Rumor: Melvin Gordon to sign back with the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Right. Can't blame that one on Melvin. Wow! Fant at Y and Albert O. at Wing. What a powerful blocking combo! If we line up two guys who can'y block, surely at least one of them will block someone, right? Answer: Don't call me Shirley.

Good example of why some want to know about a TE's blocking ability. Why line a guy up tight if he can't block? It was that way with Tony Scheffler who didn't line up tight half the time. Brandon Marshall was a better blocker. Unfortunately many here are way too young to remember Riley Odoms.
    Yup. Blame it on the nonexistent blocking, blame it on the poorly designed goal line play, blame it on the OC for calling yet another crap play, blame it on the QB who may have been able to change the blocking assignments, blame it on the rain. Who I don't blame is the poor RB that got absolutely blasted as soon as he touched the ball.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      https://www.9news.com/article/sports...5-b859241c6e63

Good article on Gordon. It makes sense too, bringing back Gordon primarily to be the pass protection guy. He comes back on a much lighter salary at only 2.5 mil meaning he isn't going to be a major factor in the offensive game script. Still involved but he knows this is Williams show now
      There will be (should be) some special backs available in the 4th round though. I could see letting Boone go or keeping him as an extra guy primarily for Special Teams.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Right. Can't blame that one on Melvin. Wow! Fant at Y and Albert O. at Wing. What a powerful blocking combo! If we line up two guys who can'y block, surely at least one of them will block someone, right? Answer: Don't call me Shirley.

Good example of why some want to know about a TE's blocking ability. Why line a guy up tight if he can't block? It was that way with Tony Scheffler who didn't line up tight half the time. Brandon Marshall was a better blocker. Unfortunately many here are way too young to remember Riley Odoms.
        I found a Youtube video with a really good angle:

That play shouldn't have been called, and that ball should have never been snapped.

Comment

More info:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/...jO0K__Wv7K2WLg

Broncos announce they've officially signed RB Melvin Gordon. Per sources, it's a one-year, $2.5M base deal with chance to make up to $4M with incentives (not $5M).- Mike Klis

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
            More info:

Broncos announce they've officially signed RB Melvin Gordon. Per sources, it's a one-year, $2.5M base deal with chance to make up to $4M with incentives (not $5M).- Mike Klis
            This is ok... As much as I don't really want Gordon back, for sure it's good to have his experience and likely it will be good bang for the buck

Comment

More info:

As long as Javonte gets most of the snaps with the goal is resting him to make Javonte the playoff work horse this is good.

Regular season
              Javonte 60-65% of offensive snaps
              rest - 35-40%

Keep him healthy

Playoffs
              Javonte 80%+ snaps. Maybe 100% in 4th with game close.

Even with Gordon back would like to see more of other backs as well.
              Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

As long as Javonte gets most of the snaps with the goal is resting him to make Javonte the playoff work horse this is good.

Regular season
                Javonte 60-65% of offensive snaps
                rest - 35-40%

Keep him healthy

Playoffs
                Javonte 80%+ snaps. Maybe 100% in 4th with game close.

Even with Gordon back would like to see more of other backs as well.
                Williams should be ready for a bigger load this year. Historically you don't want to put a lot on rookie RB's because they aren't used to the schedule and they tend to wear down late in the year. It's a very long, tiring road for them. Use Gordon to keep Williams fresh. If we do put away an opponent early then use Gordon and the #3RB to kill the clock. Boone would be a convenient #3RB because he excels at Special Teams so he's worth activating on game day. I still want to draft a RB in the 4th-ish. I think you always have to keep adding RB's and this year they're deep so the Broncos could luck into a really good one.

Comment

Williams should be ready for a bigger load this year. Historically you don't want to put a lot on rookie RB's because they aren't used to the schedule and they tend to wear down late in the year. It's a very long, tiring road for them. Use Gordon to keep Williams fresh. If we do put away an opponent early then use Gordon and the #3RB to kill the clock. Boone would be a convenient #3RB because he excels at Special Teams so he's worth activating on game day. I still want to draft a RB in the 4th-ish. I think you always have to keep adding RB's and this year they're deep so the Broncos could luck into a really good one.
                  Agree 100%

i would like to see a RB drafted by end of 4th rd as well. Between Boone and Gordon one of them is going to miss time, maybe both. We need another solid guy for reps in 2022 and hopefully to step into a larger role in 2023. Would like to see a solid PS RB in addition just in case both Boone and Gordon miss time at the same point in season.
                  Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Gordon also had 20 TDs in two seasons as a Bronco, on an anemic offense and wasn't used correctly in the passing game. He played with Russ at Wisconsin so that reunion should be interesting.

My question isn't his ability, it's whether he's willing to be the B RB. This is why I wouldn't give him an incentive laden contract. Give him his money so his playing time doesn't factor in.
                    Those 20 touchdowns are nice. But that doesn't change the fact he has trouble protecting the ball. He's had that problem his entire career.

Look, it is what is. I don't like the signing. Would have rather seen Boone get a shot, especially, since Paton gave him a 2 year, $3.85 million contract last year.

Regardless of this signing, I still want to draft a RB late.

Comment

I like Gordon, his fumbling is problematic, but it's nice when he gets a couple of those big runs.

Comment

The more I think about the Gordon signing the more I like it, despite the fumbles.

He is a vet leader and professional pass protector. Invaluable for this team trying to change the culture with Wilson.

Getting him signed on a value contract before the draft is a sneaky smart strategy by Paton. I agree they still draft a RB but the pressure is off to find a “starter” quality rookie. RBs get injured. Having a Williams / Gordon tandem protects against too big of a drop off when either misses games. Not sure Boone is that guy. He feels like a STs standout that can fill in at RB if pressed into it.

It will be interesting to see when Paton selects a RB. Honestly I’m not opposed to any pick or round if the talent is there.

Comment

Working...
                        X