Finally coming out for a game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally coming out for a game!

Hello fellow Broncos fans. I am finally coming out from Ohio to my first Broncos home game (been to many games here in Ohio, PA, Indy, and Detroit) but never a Broncos home game. We got a cabin in Palmer Lake down by Colorado Springs. Also going to a show at Red Rocks while we’re out there. So tell me, how’s the weather out there in early October? What are 5 must-dos while I’m out there? We will be there for 6 days, other than the game and concert we have 4 free days to explore. Like I said we’re just outside of Colorado Springs but will drive up to a couple hours to explore.

Also, on game day, how’s the tailgating? Guide me and help make it a great experience for my wife, 17 yr old son, and I. Been a fan since 86. Have always wanted to do this. Thanks Broncos Country!

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Hello fellow Broncos fans. I am finally coming out from Ohio to my first Broncos home game (been to many games here in Ohio, PA, Indy, and Detroit) but never a Broncos home game. We got a cabin in Palmer Lake down by Colorado Springs. Also going to a show at Red Rocks while we’re out there. So tell me, how’s the weather out there in early October? What are 5 must-dos while I’m out there? We will be there for 6 days, other than the game and concert we have 4 free days to explore. Like I said we’re just outside of Colorado Springs but will drive up to a couple hours to explore.

Also, on game day, how’s the tailgating? Guide me and help make it a great experience for my wife, 17 yr old son, and I. Been a fan since 86. Have always wanted to do this. Thanks Broncos Country!
    Well I'm not a Denver native so I can't tell you what weather is usually like. I do know it's a lot of up and down. One day could be 80 the next 65.....at least that's what it was like last time I was there. One thing I love to do whenever I'm in a big place like that is google "diners drive-ins and dives" and go to places where Guy Fiere featured. Always good food

I haven't done this myself but I hear good things about the EDGE zip line tour

side note.....

I'm actually going to be in Cinci in a couple days, what do I need to do there?? I'm taking my son to Canton to go to the football hall of fame but could use some things on the list

Comment

While in Cincinnati you have to go to the Montgomery Inn. It’s a restaurant down by the river. Best ribs you’ll ever have. If you can take in a Reds game do it. They blow but the stadium and area is awesome. I’m only about a half an hour away from Canton in Wooster. HOF is amazing, you’ll love it. While in Canton/Akron area go to a Rubber Ducks game, so much fun and an awesome stadium. Eating in Canton there’s literally no better place than The Melt! Any other questions let me know!

Comment

Early October the weather can be anywhere from 80 to snowing. Usually its nice 60-80 degrees with relatively cold nights. Depending on weather Pikes Peak is an awesome experience, you can drive up to the summit (weather permitting) or you can take a train up there... if you're into hiking you can hike it but it is like 13 miles and the altitude is difficult to handle even for Coloradans. It is over 14,000ft and it is cold no matter what time of year at the summit. Also there is Garden Of The Gods and Cave of the Winds in the Pikes Peak region.
        If your into seeing baseball parks, Coors Field has tours they sell advance tickets for like a 2 hour tour, not sure how much they cost. Speaking of Coors or beer if you like beer, Coors brewery in Golden has tours, I think everyone enjoys their tour... there is also many, many craft breweries in Colorado, one of the most famous would be New Belgium brewery in Ft. Collins, probably ~1.5 hours from Palmer Lake. If your not a beer fan ... never-mind.

Getting in a Bronco game and a concert at Red Rocks you already have 2 of your 5 "must do's" scheduled,
        sigpic

Comment

I think October has some of the best temperatures. Heats up to mid 70's during the day and cooler for sleeping at night. Perfect time to take in a game, usually nothing too extreme yet and not too hot. I'd encourage you to make the drive to Estes Park - the Elk herds, the shops are inspiring. The Stanley hotel (The Shining) has a great steakhouse and they give some good tours, especially in the evening. You're hitting the Broncos and Red Rocks, two huge draws! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Comment

If you're into South Park, you can go to Bailey to the Hot Dog...Casa Bonita in Denver may be open by then as well...
            I Love Orange Crush!

Comment

Originally posted by jpark31 View Post
              If you're into South Park, you can go to Bailey to the Hot Dog...Casa Bonita in Denver may be open by then as well...
              Casa Bonita is fun environment. A very cool entertainment dining experience. Was the 2nd place I ever had a job when I was 16. Good place to work back then. The food though...keep expectations low unless things have changed.
              Let's Ride!

Comment

You need to bring shorts and t-shirts and also prepare for a snowstorm.
                You can easily have 60 degrees and sunshine and and a snowstorm within hours. I've had morning and evening snowstorms and 50-60 degrees in the middle of the day in the 1½ year I lived there. My parents visited, and did not like Colorado on arrival when we flew in from CA with 85degrees, landed in Colorado after 6 inches of snow, and the next morning we had the t-tops off the car as we had 70+ degree.

You don't get snow in August, but the weather is schizo albeit beautiful the rest of the time.
                Good explanation of things to see in the above posts.

Comment

How about parking, closest for cheap. Any tips?

Comment

Any ideas on parking before I spend $195 on a parking pass? Thanks!

Comment

Any ideas on parking before I spend $195 on a parking pass? Thanks!
                      Look into RTD park and ride. There's a bus or light rail. They leave regularly. 200 bucks to park is robbery. There are cheaper ways, but they fill up early and some of them are a lengthy walk.

And, if you're lucky, October is usually when they do alumni weekend. You might be there for the game they celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1st Super Bowl.

Comment

Also, which is the better place to stay at? Palmer Lake near Colorado Springs or Grand Lake near Estes Park? I want scenery, Mountain View’s, big stars, and plenty of siteseeing spots. Anyone that’s been around both give me any insight? Thanks guys!

Comment

I’ve found comparible AirBNBs in both, and can’t decide where I want to stay.

Comment

Also, which is the better place to stay at? Palmer Lake near Colorado Springs or Grand Lake near Estes Park? I want scenery, Mountain View’s, big stars, and plenty of siteseeing spots. Anyone that’s been around both give me any insight? Thanks guys!
                            I own a mountain house in Grand Lake and this area is absolutely beautiful. Definitely a more mountain getaway experience than Palmer Lake area. You can rent a pontoon for about $350 for 4-hours and check out Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake - early October weather will be hit or miss for this kind of activity but if it is still in the 50's, you are good to go. There are some great hikes, wildlife, good eats. You can also sight see Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge Road that is the highest continuous paved road in America, which is the only way to connect you to Estes Park - otherwise you will most likely be taking I-70 but Trail Ridge usually doesn't close until late October. Winter Park is 40 minutes away with some fun activities like the Alpine Slide or Fraser that has a great distillery, food and also a new brewery - Vicious Cycle. Early October should still be just fine for a lot of mountain activities, but will need a coat during mornings and evenings. Grand Lake is two hours from Denver but beautiful!

If you want more ideas of where to go up in this area if this is what you choose, I can certainly help out!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X