Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

While I understand Hackett’s logic, I do disagree with it. Having extra padded practices has dwindling benefits over time, as guys are just going to get used to the guys they see in practice everyday. I was never great, couldn’t even crack the edge rotation in high school due to the talent we had with our pass rushers, but I would outplay them in practice constantly just because I knew the QB’s cadence, I knew the offense’s plays, and I knew what each olinemen they had couldn’t block effectively.

I think it hurts the trenches more than any group as they aren’t dealing with physicality from an opposing team where they don’t quite understand their schemes and tells as much as they do their own teammates. Add in that some guys probably get a tad complacent and expect the physicality to be the same or at least similar to what they’re seeing in practice and I think it’s a recipe for disaster. That’s why I haven’t been surprised to see our trench play so poorly in these preseason games. It was a bit hit or miss against Dallas because of the scrimmages that helped them prepare IMO, but it really fell apart against Buffalo. I expect us to struggle out the gate with our line play on both sides, they’ll probably start to get around the midpoint of the season however, I just hope it doesn’t cost us early. Guys will still make some flash plays though and hopefully that’s enough to
    sustain us until they start functioning well as a unit.

I could also be totally wrong and they can come out strong against 2 rather weak teams in Houston and Seattle and be all the way ramped up for week 3.
    I am not as concerend. For one we don't know in what way they were raggedy. Was it oline, was it rbs, was it play execution, was it Wr, was it QB? Also given how well they played against Dallas on the Thursday 2 weeks ago with all the starters playing on both sides I am not as concered.

Also, we have more time, and given this is the only really bad practice I have heard about I am not too concerned every team has a bad practice or two

Comment

• It appears we made the right decision to get us a big league QB. Geno Smith is the starter for Seattle, and it didn't help that Lock threw 3 pics last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fd3cdeba51e5ffcb9ec836b849e9a9ff.gif
Views:	412
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	8422860

Comment

• I wonder how much influence Russell Wilson will have in the final WR selections after tonights game?

Comment

• Originally posted by mark222b View Post
          I wonder how much influence Russell Wilson will have in the final WR selections after tonights game?
          I'm guessing not if at all. I'm betting coaches already know. Washington will make it for sure because of his return abilities. They will have to figure which 2 of Virgil, Johnson, Williams and Hinton will make it. I'm guessing they roster 6 which would be Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Washington, and my guess is Hinton and Virgil.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I'm guessing not if at all. I'm betting coaches already know. Washington will make it for sure because of his return abilities. They will have to figure which 2 of Virgil, Johnson, Williams and Hinton will make it. I'm guessing they roster 6 which would be Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Washington, and my guess is Hinton and Virgil.
            I sure hope they get Wilsons' opinion prior to making the final cuts. Chemistry with a WR is huge for a QB.

Comment

I sure hope they get Wilsons' opinion prior to making the final cuts. Chemistry with a WR is huge for a QB.
              The top three are set whether he likes it or not. His opinion on the others is almost irrelevant. Their contribution will mostly be on special teams.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I'm betting they asked for his input.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I’d say Johnson and Williams make it. I think they’ll IR stash Johnson with the injury regardless of how serious it is. Virgil and Hinton will be the guys they try to get to the practice squad. I don’t think anyone will pick up Hinton, he’s nothing special at WR, just a solid dependable guy most of the time. Virgil is explosive and constantly made plays, he may be in danger of getting poached but I think most teams around the NFL like their groups at WR. So while Johnson is on temporary IR I would guess they try to hide Virgil on the roster until Johnson comes back and Virgil’s preseason performance isn’t so fresh.

I pick Williams over Hinton and Virgil just because he has the most similar skill set to Patrick of that group. That backup group mirrors the starters pretty well. Washington/Virgil offer some of what Hamler does, Johnson offers some of Jeudy and Sutton, and Williams offers Sutton/Patrick. Hinton is kind of in no man’s land and I thought tonight’s game showed that. He was still in playing during the 4th and they threw him out there as a returner even though he’s not overly shifty or fast. That leads me to believe they were giving him a shot to justify a roster spot.

Of course there’s also Cleveland who has our special teams coach in his corner. But he probably makes it as another IR stash. Or some of these guys may get traded for a depth piece on the interior dline or cornerback.

Comment

I’d say Johnson and Williams make it. I think they’ll IR stash Johnson with the injury regardless of how serious it is. Virgil and Hinton will be the guys they try to get to the practice squad. I don’t think anyone will pick up Hinton, he’s nothing special at WR, just a solid dependable guy most of the time. Virgil is explosive and constantly made plays, he may be in danger of getting poached but I think most teams around the NFL like their groups at WR. So while Johnson is on temporary IR I would guess they try to hide Virgil on the roster until Johnson comes back and Virgil’s preseason performance isn’t so fresh.

I pick Williams over Hinton and Virgil just because he has the most similar skill set to Patrick of that group. That backup group mirrors the starters pretty well. Washington/Virgil offer some of what Hamler does, Johnson offers some of Jeudy and Sutton, and Williams offers Sutton/Patrick. Hinton is kind of in no man’s land and I thought tonight’s game showed that. He was still in playing during the 4th and they threw him out there as a returner even though he’s not overly shifty or fast. That leads me to believe they were giving him a shot to justify a roster spot.

Of course there’s also Cleveland who has our special teams coach in his corner. But he probably makes it as another IR stash. Or some of these guys may get traded for a depth piece on the interior dline or cornerback.
                    Apparently speed plus work habits plus playing KO & KOR is what did it for Jalen Virgil. Speed kills. STs needed Cleveland as a "core" player. Probably means he's on P/PR and KO/KOR teams.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I sure hope they get Seth Williams signed to the practice squad.
                      He looks like a developing Tim Patrick in his route running, size and speed. He also has great hands.
                      Maybe he didn't look great in special teams, where tackling skills are needed for gunners and catching kicks for ball returners.
                      I don't have the advantage that the coaches have in seeing some of those things in their practices.
                      I hope Paton, Hackett, and Stukes haven't made a huge mistake in waiving Williams.

Comment

I sure hope they get Seth Williams signed to the practice squad.
                        He looks like a developing Tim Patrick in his route running, size and speed. He also has great hands.
                        Maybe he didn't look great in special teams, where tackling skills are needed for gunners and catching kicks for ball returners.
                        I don't have the advantage that the coaches have in seeing some of those things in their practices.
                        I hope Paton, Hackett, and Stukes haven't made a huge mistake in waiving Williams.

Yeah but apparently Williams has options for what practice squad to go to. He knows there’s a ton of talented depth here so I don’t blame him, I think if he doesn’t come back here he’ll end up in Green Bay where he has the advantage of scheme familiarity and an unestablished group at WR with Rodgers at QB.

I agree though that we should be trying to get him back. I thought he had the best overall performance in the games that were played. Shocked to see Cleveland make it over him. I haven’t noticed him on special teams when he has played the past 2 seasons and even though he was drafted for special teams, I don’t see what he’s done to be considered a core special teamer. And with his injury I feel like a short term roster stash would’ve been serviceable and then we could make a decision after. I highly doubt Cleveland makes or breaks the coverage unit

Comment

• Darius Phillips being signed now makes me wonder if Cleveland really is going to be sticking on the 53. Phillips plays special teams and is probably a better tackler than a WR. Nothing against Cleveland but I hope this clears a spot for Williams and put Cleveland on IR or the practice squad.

Comment

Darius Phillips being signed now makes me wonder if Cleveland really is going to be sticking on the 53. Phillips plays special teams and is probably a better tackler than a WR. Nothing against Cleveland but I hope this clears a spot for Williams and put Cleveland on IR or the practice squad.
                            I agree and hope so too.

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-broncos-trade

This story highlights what makes Wilson unlikeable.

That being said, I like the Broncos’ chances with him more than with what has been in Denver the past six or seven years.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X