Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listopencil
    replied
    Saw a video today called Just Getting Started Day Two OTA Highlights on Facebook. First pass, I'd call that a bomb.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Denver will have over a dozen offensive "skill" players for Russell to work with. When the roster is announced, the depth will mean a number of five player combinations to whom Russell can deliver the ball.

There is a significant amount of competition on the O-Line not only to start, but to make the roster as well. IMO the O-LIne will be the key for Denver's O this year. They had a pretty good O-Line coach for the past three years. Butch Barry and Ben Steele have big shoes to fill. We'll see how it goes.
    There will be a lot of personnel options. I'm looking forward to the possibilities with Jeudy, Sutton and KJ, with Dulcich and either RB. You'll have Sutton, KJ and Dulcich stretching the field with Jeudy and the RB underneath. And I think we can have success running the ball with either RBs because the D will have to respect the deep threat.

It's hard to place a lot of expectations on a rookie TE, but if he can just be a deep threat the D has to respect, it will go a long way to opening up the field for Russ and the RBs.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post

^ this.

Sam if I can directly ask - how do you feel about our current Center in Cush and how he played last season? and in your opinion how you feel he fits into what we believe is the most likely blocking scheme Hackett will use? I am also curious as to your thoughts on a shorter QB throwing behind a much taller Center. For example Murray and Mayfield both had Centers which were shorter. IF we land on Glasgow as being the best option there for us he is 6ft6.
    Lloyd has improved gradually each game, but for him and the the other returning O-Linemen it's a new offense, rushing attack and O-Line coaches. Soon after his hiring, Hackett referred to his rushing attack as Outside Zone which sounds like Alex Gibbs' Wide Zone Series. Outside/Wide Zone calls for O-Linemen to take a lot of zone steps. They could start between the hashmarks and end up outside the numbers. There is reason to believe that will be the core rushing attack. O-Line men who excel in that can run and have good length. We'll see how Denver's RBs do in that.

Some have said Cushenberry isn't a scheme fit, because they think he can't run. That doesn't agree with my recollection of him. Have seen him pull outside the T/TE hole. Cushenberry, Glasgow, Wattenberg, Meinerz and maybe others will get reps at C. With a new offense and coaches, we'll just need to wait and see what it looks like. There will be a lot of shuffling.

Doubt if Hackett's rushing attack will be 100% pure zone steps. Sometimes a hole needs to be attacked with angle blocking. Hackett also said he'd have a Fullback and that Andrew Beck will get the opportunity to be that guy. In Outside/Wide Zone the FB usually blocks backside pursuit, but in an angle blocked play he leads, kicks out, seals. Look for UDFA Rodney Williams to rep at FB. If Fullback is an important part of Hackett's O, look for one to be carried on the PS.

Some QBs and O-Line coaches like Centers with long legs. That probably won't be an issue for Russell. Even tall QBs don't always throw over their O-Line. In the gaps between them are throwing lanes. Watch out for Shelby Harris in the season opener. He knows how to find those. With an Outside/Wide Zone rushing attack, look for Boot/PAP which should suit Russell and mitigate the height issue passing.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied

Denver will have over a dozen offensive "skill" players for Russell to work with. When the roster is announced, the depth will mean a number of five player combinations to whom Russell can deliver the ball.

There is a significant amount of competition on the O-Line not only to start, but to make the roster as well. IMO the O-LIne will be the key for Denver's O this year. They had a pretty good O-Line coach for the past three years. Butch Barry and Ben Steele have big shoes to fill. We'll see how it goes.
    ^ this.

Sam if I can directly ask - how do you feel about our current Center in Cush and how he played last season? and in your opinion how you feel he fits into what we believe is the most likely blocking scheme Hackett will use? I am also curious as to your thoughts on a shorter QB throwing behind a much taller Center. For example Murray and Mayfield both had Centers which were shorter. IF we land on Glasgow as being the best option there for us he is 6ft6.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied

Different descriptive terms. Pass and catch only, or yards after catch, too? Is a "bomb" only thrown from the minus side of the 50? How about a long pass thrown into the EZ for a TD?
    Well the whole point is Russ is supposedly a good deep ball thrower. I think whatever we pick, 20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards from line of scrimmage...should be total air time from QB to pass catcher.

Trying to find stats being tracked some where. We may need to go back and look at them ourselves but trying to get a competition here. If we pick some way of measuring that only happens 3--5 times the entire year would that be a fun competition?

It is why I used my definition in the OP. I think that is going to happen a lot. One media talking head reports 20% of Wilson throws will be of those types.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied

Different descriptive terms. Pass and catch only, or yards after catch, too? Is a "bomb" only thrown from the minus side of the 50? How about a long pass thrown into the EZ for a TD?
    Heck, who knows? When I think of a bomb I think of an obvious visible trajectory in my mind. That ball has to go way up in the air and come screaming down to the receiver. I'm thinking more like 45+ air yards.

Leave a comment:

• brianmcfarlane
    replied

The back of short zones is fifteen yards. Deep halves, thirds and quarters begin about there. Twenty yards is deep by defensive secondary standards, if that is where the ball is thrown and caught. Third and up to about three is short, four to about seven is medium and over that is long.
    I think we have to go by "air yards" as far as what is considered a "bomb". And have to consider era also... no? ... The "mad bomber" Daryl Lamonica how far was his "air yards"?

But... I would think, especially after the last pre-season, if he is healthy Hamler would be the "bomb" receiver ... hopefully he can stay 100%

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    I'm not sure who will benefit the most, but having both KJ and Dulcich on the field at the same time could be scary. Dulcich's primary skill is the ability to get deep for a TE. These two should either cause some mismatches or really open up things underneath. I can't imagine a D playing 8 in the box with these two on the field along with Russ.

Last edited by samparnell; 05-23-2022, 06:18 PM. Reason: Format

Leave a comment:

• Deandc
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    This is what I thought of!!!!

https://youtu.be/6uihq4EkqxE
    LOL such a great song

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    I'm not sure who will benefit the most, but having both KJ and Dulcich on the field at the same time could be scary. Dulcich's primary skill is the ability to get deep for a TE. These two should either cause some mismatches or really open up things underneath. I can't imagine a D playing 8 in the box with these two on the field along with Russ.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Certainly. I don't think that's questionable at all. It's a big play. I don't know that it's a 'bomb' though.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied

The back of short zones is fifteen yards. Deep halves, thirds and quarters begin about there. Twenty yards is deep by defensive secondary standards, if that is where the ball is thrown and caught. Third and up to about three is short, four to about seven is medium and over that is long.
    Certainly. I don't think that's questionable at all. It's a big play. I don't know that it's a 'bomb' though.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    This is an interesting survey. I will add that I think 20 yards is mid range vs deep, but if we go 20+ I see Sutton, but 35+ it's Hamler.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    This is an interesting survey. I will add that I think 20 yards is mid range vs deep, but if we go 20+ I see Sutton, but 35+ it's Hamler.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

It was hard for me not to go Sutton all the way. I remember how great he was at long balls before his injury.
    My initial speculation would also be Sutton. Expecting him to have a great year in this offense.

But I’m going to go with Jeudy on all three categories.

I’m thinking this will be a break out year for him. I sometimes forget just how good he was in college and how exciting a pick he was. Time for him to remind us!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X