Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hackett qualified to be an NFL head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    What we see on the sideline on game day is less than 10% of the time the coaches put in during a week. However, the decisions made by the HC and play callers on game day can determine whether or not the team wins. Game day decisions are informed by scouting, game planning, practice scheduling and coaching, but we don't get to see any of that. So, what is called seems like it is only in that moment.

The question, "Is Hackett qualified to be an NFL head coach?" cannot be conclusively answered without detailed knowledge of his whole program and how he leads it. Only those at Dove Valley, especially his superiors, have a clue. All we have is game day.

IMO Nate Hackett needs to make up his mind if and how he's going to be a head coach, or if he is just first among equals of a bunch of frat bros. He has said some concerning things about his decision-making process on the sideline. He said he needs clear and concise communication and that he needs to be receiving certain information. Hackett is trying to be Head Coach and call the offense. He makes it sound like he's having a conference call with every assistant who is wearing a head set and mike. If that is happening, it must stop.

Nate, you're the HC and play caller for the O. There is the game clock, the play clock, the FP, the D&D and you are holding a play list which should be organized by formations from which certain plays can be run and in which situations. There is probably a script as well. If you are allowing underlings access to your ear while trying to call plays, no wonder you seem to lack focus. Also, what are you writing down on the sideline? There isn't time for that. Someone else needs to do that and have it ready when you need it. So, take the pens out of your hat because you're not at practice; it's game day with a play clock.

Each member of the coaching staff should have a clear job description on game day. That is especially true of the nine assistant coaches who weren't on an NFL staff last year. Hackett needs to be crystal clear with all of them what their responsibility is and hold them accountable. No one should be in the box unless there is something specific they are assigned to do, like telling the DC which personnel package the opposing O is sending in.

Guys who are compiling information to inform the offensive play caller should do that and keep their mouths shut unless they are asked a question by said play caller. Really, the only guy in the box who should have access to Hackett's ear is the OC, Justin Outten, and he should not speak unless Hackett asks him a question. He should be flanked in the box by the offensive assistants who are focused on their assigned tasks.

If any of these observations are accurate, they are easily corrected by clear organization led by the HC and communicated in such a way as to emphasize that the HC has a vision which is subordinate to nothing else. Nate Hackett, you are the HC and offensive play caller. Have a plan, be focused and make it happen. If calling plays is making you less effective as a HC, relinquish that job to someone else and focus on your whole team: players, coaches and staff.
    I've seen a couple takes on him from other coaches with similar backgrounds though:

Matt LaFleur: "He'll figure it out, no doubt about it. So everybody needs to stop hitting that panic button down there."

Kyle Shanahan: "I mean I remember my first game, I went for it four times. And they were ones I should not have gone for and I’d never done that before. And that’s when I realized, you can’t think like the coordinators. Those are all experiences you go through for the first time but he’s done this for a while and you guys have a good coach there and very good offensive play caller."​

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

I've seen a couple takes on him from other coaches with similar backgrounds though:

Matt LaFleur: "He'll figure it out, no doubt about it. So everybody needs to stop hitting that panic button down there."

Kyle Shanahan: "I mean I remember my first game, I went for it four times. And they were ones I should not have gone for and I’d never done that before. And that’s when I realized, you can’t think like the coordinators. Those are all experiences you go through for the first time but he’s done this for a while and you guys have a good coach there and very good offensive play caller."​
      Those are comforting comments. Wonder how much practice time was spent on running Fullback Speed-O?
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post

Hysterical? Willy nilly? I like it when those that oppose my viewpoint resort to name calling. It usually means I’m winning the factual argument.

I simply asked you to point out some positives from Hackett to date. You didn’t (or couldn’t) and said I (or others like me) represent a hysterical fan base for asking the question. Solid.

I guess that’s….

Point = me.
        what facts have you presented? an op Ed piece that presents the same opinions that were voiced when the hiring process was on going?

the speculation in the article about how the walton jenner group didnt want wilson, they wanted rodgers...wheres the proof? they became the owners after russell was traded for. he even presents information that goes against his own argument in that they traded for wilson shortly after rodgers resigned with gb. I can pretty much make a strong case that the trade was worked on for a while before it happened do to all the pieces involved.

he speculates about how much this offense is Hacketts own and how much it's Wilson's without any proof of anything. it was stated at the beginning that they would work together to come up with a good offensive that fits what they have. what are you presenting that argues against that?

if they came up with a whole new offense and staff....theres gonna be hiccups. what matters is if they get better and 2 games isn't enough to come up with a conclusion

IF paton hired hackett because of the small possibility they could get rodgers then he should be fired. you dont run a team that way and nothing paton has done so far indicates that hes a "rely on the lottery odds" type of gm. it also means he lied when asked about it.

how can he not have a good football iq? he's been in a football locker room his entire life. that's not the question that should be asked. what should be asked is if he is just an engineer or is he the operator or both?

that's all the time i have right now to go into this...
        Last edited by armedequation; 09-22-2022, 01:13 PM.
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Those are comforting comments. Wonder how much practice time was spent on running Fullback Speed-O?
          lol. I commented about that play in the gameday thread. I had to watch it twice to make sure my eyes hadn't deceived me. I agree with what you said about having too many cooks in the kitchen too.

Comment

Of course he’s “qualified”. He’s been in the league for many years as an assistant with some good success. Everyone in the world works their way up until they are qualified enough to get their big break.

The question isn’t really about qualifications. It’s more about just being good at it. Mixed bag so far with some facepalm moments. It’s still way early and there’s a lot more to be seen. We’ll see if he can right the ship.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

what facts have you presented? an op Ed piece that presents the same opinions that were voiced when the hiring process was on going?

the speculation in the article about how the walton jenner group didnt want wilson, they wanted rodgers...wheres the proof? they became the owners after russell was traded for. he even presents information that goes against his own argument in that they traded for wilson shortly after rodgers resigned with gb. I can pretty much make a strong case that the trade was worked on for a while before it happened do to all the pieces involved.

he speculates about how much this offense is Hackettstown and how much it's Wilson's without any proof of anything. it was stated at the beginning that they would work together to come up with a good offensive that fits what they have. what are you presenting that argues against that?

if they came up with a whole new offense and staff....theres gonna be hiccups. what matters is if they get better and 2 games isn't enough to come up with a conclusion

IF paton hired hackett because of the small possibility they could get rodgers then he should be fired. you dont run a team that way and nothing paton has done so far indicates that hes a "rely ont he lottery odds" type of gm. it also means he lied when asked about it.

how can he not have a good football iq? he's been in a football locker room his entire life. that's not the question that should be asked. what should be asked is if he is just an engineer or is he the operator or both?

that's all the time i have right now to go into this...
              I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                Of course he’s “qualified”. He’s been in the league for many years as an assistant with some good success. Everyone in the world works their way up until they are qualified enough to get their big break.

The question isn’t really about qualifications. It’s more about just being good at it. Mixed bag so far with some facepalm moments. It’s still way early and there’s a lot more to be seen. We’ll see if he can right the ship.
                Thank you RocketArm.
                a little patience goes a long way.

Quoting an over-critical opinion editorial does not justify the hatchet job that some are intending to place on our new head coach.
                It will take a couple of seasons to determine whether any head coach has the qualifications to retain a head coaching position in the NFL.
                Some teams lack stability simply because they go thru head coaches and QBs so rapidly that they never find their stride in new offensive plans.
                I hope that we are not like that. I hope that we give this new head coach a chance and support him in the process of finding his stride at the new level he is undertaking.

Each week should begin to get a little better. It's early in the season still.
                I believe we will win the game against San Francisco by dominating on defense, and ...
                aggressively attacking with a balanced offense that uses a dynamic passing game with a clock-controlling ground game.

We have Russ and Court (so don't panic)
                We have a Javonte run game with a Melvin breather as needed.
                We have TEs and FBs that can assist in blocking or pave the road when needed.
                There is a reason that this offense is top ten in yardage.

Okay, so we had our first loss a couple weeks ago.
                Mike Shanahan used to say he was happy as long as he averaged 3 wins out of every 4 games. 2 more wins and we are right there.
                Can we not wait 8 games to see if we are on that track, if not how about at least 4 games.

After we win this game against San Francisco, we will just need one more to be in Shanny's happy place.

Go Broncos

Comment

You all act like I’m asking for him to be fired. I’ve made it clear I am not. I’m just asking, what has he done before the Broncos and here that speak to his qualifications?

He’s only called plays for one season before this and got fired by Marrone halfway through the season. He’s been a part of some good offenses, but those were Marrone offenses and LaFleur offenses and that last one had Rogers running it.

Here, he’s 0-6 in the red zone.

Previous posts here have acted shocked that I’m asking about his football IQ. Let’s see:

1) 4th and 5, to win the game, should I:

a) put it in the hands of my running back averaging 5 yards a carry
                  b) but it in the hands of my future HOF QB
                  c) attempt a bazillion yard field goal (of which only 2/41 have been successful in the history of the NFL)

Short yardage situation, should I:

same a and b choices above or
                  c) run a tight end option with my third string tight end

I could go on but you get my point. Calling timeouts when the game is decided? Not fielding a punt return with a returner taking the field? Can’t I question his football judgment? His football IQ?

At least the Cap Jack here took my question seriously. Okay, the offense is moving decently between the chains, although not always and against some pretty weak teams.

But if doing that against weak teams and coach having high energy (if I hear that one more time I swear…) is all that we have seen so far, I really don’t think it is too early to question this. If those are really the only positives, then that result is, without question, a colossal disappointment from anything anyone expected.
                  The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary. - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yes, Coach has made a few boneheaded mistakes. I just want to see things improve. I think he seems to have a good relationship with RW (for now) and I think that's important to them building something good with our offense.

He might just turn out to be a big goofy lummox, time will tell?????

Comment

I don’t disagree that it’s early to render decisions about such things. But, are you going to bury your head in the sand and deny that there are legit questions here?

I think the article asks a particularly important question. After OTAs, training camp, the preseason with his particular take on this, and two games, what can be said about what he brings to the table so far? What has he done well? Because from the outside looking in, with hindsight it sure seems like every major decision about how to handle training camp, sitting his starters in preseason, team discipline, offensive game planning and play calling, and game management has been a blunder. He’s been gifted supposedly a future HOF QB and a stable of talent. Comparatively he is being outperformed by others with less.

By anyone’s expectations, I think it’s fair to say that this has been far worse, far rougher and far more problematic than what were thought we were going to see. And so it’s reasonable to look back and ask what in his past would give us some confidence he’s going to be able to shake this thing out.

The article suggests not much. It suggests the more-than-plausible explanation that the lure of Rogers may have clouded thinking and judgment and that maybe, just maybe, this was a bad decision based on hope for an outcome that didn’t come to pass. Maybe a hatchet job sure, but interesting to ponder.
                      There is no doubt that we all have questions relating to Hackets performance thus far, like we also justifiably had with VJ and Fangio. Hacket comes in a bit like McDaniels did - as a relatively blank slate, where any sane person would expect growing pains. McDaniels had a stormy offseason - a few weeks later we all loved him, and then things changed and deteriorated. VJ came in and did well in a few games, but then it showed that he was totally incompetent at game speed. Fangio as well had a rough time.

What is positive with Hacket is that 2nd half both weeks have been much better than first half - something that never hapopened with VJ and Fangio, and mostly did with McDaniels. Hacket seems right now to have information overload and as a rookie QB he needs the game to slow down. That to me is preferable to a HC that does not learn.

Personally I think that both Russel Wilson and Hacket are responsible for all the mental errors and delays of game penalties. Right now Wilson's leadership qualities are not showing, but I believe they will soon. It just feels like the breakout game is coming for both HC and QB

Comment

Originally posted by mark222b View Post

Thank you RocketArm.
                        a little patience goes a long way.

Quoting an over-critical opinion editorial does not justify the hatchet job that some are intending to place on our new head coach.
                        It will take a couple of seasons to determine whether any head coach has the qualifications to retain a head coaching position in the NFL.
                        Some teams lack stability simply because they go thru head coaches and QBs so rapidly that they never find their stride in new offensive plans.
                        I hope that we are not like that. I hope that we give this new head coach a chance and support him in the process of finding his stride at the new level he is undertaking.

Each week should begin to get a little better. It's early in the season still.
                        I believe we will win the game against San Francisco by dominating on defense, and ...
                        aggressively attacking with a balanced offense that uses a dynamic passing game with a clock-controlling ground game.

We have Russ and Court (so don't panic)
                        We have a Javonte run game with a Melvin breather as needed.
                        We have TEs and FBs that can assist in blocking or pave the road when needed.
                        There is a reason that this offense is top ten in yardage.

Okay, so we had our first loss a couple weeks ago.
                        Mike Shanahan used to say he was happy as long as he averaged 3 wins out of every 4 games. 2 more wins and we are right there.
                        Can we not wait 8 games to see if we are on that track, if not how about at least 4 games.

After we win this game against San Francisco, we will just need one more to be in Shanny's happy place.

Go Broncos

I really think it comes down to expectations. There are a lot of fans who expected instant lights out play and nothing else would be acceptable. There are a zillion posts from the offseason and into the season that sound like “we paid RW and brought in an offensive coach, so I expect Super Bowl caliber play”.

I have tempered expectations. I always thought it would be bumpy at the beginning. Granted, it’s been a bit bumpier than I expected, but it hasn’t been completely awful and there has been some signs that the offense can be very good. Defense has been solid thus far.

Point is that two games isn’t really enough to jump to conclusions either way. I’m willing to give it some more time before I come to any sort of conclusion.
                        sigpic

Comment

A smart organization would quickly chalk this up as a loss and throw picks at NO to get Payton.

this isn’t working, it won’t work and he’s not HC material. He bleeping sucks, let’s move on
                          -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play EVERY time on every drive. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL View Post
                            A smart organization would quickly chalk this up as a loss and throw picks at NO to get Payton.

this isn’t working, it won’t work and he’s not HC material. He bleeping sucks, let’s move on
                            Payton is waiting for next year and probably isn’t as good as people think. Who’s to say Hackett won’t be just as good after he works out the kinks?

For what they gave up to get Wilson and the money they already gave him, it was fair to expect instant positive results, especially against bad teams. What we got in the first two games was unsatisfactory. Most of it can be laid at the coach’s feet and some at the quarterback’s feet. The Broncos can give Hackett the season to get it right.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

In the first few games I expected some misteps on offense, some wrong routes and generally out of sync plays and some offside penalties. I also expected some poor play calling.
                              on defense some busted coverage/assignments

I also expected decent clock management, judicious use of time outs, getting 11 (no more no less) players on the fields every down, decent adjustments on offensive play calling and playing the percentages.

We got the first, but not the second... and that's got to improve. I think the mistakes on the field will be ironed out but the second.... let's see.

Comment

You all act like I’m asking for him to be fired. I’ve made it clear I am not. I’m just asking, what has he done before the Broncos and here that speak to his qualifications?

He’s only called plays for one season before this and got fired by Marrone halfway through the season. He’s been a part of some good offenses, but those were Marrone offenses and LaFleur offenses and that last one had Rogers running it.

Here, he’s 0-6 in the red zone.

Previous posts here have acted shocked that I’m asking about his football IQ. Let’s see:

1) 4th and 5, to win the game, should I:

a) put it in the hands of my running back averaging 5 yards a carry
                                b) but it in the hands of my future HOF QB
                                c) attempt a bazillion yard field goal (of which only 2/41 have been successful in the history of the NFL)

Short yardage situation, should I:

same a and b choices above or
                                c) run a tight end option with my third string tight end

I could go on but you get my point. Calling timeouts when the game is decided? Not fielding a punt return with a returner taking the field? Can’t I question his football judgment? His football IQ?

At least the Cap Jack here took my question seriously. Okay, the offense is moving decently between the chains, although not always and against some pretty weak teams.

But if doing that against weak teams and coach having high energy (if I hear that one more time I swear…) is all that we have seen so far, I really don’t think it is too early to question this. If those are really the only positives, then that result is, without question, a colossal disappointment from anything anyone expected.
                                but you are either ignoring certain aspects or didnt see posts in response. Spice had a good one where it quotes coaches about Hackett. go back and read it.

Hackett called the offense for the jags during that run. they had injuries the next year and it was pretty much either marrone or hackett that was going to be fired and we know how that played out. this was all discussed ad nauseum during the hiring process.

everyone says Lafleur called the plays in gb....that may be true but who designed the offense? I still can't find a clear answer for that. I mean you can question his iq all you want but in the end he was hired by football executives who know football.

theres positives that have been mentioned by other posters as well like ability to adjust during the game. open to trying new things which was kryptonight to the last coaching regime. being a total players coach which is a complete pendulum swing from fangio (this can also be a bad thing).

Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                                X