Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

Not really true. Wilson wanted input into the offense and Pete Carroll and his son laughed at him at an offensive team meeting. They opened it up for Wilson the one year they had 12 wins and made the playoffs, then went back to their style and missed the playoffs. Wilson had 40 tds that year and took 47 sacks. Ran for his life in the playoffs against the Rams. But they at least made the playoffs.

Go back to the Pete Carroll style of offense and you get what they had last season.
    Very true, Pete Carroll bent over backwards coddling RW. That Pete Carroll “offense” got Seattle 2 SB appearances..

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
      Very true, Pete Carroll bent over backwards coddling RW. That Pete Carroll “offense” got Seattle 2 SB appearances..
      Pete Carroll doesn't have an offense, he's a defensive HC. His offense coordinators the last few years have been Brian Schottenheimer and last year Shane Waldron (who will fired after this season). Can you blame him for wanting input with those OCs?

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

Pete Carroll doesn't have an offense, he's a defensive HC. His offense coordinators the last few years have been Brian Schottenheimer and last year Shane Waldron (who will fired after this season). Can you blame him for wanting input with those OCs?
        My point apparently went over your head. Running the ball, great defense is what the winning formula was those 2 SBs. The team identity that got Seattle to 2 SBs was built by Pete Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus View Post
          My point apparently went over your head. Running the ball, great defense is what the winning formula was those 2 SBs. The team identity that got Seattle to 2 SBs was built by Pete Carroll
          No, it didn't go over my head. Wilson wasn't happy with the way the offense has been running. He wanted a say in how it should be moving to. Pete ball is a broken system because he didn't have the moving parts to make it work. You could say "because Wilson got paid they couldn't afford said players".... or you could say Pete has been drafting poorly and has lost his touch. Either way they haven't been able to get back to the promise land and we'll find who was right.....

Comment

No, it didn't go over my head. Wilson wasn't happy with the way the offense has been running. He wanted a say in how it should be moving to. Pete ball is a broken system because he didn't have the moving parts to make it work. You could say "because Wilson got paid they couldn't afford said players".... or you could say Pete has been drafting poorly and has lost his touch. Either way they haven't been able to get back to the promise land and we'll find who was right.....
            If you mean who’s right between Carroll and Wilson, we may never know.

The Broncos aren’t bereft of talent on either side of the ball.

It wasn’t really Wilson’s place to demand a say in the offense.

Maybe the coaches could have done a better job of adjusting to the talent on the team.

That being said, I have little faith in the Broncos succeeding if they don’t run a balanced offense. If they run a balanced offense, they can do great things.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Maybe the coaches could have done a better job of adjusting to the talent on the team.

That being said, I have little faith in the Broncos succeeding if they don’t run a balanced offense. If they run a balanced offense, they can do great things.
              Not too sure about that. Does not seem wise to tell a veteran QB in the NFL to shut up and learn the playbook and follow the game plan and run what is called with no input whatsoever. Pete Carroll enjoyed his greatest success at the college level and that's the way QBs are treated there. Pro football players are different.

Elway's first coach was Dan Reeves, a Tom Landry guy, who are pretty authoritarian when it comes to QB treatment. Think he enjoyed more input under Mike Shanahan in spite of the strictness of WCO as taught/coached/called by Bill Walsh. In his heyday at Indy, Peyton Manning had maximum input to the extent that he basically called the plays in a low-volume offense pre-snap during the 40 second play clock. Have a feeling one of the reasons Tom Brady left New England was to get away from Belichick's my-way-or-the-highway approach to coaching which applies to players and assistants alike. Terry Bradshaw called his own plays as did Bart Starr even in Lombardi's low-volume offense with heavy emphasis on execution.

Nate Hackett and Russell Wilson are collaborating/concocting an offense which we will soon see on the field. Hackett seems to have a genuine belief that football players will perform at their best, when you let them play football. There seems no way Russell was going to be given much, if any, input into the offense, game plan or play calls in Seattle.

Agree about balanced offense of which I'm an advocate. By NFL standards a balanced O is 55/45 either way and in between by season's end. It wouldn't be smart not to take advantage of an opponent's weak pass defense or run defense which could stray beyond the bounds of 55/45 in one game. Aside from that possibility for a game or two, fully expect a viable rushing attack with plenty of PAP. Seriously doubt if Russell would be comfortable with a pass heavy pocket attack. When he is under Center, expect to see him Boot away from the meshpoint each time Wide Zone is run. That will most likely be the bread and butter of this O. The complement to a viable rushing attack is a vertical passing attack. Sounds like that will be in evidence when we have something to observe.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Not too sure about that. Does not seem wise to tell a veteran QB in the NFL to shut up and learn the playbook and follow the game plan and run what is called with no input whatsoever. Pete Carroll enjoyed his greatest success at the college level and that's the way QBs are treated there. Pro football players are different.

Elway's first coach was Dan Reeves, a Tom Landry guy, who are pretty authoritarian when it comes to QB treatment. Think he enjoyed more input under Mike Shanahan in spite of the strictness of WCO as taught/coached/called by Bill Walsh. In his heyday at Indy, Peyton Manning had maximum input to the extent that he basically called the plays in a low-volume offense pre-snap during the 40 second play clock. Have a feeling one of the reasons Tom Brady left New England was to get away from Belichick's my-way-or-the-highway approach to coaching which applies to players and assistants alike. Terry Bradshaw called his own plays as did Bart Starr even in Lombardi's low-volume offense with heavy emphasis on execution.

Nate Hackett and Russell Wilson are collaborating/concocting an offense which we will soon see on the field. Hackett seems to have a genuine belief that football players will perform at their best, when you let them play football. There seems no way Russell was going to be given much, if any, input into the offense, game plan or play calls in Seattle.

Agree about balanced offense of which I'm an advocate. By NFL standards a balanced O is 55/45 either way and in between by season's end. It wouldn't be smart not to take advantage of an opponent's weak pass defense or run defense which could stray beyond the bounds of 55/45 in one game. Aside from that possibility for a game or two, fully expect a viable rushing attack with plenty of PAP. Seriously doubt if Russell would be comfortable with a pass heavy pocket attack. When he is under Center, expect to see him Boot away from the meshpoint each time Wide Zone is run. That will most likely be the bread and butter of this O. The complement to a viable rushing attack is a vertical passing attack. Sounds like that will be in evidence when we have something to observe.
                I’m fine with the quarterback having input. I don’t think he’s entitled to it. Some coaches are more strict about the hierarchy. If that’s how the coach operates, then the quarterback just needs to shut up and do his job.

When push came to shove, Brady tried to force Bruce Arians to play the way Belichick had him playing in New England. They found a happy median and won a Super Bowl.

Elway was great playing with Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan. Reeves made the mistake of thinking Elway was the reason for not winning the Super Bowl and tried to trade him.

We’ll see if Wilson can maintain a high level of performance with a new coach and offensive philosophy.
                Last edited by broncolee; 08-10-2022, 12:18 PM.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

I'm not saying at all that I want Russ to air it out every game. Right now, Javonte Williams is my favorite player and the one I am most excited for. Denver run game is going to be among the leagues best. But, there are going to be games where we will need Russ to throw it 40+ times and those games are the why we traded for Russ in the 1st place. If we relied on Teddy or Drew in those games we already lost.

Comment

I'm not saying at all that I want Russ to air it out every game. Right now, Javonte Williams is my favorite player and the one I am most excited for. Denver run game is going to be among the leagues best. But, there are going to be games where we will need Russ to throw it 40+ times and those games are the why we traded for Russ in the 1st place. If we relied on Teddy or Drew in those games we already lost.
                    Exactly! We got Russ Wilson for many reasons, one being his ability to pass the ball with some accuracy, and as often as we need to employ the pass game. I've written about this, but we may see him throw, throw, throw, some games...because he can, because we have good receivers, and because it's the right game plan. Just like a run game helps your pass game, so does that work in reverse. And based on the era we've gone through, on the losing side of the ledger, it's high time we put down some good offensive numbers, on the ground and in the air. Control the clock, Control the scoreboard. Keep our D off the field. Get W's.

It's all good!

Comment

The formula was not run and play great defense. It was run, plsy defense, keep it close and then unleash Wilson. The problem is starting in 2015 PC did not have the pieces to run that, and he refused to adjust.

Comment

• Carroll is just Dan Reeves II.

Elway wanted to throw it around the yard also.
                        sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Deandc View Post

The formula was not run and play great defense. It was run, plsy defense, keep it close and then unleash Wilson. The problem is starting in 2015 PC did not have the pieces to run that, and he refused to adjust.
                          How much is RW paying you?

Comment

• Russell is going to have the best year of his life. He has to validate his worth. He is going to want $51M a year and if he doesn't get at least 1 playoff win this year, it will be tough to get. He holds all the cards though. What is the organization going to do. Trade all those picks and players for a 1 year rental?? He is also doing and saying all the right things to get that huge contract. I call it the "Von Miller Playbook". Remember Von saying all the "I want to be a Bronco for life" stuff. Then he got paid using media and fan pressure on the organization and then vanished and would reappear once every 4th game vs the jets or jags. I am excited for Wilson and what he can bring to a team that is a QB short of being great, but he is already doing the in front of camera stuff that spells trouble.
                            I find his rah-rah stuff annoying but I think that stuff is real. Don't fall for the Seahawks fans salty posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by donnyrides View Post
                              Russell is going to have the best year of his life. He has to validate his worth. He is going to want $51M a year and if he doesn't get at least 1 playoff win this year, it will be tough to get. He holds all the cards though. What is the organization going to do. Trade all those picks and players for a 1 year rental?? He is also doing and saying all the right things to get that huge contract. I call it the "Von Miller Playbook". Remember Von saying all the "I want to be a Bronco for life" stuff. Then he got paid using media and fan pressure on the organization and then vanished and would reappear once every 4th game vs the jets or jags. I am excited for Wilson and what he can bring to a team that is a QB short of being great, but he is already doing the in front of camera stuff that spells trouble.
                              I find his rah-rah stuff annoying but I think that stuff is real. Don't fall for the Seahawks fans salty posts.
                              No matter what he's here for a few years.....franchise tag. They'll get a deal done, I don't think it'll get to that but he's here for far more than one year, that's a guarantee

Comment

• I think there's two years left on his contract? So he's at least playing two seasons and then the franchise tag or extension.
                                I think he's going to get 5 years/250 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X