Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hope we get at least 3 good years from him!!!
    That why I was thinking we should start to try and develop a couple Young QB's moving forward .

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Elemas View Post

      Russ was drafted in the 3rd round. ?

      ...

      Honest question, what will the feelings be around here if you can’t get into the playoffs?
      Like Listo said, overall the board will lose it's mind. Denver fans are ....well... fans.

      Personally, I would be disappointed but it depends how it looks. For years, I have simply wanted the Broncos to once again be consistently fighting for wins. And, maybe more importantly, I have wanted them to believe they are going to win. For such a long time, it was sad to see good defenses/players run out on the field knowing they would probably not win unless things unfolded perfectly. Watching player interviews as they tried to figure out how to phrase things to cover up the knowledge that they were likely to lose, they knew the offense (qb) was the weak (terrible) link, and they knew that upcoming games (or good teams) were likely going to be losses. To work so hard and play such a painful game, it has to be soul crushing (and completely demoralizing) to know that you will lose more than win. I'm convinced this is what turned Von from best in the league to very good but only giving max effort on limited plays. I want to watch Denver Broncos know they are going to win the game and be surprised, and angry, when they lose.

      I am convinced that Wilsons addition will get Denver in the show more often than not. I think his on field game is still stellar and fills the biggest, and worst, weak position on the team. But, I wanted Wilson because of his mindset. I think his excited desire to work hard, prepare in every area, and belief that leads to expected/deserved wins is what the Broncos team needs the most. Then, I really like him off the field as well.

      Comment


      • If the Broncos don’t make the playoffs and it has anything to do with Wilson not playing well, it will be par for the course whenever a player goes from one team to another. It’s not often that a player that is great with one team goes on to be a great player for another.

        I hope the Broncos make it work, but it’s not guaranteed.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

        Comment


        • Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          If the Broncos don’t make the playoffs and it has anything to do with Wilson not playing well, it will be par for the course whenever a player goes from one team to another. It’s not often that a player that is great with one team goes on to be a great player for another.

          I hope the Broncos make it work, but it’s not guaranteed.
          Very true, he could totally flop. But I think he will do well.



          ​​

          Comment


          • There's this huge high when a deal comes along like this one, and we go from being a "have not" to a "HAVE" team, with our QB situation settled for some time to come. In a way it's a relief along with the excitement.

            But I sometimes get a little dizzy from all the post deal assessment. None of us know for sure how this will turn out in terms of SBs, playoffs, length of career, stats and so on. There are plenty of "IFS" and "MAYBES", and why people believe this or that. For me it's a little bit about the possibilities, but mostly about the fact we have our QB, and lets see how things play out.

            Of course a 4th SB trophy would look real fine in our case. But, at very minimum, I look forward to us coming out there each week, competitive, and always considered to be in the running. At my level of least overthinking, I objectively see this team in the playoffs, year one. Good QB, good D, good weapons, improved coaching, new owners soon. The variables are many, but the basic ones point in our favour.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post

              Like Listo said, overall the board will lose it's mind. Denver fans are ....well... fans.

              Personally, I would be disappointed but it depends how it looks. For years, I have simply wanted the Broncos to once again be consistently fighting for wins. And, maybe more importantly, I have wanted them to believe they are going to win. For such a long time, it was sad to see good defenses/players run out on the field knowing they would probably not win unless things unfolded perfectly. Watching player interviews as they tried to figure out how to phrase things to cover up the knowledge that they were likely to lose, they knew the offense (qb) was the weak (terrible) link, and they knew that upcoming games (or good teams) were likely going to be losses. To work so hard and play such a painful game, it has to be soul crushing (and completely demoralizing) to know that you will lose more than win. I'm convinced this is what turned Von from best in the league to very good but only giving max effort on limited plays. I want to watch Denver Broncos know they are going to win the game and be surprised, and angry, when they lose.

              I am convinced that Wilsons addition will get Denver in the show more often than not. I think his on field game is still stellar and fills the biggest, and worst, weak position on the team. But, I wanted Wilson because of his mindset. I think his excited desire to work hard, prepare in every area, and belief that leads to expected/deserved wins is what the Broncos team needs the most. Then, I really like him off the field as well.
              What a great post!
              [sigpic

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Chillez View Post

                How do we know if Wilson is past his prime or not? It was just two years ago Wilson had his best regular season and almost was MVP that year. I would say Denver got late prime Wilson but not past his prime it's way too early to tell on that front right now.
                We'll find out this season. The Aaron Rodgers speculation made me feel uncomfortable. I have liked Russell Wilson since he was in the draft pool of 2012.

                That year it seemed definite that Denver would draft a QB to develop behind Peyton Manning. Denver (including John Elway) scouted a number of QB prospects in person during the 2011 College Football season including Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler and Nick Foles.

                Jon Gruden had his QB Camp program where he interviewed QB draft prospects. I saw his episodes with Brock and Russell. Many were concerned with Russell's height and there was a fascination with tall QBs. As I recall there was some discussion about Osweiler versus Wilson and I thought Russell had the edge based on his multi-sport achievements and his college careers at NC State and Wisconsin facilitated by graduating with a BA in three years. At the time I thought Russell was the better prospect in spite of his height.

                Russell has stood the test of time. Ten years later, he is one of four QBs, from the ones drafted in 2012, who is still active (Tannehill, Foles, Cousins) and has arguably had the best career of any of the 2012 QBs. I was very pleasantly surprised when Denver traded for him. Did not think Seattle would let him go, but so they did in a deal Paton had worked on for some time, apparently in secret.

                Am looking forward to free agency this week and the Draft next month. Will be extremely interested to see how Wilson fares in Nate Hackett's offense with the offensive skill players Denver has. Have a feeling it will be a great fit and will produce excellent results.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                  If the Broncos don’t make the playoffs and it has anything to do with Wilson not playing well, it will be par for the course whenever a player goes from one team to another. It’s not often that a player that is great with one team goes on to be a great player for another.

                  I hope the Broncos make it work, but it’s not guaranteed.
                  Last 2....Brady and Stafford = 2 for 2 in SB wins, just saying

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

                    Last 2....Brady and Stafford = 2 for 2 in SB wins, just saying
                    I think there's something to be said for getting a quarterback AFTER someone else has already paid them several flaming dumptrucks full of guaranteed money, when they're more worried about legacy than bank accounts.
                    Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chillez View Post

                      How do we know if Wilson is past his prime or not? It was just two years ago Wilson had his best regular season and almost was MVP that year. I would say Denver got late prime Wilson but not past his prime it's way too early to tell on that front right now.
                      I posted earlier in this thread his stats for the past 2 years and how they stack up to Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes and his stats are right there. He is not past his prime by any means.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                        If the Broncos don’t make the playoffs and it has anything to do with Wilson not playing well, it will be par for the course whenever a player goes from one team to another. It’s not often that a player that is great with one team goes on to be a great player for another.

                        I hope the Broncos make it work, but it’s not guaranteed.
                        I haven't done the research but I wonder if a lot of that manifests when a player is changing teams for the highest bidder, often that first giant pay day. A lot of young players tie their ego to their salary and feel the need to "break the bank." After getting paid, that goal is removed and I'm not sure they have sufficient remaining motivations like winning, teammates, pride etc. Older players have already matured through that phase and if they are still highly valued, they are playing consistently excellent ball. At that point, their play remains dependable and only dependent on age/time.

                        Of course some old players are still ego-tethered to dollar signs and pettiness to the point of willing to blackmail their career team to get another payday...
                        a-aron.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post

                          I haven't done the research but I wonder if a lot of that manifests when a player is changing teams for the highest bidder, often that first giant pay day. A lot of young players tie their ego to their salary and feel the need to "break the bank." After getting paid, that goal is removed and I'm not sure they have sufficient remaining motivations like winning, teammates, pride etc. Older players have already matured through that phase and if they are still highly valued, they are playing consistently excellent ball. At that point, their play remains dependable and only dependent on age/time.

                          Of course some old players are still ego-tethered to dollar signs and pettiness to the point of willing to blackmail their career team to get another payday...
                          a-aron.
                          I am not sure that is accurate as far as going from one team where they are good to another and is not good. Just recently we have Stafford, Brady 2 years ago, OBJ, Gronk, KJ Wright, Everett, Dunlap Miller, and many others. I think it is more about where they are in their career. IF they are in the twilight then yes probably not as good. IF they are in their prime, like Wilson probably very good.

                          Comment


                          • Last year we lost 4 games by 3, 4, 4 and 5 points. Had we won all 4, we end the season at 11 and 6. If we win 3 of them, we are playoff bound.

                            We have just made a major upgrade at QB. There will be a lot of second guessing and for some, "buyer's remorse", even though we as individuals definitely did not have to be part of the buying.

                            So here's another one of my takes:

                            If the situation was the same last year, but with Russ leading the way, I am convinced we win at least 3 of those games. Not only does he find a way, but think of something more likely to come out of this....the fact that the more we have the ball on O, the less our D has to be out there, doing all they can to keep it close, and even tiring as the game goes on.

                            A champion QB is a win win, on O and D. Therefore, my gut tells me we go 11 and 6 this year. I have not made that type of prediction for at least 5-6 years I'm sure. (haha...how could I, there were only 16 games before '21.)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

                              Last 2....Brady and Stafford = 2 for 2 in SB wins, just saying
                              I’m all for the optimism. I’m just saying we shouldn’t be surprised if things don’t go as hoped.

                              If things go badly, the same people praising George Paton will be the same ones vilifying him and the OP of the Paton doing damage thread will be the one doing the “ I told you so” posts.

                              If I were a fan of Wilson, I would be ecstatic about this trade. He’s a great quarterback, I’m just not a fan of his personality. I also think he might think too much of himself as a quarterback.

                              If Hackett can keep Wilson playing within himself, things could work out just fine. I think the Broncos could have a high power offense along the lines of ‘96 thru ‘98 as long as they are committed to running the ball.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

                              Comment


                              • Russell Wilson was one hand off away from beating Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Super Bowl. And being a back to back Super Bowl champion QB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X