No announcement yet.

Russell Wilson to Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW Outside/Wide Zone is set up for Stretch, Stretch Cutback and Boot PAP/Keep. Doubt if rushing attack will be 100% zone steps. A package of angle blocked run plays sets up Counters w/PAP off that. Drop back includes Draw and Rollout includes Sprint Draw. Am expecting a full package of screens. Am thinking Russell can run an offense that includes all that plus more. $0.02
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      FWIW Outside/Wide Zone is set up for Stretch, Stretch Cutback and Boot PAP/Keep. Doubt if rushing attack will be 100% zone steps. A package of angle blocked run plays sets up Counters w/PAP off that. Drop back includes Draw and Rollout includes Sprint Draw. Am expecting a full package of screens. Am thinking Russell can run an offense that includes all that plus more. $0.02
      Wilson cam run most any offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
        At least when I was down on the Broncos last year, it was because we had one of the worst coaching staffs and quarterback rooms in the league.

It's one thing to want to see how this new coaching staff does. I'm optimistic about them but they are unproven.

But the doubts about Wilson are ridiculous. He is a top 5 QB.
        The thing last year was the frustration with a coaching staff that did very well most of the game(s) on the XO when they had Bridgewater healthy, yet as great as Fangio was with the defense, his total incompetence in managing challenges and time (exactly as VJ before him) was just bizarre. Last yeár was the best Broncos football in years, and that is the sad state of affairs.

Wilson brings a competence, will to excel and to get things done. I worry about the money and to some extent the traded picks, as it will hamstring our ability to get the best supporting cast around RW. I am far from sure that Brady would bave been seen as the greatest QB of all time if he had taken a market value salary for the past 10-15 years. Being able to afford 2-3 extra elite players is a very important part of having a strong team.

Comment

• There have been some wrong comparisons of the Rams trading for Stafford vs Denver’s trade for Wilson.

The Rams were loaded and already a contender under McVay. They made it to the divisional round of the playoffs with Jared Goff in the 2020 season. McVay is an experienced head coach and all they needed was an upgrade at quarterback to put the Rams in position to reach the Super Bowl and win.

The Broncos however, were the worst team in the AFC West in 2021. The Chiefs and Raiders both made the playoffs and the Chargers finished with a winning record. As good as Wilson has been, he's still the third-best QB in the division behind Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

Denver traded much more to acquire Wilson than the Rams gave up for Stafford.

Comment

• Whatever Russell Wilson has done or hasn't done in the NFL up to this point doesn't really matter. He has a clean slate and we needed a quarterback. I think we will be playing better football on the offensive side for sure. If we get into the playoffs or win an AFC championship, remains to be seen, they have to play the games.
            I think this is the best chance we've had in a while to have a winning football team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
              There have been some wrong comparisons of the Rams trading for Stafford vs Denver’s trade for Wilson.

The Rams were loaded and already a contender under McVay. They made it to the divisional round of the playoffs with Jared Goff in the 2020 season. McVay is an experienced head coach and all they needed was an upgrade at quarterback to put the Rams in position to reach the Super Bowl and win.

The Broncos however, were the worst team in the AFC West in 2021. The Chiefs and Raiders both made the playoffs and the Chargers finished with a winning record. As good as Wilson has been, he's still the third-best QB in the division behind Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert.

So are you saying that playoff victories may have something to do with the team, not just the QB?

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

So are you saying that playoff victories may have something to do with the team, not just the QB?
                “So are you saying…” is an opening phrase used by people to obfuscate or willfully misinterpret a logical point/argument.

Comment

“So are you saying…” is an opening phrase used by people to obfuscate or willfully misinterpret a logical point/argument.
                  Like obfuscating the conversation by attacking a single phrase in the comment rather than actually responding to it?

I'm not trying to obfuscate anything. I would think it's pretty clear, which is why I didn't expand further, but here you go -

You made a constant point of how Wilson is not very good because of his playoff record (which is not really that bad). Stafford came up because he's an example of someone who had 0 playoff success prior to becoming a world champion.

Wilson succeeded in the playoffs early on in his career because he was on a very good team.

When his team wasn't as good, he had less success.

When Stafford was on a bad team, he had even less success in the playoffs than Wilson did. That didn't mean he wasn't any good, or was incapable of winning in the playoffs.

I don't think anyone is saying that this team is guaranteed a Super Bowl this year.

To have a winning playoff record in any given year, you essentially have to be one of the last four standing.

Playoff record is a horrible way to judge a QB.

Because it takes a team to win.... especially in the playoffs.

Wilson's record shows that. Stafford's record shows that.

Even your own arguments 'Wilson was successful when he was on a great team' shows that, but you argue that it's just Wilson's fault anyway.

What Super Bowl winning teams were bad outside of the QB?

Here's a fun list -

Here's the QBs with the MOST losses in the playoffs, in order of number of losses (then by wins) -

Peyton Manning
                  Tom Brady
                  Brett Favre
                  Ben Roethlisberger
                  Aaron Rodgers
                  Dan Marino
                  Drew Brees
                  Jim Kelly
                  Joe Montana
                  John Elway
                  Russell Wilson
                  Donovan McNabb
                  Philip Rivers
                  Warren Moon

For a QB, a lot of playoff losses means taking a team to the playoffs a lot even when the team isn't Super Bowl Championship level.

The Seahawks haven't been at that level for several years. That's not Wilson's fault.

The fact that they got to the playoffs anyway very well may be his fault.
                  Last edited by LordTrychon; 05-18-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deandc View Post

And there ln lies the of the article

Seattle was top 10 in motion weeks 1-5

Wilson had 10 tds o ints, 77% complt, 1200 yards

Then Wilson gets hurt and week 6 we move to the bottom 10 in motion. Week 7 bottom 10, week 8 bottom 10. Then Wilson is back in week 9 and guesses what still bottom 10. this goes on through week 14. Then week 15 motion back top 10 and Wilson is killing it again.

The offense did not change for Wilson it changed when Wilson got hurt and never came back till the last 3 games.

Motion is a staple of the Mcvay offense.

When the motion was there Wilson played within the offense and thrived. But the motion went away after he got hurt and did not return till the end.

That is why the article you posted is crap it doe snot match the actual facts

Now, why did it change I point to 2 things?

The defense is playing like crap giving up the most 5-minute+ drives. PC coming out and saying we need to run more to help the defense.

The problem is it will not matter what system you try to use if the defense is struggling or you are not running enough PC will always reign it in.

That article showed one picture I posted 3 that show the real story
                    Based on the bolded, this is getting a little messy.

Comment

• I always thought I had a fairly good vocabulary, but I always learn something new on here!

ob·fus·cate /ˈäbfəˌskāt/

verb
                      render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.

Similar:
                      obscure
                      confuse
                      make obscure/unclear
                      blur
                      muddle
                      jumble
                      complicate
                      garble
                      muddy
                      cloud
                      befog
                      muddy the waters

Opposite:
                      clarify

Last edited by Capt. Jack; 05-18-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

What is your point?

Wilson isnt worth trading for?

Russell Wilson is the Broncos QB period! He is the face of the Broncos!

If the Broncos make the playoffs this season the trade will be viewed as an early success.

If they win a Superbowl with Wilson the trade is will be viewed as a long term success.

What Russ does in the next 5 seasons
                        compared to what the draft picks do is what this trade is!!!!

You have made it clear you are against this trade and Russell Wilson and you have every right to your opinion but please keep this energy when the Broncos start winning!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

• It was cool to see Wilson at the Avs game last night!!! Pick up some of that relentlessness our boys showed!!

Comment

• We had 2 bums under center last season, 4 the year before. I can't help but be hopeful and happy that isn't the case anymore. Paton got the best available QB and now we get to see how this roster performs with a new energetic coaching staff and more than competent QB.

Comment

There have been some wrong comparisons of the Rams trading for Stafford vs Denver’s trade for Wilson.

The Rams did appear to have a better team than the Broncos, but it's non-sequitor (that means it is illogical) to believe this is any sort of evidence as to the value of the Russ trade. It's also an opinion. We can also make the comparison that Wilson had a far better history and career up to the point either was traded. There's plenty of other factors.

Here's the reality. We traded for Russ. Deal with it. The only reasonable judgement of the trade will be if it helped the team more than the picks would have. And this is UNPROVABLE. You continue to try to prove something that is UNPROVABLE.

But I know one thing, the rest of the NFL is interested in Russ in Denver. Last year was the first year in decades we weren't on MNF. How many national games do we have this season? The rest of the NFL wants to see Russ in Denver even if you don't.

Comment

• BTW.....love that Russ is showing up at all the sports events in Denver, Last night he was supporting The Avs. On a side note, that was one of the more one sided 1 goal games I've seen. The goal post alone stopped The Avs at least 5 times!

Comment

Working...
                                X