Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Briscoe "The Magician"

https://apnews.com/article/denver-br...de841621077df1
    Last edited by Capt. Jack; 06-28-2022, 05:31 AM.

Requiescat in pace, Marlin "the magician" Briscoe.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It's time to make the Movie

Comment

Excellent/cool name for a football player.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

I am surprised he's not getting any love here???
          Rest in peace,
          Marlin

Comment

He's an important part of Broncos history as the first black QB to play Pro football. He never really got a fair chance to play QB here. He was a little ahead of my time as a Bronco and I remember him mostly as a Dophins WR playing opposite Paul Warfield in the Fins dominate run in the 70s.

Comment

My family moved to Aurora in 1964, the year after Frank Tripucka retired. My Dad and I became Bronco fans then.

There were twelve QBs who started games for the Broncos during the ten years between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson. Of them all, the only one many of us at the time thought had the ability to quarterback the Broncos to their first winning season was Marlin Briscoe.

There were coaches in the AFL at the time who had the possibility of seeing what "The Magician" could do at the QB position. Unfortunately Lou Saban wasn't one of them. He was ultra-conservative even by NFL standards at the time.

Marlin was a different kind of quarterback than most other pro QBs at the time, Fran Tarkenton being an exception. However, the other different thing about him which kept owners and coaches from trying him as a QB was being African-American. During and before the Sixties, quarterback, middle linebacker and center were positions for which many coaches, owners and fans thought black players didn't have the intelligence. Black players had been effectively banned from the NFL before WWII as per George Preston Marshall's "gentlemen's agreement".

My Dad and I were so disappointed when Saban wouldn't allow Marlin to be an AFL QB. Denver had a decent roster at the time, but lacked an effective QB. What might have been.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                My family moved to Aurora in 1964, the year after Frank Tripucka retired. My Dad and I became Bronco fans then.

There were twelve QBs who started games for the Broncos during the ten years between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson. Of them all, the only one many of us at the time thought had the ability to quarterback the Broncos to their first winning season was Marlin Briscoe.

There were coaches in the AFL at the time who had the possibility of seeing what "The Magician" could do at the QB position. Unfortunately Lou Saban wasn't one of them. He was ultra-conservative even by NFL standards at the time.

Marlin was a different kind of quarterback than most other pro QBs at the time, Fran Tarkenton being an exception. However, the other different thing about him which kept owners and coaches from trying him as a QB was being African-American. During and before the Sixties, quarterback, middle linebacker and center were positions for which many coaches, owners and fans thought black players didn't have the intelligence. Black players had been effectively banned from the NFL before WWII as per George Preston Marshall's "gentlemen's agreement".

My Dad and I were so disappointed when Saban wouldn't allow Marlin to be an AFL QB. Denver had a decent roster at the time, but lacked an effective QB. What might have been.
                That's a great post Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Projecting the what if, when you have a QB that has substantial success for a short while is easy to do, but the thing with Marlin Briscoe is that he was small and he never played QB again, so it is really hard to judge. Briscoe is an interesting story that seems like he should have had the chance to fail on the field, but he did switch successfully to WR.

Comment

RIP, Marlin.

Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

RIP, Marlin
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                      Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Working...
                      X