Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hackett qualified to be an NFL head coach?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Hackett qualified to be an NFL head coach?

    Interesting op Ed discussing why Hackett May have gotten the job and, perhaps more importantly, the lack of justification to keep him beyond this season if he doesn’t substantially improve.

    https://www.theringer.com/platform/a...t-offense-woes

    The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary. - Vince Lombardi

  • #2
    That was quick, 2 games, 1-1 .


    (The HC is not qualified????)


    With support from the players, ownership and the Fanbase he will be ok !!!!
    He just needs to iron out a few of the kinks.

    Comment


    • #3
      While I expect that things will settle down some and Hackett will look less completely inept and more like a first time HC as the season rolls on.... I don't expect him to see year 2. 2023 Broncos will be led by a bigger name, established HC that the new owners desire. I just don't see the richest guy in every room settling for a HC that struggled so much when, he can hire someone with a big resume instead. Sean Payton is1st that comes to mind.

      Here's to hoping Hackett starts proving himself ASAP.
      Last edited by jmz313; 09-21-2022, 09:42 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a hatchet piece rife with factual errors and omissions made to support the premise that the sky is falling.

        Hackett was the OC in Jacksonville for three seasons, not one or 1/2 as the author claims. The high mark there had his offense ranked 5th in points and 6th in yards and the Jags made it to the AFCCG in 2017.
        He was also the Bills OC for two years in 2013–2014.​ He has actual OC experience so the assertion that he was hired only because he was Rodgers' favorite clip-board holder to lure him in is asinine.

        And lost in all this is the fact that the Broncos are 1-1, not 0-2. While the single win was ugly, the single loss was by one point. Some of the errors include players not getting their feet in-bounds by millimeters which would have changed the verdict. Is this article still written if the Broncos are 2-0?

        It's not that criticism of Hackett and all his mistakes isn't warranted, but most of this stuff can be corrected, and it's still early.


        Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

        Comment


        • #5
          Hackett is a horrendous coach and the sooner he leaves, the better we'll be. From what I know, the hiring commitee for the HC had John Elway on it. The latter is totally inept at judging talent even though our GM had final say, Elway gave his input. Elway also needs to get away from this organisation as soon as possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            George to John after interviewing Nate— "What do you think?"

            John— "I like what I heard, he seems knowledgeable and upbeat with a good plan to fix the offense."

            Certain fan response "It's Elway's fault!!! He's a stain on this organization!!! Exile him forever!!!"

            Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
              That was quick, 2 games, 1-1 .


              (The HC is not qualified????)


              With support from the players, ownership and the Fanbase he will be ok !!!!
              He just needs to iron out a few of the kinks.

              I don’t disagree that it’s early to render decisions about such things. But, are you going to bury your head in the sand and deny that there are legit questions here?

              I think the article asks a particularly important question. After OTAs, training camp, the preseason with his particular take on this, and two games, what can be said about what he brings to the table so far? What has he done well? Because from the outside looking in, with hindsight it sure seems like every major decision about how to handle training camp, sitting his starters in preseason, team discipline, offensive game planning and play calling, and game management has been a blunder. He’s been gifted supposedly a future HOF QB and a stable of talent. Comparatively he is being outperformed by others with less.

              By anyone’s expectations, I think it’s fair to say that this has been far worse, far rougher and far more problematic than what were thought we were going to see. And so it’s reasonable to look back and ask what in his past would give us some confidence he’s going to be able to shake this thing out.

              The article suggests not much. It suggests the more-than-plausible explanation that the lure of Rogers may have clouded thinking and judgment and that maybe, just maybe, this was a bad decision based on hope for an outcome that didn’t come to pass. Maybe a hatchet job sure, but interesting to ponder.
              The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary. - Vince Lombardi

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Humberg View Post

                I don’t disagree that it’s early to render decisions about such things. But, are you going to bury your head in the sand and deny that there are legit questions here?

                I think the article asks a particularly important question. After OTAs, training camp, the preseason with his particular take on this, and two games, what can be said about what he brings to the table so far? What has he done well? Because from the outside looking in, with hindsight it sure seems like every major decision about how to handle training camp, sitting his starters in preseason, team discipline, offensive game planning and play calling, and game management has been a blunder. He’s been gifted supposedly a future HOF QB and a stable of talent. Comparatively he is being outperformed by others with less.

                By anyone’s expectations, I think it’s fair to say that this has been far worse, far rougher and far more problematic than what were thought we were going to see. And so it’s reasonable to look back and ask what in his past would give us some confidence he’s going to be able to shake this thing out.

                The article suggests not much. It suggests the more-than-plausible explanation that the lure of Rogers may have clouded thinking and judgment and that maybe, just maybe, this was a bad decision based on hope for an outcome that didn’t come to pass. Maybe a hatchet job sure, but interesting to ponder.
                No, I am just not getting hysterical.
                Sometimes people have to work into there jobs a bit.

                He has great football knowledge, energy, and pedigree.

                We'll see what happens.

                No sense in getting all willy nilly week 3.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Guys, it’s 2 games with a rookie coach….We’ve see this before with Vance and Vic. They kept making mistakes over and over for years, without improving. They also didn’t have a decent QB.

                  We’re not a bad team, we have no chemistry right now nor are we clicking yet.

                  Ive mentioned this next part in another thread, it will take at least 6 to 10 games minimum for things to look normal.

                  Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games and watch them get better and better week in and week out.
                  GO BIG OR GO HOME.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I take on board that its early days but i think i would have preferred a gruffier Sean McDermott type but then you've got the fans and the media baying for an aesthetic quarterbacking background , that so far granting the early days is the concern , first it was ticking the hiring a minority box then the seasoned old vet box Fangio who probably was never hired previously as hc because most insiders knew he wouldn't have been good enough and now its another box ticked with the Aaron Rodgers guy.
                    I don't know if someone like Robert Saleh would have been hired or allowed to prosper here without being constantly compared to the overrated Mike Shanahan.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Humberg View Post

                      I don’t disagree that it’s early to render decisions about such things. But, are you going to bury your head in the sand and deny that there are legit questions here?

                      I think the article asks a particularly important question. After OTAs, training camp, the preseason with his particular take on this, and two games, what can be said about what he brings to the table so far? What has he done well? Because from the outside looking in, with hindsight it sure seems like every major decision about how to handle training camp, sitting his starters in preseason, team discipline, offensive game planning and play calling, and game management has been a blunder. He’s been gifted supposedly a future HOF QB and a stable of talent. Comparatively he is being outperformed by others with less.

                      By anyone’s expectations, I think it’s fair to say that this has been far worse, far rougher and far more problematic than what were thought we were going to see. And so it’s reasonable to look back and ask what in his past would give us some confidence he’s going to be able to shake this thing out.

                      The article suggests not much. It suggests the more-than-plausible explanation that the lure of Rogers may have clouded thinking and judgment and that maybe, just maybe, this was a bad decision based on hope for an outcome that didn’t come to pass. Maybe a hatchet job sure, but interesting to ponder.
                      Well, all appointnents are a punt to some degree. At least in Hackett's case, he has been an OC with three NFL teams, with some success in Jacksonville and also in Green Bay.

                      I have no doubt that part of deciding to go with Hackett was trying to lure Rodgers - after all the team has made no secret that Rodgers was the no.1 target. However, they also knew that the Rodgers trade would be difficult and in my view thought Hackett would be a top choice for any leading QB.

                      I agree, however, that so far (at least as far as we can see) Hackett has not impressed anyone in Denver.
                      Last edited by GMTD; 09-21-2022, 11:58 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Idk. I've been as dissapointed as anyone with how this team has looked in the first couple weeks.


                        However, it's incredibly early to make any sort of determination.

                        Bill Walsh struggled mightily in his first couple seasons in SF. Belichick had rough starts in Cleveland and New England. Tom Landry was absolutely miserable in his first few seasons with the Cowboys. Not saying we have a HOFer on our hands but trying to judge if someone is qualified after 2 poor looking games is a bit of a stretch. I understand we live in the age of instant gratification and in sports that is put into hyperdrive, but man, I think at least two full seasons before we can confidently say what type of coach Hackett is going to be. I think if he keeps his wits about him and weather's these rough patches he'll figure things out. None of us will ever know what it feels like to make game-critical decisions at that level. If the moment turns out to be too big for him, so be it, that will reveal itself in his record and decisions, but I certainly am not going to make any sort of a judgement at this point.
                        A book I wrote

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          k may as well fire Paton too. Paton had a bigger hand than Elway on who to interview/hire. nothing paton has done so far would indicate the kind of silliness suggested that hackett was hired for the mere possibility of luring rodgers here.

                          he's been around football all his life. either he will adjust and get better or he won't. its really as simple as that.
                          Glen Haven Fire

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 309a View Post
                            Guys, it’s 2 games with a rookie coach….We’ve see this before with Vance and Vic. They kept making mistakes over and over for years, without improving. They also didn’t have a decent QB.

                            We’re not a bad team, we have no chemistry right now nor are we clicking yet.

                            Ive mentioned this next part in another thread, it will take at least 6 to 10 games minimum for things to look normal.

                            Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games and watch them get better and better week in and week out.
                            And therein lies the rub.. We've had recent, and painful examples (Vic n Vance), of Rookie HC's not learning from their mistakes so it's reasonable to ask... what makes Hackett any different? Where in Hacketts history does it provide hope?

                            I'm expecting improvement in the teams performance as they become more familiar with the new scheme and team mates, but this is down to the players.

                            Aside from pure faith, why does anyone think Hsckett can... hack it?

                            I didn't see much real improved between game 1 and 2, except the W..

                            Hope I'm wrong. In a big way.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I like the way the offense is moving the ball, but it would be nice if they would start scoring more.

                              Either you hire an old experienced veteran head coach, or you hire a new inexperienced head coach, and then you have to take your lumps with the growing pains.

                              In the NFL there's so many young coaches.

                              I think it's the only way to go.

                              Mr. B was ahead of his time, a visionary, when he hired Josh McDaniels.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X