Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Russell's production at the QB position has been fairly consistent during the past decade. There have been glimpses and hints about the new Hackett/Wilson offense. The season will open the curtains for a full, and probably continuously unfolding system.

Ranking pro football players is a popular pastime among fans of the game. QBs all played in different systems at different times with different teammates of various talents. It is possible Russell has more support from teammates and coaches than previous Denver QBs. Time will tell.

The additions George Paton made to the roster have contributed to what seems a young, deep and talented roster. Russell's talents may be the key to success this year and going forward. Hackett and staff seem a promising and enthusiastic breath of fresh air. We shall see.

Elway was 2-3 in Super Bowls as a Bronco; Peyton was 1-1. Let's see what happens during the Wilson era. Even if Russell led Denver to more championships than his predecessors, comparisons would still be apples/oranges, because they are all different kinds of guys, athletes and quarterbacks.

I also think fans put too much value in championships, as there are too many variables. Would Elway have been a worse QB if he didn't have the supporting team needed to finally win 2 rings? Not IMO. I disagree about apples and oranges as all are QBs but agree these opinions are subjective. I have zero problem with someone saying that Elway and Manning were both better than Steve Ramsey, even if they all played in different eras with different coaches and players.

A big difference between Russ and Elway/Manning is both Elway and Manning were considered (by most reasonable people) to be the best QBs in the AFCW during their entire careers here. Russ is typically rated as the 2 or 3 QB in the AFCW. None of the QBs in Broncos history has faced the quality of opposing QBs that Russ will have to face.

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

I also think fans put too much value in championships, as there are too many variables. Would Elway have been a worse QB if he didn't have the supporting team needed to finally win 2 rings? Not IMO. I disagree about apples and oranges as all are QBs but agree these opinions are subjective. I have zero problem with someone saying that Elway and Manning were both better than Steve Ramsey, even if they all played in different eras with different coaches and players.

A big difference between Russ and Elway/Manning is both Elway and Manning were considered (by most reasonable people) to be the best QBs in the AFCW during their entire careers here. Russ is typically rated as the 2 or 3 QB in the AFCW. None of the QBs in Broncos history has faced the quality of opposing QBs that Russ will have to face.
      That's right. Outside the division Denver will face Stafford, Murray, Ryan, Tannehill and Jackson which doesn't seem quite as challenging as facing Mahomes, Herbert and Carr twice each.

Then there's the other AFC QBs Denver doesn't face in the regular season: Allen, Tua, Burrow and, eventually, Watson. Might see one or more of them in the playoffs, if Denver gets there.

The AFC is QB rich. Be interesting to see which AFC defenses rise to the top.

In the late Sixties, Denver faced Len Dawson, Daryle Lamonica and John Hadl in the Division and Jack Kemp, Bob Griese and Joe Namath in the other AFL Division. That was a pretty good group of opposing QBs, too.
      Last edited by samparnell; 08-01-2022, 02:51 PM. Reason: addendum
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Manning and Elway are on pretty much everyone's list of top 5 QBs of all time. I think it's unreasonable for us to expect Russ to be on their level. My hopes are that Russ will be regarded as the 3rd best QB in Broncos history, ahead of Dr. Charley Johnson, Morton and Plummer when all is said and done.
        Rus is already one of four qbs with career passing rating over 100. Only Rodgers and him have done it for 10+ years. He is next level good and he is consistent good.

I know KC fans who were still doubting Mahomes when the rest of the world had crowned him best qb in this era with Rodgers and Brady. Some fans just hesitant to enjoy a good thing when they got it. Specially when there is history of disappointment.
        Let's Ride!

Comment

• https://denverfan.com/2099612/its-ti...h-the-broncos/

Comment

• There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Wilson will perform to a legitimate starter level at minimum. I’m excited to have a quality QB and I’m very enthusiastic about the upcoming season. We shall see how the chips fall, but I highly doubt Wilson will be a disappointment.

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
              There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Wilson will perform to a legitimate starter level at minimum. I’m excited to have a quality QB and I’m very enthusiastic about the upcoming season. We shall see how the chips fall, but I highly doubt Wilson will be a disappointment.
              Lifetime Seahawks fan here but born and still have roots in Denver. Grew up watching good old AFC West battles in the 80s. Still consider Elway my all time favorite quarterback and loved watching him play as a kid.

Unfortunately ultimately he will be a disappointment for you all sorry to say. You will soon find out that Russ is more interested in being a celebrity/marketer/influencer that happens to moonlight as an NFL quarterback. Dude has a HUGE posse that works round the clock to manage his (and Ciara's for that matter) image and brand as cringe as it may be. I am in no way saying this to hate on him as he was great for Seattle and has done so many awesome things for the community as I'm sure he will continue in Denver as well. It's just a lot of his antics are so clearly and cleverly marketed and trust me it will get old fast. Especially when he and his agent start their bag of tricks next off-season as he tries to gobble up about 25% of the team's payroll on his next contract. You can kiss any chance of a Super Bowl goodbye if your front office makes that decision so hope you guys make a big run this year otherwise you're in for a long long drought.

In addition, his performance on the field has clearly degraded in the past 2-3 years and doesn't have the hunger he used to now that he's more interested in other things. I've been to several practices in all of his training camps. Although he can still throw a beautiful, long sideline ball.. he's heavier, lost a step, not as elusive and has real difficulty finding open receivers between the hashes. Hopefully all the talent you have in your receiver core can make up for his deficiencies.

Wishing the best for this year though... you will definitely enjoy your season far more than ours!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawks_Lets_Ride View Post

Lifetime Seahawks fan here but born and still have roots in Denver. Grew up watching good old AFC West battles in the 80s. Still consider Elway my all time favorite quarterback and loved watching him play as a kid.

Unfortunately ultimately he will be a disappointment for you all sorry to say. You will soon find out that Russ is more interested in being a celebrity/marketer/influencer that happens to moonlight as an NFL quarterback. Dude has a HUGE posse that works round the clock to manage his (and Ciara's for that matter) image and brand as cringe as it may be. I am in no way saying this to hate on him as he was great for Seattle and has done so many awesome things for the community as I'm sure he will continue in Denver as well. It's just a lot of his antics are so clearly and cleverly marketed and trust me it will get old fast. Especially when he and his agent start their bag of tricks next off-season as he tries to gobble up about 25% of the team's payroll on his next contract. You can kiss any chance of a Super Bowl goodbye if your front office makes that decision so hope you guys make a big run this year otherwise you're in for a long long drought.

In addition, his performance on the field has clearly degraded in the past 2-3 years and doesn't have the hunger he used to now that he's more interested in other things. I've been to several practices in all of his training camps. Although he can still throw a beautiful, long sideline ball.. he's heavier, lost a step, not as elusive and has real difficulty finding open receivers between the hashes. Hopefully all the talent you have in your receiver core can make up for his deficiencies.

Wishing the best for this year though... you will definitely enjoy your season far more than ours!
                All I can say is .....we'll see

Comment

• Yeah. I don’t give 2 rips about a guy’s personality flaws or ego. Most superstar athletes have gigantic egos. Who cares. He’s certainly not a cancer / head case and he’s a legit top tier QB. As I always say, the games remain to be played, but I’m expecting far better offense than I’ve suffered through for the last 6 years. I’m quite happy we landed Wilson and I plan to enjoy a decent season.

Comment

This post wreaks of sour grapes.

Comment

Yeah. I don’t give 2 rips about a guy’s personality flaws or ego. Most superstar athletes have gigantic egos. Who cares. He’s certainly not a cancer / head case and he’s a legit top tier QB. As I always say, the games remain to be played, but I’m expecting far better offense than I’ve suffered through for the last 6 years. I’m quite happy we landed Wilson and I plan to enjoy a decent season.

? % !! It will be a Great Ride this Year For Sure !!

Comment

This post wreaks of sour grapes.
                        Wreaks? lmao.. you mean reeks? No way.. Broncos are my second favorite team and I'm rooting for you guys this year because we are tanking and angling for a high pick next year. I'm personally happy our front office made the decision to not overpay for him. Best of luck but the truth is the truth and you will all see one day I'll come back and check in when that time comes... until then!

PS - Sorry to hear about Patrick.. that sucks.

Comment

Wreaks? lmao.. you mean reeks? No way.. Broncos are my second favorite team and I'm rooting for you guys this year because we are tanking and angling for a high pick next year. I'm personally happy our front office made the decision to not overpay for him. Best of luck but the truth is the truth and you will all see one day I'll come back and check in when that time comes... until then!

PS - Sorry to hear about Patrick.. that sucks.
                          Haha. Yeah, you caught my typo. We shall see how it plays out. I’m still happy to have a decent QB.

Comment

I dont give a hoot about anything he does, as long as he delivers quality qb play on the field.

Honestly, unless he gets arrested for something, the rest just isnt important.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Honestly, unless he gets arrested for something, the rest just isnt important.[/QUOTE]

As long as they don't find him with a dead prostitute, (wearing a Raiders jersey) and a bag of Coke in a Las Vegas hotel room anything else is okay with me!

Comment

• Why can’t two things be true?

I can be thrilled with the leader and player in Wilson but equally annoyed by the endless self promotion and “look at me” celebrity moments.

Both are all part of the same package with Wilson.

Another thing that is becoming tiresome is our new member that seems to be working for Wilson’s media department that responds to every perceived slight to the brand with over the top counter comments.

Can not wait until we start seeing some actual Bronco performances to glorify or criticize. Or perhaps both in the same game.

Comment

Working...
                                X