position and hope for the best.

Even with giving up all the assets, there's no guarantees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        Attempting to argue about what defines a trend doesn’t change the fact that Russell Wilson hasn’t advanced past the division playoffs since 2015. Some fans like to point out the 9-7 playoff record, but the majority of those wins were early in his career with a dominant defense and running game. Since 2015 the trend is losing in the playoffs. Doesn’t matter whether you call it a trend, pattern, direction or not - he didn’t lead his team past the division round since 2015.

Pointing this out doesn’t mean he can’t get past the division playoffs.

I see a lot of comments about Wilson being elite and all the success he’s had. But when it comes to the Broncos, “He’ll make the team better and hopefully we have success”.

Shouldn’t an “elite” quarterback do a little more than just make the Broncos a little better? Trevor Siemian led the Broncos to a 9-7 season, a game or two shy of the playoffs. If an “elite” quarterback doesn’t far exceed Trevor Siemian in his first season, the trade was hardly worth it.
        If you had posted this, like a gazillion posts ago, I may not have agreed to a high degree, but it would probably have cut this thread in half.

Comment

• Nathaniel Hackett was named HC in January and his staff was in place by February.

The Russell Wilson trade occurred in March, early in the first phase (i.e., get football players) of fielding a football team, and that process concluded with the signing of undrafted college free agents in early May.

After that, the second phase (i.e., coach football players) of fielding a football team began in earnest, short of contact, and concluded in mid-June having installed new systems in the three phases of the game (i.e., O, D, ST) Around that time, a purchase agreement was reached by which Rob Walton and partners will acquire the Denver Broncos pending league approval.

On that note of almost complete newness, the players began their Summer Break before TC at which time life for coaches and players outside of football pretty much comes to an end until the season is over.

TC will begin in a little over two weeks and, during that time, Russell Wilson will host teammates at his SoCal facility, so that they will begin TC sharp and focused.

TC will be a continuation of phase two of fielding a football team with the addition of full contact which is so important for preparing and conditioning the linemen. It won't be until then that the coaches will start to see where everyone lines up.

The Broncos will practice with the Cowboys prior to embarking on the third phase of fielding a football team (i.e., play football games) Preseason games aren't exactly games as much as they are controlled scrimmages usually between first, second and third team O & D with lots of guys given the opportunity to excel on STs.

We hope that some members of this message board will be able to attend TC practice sessions and post reports. Practice and preseason games/scrimmages will give a glimpse and a hint of how the team will look starting on 12 September. Until then, all we have had is using the past to inform how each of us thinks the team will look this season.

The Russell Wilson trade is a four month old fait accompli. Regardless of what any coaches and players may have done in the past, what we will see when the Broncos take the field will be new. That will be a great time and will provide more substance to our conversations. BLAM! BLAM!
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

You can't point and click the Super bowl championship. That's the ultimate goal, We just have to put the pieces in position and hope for the best.

Even with giving up all the assets, there's no guarantees.

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."

- Lu Xun (Chinese writer) 1921.

Hope for a great Broncos season.

Comment

The Broncos went 9-7 in 2016 with Trevor Siemian, for third place in the AFC West. Trevor Siemian took us from 12-4 SuperBowl Champions to 9-7 and missing the playoffs. So, Trevor Siemian was good for negative three wins and negative three playoff games in 2016. So, for Russell Wilson to do better by your own metric he'd have to manage better than negative three wins and negative three playoff games. Yup. I think he can get us those five wins you crave. I don't know if he can manage negative two playoff games. I guess we'll see.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• The choices were Wilson or a combination of Lock/Teddy/Journeyman. Are there people who honestly think that the Lock/Teddy/Journeyman combo would have been a better solution for success this season and going forward? Please explain that logic if you do believe that.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

The Broncos went 9-7 in 2016 with Trevor Siemian, for third place in the AFC West. Trevor Siemian took us from 12-4 SuperBowl Champions to 9-7 and missing the playoffs. So, Trevor Siemian was good for negative three wins and negative three playoff games in 2016. So, for Russell Wilson to do better by your own metric he'd have to manage better than negative three wins and negative three playoff games. Yup. I think he can get us those five wins you crave. I don't know if he can manage negative two playoff games. I guess we'll see.
                  With 3 wins and 5 losses in the last 8 playoff games Russ is *checks notes* negative two playoff games since 2015.

Comment

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."

- Lu Xun (Chinese writer) 1921.

Hope for a great Broncos season.
                    There is zero guarantee that the draft choices that we traded away for Wilson would amount to anything. Trading "what might be", for "what is", is often a better idea than going with "well, this *might* make us a better team", over "well, this *will* make us a better team"
                    sigpic

Comment

With 3 wins and 5 losses in the last 8 playoff games Russ is *checks notes* negative two playoff games since 2015.
                      Cool, glad you agree that he is already better than Siemian. Moving on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7

Russell Wilson and Trevor Siemian each have a Super Bowl ring. Unless Russ can win another he’s no better.
                        Is Trevor is as good a QB as Wilson?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

There is zero guarantee that the draft choices that we traded away for Wilson would amount to anything. Trading "what might be", for "what is", is often a better idea than going with "well, this *might* make us a better team", over "well, this *will* make us a better team"
                          Russell Wilson could be injured in a pre-season game and miss the entire season. There’s zero guarantee he will amount to anything.

Comment

They’re both Super Bowl champions. Until Wilson delivers better results than Trevor with the Broncos, I don’t see him as a better quarterback.
                            I note you didnt answer the question.
                            sigpic

Comment

• “My goal is to play 10 or 12 more years and hopefully win three or four more Super Bowls. That’s the plan,” Wilson said. “That’s the mindset. That’s why I came here, to finish my career here and hopefully finish on top as a champion. And do it multiple times.”

- Russell Wilson

Wilson’s goal in his own words is winning championships (not being better than the previous quarterbacks, stats, or regular season wins).

Based on his measurement of success he’s at least in the same category as Trevor Siemian.

Comment

Russell Wilson and Trevor Siemian each have a Super Bowl ring. Unless Russ can win another he’s no better.
                                Huh. All QB's who have a SB ring are equal? Did you put any thought into this at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X