Rumor: Melvin Gordon to sign back with the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beemerboy View Post

Everyone deserves a second chance however, with regard to the fumbling issue, I still can't forgive him for last season's screw up where KC ran it back for a TD.
    You should also not forgive Albert O for completely missing his assignment that led to the defender blowing up Gordon the moment Lock handed the ball off to him before he could secure it… in a meaningless final regular season game no less.

Comment

21 career fumbles.

7 fumbles the last two years.

The guy can't protect the football. As talented as he is and as many big runs he makes, he is a liability.

It's not if, but when he will fumble. And imagine if it costs us during a crucial game in the race for a playoff spot or in a playoff game......

Comment

George Paton is assembling a team to make a serious playoff run, and that requires quality depth. In order not to exceed three hundred rushing attempts during the regular season, Javonte Williams would average no more than about seventeen or eighteen rushing attempts per game. Denver had 455 rushing attempts in 2021. If 2022 is similar, Javonte will need some help with that.

Melvin Gordon is a good rusher, receiver and blocker who can come in for about ten attempts per game and spell Javonte with no appreciable drop-off in production. It's a one year deal and Paton has done about a dozen of those for this season in order to provide experienced depth.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
          I'm not excited by this. He's got some talent, but also a proven track record of fumbling at the worst possible time. Didn't he kill our chance of beating the chiefs with a late game red zone fumble last year in one of Lock's starts?
          His Fumbles is a good reason to find a better option in the draft.

Besides that he is a very productive player. I would not mind him on the team for right price but imo we need to put 60-70% of the snap in Javonte's hands. Maybe less with the idea to keep him fresh for playoffs and then at that time he gets 80%+ of the snaps.

Rb is a tough position. Need productive backups.
          Let's Ride!

Comment

I have to trust Paton on this one, hopefully he holds on to the ball.

That horrific fumble really wasn't his fault, more of a missed assignment on the line. Still though, there were others...
            [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
              I have to trust Paton on this one, hopefully he holds on to the ball.

That horrific fumble really wasn't his fault, more of a missed assignment on the line. Still though, there were others...
              two .......

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                21 career fumbles.

7 fumbles the last two years.

The guy can't protect the football. As talented as he is and as many big runs he makes, he is a liability.

It's not if, but when he will fumble. And imagine if it costs us during a crucial game in the race for a playoff spot or in a playoff game......
                Gordon also had 20 TDs in two seasons as a Bronco, on an anemic offense and wasn't used correctly in the passing game. He played with Russ at Wisconsin so that reunion should be interesting.

My question isn't his ability, it's whether he's willing to be the B RB. This is why I wouldn't give him an incentive laden contract. Give him his money so his playing time doesn't factor in.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Gordon also had 20 TDs in two seasons as a Bronco, on an anemic offense and wasn't used correctly in the passing game. He played with Russ at Wisconsin so that reunion should be interesting.

My question isn't his ability, it's whether he's willing to be the B RB. This is why I wouldn't give him an incentive laden contract. Give him his money so his playing time doesn't factor in.
                  I would think he knows where he ranks in the pecking order after his wait to get re-signed. Probably a good chance he got a "talking to" about the butterfinger thing. Let's hope
                  [sigpic

Comment

I would think he knows where he ranks in the pecking order after his wait to get re-signed. Probably a good chance he got a "talking to" about the butterfinger thing. Let's hope
                    If he can clean up that aspect of his game, even if just by a bit, this is an excellent deal.

Comment

Originally posted by beemerboy View Post

Everyone deserves a second chance however, with regard to the fumbling issue, I still can't forgive him for last season's screw up where KC ran it back for a TD.

You and Me Both I am still mad as can be .

Comment

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...5-b859241c6e63

Good article on Gordon. It makes sense too, bringing back Gordon primarily to be the pass protection guy. He comes back on a much lighter salary at only 2.5 mil meaning he isn't going to be a major factor in the offensive game script. Still involved but he knows this is Williams show now

Comment

The offseason is usually when ball security issues are addressed. Melvin was signed last night. If he's in town, he'll be at Dove Valley today. Ten new offensive coaches one of whom is his position coach. There's plenty of time between now and the season opener. All offensive coaches have ball security drills, especially RBs coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                            https://www.9news.com/article/sports...5-b859241c6e63

Good article on Gordon. It makes sense too, bringing back Gordon primarily to be the pass protection guy. He comes back on a much lighter salary at only 2.5 mil meaning he isn't going to be a major factor in the offensive game script. Still involved but he knows this is Williams show now
                            Good read. It's indicative of how Melvin is regarded in the locker room which is more important than that of fans.

Comment

Not sure the fumbling problem gets “fixed” at this point of his career. I’m guessing he has worked on that every off-season his entire career.

Gordon has a lot of positives. A lot of things he does well. Those are why he was signed.

The fumbles are just part of the equation. He will likely fumble a couple times this season. Hopefully not excessive or at inopportune times. Same as I hope from every offensive player.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

You should also not forgive Albert O for completely missing his assignment that led to the defender blowing up Gordon the moment Lock handed the ball off to him before he could secure it… in a meaningless final regular season game no less.
                                Right. Can't blame that one on Melvin. Wow! Fant at Y and Albert O. at Wing. What a powerful blocking combo! If we line up two guys who can't block, surely at least one of them will block someone, right? Answer: Don't call me Shirley.

Good example of why some want to know about a TE's blocking ability. Why line a guy up tight if he can't block? It was that way with Tony Scheffler who didn't line up tight half the time. Brandon Marshall was a better blocker. Unfortunately many here are way too young to remember Riley Odoms.
                                Last edited by samparnell; 04-27-2022, 08:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X