• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgobronco
    Captain
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I almost wonder if this was the long term plan all along. Not necessarily with Wilson, but build the roster as well as possible through the draft and when the team goes up for sale go for the home run with a big name QB so you can keep his cap hit manageable through an owner rife with cash.
    I'm not sure about the cap, but I do think getting a top tier QB before the sale was part of the plan. It's hard to know what the impact is for sure, but I'm pretty certain the sale price is significantly higher with Wilson and the associated hype than if Lock were the QB going into this season.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
      Football Immortal
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Interesting point.

Anyone know what the actual Cap rules are on the limits of the bonus given to the player? For an example, if Wilson signed for 5yr/ $250M and the signing bonus on day one was $250M. Would it effect the cap in any way to use that annual cap space in any meaningful way to sign additional players? Or is it simply $50m against the cap annually?
      It would depend on the contract structure but signing bonuses get paid up front day one, but are prorated for the duration of the contract. So Wilson becomes a very interesting case. I mentioned earlier that if Wilson is seeking high guarantees if not fully guaranteed he has very little reason to have the new contract start immediately. If he has it act as an extension to his current contract, then it would be a 250M signing bonus tolled over 7 seasons which I believe would give him something like a 54 mil cap hit for this season and not something we can probably afford to do. However if they were to add 3 void years to the end of the contract that would prorate the signing bonus over the course of 10 seasons bringing the cap hit this season to 44 million (I’m assuming the Seahawks paid his 5 mil roster bonus). Still a little too much to add at the moment but with guys like Darby and Chubb making north of 10 mil this season, it isn’t out of the realm of possibility to get something done with them to create more space.

It sounds like it doesn’t help and Wilson’s new deal would probably be reported as a 8 year 400 million dollar contract where the last 3 years and 150 million are just fluff. But having an owner that can foot an entire contract day one is massive because the salary cap is going to keep rising. Wilson’s deal would look like a bargain bin deal by the end of it, hell it would look like a bargain by the time it actually starts in 2 seasons. Right when we would be in theory gearing up to be able to fully go all in as we now have all of our own picks and he’s only going to be a 25 mil cap hit which might not even be 10% of the cap by that point.

But this is all wild speculation. Mr. Walton may penny pinch until he sees a return on his investment. Wilson may not want a quarter of a billion up front. The FO might not think it wise to allocate so much of the cap to Wilson this and next season. We shall find out, but having Mr. Walton does give us a lot more cap flexibility in relation to signing bonuses and should make us major players in free agency every year.

Comment

• Hadez
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Interesting point.

Anyone know what the actual Cap rules are on the limits of the bonus given to the player? For an example, if Wilson signed for 5yr/ $250M and the signing bonus on day one was $250M. Would it effect the cap in any way to use that annual cap space in any meaningful way to sign additional players? Or is it simply $50m against the cap annually?
        There is an interesting clip on a recent McAfee show. Former NFL Exec (I think from GB based on content of talk) was talking how there is no limit to cash paid up front. It is how teams with a lot of cash have more options than teams without a lot of cash.

Actually there is two main tricks.

1. Pay huge signing bonus. It is then spread equally over the number of years of the contract. Example Russel Wilson got a 65 mil signing bonus. That was spread out over 5 years so each year hits the cap for 13 mil.

1B. Some teams will convert base salary into a signing bonus. This will spread out the cap by the number of years left on the contract. Broncos have done this many times through the years.

Note about 1 and 1B When a player is traded the remaining amount due is counted against the cap. It is one reason some players have huge salary caps against their former team but relatively small cap hits for new team. Wilson will count 24 mil against the cap for the Broncos this year. He will count 26 mil against the Hawks cap in dead cap. If he was still on the Hawks he would have had a cap hit of 37 mil. 13 mil from signing bonus, 5 mil roster bonus and 19 mil base salary.

2. Pay huge roster bonus. The 49ers did this one year with Jimmy G. They paid him a 28 mil roster bonus in 2018 with a relatively low signing bonus of 7 mil. Now apparently they can move on from Jimmy G and have little dead cap hit. (1.4 mil) compared to the 26 mil cap hit the Hawks took for moving on from Wilson.

According to the former NFL exec there are small market teams wanting to put some kind of limit on cash paid. Of course teams like Dallas and Los Angeles say no. Based on what Denver has done they seem to also be on the do not limit cash side. Probably even more so now.
        Last edited by Hadez; 06-10-2022, 01:25 AM.
        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
        effort x talent = skill
        effort x skill = achievement
        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Capt. Jack
          Football Immortal
          • Oct 2010

TD IS LOOKING FOR A JOB!!!!

“I’d love to be part of this organization in whatever direction it’s in,” Broncos Hall of Famer Terrell Davis told 9News.

Comment

• DwhitetheGamer
            Starter
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
            Interesting.

Comment

• Capt. Jack
              Football Immortal
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DwhitetheGamer View Post

Interesting.
              I guess TD walked into his local Walmart and asked for a job application????

?

Comment

• Hadez
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2004

TD should be a coach for the RBs. It surprises me how many NFL RB coaches do not coach RBs to do the things TD did. Not sure if it was just TD and he wanted to do or what Alex Gibbs coached him to do but either way he needs to teach RBs. Not talking about his running though that was great. Talking about how he chipped pass rushers. Blocked in pass pro. He may have done those two things better than any RB in history.
                What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                effort x talent = skill
                effort x skill = achievement
                How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• LordTrychon
                  Unleashed
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  TD should be a coach for the RBs. It surprises me how many NFL RB coaches do not coach RBs to do the things TD did. Not sure if it was just TD and he wanted to do or what Alex Gibbs coached him to do but either way he needs to teach RBs. Not talking about his running though that was great. Talking about how he chipped pass rushers. Blocked in pass pro. He may have done those two things better than any RB in history.
                  We don't know if he's a great teacher or not though. Not all with great skill are.

Don't get me wrong. TD is my favorite player.

I want him to find a job with the organization if he wants one. Wheatley is our current RB coach, and he's been coaching for 15 years.

Not sure where TD could/should fit in... if it's helping Wheatley, great! If it's somewhere in the FO... or even as a player mentor... I don't care. I would love to have him directly involved.

Comment

• listopencil
                    Revenant
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

We don't know if he's a great teacher or not though. Not all with great skill are.

Don't get me wrong. TD is my favorite player.

I want him to find a job with the organization if he wants one. Wheatley is our current RB coach, and he's been coaching for 15 years.

Not sure where TD could/should fit in... if it's helping Wheatley, great! If it's somewhere in the FO... or even as a player mentor... I don't care. I would love to have him directly involved.
                    I was going to say the same thing.
                    Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2010

The new Denver Broncos’ ownership group announced it added former Secretary of State and University of Denver alumni Condoleezza Rice to the team.

Comment

• Peanut
                        ModNut
                        • Jan 2007

Reminder:

Anthems and Protests --- While we certainly understand the frustration by fans on all sides of the discussion, we have decided to keep the Broncos Country message boards separate from politics. Recent events have brought the NFL to the forefront of political debates, but due to the highly emotional and passionate discussion it tends to involve, we think it’s best to continue to keep politics and this forum separate. Yes, the forum is meant for discussion, but we’d like to keep that discussion to football as much as possible. With everything going on in our country, it would be nice to keep our complaints and cheers purely related to football here. If you feel passionately, there are plenty of other outlets available to you to express your opinions. We know this isn’t the most popular decision, but we ask that you respect it. Thank you for understanding. --Broncos Country Message Board Staff
                        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                          Football Immortal
                          • Oct 2010

I don't think its a bad thing for Condoleezza Rice to be involved with ownership?
                          She is smart and has had many accomplishments in her career.

(Maybe she can help figure out what to do about Paddy Mahomes????)

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2015

On another note I think Hackett could pivot to an air raid attack with the offense.

Comment

• Deandc
                              Hall of Famer
                              • Mar 2022

I don't think its a bad thing for Condoleezza Rice to be involved with ownership?

I agree it seems like a good thing.

Comment

• lvbronx
                                Old School
                                • Jul 2005

From a purely Denver Broncos point of view, she's a good fit. She moved to Denver when she was 12 and went to DU and grew up as a Broncos fan. She dated Rick Upchurch back then and I think they are still friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X